From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: RSLight moving to GitLab
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 13:22:50 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 13:22 UTC

I will be moving rslight from Github to Gitlab. As of now it is on both sites.

I'm hoping Gitlab does not make the same decision as Github to force 2fa, which is the reason I'm leaving Github.

Before Oct 6, when 2fa is required, I'll be done at Github.

I hate 2fa.

--
Retro Guy

Re: RSLight moving to GitLab

<36f6ad295849de10ff65771c373a5a04$1@sybershock.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=377&group=rocksolid.programming#377

From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: RSLight moving to GitLab
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 12:41:46 -0500
logging-data="2609132"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org";
posting-account="TzG3Hl99Aa0Fgb506WreKRgRTO2mG9+aGjVDifyfNqo";
 by: Syber Shock - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 17:41 UTC

On Sat, 26 Aug 2023 13:22:50 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> I will be moving rslight from Github to Gitlab. As of now it is on
> both sites.
>
> I'm hoping Gitlab does not make the same decision as Github to force
> 2fa, which is the reason I'm leaving Github.
>
> Before Oct 6, when 2fa is required, I'll be done at Github.
>
> I hate 2fa.

The tech mafia wants to lock down the Internet and speech. Two-factor
authentication in many contexts actually increases attack surface and
forces the user to expose personal device data to exfiltration by bad
actors.

Most places 2fa is at best an annoyance. What is Github's
motive? They claim it is to 'secure the software supply chain.' It
worked all these years without 2fa, so why now? Now Github basically
requires your phone number like Google. Or you will have to buy a
Yubikey or third party authenticator app which is ridiculous. And how
long before Yubikeys require identification to purchase and
authenticator apps require identity verification?

Github claims this requirement is for 'security'. That is a patent lie.
Security is achieved by a strong passphrase and a secure server
configuration that doesn't leak passwords.

This is an attempt to streamline automated geofencing and
shadowbanning. Once your phone number is in their system of
dissidents, you can be fenced off across all public services with a
single data entry into a blacklist.

The 2fa is for identification and prevention of anonymity. With the
planned passkey nonsense, the clear intent is to eventually make it
impossible to have Internet access without a passkey and
identification. And whoever controls the issuance of passkeys can lock
you out of online service. This is the end goal of these deceitful tech
mobsters.

The tech mobsters want a system that allows them to control access to
the Internet services ecosystem. They don't give a rat's ass about your
security or 'securing the supply chain'. What they really want is to
'chain the supply'.

Sometimes big tech companies use 2fa as a pretext for forcing you to
hand over private identity information (as does Google, Facebook, and
Twitter requiring a phone number). For them it is a thinly veiled
attempt to link all your content to your real identity so that you can
be censored and then investigated by the thought police.

People ought to delete their github and leave behind a single
repository with a readme telling github to fly a kite and warning the
public about the 2fa endgame. The tech mobsters deserve to see a mass
exodus from their platform to teach them a lesson.

--
SugarBug | https://sybershock.com | NNTP | Usenet | Forum
Fediverse | https://syfershock.com/users/syfershock

Re: RSLight moving to GitLab

<87ceed9481923f3931fec44fb383dee4@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=378&group=rocksolid.programming#378

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 21:54:36 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 21:54 UTC

Syber Shock wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2023 13:22:50 +0000
> retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

>> I will be moving rslight from Github to Gitlab. As of now it is on
>> both sites.
>>
>> I'm hoping Gitlab does not make the same decision as Github to force
>> 2fa, which is the reason I'm leaving Github.
>>
>> Before Oct 6, when 2fa is required, I'll be done at Github.
>>
>> I hate 2fa.

> The tech mafia wants to lock down the Internet and speech. Two-factor
> authentication in many contexts actually increases attack surface and
> forces the user to expose personal device data to exfiltration by bad
> actors.

I agree.

> Most places 2fa is at best an annoyance. What is Github's
> motive? They claim it is to 'secure the software supply chain.' It
> worked all these years without 2fa, so why now? Now Github basically
> requires your phone number like Google. Or you will have to buy a
> Github claims this requirement is for 'security'. That is a patent lie.
> Security is achieved by a strong passphrase and a secure server
> configuration that doesn't leak passwords.

That's exactly what they claim. It's for your security. Claim that all you
want, but it doesn't make it true.

> This is an attempt to streamline automated geofencing and
> shadowbanning. Once your phone number is in their system of
> dissidents, you can be fenced off across all public services with a
> single data entry into a blacklist.

> The 2fa is for identification and prevention of anonymity. With the
> planned passkey nonsense, the clear intent is to eventually make it
> impossible to have Internet access without a passkey and
> identification. And whoever controls the issuance of passkeys can lock
> you out of online service. This is the end goal of these deceitful tech
> mobsters.

My thoughts exactly!

--
Retro Guy

Re: RSLight moving to GitLab

<53e53a717ed9ef446ba28fa074091c87@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=379&group=rocksolid.programming#379

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 18:25:04 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 18:25 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> I will be moving rslight from Github to Gitlab. As of now it is on both sites.

> I'm hoping Gitlab does not make the same decision as Github to force 2fa, which is the reason I'm leaving Github.

> Before Oct 6, when 2fa is required, I'll be done at Github.

> I hate 2fa.

It's done, and removed from github.

--
Retro Guy

Re: RSLight moving to GitLab

<ff0b5791e2dc692c049e33c7f99f191e$1@sybershock.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=380&group=rocksolid.programming#380

From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 12:43:18 -0500
logging-data="3626518"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org";
posting-account="TzG3Hl99Aa0Fgb506WreKRgRTO2mG9+aGjVDifyfNqo";
 by: Syber Shock - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 17:43 UTC

On Sat, 26 Aug 2023 13:22:50 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> I will be moving rslight from Github to Gitlab. As of now it is on
> both sites.

<snip>

I got this link: https://gitlab.com/rslight-public/rocksolid-light for
the new repo. Is this the correct repo?

--
SugarBug | https://sybershock.com | NNTP | Usenet | Forum
Fediverse | https://syfershock.com/users/syfershock
NightBulb | https://nightbulb.net | Flip the night switch.

Re: RSLight moving to GitLab

<c6670cb1271e646e7281306d23762a87@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=381&group=rocksolid.programming#381

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 12:28:37 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 12:28 UTC

Syber Shock wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2023 13:22:50 +0000
> retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

>> I will be moving rslight from Github to Gitlab. As of now it is on
>> both sites.

> <snip>

> I got this link: https://gitlab.com/rslight-public/rocksolid-light for
> the new repo. Is this the correct repo?

That is the correct link.

The first link I posted was private, as I did not understand how to properly set up a publicly visible repo on Gitlab at the time.

I think I worked it out :)

--
Retro Guy