Subject: EFF - Deeplinks
From: rslight rss feeds
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Followup: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 01:18 UTC
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 01:18:58 +0000
From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
View all headers
Hollywood’s Insistence on New Draconian Copyright Rules Is Not About Protecting Artists
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/09/hollywoods-insistence-new-draconian-copyright-rules-not-about-protecting-artists
September 1, 2022, 7:28 PM
Stop us if you’ve heard these: piracy is driving artists out of business. The reason they are starving is because no one pays for things, just illegally downloads them. You wouldn’t steal a car. These arguments are old and being dragged back out to get support for rules that would strangle online expression. And they are, as ever, about Hollywood wanting to control creativity and not protecting artists.
When it comes to box office numbers, they’ve remained pretty consistent except when a g...
--------------------
How Ad Tech Became Cop Spy Tech
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/08/how-ad-tech-became-cop-spy-tech
September 1, 2022, 5:25 AM
This article is part of EFF’s investigation of location data brokers and Fog Data Science. Be sure to check out our issue page on Location Data Brokers.
If a company wants to advertise something to you on the internet, it first has to know who you are and what you like to buy. There are many different approaches to gathering this data, but all generally have one goal in common: they link you with the data generated by your devices.
If law enforcement wants to track you via data generated by yo...
--------------------
Fog Revealed: A Guided Tour of How Cops Can Browse Your Location Data
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/08/fog-revealed-guided-tour-how-cops-can-browse-your-location-data
September 1, 2022, 5:23 AM
This article is part of EFF’s investigation of location data brokers and Fog Data Science. Be sure to check out our issue page on Location Data Brokers.
In Part 1 of our series on Fog Data Science, we saw how when you give some apps permission to view your location, it can end up being packaged and sold to numerous other companies. Fog Data Science is one of those companies, and it has created a sleek search engine called Fog Reveal that allows cops to browse through that location data as if t...
--------------------
What is Fog Data Science? Why is the Surveillance Company so Dangerous?
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/06/what-fog-data-science-why-surveillance-company-so-dangerous
September 1, 2022, 5:22 AM
This article is part of EFF’s investigation of location data brokers and Fog Data Science. Be sure to check out our issue page on Location Data Brokers.
An EFF investigation of public records acquired from dozens of state and local law enforcement agencies has uncovered a widely-used mass surveillance technology. Americans are accustomed to hearing about how the National Security Agency (NSA), the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), and even the domestically-focused Federal Bureau of Investiga...
--------------------
Fog Data Science Puts our Fourth Amendment Rights up for Sale
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/08/fog-data-science-puts-our-fourth-amendment-rights-sale
September 1, 2022, 5:22 AM
This article is part of EFF’s investigation of location data brokers and Fog Data Science. Be sure to check out our issue page on Location Data Brokers.
The data broker selling people’s location data to any local, state, and federal agency willing to buy it is putting our Fourth Amendment rights at risk.
EFF recently published its investigation into Fog Data Science, which claims in marketing materials sent to law enforcement that it has billions of location data points taken from million...
--------------------
How Law Enforcement Around the Country Buys Cell Phone Location Data Wholesale
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/08/how-law-enforcement-around-country-buys-cell-phone-location-data-wholesale
September 1, 2022, 5:22 AM
This article is part of EFF’s investigation of location data brokers and Fog Data Science. Be sure to check out our issue page on Location Data Brokers.
In Chino, CA, police used Fog Data Science’s geolocation service to do massive sweeps revealing who was near minor theft and burglary scenes. In a rural Missouri murder investigation, Fog’s service was used to track a babysitter who was never a suspect. In Greensboro, NC, a crime analysis supervisor raised red flags about its constitution...
--------------------
Inside Fog Data Science, the Secretive Company Selling Mass Surveillance to Local Police
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/08/inside-fog-data-science-secretive-company-selling-mass-surveillance-local-police
September 1, 2022, 5:21 AM
This article is part of EFF’s investigation of location data brokers and Fog Data Science. Be sure to check out our issue page on Location Data Brokers.
A data broker has been selling raw location data about individual people to federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies, EFF has learned. This personal data isn’t gathered from cell phone towers or tech giants like Google — it’s obtained by the broker via thousands of different apps on Android and iOS app stores as part of the la...
--------------------
The SECURE Notarization Act Will Create a Race to the Bottom for Privacy
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/08/secure-notarization-act-will-create-race-bottom-privacy
August 31, 2022, 10:05 PM
Earlier this week, EFF, the Center for Democracy and Technology, and Demand Progress sent a letter to the Senate expressing our concerns about H.R. 3962, The Securing and Enabling Commerce Using Remote and Electronic Notarization Act of 2021 or SECURE Notarization Act. This bill would require states to recognize remote online notarizations that meet a weak minimum federal standard—regardless of whether those notarizations meet potentially stronger pre-existing state standards. This bill fails...
--------------------
EFF Calls for Limiting Mandatory Cooperation, Safeguarding Human Rights in International Cybercrime Investigations as Talks Resume for Proposed UN Cybercrime Treaty
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/08/eff-calls-limiting-mandatory-cooperation-safeguarding-human-rights-international
August 30, 2022, 4:52 PM
In a new round of talks this week to formulate a UN Cybercrime Treaty, EFF is calling for strictly limiting the scope of the convention’s international cooperation provisions and safeguards to ensure that states respect human rights when responding to legal assistance requests.EFF is among a group of digital and human rights organizations participating in the UN-convened talks, which started in February. A third round of discussions that began yesterday in New York focuses on the scope of the ...
--------------------
Over-the-Horizon Drones Line Up But Privacy Is Not In Sight
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/08/over-horizon-drones-lineup-privacy-not-sight
August 29, 2022, 4:02 PM
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) will soon rule on Beyond Visual Line of Sight (BVLOS) drones, which are capable of flying while its operator (pilot) is far away. While these types of drones might offer benefits to society—think of deliveries, infrastructure inspection, and precision agriculture—they also pose serious threats to our privacy. The FAA and the BVLOS industry need to meaningfully address the privacy issues that these types of operations pose to people. Do we want a futu...
--------------------
TechCrunch Launches Lookup Tool to Help Android Users Know if Their Device Was Compromised by a Family of Stalkerware Apps https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/08/techcrunch-launches-lookup-tool-help-android-users-know-if-their-device-was
August 26, 2022, 9:28 PM
The scourge of stalkerware—malicious apps used by perpetrators of domestic violence to secretly spy on their victims—is not going unchallenged or unaddressed.
Antivirus makers are increasingly adding stalkerware to the list of apps their products detect on devices; victim support groups help people figure out whether their devices are infected and how to remove the apps; app stores are banning the software and pulling any advertising for it, and law enforcement is investigating and arresting...
Trans Youths Need Data Sanctuary
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/08/trans-youths-need-data-sanctuary
August 26, 2022, 7:38 PM

Click here to read the complete article