Subject: Activists created a 12.5 million block digital library in 'Minecraft'
to bypass censorship laws
From: xi@china.gov (Xi Jinping)
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 13:15:11 -0400 (EDT)
Newsgroups: alt.censorship, comp.misc, comp.games.development.design,
rocksolid.shared.general
 by: Xi Jinping - Sat, 9 May 2020 17:15 UTC

Media freedom advocates are meeting people where they are, and apparently, that's "Minecraft." The block-building game, which Microsoft bought in 2014 for $2.5 billion, has been one of the most popular games worldwide over the last 10 years. As of September, it had a staggering 112 million active players every month, a number that has reportedly grown to 145 million.

Reporters Without Borders created "The Uncensored Library" within "Minecraft" as what it calls a "loophole to overcome censorship." The digital library in an open "Minecraft" server has articles and information that has been censored in many countries, but is accessible through the game. RSF said that it chose "Minecraft" because it is available in many more places than sensitive information likely to be censored. For example, Yulia Berezovskaia, editor-in-chief of the Russian news site grani.ru, which is blocked in Russia, said she's working with RSF to republish articles from her website on "Minecraft."

Minecraft declined to comment.

<https://www.businessinsider.com/minecraft-library-censored-newspaper-articles-online-books-rsf-reporters-borders-2020-3>

Re: Activists created a 12.5 million block digital library in 'Minecraft' to bypass censorship laws

<abd97e393cd2ad2fc8e0e73e6e0964c0$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=133&group=rocksolid.shared.general#133

From: Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
to bypass censorship laws
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 20:50 UTC
 by: Mei - Sat, 9 May 2020 20:50 UTC

> Minecraft declined to comment.

I don't understand what you expected a video game to think or say about this story.
--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p

Re: Activists created a 12.5 million block digital library in 'Minecraft' to bypass censorship laws

<641f24454efb5b13376417ba481e8344$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=168&group=rocksolid.shared.general#168

From: AnonUser@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
to bypass censorship laws
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 19:29:02 +0000
 by: AnonUser - Wed, 7 Oct 2020 19:29 UTC

How much should we worry that the censors will respond by wholly blocking that game? Or maybe that's a good thing, to make the players of that game care.. I dunno, it seems dangerous---the tactic could spiral into the censors blocking everything---and why should we drag persons who aren't involved into it?
--
Posted on: novaBBS
www.novabbs.com