From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: [rslight] Enforce Authenticated NNTP Access?
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 00:07:31 +0000
 by: SugarBug - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 00:07 UTC

I would like to set up a rslight install that does not allow unauthenticated users to list groups or read articles.

Is there a way to prevent anonymous NNTP reader access and require authentication to list newsgroups and issue commands?

I am thinking along the lines of how Eternal September has their newsgroup access configured. A user must have an account to see the newsgroups or pull articles.

--
3883@sugar.bug | sybershock.com | alt.sources.crypto | sci.crypt

Re: [rslight] Enforce Authenticated NNTP Access?

<ea643b44046d76ff95c6e01529095d48$1@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1031&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#1031

From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: [rslight] Enforce Authenticated NNTP Access?
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 17:15:49 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 00:15 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 00:07:31 +0000, SugarBug wrote:

> I would like to set up a rslight install that does not allow unauthenticated users to list groups or read articles.
>
> Is there a way to prevent anonymous NNTP reader access and require authentication to list newsgroups and issue commands?
>
> I am thinking along the lines of how Eternal September has their newsgroup access configured. A user must have an account to see the newsgroups or pull articles.

That feature does not exist, but I can add it. It's a good feature as long
as there is a config toggle to turn it on or off.

Right now you can read without auth, but auth is required for posting. At
least it's meant to be that way unless you're seeing otherwise.

At first, I would just require auth for all groups. We could add a config
array after that to allow some groups but it's just more work.

I'll take a look at starting on this in a couple of days.

Re: [rslight] Enforce Authenticated NNTP Access?

<cebcc51dc8820099df91651ccddfde33$1@sybershock.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1032&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#1032

From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 01:41:38 +0000
 by: SugarBug - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 01:41 UTC

On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 17:15:49 -0700
Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 00:07:31 +0000, SugarBug wrote:
>
> > I would like to set up a rslight install that does not allow unauthenticated users to list groups or read articles.
> >
> > Is there a way to prevent anonymous NNTP reader access and require authentication to list newsgroups and issue commands?
> >
> > I am thinking along the lines of how Eternal September has their newsgroup access configured. A user must have an account to see the newsgroups or pull articles.
>
> That feature does not exist, but I can add it. It's a good feature as long
> as there is a config toggle to turn it on or off.
>
> Right now you can read without auth, but auth is required for posting. At
> least it's meant to be that way unless you're seeing otherwise.
>
> At first, I would just require auth for all groups. We could add a config
> array after that to allow some groups but it's just more work.
>
> I'll take a look at starting on this in a couple of days.

Great! I'll check back probably by the weekend and test it.

--
3883@sugar.bug | sybershock.com | alt.sources.crypto | sci.crypt

Re: [rslight] Enforce Authenticated NNTP Access?

<cb758ad2e2202d0779e17e48c3d0cdc2$1@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1033&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#1033

From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 20:05:37 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 03:05 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 01:41:38 +0000, SugarBug wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 17:15:49 -0700
> Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 00:07:31 +0000, SugarBug wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to set up a rslight install that does not allow unauthenticated users to list groups or read articles.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to prevent anonymous NNTP reader access and require authentication to list newsgroups and issue commands?
>>>
>>> I am thinking along the lines of how Eternal September has their newsgroup access configured. A user must have an account to see the newsgroups or pull articles.
>>
>> That feature does not exist, but I can add it. It's a good feature as long
>> as there is a config toggle to turn it on or off.
>>
>> Right now you can read without auth, but auth is required for posting. At
>> least it's meant to be that way unless you're seeing otherwise.
>>
>> At first, I would just require auth for all groups. We could add a config
>> array after that to allow some groups but it's just more work.
>>
>> I'll take a look at starting on this in a couple of days.
>
> Great! I'll check back probably by the weekend and test it.

I have it working now, but I'll do some more testing before I push it to
gitlab. It was pretty simple.

Re: [rslight] Enforce Authenticated NNTP Access?

<1fc46c655f43fdf636c5b03fe4d7b2bb@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1034&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#1034

From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 10:19:08 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 10:19 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 01:41:38 +0000, SugarBug wrote:

>> On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 17:15:49 -0700
>> Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.org> wrote:

>>> That feature does not exist, but I can add it. It's a good feature as long
>>> as there is a config toggle to turn it on or off.
>>>
>>> Right now you can read without auth, but auth is required for posting. At
>>> least it's meant to be that way unless you're seeing otherwise.
>>>
>>> At first, I would just require auth for all groups. We could add a config
>>> array after that to allow some groups but it's just more work.
>>>
>>> I'll take a look at starting on this in a couple of days.
>>
>> Great! I'll check back probably by the weekend and test it.

> I have it working now, but I'll do some more testing before I push it to
> gitlab. It was pretty simple.

This commit has been pushed to gitlab:
https://gitlab.com/rslight-public/rocksolid-light

The changed file is $config_dir/scripts/rslight-lib.php

You need to enable this feature in overrides.inc.php by adding:

// Require authentication for all commands to nntp server
'nntp_full_auth_required' => true,

This will require auth for all commands to nntp server (not mode, authinfo or quit of course).

--
Retro Guy

Re: [rslight] Enforce Authenticated NNTP Access?

<77917d0f80fa884decb3ceece255a35a@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1039&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#1039

From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 23:26:02 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 23:26 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Retro Guy wrote:

>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 01:41:38 +0000, SugarBug wrote:

>>> Great! I'll check back probably by the weekend and test it.

>> I have it working now, but I'll do some more testing before I push it to
>> gitlab. It was pretty simple.

> This commit has been pushed to gitlab:
> https://gitlab.com/rslight-public/rocksolid-light

> The changed file is $config_dir/scripts/rslight-lib.php

> You need to enable this feature in overrides.inc.php by adding:

> // Require authentication for all commands to nntp server
> 'nntp_full_auth_required' => true,

> This will require auth for all commands to nntp server (not mode, authinfo or quit of course).

Did this end up working for you?

--
Retro Guy