From: J@M (D)
Subject: OmniMix 0.90 (31 Mar 2006)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 02:33:00 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: D - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 00:33 UTC

noticed this gem while searching archived a.p.a-s articles from 2006 . . .

> [...]
>your news client, so that it posts your news to 'localhost'
>(127.0.0.1) and the port specified within OmniMix (default 119).
>OmniMix isn't able to offer a list of the newsgroups available, so you
>have to set in your news client's posting preferences not to use only
>servers known to carry the group (e.g. in Fort� Agent 3 you find this
>option in the 'Properties for Folders').
>OmniMix adds a 'om' directory to the folder where Mixmaster resides.
>This is the place where the temporary files used for Mixmaster
>interaction are stored. OmniMix has to have read/write access to this
>directory!
>The client communication bases on a multithreading model, so there
>should be no harm in accessing OmniMix by several clients at the same
>time. But I didn't do any stress testing yet.
>Some important issues:
>- OmniMix requires good old Mixmaster 2.0 for DOS (developed with
>v2.0.4b46, to be found at
>http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mixmaster/mix204b46.zip), since
>this currently is the only version, which allows output of the
>encrypted message to a file. But on the other hand it doesn't accept
>command line arguments which sum up to more than 118 characters -
>including the address of the Mail2News gateway and the list of
>remailers to be used, which however would have to be of extreme length
>to reach the limit. In this case you find an according entry in the
>Log list (which as well as the other lists is limited to the 2000 most
>recent lines). Please notice, that with ancient Mixmaster 2.0 the
>single remailers have to be separated by spaces, not commas, and 'any'
>has to be represented by a '0' (number zero), not an asterisk.
>- IMPORTANT: For data exchange with Mixmaster the original message is
>stored to disk and may be recoverable with special tools! If future
>Mixmaster versions don't allow complete in-memory communication, a
>(nearly) secure erase function will have to be built into OmniMix. A
>better choice would be to set up an encrypted partition with a tool
>like TrueCrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org/).
>- OmniMix does not yet support any encryption of the client side
>communication, nor does it natively use Tor to deliver the resulting
>mail to an ISP.
>- The extension of NewsMix to OmniMix, meaning the additional
>implementation of mail support, happened just the other day. So there
>might still be some serious bugs (besides not delivering to Cc: and
>Bcc: addresses). Feel free to catch them. They are all yours. But in
>that case I would be pleased about your feedback.
>Copyright (c) 2006 Christian Danner <christian<at>danner-net<dot>de>.
>All rights reserved.
>OmniMix was developed using Borland Delphi and the Indy 10 components.
>The mentioned company, product, and service names may be trademarks or
>service marks of others.
>Christian Danner <christian<at>danner-net<dot>de>

OmniMix v2.6.8 (2022-12):
https://www.danner-net.de/om.htm
https://www.danner-net.de/om/History.txt
https://www.danner-net.de/omom/index.htm
https://www.danner-net.de/om/OmniMix_2.6.8_Uno_Setup.exe

Re: OmniMix 0.90 (31 Mar 2006)

<6d395364ec81418b87e95694348bce07@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=14296&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#14296

From: nobody@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Subject: Re: OmniMix 0.90 (31 Mar 2006)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 13:49:08 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 11:49 UTC

On Sat, 3 Jun 2023 02:33:00 +0200 (CEST), D <J@M> wrote:

>noticed this gem while searching archived a.p.a-s articles from 2006 . . .
>
>>From: Christian Danner <christian@danner-net.de>
>>Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
>>Subject: OmniMix - Mixmaster Gateway for Windows - Proof of Concept
>>Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 04:25:29 +0200

2006! An iconic thread, where I mostly remember the tenacious paths
discussion, already showing the author's commitment to the project. Back
then I couldn't have imagined such a progress over the years.

Is there any mbox archive of early apas postings, especially from the
nineties? I ony have a few articles from that time in my newsreader,
like that history-making Penet announcement

| From: pjs@reimari.uwasa.fi (Peik J Strömsholm)
| Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology,sfnet.keskustelu.laki,comp.org.eff.talk,alt.privacy.anon-server,misc.int-property,misc.legal.computing
| Subject: ANON.PENET.FI DECISION APPEALED
| Date: 25 Sep 1996 13:42:57 +0300

And a quarter of a century ago the questions were all the same ...

| Date: 2 Apr 1998 15:57:53 -0000
| From: Elisabeth van Aaring <Use-Author-Address-Header@[127.1]>
| Author-Address: Eva32 <AT> nym <DOT> alias <DOT> net
| Subject: Attachments and nyms
| Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server,de.comp.security
| Xcanpos: shelf.01/199804141801!0041430014
|
| Is a plain text attachment being encrypted on its way through the remailers to the nym-server before being delivered to the recipient? Or can every remailer "read" the attachment.
|
| Elisabeth

Re: OmniMix 0.90 (31 Mar 2006)

<1d2b44dca3e77c6ac17164e42bf67eee@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=14299&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#14299

From: J@M (D)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 16:16:20 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: D - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 14:16 UTC

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Johan+Julf+Helsingius
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_Helsingius
>Johan "Julf" Helsingius, born in 1961 in Helsinki, Finland, started and ran the
>Anon.penet.fi internet remailer.
>Background
>Anon.penet.fi was one of the most popular anonymous remailers, handling 10,000
>messages a day. The server was the first of its kind to use a password-protected
>PO box system for sending and receiving e-mails. In the 1980s, he was the system
>administrator for the central Finnish news node as well as a founding members of
>the Finnish UNIX User Group. In a 1994 interview with Wired, he said he created
>the service because "It's important to be able to express certain views without
>everyone knowing who you are."[1]
>
>In 1996, he announced his remailer would shut down due to legal pressure from the
>Church of Scientology.[2] Scientology officials, upset that some users of Helsingius'
>service were sending information about the church, obtained a court order to force
>him to reveal the identity of many of the site's users.[3][4] When announcing the
>service's closure, he wrote, "I will close the remailer for the time being because
>the legal issues concerning the Internet in Finland are yet undefined."[5] The
>American Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), an Internet civil rights initiative,
>reported continuously on the incidents concerning anon.penet.fi and collected
>donations to cover legal costs should Helsingius be involved in a court case to
>settle whether Finnish law could force him to reveal the identity of anon.penet.fi
>users. The closing down of anon.penet.fi led to an outbreak of outrage and
>solidarity with Helsingius throughout the Internet in order to protect freedom on
>the Internet.[6]
>
>Helsingius went on to help found EUnet in Finland and was part of the team of people
>that established the first Internet link to USSR. Later, when EUnet was acquired by
>Qwest Communications and soon after moved into KPNQwest, Qwest's joint venture with
>KPN International, Julf became Chief Technology Officer (CTO) for KPNQwest. He is
>now an Internet entrepreneur and is serving on the board of various companies (e.g.
>BaseN, which is based in Finland). Helsingius lives in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
>
>Helsingius has studied music and traveled widely. His interests include active
>sports, like mountain climbing, and aviation.
[end quote]

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / OmniMix 0.90 (31 Mar 2006)