Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

devel / comp.protocols.dicom / Re: Multiframe dimensions for volume generation

SubjectAuthor
* Multiframe dimensions for volume generationMarius Herzog
`- Multiframe dimensions for volume generationWim Corbijn

1
Multiframe dimensions for volume generation

<249516c5-2145-4af2-90fa-0401b20cefefn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=696&group=comp.protocols.dicom#696

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dicom
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 02:31:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Multiframe dimensions for volume generation
From: priv@mariusherzog.net (Marius Herzog)
 by: Marius Herzog - Fri, 12 May 2023 09:31 UTC

I'm looking into the Multiframe dimension module to get information on how to construct correct volumes from the frame data.
However, the order of the dimensions in the sample in C.7.6.1.17 as well as some real-word data surprised me. Often the order specfied is: Stack ID, In-Stack Position Number, Echo Time. So when I'd scroll through the 2D data, I'd first see all "temporal" frames that are at a specified location, before moving on to the next spatial position.
For 3D reconstruction however I would expect the spatial dimension to always be the last index, so I have contiguous frames building a volume. Can I rearrange the order for my own purposes when doing 3D reconstruction, or is there something I need to consider?

Re: Multiframe dimensions for volume generation

<de176aba-fa72-45dc-bb93-0c5bc213da5dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=700&group=comp.protocols.dicom#700

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dicom
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 20:49:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Multiframe dimensions for volume generation
From: c.w.corbijn@gmail.com (Wim Corbijn)
 by: Wim Corbijn - Mon, 15 May 2023 03:49 UTC

Hi Marius,

You can order the data as you want, the order given is just the preferred order from the creating system. This might be because they acquired it this way or any other reason.
Typically you will find indeed a single stack that is repeated several times with mostly In-Stack position number next to the Stack Id.
So for reconstruction you just need to select all In-Stack positions with the same StackID and Echo-Time and you have your volume.
Internally you can show any order that is correct for yor application or has the preference of the Physician.

When you have a spine you might encounter one of the few Multi Stack cases, be aware of that.
Success
Wim