From: vga@vga256.com (vga256)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: How do local groups work?
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 00:22:32 +0000
 by: vga256 - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 00:22 UTC

I'm adding a create_groups() interface, and I noticed that $config_path/menu.conf shows:
# First = section name
# Second = display link in header?
# Third = enable local spool for this section?
rocksolid:1:1

for this example entry, does this mean the group is local-only, and won't propagate to remote peers?

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: How do local groups work?

<7d2924778905fa1a0a2f70b610a8e476$1@sybershock.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=375&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#375

From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: How do local groups work?
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 22:59:57 -0500
logging-data="782171"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org";
posting-account="TzG3Hl99Aa0Fgb506WreKRgRTO2mG9+aGjVDifyfNqo";
 by: Syber Shock - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 03:59 UTC

On Tue, 4 Jul 2023 00:22:32 +0000
vga@vga256.com (vga256) wrote:

> I'm adding a create_groups() interface, and I noticed that
> $config_path/menu.conf shows: # First = section name
> # Second = display link in header?
> # Third = enable local spool for this section?
> rocksolid:1:1
>
> for this example entry, does this mean the group is local-only, and
> won't propagate to remote peers?

In this example any remote peer that authenticates can push and pull
messages for the section and whichever group names you've set in it. I
think that technically there are no 'local only' groups unless you set
them read only and don't have a peer set in your own config.

Since Rocksolid Light uses the client model for synchronizing,
any peer that can authenticate can push and pull the messages and
synchronize. Peers access your server like a reader rather than like
a INN feed.

If you disable the local spool (0) then the local NNTP server should
stop serving groups for that section. Neither readers nor peers should
have any NNTP access to that section and its child newsgroups. That
section's messages page in the web forum will also not access the spool
to serve messages. I don't know what else it might do when disabling one
that has already been active. I leave that question for Retro Guy.

--

SugarBug | https://sybershock.com

Re: How do local groups work?

<258f75c7831c2972fd16e1688adc76cf@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=377&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#377

From: vga@vga256.com (vga256)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 17:19:02 +0000
 by: vga256 - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 17:19 UTC

Syber Shock wrote:

>> I'm adding a create_groups() interface, and I noticed that
>> $config_path/menu.conf shows: # First = section name
>> # Second = display link in header?
>> # Third = enable local spool for this section?
>> rocksolid:1:1
>>

> In this example any remote peer that authenticates can push and pull
> messages for the section and whichever group names you've set in it. I
> think that technically there are no 'local only' groups unless you set
> them read only and don't have a peer set in your own config.

Thanks - that helps. The thing is, retro guy recently mentioned he began implementing local_groups.txt, which would imply that functionality is there. Maybe local_groups.txt is managed elsewhere, and I just haven't found the place yet.

> Since Rocksolid Light uses the client model for synchronizing,
> any peer that can authenticate can push and pull the messages and
> synchronize. Peers access your server like a reader rather than like
> a INN feed.

> If you disable the local spool (0) then the local NNTP server should
> stop serving groups for that section. Neither readers nor peers should
> have any NNTP access to that section and its child newsgroups. That
> section's messages page in the web forum will also not access the spool
> to serve messages. I don't know what else it might do when disabling one
> that has already been active. I leave that question for Retro Guy.

Okay, that's fascinating and clears up a lot. So basically, setting a zero for the third parameter takes an entire section/top-level group offline to clients/peers.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light