From: Anonymous@rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Subject: Zero Defects
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 17:29:24 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 30 May 2022 17:29 UTC

Zero Defects is a quality standard. About 30 years ago one of my best friends "A" was a Zero Defects person. His designs were original and used by starving musicians who rarely paid what they agreed too. I on the other hand was besieged by the paranoid... we are talking straight-jacket-ready that were always paying their bills.

It was around Mission Impossible (Prague action) when everybody was paranoid about the beacon-back-door feature. We are talking basements were converted into Faraday Cages, UPS that masked electrical signatures or computer use were installed etc...

If you are wandering what the crap I'm blabing about: The last public acknoledgement of the beacon use, was when the Negro Emperor ordered the assasination of a Muslin Preacher in Yemen and a Dutch mole activated the beacon. This story is not about religious crap! I stoped caring after the assasination of the Rasta King in Africa... and that was ages ago.

The plan was to go OEM with Secure Computers to feed the need. 50-50 share. I did the hardware design and software. Fuck, I was already doing it on individual bases and very little original thought was involved. "A" did the parts qualifying and we are talking 70 motherboards were tested and modified to find the right supplier. Hell work!

You probably guessed that I did not have any problem with my share of the initial investment but "A" was waiting on an efficiency gig with THE UNDISPUTED LEADER Co. The founder and CEO was a megalomaniac that believed that the Tech-God shited him on the Planet to be kind with the rest of the idiots that inhabited Earth.

The efficiency gigs worked like this: you get a set-up period (3 month in this case) and a trial period (6 month in this case). You get 10% of the savings over regular operations. The CEO insisted that nobody gets fired or worked overtime.

The Undisputed Leader Co. had a 2% defect rate which at the time was outstanding. After 9 month a big meeting was called to ridicule "A" and afirm the Undisputed Inteligence of the CEO. When the number 0 as in Zero Defects came up and acording to the contract a 500k check was supposed to be handed over... the CEO stutter and wrote a 50K check and said "sue me I own the judges".

"A" was so depressed, moved away and we talked only 4 times since then. At the time I begged on my knees vowing to rob a bank for his share (it was possible!).

I always wonder if he made the right decision... such is life! "A" does not and is a brick in the wall with a standard pay in the top 20%. No, he did not do Zero Defects anymore because it is to disrupting to egos.

By the way, I used the prototype for 15 years and it never failed, just an awesome machine. I threw it away because a significant female was complaining that it did not match the shower courtin or similar crap. The last use was an i2p router...

--
Posted on RetroBBS