Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 18:36:07 +0000
Subject: BBC News
From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
 by: rslight rss feeds - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 18:36 UTC

Driver in school bus crash was 'loving husband and father'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-66970993?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 6:05 PM
Stephen Shrimpton and passenger Jessica Baker, 15, died when the coach overturned, police say.
--------------------
'Today is a victory': Tupac's sister hails murder charge
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66969851?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 11:17 AM
The rapper's sister welcomes news that a former gang leader has been charged with his murder.
--------------------
Nagorno-Karabakh: Armenia says 100,000 refugees flee region
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66969845?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 4:08 PM
Almost the entire ethnic Armenian population has fled the region since Azerbaijan seized it last week.
--------------------
Bradley Lowery: Sheffield Wednesday investigate fans' 'mockery'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-66972872?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 4:53 PM
The club say images were circulated online showing its supporters mocking Bradley, who died in 2017.
--------------------
Police hunt child rapist who poses 'high risk'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-66971328?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 4:31 PM
Stephen Pennington, 35, has links to Blackburn, Blackpool and Wigan, police say.
--------------------
Watch: US driver smashes through wall into police station
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66970292?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 11:15 AM
John Hargreaves has been charged following the incident in the US state of New Jersey.
--------------------
Vivienne Westwood's own wardrobe part of new runway collection in Paris
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-66972861?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 5:54 PM
Clothes Vivienne Westwood wore and made over 30 years feature on her widower's catwalk in Paris.
--------------------
Kuenssberg: Sunak needs superpowers to make rebrand work
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66970426?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 12:05 PM
Whether it's shifting green targets or a HS2 wobble, there is political cost to PM's changes, writes Laura Kuenssberg.
--------------------
Billy Connolly had 'serious falls' after balance issues, says wife
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66972029?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 6:27 PM
The comedian's wife says the issues are the "most significant" symptom of his Parkinson's disease.
--------------------
Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York, 'shocked' by killing of ex-assistant
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66970413?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 10:29 AM
Sarah Ferguson pays tribute to Jenean Chapman, 46, who was found dead in a Dallas apartment on Monday.
--------------------
US House of Representatives considers bill to avoid government shutdown
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66965214?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 6:18 PM
Congress needs to reach agreement on funding federal agencies before a Saturday midnight deadline.
--------------------
Glastonbury Festival 2024 tickets rise to £360
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-66971101?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 2:53 PM
The South West event is considerably more expensive than other festivals that have released prices.
--------------------
Crews tackle severe 11th floor flat fire in Coventry
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-66972921?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 6:20 PM
People were led from the 16-storey block after 50 firefighters were sent in, the fire service says.
--------------------
Alien life in Universe: Scientists say finding it is 'only a matter of time'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66950930?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 29, 2023, 11:20 PM
Experts are optimistic of detecting life signs on a faraway world within our lifetimes - possibly in the next few years.
--------------------
Danny Robins: Paranormal activity can bring people comfort
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66427476?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 1:44 PM
The Uncanny presenter on how his trawl for ghost stories revealed positive tales among the terror.
--------------------
Tupac Shakur: What have the police got on Keffe D?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66967929?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 12:47 AM
The BBC's Regan Morris looks at what police have on Keffe D as he is charged with Tupac Shakur's murder.
--------------------
David Olusoga: ‘The UK is less equal than when I was young’
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66923085?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 12:06 AM
Is sharing opportunities more equally across the four nations the key to securing the union's future?
--------------------
Mae Muller: Eurovision broke my heart but album kept me going
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-66946378?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 12:08 AM
As the singer releases her debut studio album she reflects on using humour to reset the narrative.
--------------------
Luton Town: Did a football club's success help reduce crime?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-66727829?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 12:09 AM
Why did crime across Luton go down as its football club went up to the Premier League?
--------------------
Sudan conflict: Living in Cairo, longing for Omdurman
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66942430?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 29, 2023, 11:34 PM
The BBC's Mohamed Osman writes about his emotional return after war forced him to flee.
--------------------
Racism: Mental health impact of profiling and trolls
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66925686?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 6:04 AM
Susan Cousins experiences racist trolls and racial profiling while going about her daily life.
--------------------
Enfield: First baby beaver born in London in 400 years
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66950410?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 6:32 AM
Enfield council launched reintroduction programme in 2022 to bring beavers back to the capital.
--------------------
Jody Cundy: Learning Strictly Come Dancing routines is taxing
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-66960368?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 8:51 AM
Jody Cundy says the "mental part" of dancing was "getting me".
--------------------
'Outstanding' prostate cancer trial could change radiotherapy
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-66946336?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 29, 2023, 9:05 PM
Experts say the findings could lead to "enormous change" in the way the treatment is delivered.
--------------------
Motorist fined after dog seen behind wheel of car
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66969843?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 6:43 AM
Police in Slovakia have fined a man after a dog was pictured in the driving seat of his Skoda.
--------------------
Driver caught drinking mug of tea on motorway
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66966006?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 7:09 AM
A tea-drinking motorist is fined £100 after being caught on camera driving on the M6 in Cheshire last year.
--------------------
US urges Serbia to withdraw troops from Kosovo border as tensions rise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66968021?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 29, 2023, 10:40 PM
--------------------
Train strikes set to cause travel disruption
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66963202?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 8:49 AM
Aslef union members are walking out in a long-running dispute over pay and conditions.
--------------------
Week in pictures: 23-29 September 2023
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-66958940?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 29, 2023, 11:26 PM
A selection of striking images from around the world, taken over the past seven days.
--------------------
Evergrande: The rise and fall of the property giant's billionaire founder
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66540794?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 29, 2023, 10:01 PM
Hui Ka Yan, the founder of a crisis-hit Chinese property giant, is under police surveillance.
--------------------
British baked beans become reality after successful Lincolnshire harvest
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-66966056?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 29, 2023, 5:15 PM
Scientists have successfully adapted the haricot variety so it can be grown in British soil.
--------------------
Sycamore Gap: 'We are devastated - it's so sad to see the tree gone'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66967101?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 29, 2023, 8:29 PM
Members of the public have been sharing memories of the 300-year-old tree in Northumberland, after it was cut down this week.
--------------------
Ask, Don't Assume: Disability Rights UK deletes ‘misjudged’ post on ads
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/disability-66954782?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 29, 2023, 12:16 PM
Disability Rights UK deletes a post which accused the government of "murderous ableist policies".
--------------------
Hijabs allowed in athletes' village at Paris 2024 - IOC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/66958602?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 29, 2023, 1:12 PM
The IOC say hijabs will be allowed inside the athletes' village at next year's Olympics, despite hosts France banning their team members from wearing them.
--------------------
Aston Villa women to wear sweat-heavy shirts despite talks with manufacturer Castore
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66958595?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 29, 2023, 12:35 PM
Aston Villa boss says her players have concerns over the club's shirts but will have to wear them for their WSL opener against Manchester United on Sunday.
--------------------
Woman in £37,000 payout after boss dismissed menopause 'excuses'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-66962519?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 29, 2023, 3:20 PM
Karen Farquharson, 49, was told to "get on with it" after being off work ill due to her symptoms.
--------------------
Lizzo asks judge to dismiss dancers' harassment allegations
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66958353?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 29, 2023, 11:04 AM
The US singer has lodged her first legal response against harassment claims made by her ex-dancers.
--------------------
Nottingham University Hospitals Trust failed to send 400,000 letters
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-66950204?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 29, 2023, 3:12 PM
A former employee told the BBC there was a lack of responsibility over a new computer system.
--------------------
Ryder Cup: Europe edge closer to win over US in Rome
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/66972253?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 6:08 PM
Europe need four points from Sunday's 12 singles matches against the United States to regain the Ryder Cup after a scintillating Saturday in Rome.
--------------------
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-1 Manchester City: City suffer first league defeat of season
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66899194?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 4:16 PM
Manchester City suffer their first Premier League defeat of the season as Wolves get a shock win at Molineux.
--------------------
England 29-12 Canada: Red Roses seal series with win over 14-player Canada
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/66972155?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 4:50 PM
England complete their preparations for the inaugural WXV tournament with a 29-12 victory over a Canada side reduced to 14 in the first half.
--------------------
Motherwell 1-2 Celtic: Matt O'Riley's winner moves Scottish Premiership leaders further clear
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66899128?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 1:38 PM
Matt O'Riley scores a 97th-minute winner in the most dramatic of Scottish Premiership finales to give Celtic victory over Motherwell.
--------------------
Wales 38-18 USA: Hosts warm up for WXV with comfortable win
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/66972506?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2023, 3:40 PM
Wales warm up for the inaugural WXV tournament with a dominant six-tries-to-three victory against USA in Colwyn Bay.
--------------------
Energy price cap: What is it and will bills continue to go down?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58090533?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 29, 2023, 11:21 AM
The price cap which sets typical annual household energy bills is falling slightly from October.
--------------------
Five ways to save money on your packed lunch
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65312394?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 4:36 PM
Grabbing food on the go can be expensive so here are some top tips on making savings at lunchtime.
--------------------
Food prices: How can I save money on my grocery shop?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61798003?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 31, 2023, 10:57 AM
The cost-of-living crisis continues to bite. Here are some things that can reduce the impact.
--------------------
How to get a job: Six expert tips for finding work
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64939070?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 14, 2023, 4:03 PM
There are 10m people out of work in the UK, so if you're searching for a job you're not alone. Here are some tips on how to get started.
--------------------
Energy saving tips: Five ways to cut costs this winter
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62738249?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 12:06 PM
Energy prices will be lower this coming winter - but you may be able to save even more on your bill.
--------------------
Energy bills: What can I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62435432?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 27, 2023, 1:22 PM
If you're struggling to afford your gas and electricity bills, what options are available?
--------------------
What is GDP and how is it measured?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13200758?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 8:54 AM
A basic guide to how the economy is measured and why that calculation matters.
--------------------
What is the UK inflation rate and why is it so high?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 21, 2023, 11:59 AM
The rate at which prices are rising has fallen but remains well above the 2% inflation target.
--------------------
Debt: What should I pay first and what can I do?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64291327?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 25, 2023, 11:59 AM
What help and options are available to people struggling with debt repayments?
--------------------
How to save money even when the budget is tight
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66855566?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 23, 2023, 11:19 PM
The interest paid on savings is better than anything seen for years, so how can you save when bills are rising?
--------------------
Rent prices: How much have they gone up in your area?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65103937?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 28, 2023, 11:30 PM
Use our interactive tool to find out what the average rent is in your area.
--------------------
Interest rates: How the Bank of England's decision affects you and your money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57764601?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 22, 2023, 8:49 AM
The Bank of England has held interest rates at 5.25%, bringing a run of 14 consecutive rises to an end.
--------------------
Cost-of-living payments: Who is getting them and when?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61592496?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 19, 2023, 11:08 PM
Low-income households, pensioners and some disabled people will get extra help with energy bills.
--------------------
Cost of living: Five tips when asking for a pay rise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64288791?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 15, 2023, 10:33 AM
Recruiters, a manager and a workplace psychologist give their advice on how to negotiate for more money.
--------------------
Renting: What are your rights as a tenant?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65038459?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 21, 2023, 9:03 AM
With one in five people now renting in the UK, it's important to understand your rights as a tenant.
First time home buyers: How much can I borrow?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/65544554?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 12, 2023, 9:47 AM
With rents rising, more people are crunching the numbers to see if they can afford to buy.

Click here to read the complete article