Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed. -- Neil Armstrong

devel / comp.protocols.dicom / MWL C-FIND and timezones

SubjectAuthor
* MWL C-FIND and timezonesAlon Dolev
+* MWL C-FIND and timezonesRoni Zaharia
|`- MWL C-FIND and timezonesAlon Dolev
`* MWL C-FIND and timezonesMathieu Malaterre
 `- MWL C-FIND and timezonesAlon Dolev

1
MWL C-FIND and timezones

<7634e86d-da0f-41ee-bdb4-b388b9e2b69cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=783&group=comp.protocols.dicom#783

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dicom
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 02:08:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: MWL C-FIND and timezones
From: alon.dolev@positrigo.com (Alon Dolev)
 by: Alon Dolev - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 09:08 UTC

Dear group,

We are implementing a modality that does C-FIND requests to get modaliy worklist items. We use a range matching on the scheduled procedure step start date, and scheduled procedure step start time. In our system all times are handled in UTC, and we would like to commuciate with the PACS in UTC as well. It is unclear to us how we should go about that. This is what we have discovered

- We can set Timezone Offset From UTC on the C-FIND request root dataset to +0000, but we are not sure if this means that the time we are sending is in UTC, or that the time we would like to receive is going to be in UTC, or maybe even both?
- There is an extended negotiation that we can do which is called Timezone query adjustment, but we are not sure how it is related to the mechanisms described above, as our tests PACS (dcm4chee) does not seem to behave differently when this is turned on or off, or maybe we are doing something wrong?

We are starting to suspect that timezone handling is not well supported in todays PACS, and that we might better not rely on it. Does anybody have input on tha

Any answer, however short, will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Alon

Re: MWL C-FIND and timezones

<1dfcaf1a-ab46-426c-a12c-0f02ea7a88e9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=789&group=comp.protocols.dicom#789

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dicom
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 07:44:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: MWL C-FIND and timezones
From: roni@hrzkit.com (Roni Zaharia)
 by: Roni Zaharia - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 14:44 UTC

On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 12:08:27 PM UTC+3, Alon Dolev wrote:
> Dear group,
>
> We are implementing a modality that does C-FIND requests to get modaliy worklist items. We use a range matching on the scheduled procedure step start date, and scheduled procedure step start time. In our system all times are handled in UTC, and we would like to commuciate with the PACS in UTC as well. It is unclear to us how we should go about that. This is what we have discovered
>
> - We can set Timezone Offset From UTC on the C-FIND request root dataset to +0000, but we are not sure if this means that the time we are sending is in UTC, or that the time we would like to receive is going to be in UTC, or maybe even both?
> - There is an extended negotiation that we can do which is called Timezone query adjustment, but we are not sure how it is related to the mechanisms described above, as our tests PACS (dcm4chee) does not seem to behave differently when this is turned on or off, or maybe we are doing something wrong?
>
> We are starting to suspect that timezone handling is not well supported in todays PACS, and that we might better not rely on it. Does anybody have input on tha
>
> Any answer, however short, will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Alon
Hi Alon,
Very rare. In general you should relay only on the mandatory most basic implementation and even then reserve space for vendor specific discounts. DICOM is an open standard. There're many implementations each making their own interpretation of the standard just like you do.
Roni

Re: MWL C-FIND and timezones

<dd7dc51b-426b-46e2-aa85-5b044d94c3c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=790&group=comp.protocols.dicom#790

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dicom
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:39:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: alon.dolev@positrigo.com (Alon Dolev)
 by: Alon Dolev - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 15:39 UTC

Thank you Roni for your reply. Very helpful. Alon

On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 4:44:14 PM UTC+2, Roni Zaharia wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 12:08:27 PM UTC+3, Alon Dolev wrote:
> > Dear group,
> >
> > We are implementing a modality that does C-FIND requests to get modaliy worklist items. We use a range matching on the scheduled procedure step start date, and scheduled procedure step start time. In our system all times are handled in UTC, and we would like to commuciate with the PACS in UTC as well. It is unclear to us how we should go about that. This is what we have discovered
> >
> > - We can set Timezone Offset From UTC on the C-FIND request root dataset to +0000, but we are not sure if this means that the time we are sending is in UTC, or that the time we would like to receive is going to be in UTC, or maybe even both?
> > - There is an extended negotiation that we can do which is called Timezone query adjustment, but we are not sure how it is related to the mechanisms described above, as our tests PACS (dcm4chee) does not seem to behave differently when this is turned on or off, or maybe we are doing something wrong?
> >
> > We are starting to suspect that timezone handling is not well supported in todays PACS, and that we might better not rely on it. Does anybody have input on tha
> >
> > Any answer, however short, will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Alon
> Hi Alon,
> Very rare. In general you should relay only on the mandatory most basic implementation and even then reserve space for vendor specific discounts. DICOM is an open standard. There're many implementations each making their own interpretation of the standard just like you do.
> Roni

Re: MWL C-FIND and timezones

<4e5535d7-5eb8-4c89-b89f-2547acf0955bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=791&group=comp.protocols.dicom#791

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dicom
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 23:20:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com (Mathieu Malaterre)
 by: Mathieu Malaterre - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 06:20 UTC

On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 11:08:27 AM UTC+2, Alon Dolev wrote:
> Dear group,
>
> We are implementing a modality that does C-FIND requests to get modaliy worklist items. We use a range matching on the scheduled procedure step start date, and scheduled procedure step start time. In our system all times are handled in UTC, and we would like to commuciate with the PACS in UTC as well. It is unclear to us how we should go about that. This is what we have discovered
>
> - We can set Timezone Offset From UTC on the C-FIND request root dataset to +0000, but we are not sure if this means that the time we are sending is in UTC, or that the time we would like to receive is going to be in UTC, or maybe even both?
> - There is an extended negotiation that we can do which is called Timezone query adjustment, but we are not sure how it is related to the mechanisms described above, as our tests PACS (dcm4chee) does not seem to behave differently when this is turned on or off, or maybe we are doing something wrong?
>
> We are starting to suspect that timezone handling is not well supported in todays PACS, and that we might better not rely on it. Does anybody have input on tha
>
> Any answer, however short, will be greatly appreciated.

If you have not found them yet, did you check:

* https://groups.google.com/g/comp.protocols.dicom/c/MMca_hurWOM/m/z0zC1_MPAwAJ
* https://groups.google.com/g/comp.protocols.dicom/c/-skycy7S-e4/m/aFj4noY8dk0J

Re: MWL C-FIND and timezones

<b529bbb3-3f36-4af8-b2d0-e3b3b17de2dcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=793&group=comp.protocols.dicom#793

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dicom
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 04:36:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: alon.dolev@positrigo.com (Alon Dolev)
 by: Alon Dolev - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 11:36 UTC

Thank you very much Mathieu for the links.