grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines.

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,Nomen Nescio
+* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,Anonymous
|+* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,D
||+- Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,Linux Guy
||`- Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,Nomen Nescio
|+* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,Anonymous
||`* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,Nomen Nescio
|| `- Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,Anonymous
|+- Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,Yamn Remailer
|`- Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,D
`* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,David Lesher
 `* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,William Unruh
  +* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,D
  |`* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,William Unruh
  | +* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,Stefan Claas
  | |`* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,D
  | | `* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,Stefan Claas
  | |  `* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,D
  | |   +- Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,Stefan Claas
  | |   `* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,William Unruh
  | |    `* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,D
  | |     `* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,William Unruh
  | |      `- Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,D
  | `- Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,D
  `* Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,Nomen Nescio
   `- Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,Nomen Nescio

Pages:12
Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,

<b34b584b-04a6-859b-3f83-b3d745217308@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17749&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17749

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
Subject: Re: Signal Threatens to Leave UK Over New Law,
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 11:33:52 +0100
 by: D - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 10:33 UTC

On Sun, 24 Mar 2024, William Unruh wrote:

> On 2024-03-23, D <nospam@example.net> wrote:

>>> It is opensource, which is a plus. It is javascript, which I suspect is
>>> a minus (I am not at all sure how safe Javascript is). It is a plugin
>>> into browsers (chrome or firefox), which again is a minus (how much does
>>> it depend on the the security of the whole browser?)
>>>
>>> mailvelope runs on your own machine and encrypts (using a javascript
>>> version of OpenPGP) on you own machine. So the breaking would have to
>>> occur on your own machine. Not sure what you mean by "malicious
>>> updates". Updates of what? mailvelope? I think you would have to
>>> initiate the download and the installation. I presume it does not
>>> initiate and install its own updates.
>>>

>> Ahh... thank you that sheds more light on it, and yes, that's what I had
>> in mind, if mailvelop "pesters" people to upgrade, or even worse,
>> automatically upgrade. That would be an enormous risk in case they are
>> broken into.
>
> Well, if they find a security bug, pestering them to upgrade is what
> they should do. One would hope that if they were broken into, and a
> security flaw introduced and then the cracker sent out requests to
> upgrade, that they would quickly notice and take down the bad version.
> The same is true of the kernel, which would be evenmore of a security
> threat.

Then there's not much of a difference. I would think that the kernel
project has more eyes on it than mailvelop. It could also be the
government who probably could throw the entire mailvelop team into prison.