Subject: EFF - Deeplinks
From: rslight rss feeds
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Followup: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 01:20 UTC
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 01:20:37 +0000
From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
View all headers
EFF’s “Cover Your Tracks” Will Detect Your Use of iOS 16’s Lockdown Mode
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/09/effs-cover-your-tracks-will-detect-your-use-ios-16s-lockdown-mode
September 12, 2022, 5:57 PM
Apple’s new iOS 16 offers a powerful tool for its most vulnerable users. Lockdown Mode reduces the avenues attackers have to hack into users’ phones by disabling certain often-exploited features. While providing a solid defense against intrusion, it is also trivial to detect that this new feature is enabled on a device. Our web fingerprinting tool Cover Your Tracks has incorporated detection of Lockdown Mode and alerts the user that we’ve determined they have this mode enabled.
Over the l...
--------------------
U.S. Federal Employees Can Take A Stand for Digital Freedoms
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/09/us-federal-employees-can-take-stand-digital-freedoms
September 9, 2022, 3:29 PM
It’s that time of the year again when the weather starts to cool down and the leaves start to turn all different shades and colors. More importantly, it is also time for U.S. federal employees to pledge their support for digital freedoms through the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC)!
The pledge period for the CFC is underway and EFF needs your help. Last year, U.S. federal employees raised over $34,000 for EFF through the CFC, helping us fight for free expression, privacy, and innovation on the ...
--------------------
EFF to California Governor: Protect Abortion Data Privacy
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/09/eff-california-governor-protect-abortion-data-privacy
September 8, 2022, 11:28 PM
In the wake of the Supreme Court’s Dobbs decision, anti-choice sheriffs and bounty hunters will try to investigate and punish abortion seekers based on their internet browsing, private messaging, and phone app location data. Legislators must act now to protect this personal data. Reproductive justice requires data privacy.
That’s why EFF urges California Governor Gavin Newsom to sign A.B. 1242, authored by Assemblymember Rebecca Bauer-Kahan. This bill would protect the data privacy of people...
--------------------
VICTORY: Slack Offers Retention Settings to Free Workspaces
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/09/victory-slack-offers-retention-settings-free-workspaces
September 7, 2022, 9:26 PM
In a victory for users, Slack has fixed its long-standing retention problems for free workspaces. Instead of holding onto your messages on its servers for as long as your workspace exists, Slack is now giving free workspace admins the option to automatically delete all messages older than 90 days. This basic ability to decide which information Slack should keep and which information it should delete should be available to all users, and we applaud Slack for making this change.
The new retention ...
--------------------
FTC Sues Location Data Broker
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/09/ftc-sues-location-data-broker
September 7, 2022, 9:22 PM
Phone app location data brokers are a growing menace to our privacy and safety. All you did was click a box while downloading an app. Now the app tracks your every move and sends it to a broker, which then sells your location data to the highest bidder.
So three cheers for the Federal Trade Commission for seeking to end this harmful marketplace! The FTC recently sued Kochava, a location data broker, alleging the company violated a federal ban on unfair business practices. The FTC’s complaint a...
--------------------
EFF to Ninth Circuit: Social Media Content Moderation is Not "State Action"
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/09/eff-ninth-circuit-social-media-content-moderation-not-state-action
September 7, 2022, 8:30 PM
Former EFF intern Shashank Sirivolu contributed to this blog post.
Social media users who have sued companies for deleting, demonetizing, and otherwise moderating their content have tried several arguments that this violates their constitutional rights. Courts have consistently ruled against them because social media platforms themselves have the First Amendment right to moderate content. The government and the courts cannot tell them what speech they must remove or, on the flip side, what ...
--------------------
Arizona Law Tramples People’s Constitutional Right to Record Police
https://www.eff.org/press/releases/arizona-law-tramples-peoples-constitutional-right-record-police
September 6, 2022, 3:54 PM
EFF, two Arizona chapters of the National Lawyers Guild, Poder in Action, and Mass Liberation AZ filed a brief in federal court opposing the government&#039;s attempt to thwart police accountability.SAN FRANCISCO–A new Arizona law that bans people from recording videos within eight feet of police violates the constitutional rights of legal observers, grassroots activists, and other Arizonans, says a brief filed Friday in federal court by the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), two Arizona ch...
--------------------
Honoring Peter Eckersley, Who Made the Internet a Safer Place for Everyone
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/09/honoring-peter-eckersley-who-made-internet-safer-place-everyone
September 5, 2022, 7:45 PM
With deep sadness, EFF mourns the loss of our friend, the technologist, activist, and cybersecurity expert Peter Eckersley. Peter worked at EFF for a dozen years and was EFF’s Chief Computer Scientist for many of those. Peter was a tremendous force in making the internet a safer place. He was recently diagnosed with colon cancer and passed away suddenly on Friday.
The impact of Peter’s work on encrypting the web cannot be overstated. The fact that transport layer encryption on the web is s...
--------------------
Hollywood’s Insistence on New Draconian Copyright Rules Is Not About Protecting Artists
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/09/hollywoods-insistence-new-draconian-copyright-rules-not-about-protecting-artists
September 1, 2022, 7:28 PM
Stop us if you’ve heard these: piracy is driving artists out of business. The reason they are starving is because no one pays for things, just illegally downloads them. You wouldn’t steal a car. These arguments are old and being dragged back out to get support for rules that would strangle online expression. And they are, as ever, about Hollywood wanting to control creativity and not protecting artists.
When it comes to box office numbers, they’ve remained pretty consistent except when a g...
--------------------
How Ad Tech Became Cop Spy Tech
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/08/how-ad-tech-became-cop-spy-tech
September 1, 2022, 5:25 AM
This article is part of EFF’s investigation of location data brokers and Fog Data Science. Be sure to check out our issue page on Location Data Brokers.
If a company wants to advertise something to you on the internet, it first has to know who you are and what you like to buy. There are many different approaches to gathering this data, but all generally have one goal in common: they link you with the data generated by your devices.
If law enforcement wants to track you via data generated by yo...
--------------------
Fog Revealed: A Guided Tour of How Cops Can Browse Your Location Data
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/08/fog-revealed-guided-tour-how-cops-can-browse-your-location-data
September 1, 2022, 5:23 AM
This article is part of EFF’s investigation of location data brokers and Fog Data Science. Be sure to check out our issue page on Location Data Brokers.
In Part 1 of our series on Fog Data Science, we saw how when you give some apps permission to view your location, it can end up being packaged and sold to numerous other companies. Fog Data Science is one of those companies, and it has created a sleek search engine called Fog Reveal that allows cops to browse through that location data as if t...
What is Fog Data Science? Why is the Surveillance Company so Dangerous?
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/06/what-fog-data-science-why-surveillance-company-so-dangerous
September 1, 2022, 5:22 AM
This article is part of EFF’s investigation of location data brokers and Fog Data Science. Be sure to check out our issue page on Location Data Brokers.
An EFF investigation of public records acquired from dozens of state and local law enforcement agencies has uncovered a widely-used mass surveillance technology. Americans are accustomed to hearing about how the National Security Agency (NSA), the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), and even the domestically-focused Federal Bureau of Investiga...

Click here to read the complete article
1
rocksolid light 0.7.2
clearneti2ptor