From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: [rslight] Where is the setting for the history range for pulling
messages?
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 21:42:33 -0500
logging-data="20836"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Syber Shock - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 02:42 UTC

I configured some Usenet test groups to watch the synchronization. It
seems that rslight pulls only 1000 messages from a group with 10K+
messages and does not pull any further back in the history. It
continues to update newer messages that come into the groups but does
not finish synchronizing the entire history.

Example here:
https://sybershock.com/forum/random/thread.php?group=alt.anonymous.messages&first=1201&last=1400

Is there a configuration option to change this and make rslight pull
older messages from a peer? I want it to update the past three years of
messages then ignore older ones. I can't find anything relevant in the
config so some help would be appreciated.

--

SugarBug | https://sybershock.com

Re: [rslight] Where is the setting for the history range for pulling messages?

<c0fc09d962f35d40e1740a55742770bf@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=312&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#312

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
messages?
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 03:03:58 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 03:03 UTC

Syber Shock wrote:

> I configured some Usenet test groups to watch the synchronization. It
> seems that rslight pulls only 1000 messages from a group with 10K+
> messages and does not pull any further back in the history. It
> continues to update newer messages that come into the groups but does
> not finish synchronizing the entire history.

> Example here:
> https://sybershock.com/forum/random/thread.php?group=alt.anonymous.messages&first=1201&last=1400

> Is there a configuration option to change this and make rslight pull
> older messages from a peer? I want it to update the past three years of
> messages then ignore older ones. I can't find anything relevant in the
> config so some help would be appreciated.

This is set in $maxfirstrequest rslight/scripts/spoolnews.php:

if(!isset($maxarticles_per_run)) {
$maxarticles_per_run = 100;
} if(!isset($maxfirstrequest)) {
$maxfirstrequest = 1000;
}

if(!isset($CONFIG['enable_nntp']) || $CONFIG['enable_nntp'] != true) {
$maxfirstrequest = $maxarticles;
$maxarticles_per_run = $maxfetch;
}

There is currently no configure option to change it, it's hard coded, but you can change
it in the file around line 38:

if(!isset($maxarticles_per_run)) {
$maxarticles_per_run = 100;
} if(!isset($maxfirstrequest)) {
$maxfirstrequest = 10000;
}

if(!isset($CONFIG['enable_nntp']) || $CONFIG['enable_nntp'] != true) {
$maxfirstrequest = $maxarticles;
$maxarticles_per_run = $maxfetch;
}

--
Retro Guy

Re: [rslight] Where is the setting for the history range for pulling

<3434cd8f829c07d6cbbf54c0caefcf49$1@sybershock.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=313&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#313

From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: [rslight] Where is the setting for the history range for
pulling
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 22:14:12 -0500
logging-data="26146"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Syber Shock - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 03:14 UTC

<snip>

I did find this:

scripts/spoolnews.php: $maxfirstrequest = 1000;

If I increase this number does that pull further back in history?

And is there a date setting rather than a number? I'd prefer to set it
for 3 years back from whatever the current day is. This way when I add
a new group it will just start syncing 3 years of history.

--

SugarBug | https://sybershock.com

Re: [rslight] Where is the setting for the history range for pulling

<0d3a689a250f1b8b2f58f2e0b65a9bf0@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=314&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#314

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 04:14:58 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 04:14 UTC

Syber Shock wrote:

> <snip>

> I did find this:

> scripts/spoolnews.php: $maxfirstrequest = 1000;

That should work.

> If I increase this number does that pull further back in history?

Yes, it just takes the highest number from the server and subtracts
$maxfirstrequest and starts requesting from that number.

> And is there a date setting rather than a number? I'd prefer to set it
> for 3 years back from whatever the current day is. This way when I add
> a new group it will just start syncing 3 years of history.

There is currently no setting to pull by date.

--
Retro Guy