From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: 4-29-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - AUGUST 3, 1957
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 13:45:55 +0000
 by: Bruce - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 13:45 UTC

AUGUST 3, 1957

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1957/CB-1957-08-03.pdf

The Cash Box Disk of the Week

PAT BOONE (Dot 15602)

“THERE’S A GOLD MINE IN THE SKY” (2:15) [Bourne ASCAP—Kenny, Kenny]
“REMEMBER YOU’RE MINE” (2:14) [Lowe-Tray ASCAP—Mann, Lowe]

Pat Boone’s development as one of the entertainment field’s most sought after personalities
has been truly phenomenal. And the next decade should find the artist’s stock soaring to even
greater heights. In the wax field, he continues to turn out disk after disk, all of which sell by the
carload. As a follow-up to his current gold-disker “Love Letters In The Sand”, Pat offers two more
wonderful sides that can’t miss. “There’s A Gold Mine In The Sky” is another great oldie brought up
to date by Pat’s smooth, rhythmic vocalizing. This side also was penned by Charles & Nick Kenny,
authors of “Love Letters”. Equally exciting is “Remember You’re Mine”, a mellow reading of an out-
standing new love song with a great summer lyric. Two clean-cut renditions of top drawer material.
Take your pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQcx0VUeEY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRyLY7g9BOk

BROOK BENTON (Vik 0285)

“COME ON, BE NICE” (2:26) [Eden BMI—Otis, Benton]
A smooth shuffling rock and roller is excitingly styled by the rich voice of Brook Benton.
Lad has a strong tune to work with and comes up with a commercial rendition. Could
make some noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouiZpTWJlEQ

“I WANNA DO EVERYTHING FOR YOU” [Raleigh BMI—Otis, Benton]
The tempo is upped on this half for the performer’s rockin’ reading of another teenage
item with a powerful dance beat. Benton has a sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeTGPqyxp2A

(Sounds like "Don't Be Cruel" part 2)

JANIS MARTIN (RCA Victor 6983)

“LOVE AND KISSES” (1:59) [Trinity BMI — Moore, Davie, Grean]
Rockabilly songstress Martin could make impressive pop news with this entry, a snappy ditty with cute
lyric appeal. The thrush makes the most of this bright affair in her handclapping approach. Keep tabs
on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMHbrN4Yjjs

“I’LL NEVER BE FREE” (2:01) [Laurel ASCAP — Benjamin, Weiss]
A hard beat has been added to this oldie convincingly wrapped up by the artist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twbto-bdsVc

THE CASH BOX SLEEPER OF THE WEEK

TONY WILLIAMS (Mercury 71158)

“WHEN YOU RETURN” (2:40) [A.M.C. ASCAP—Ram]
“LET’S START ALL OVER AGAIN” (2:35) [Sophisticate BMI—Johnson]

Mercury Records displays the tremendous versatility of the very successful Platters by featuring Tony Williams, the group’s lead voice, in his first solo effort. Working against a lush string accompaniment, the gifted vocalist hands in striking performances of two outstanding ballad items tailor-made for today’s market. “When You Return” is a dramatic ballad with potent love lyrics set to the favorite melody of “Danny Boy”. Powerful job, especially when Tony hits the high notes in his clear, emotional manner. “Let’s Start All Over Again” opens with a verse and leads into another beautiful romancer chanted from the heart. Williams, still very much a member of the platters, should do extremely well with this solo coupling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xYyR-hm2sU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J_9mhKchrM

JIMMY BOWEN (Roulette 4017)

“DON’T TELL ME YOUR TROUBLES” (2:23) [Kahl BMI—Jacobson, Roberts, Unger]
“EVER SINCE THAT NIGHT” (2:00) [Kahl BMI—Stallman, Shapiro]

Jimmy Bowen, who zoomed into the recording spotlight with his big waxing “I’m Stickin’ With You”,
and followed up with another chart item “Warm Up To Me Baby”, has a new side that should extend
his consecutive hit string to 3-in-a-row. The number is dubbed “Don’t Tell Me Your Troubles” and is
aimed directly at the teenage market. It’s a handclapping jumper with catchy vocal effort by the
songster. Right in line with the best selling rock-a-billy merchandise. Watch the lists for this one. Flip
“Ever Since That Night” is another rhythmic opus with a country flavoring. But it’s the upper side that’s
got the goods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRl_lbuADMc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZuKmt_L-zY

The Cash Box Award o’ the Week

CHUCK WILLIS (Atlantic 1148)

“THAT TRAIN HAS GONE” (2:50) [Rush BMI—Willis]
“LOVE ME CHERRY” (2:18) [Rush BMI—Willis]

Chuck Willis, one of the trade’s leading song writers and vocal talents, offers a twosome that will make
it difficult for the jockeys who have to decide which one to play. Both sides are powerful entries. “That
Train Has Gone” is a slow, rhythmic blues wailed to a fare-thee-well by Willis, who tells the story of the
abandoned lover. Moving wax that could be really high in the charts before it finishes its run. The coupling, “Love Me Cherry,” is a love chant very much in the same moody feeling as “Train.” It is a slow, drifty, melodic wax that Willis sings with great feeling. Either or both for the action.

LAVERN BAKER (Atlantic 1140)

“HUMPTY DUMPTY HEART” (2:33) [Progressive/Pinelawn BMI—Boye]
“LOVE ME RIGHT” (1:59) [Progressive /Brookville BMI—Kirshner, Darin] •

LaVern Baker, Little Miss Energy, dips into the folk for her current bouncer, “Humpty Dumpty
Heart,” and the result is a light hearted filter that is easy to re- member and carries all the
infectious qualities this lass can inject into a tune. A cutie that bears the marks of a winner.
The flip, “Love Me Right,” is a quick beat rhythm blues with the dynamic lass bouncing the
love lyrics in a zesty chant. A great stylist with an infectious piece of material. Two solid money
making decks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smuDjaOHp1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4zUrnlI-gg

JOHNNIE & JOE (J & S 1659)

“IT WAS THERE” (2:30) [Zell’s Music BMI—Z. Sanders]
‘THERE GOES MY HEART” (2:30) [Zell’s Music BMI—Harvin]

Those “Over the Mountain” kids, Johnnie & Joe, try for their third straight hit with a two sider that makes
the prospects good. “It Was There” is a slow paced lovely done to a turn by the engaging couple. It has
melody, story, and vocal teamwork of captivating titles.. “There Goes My Heart” is a slow beat ballad sung
with the unique sound the team possesses. Two teener items very much in the hit vein—and the J & J team
on the J & S label may be on their way to another national chart item. Both sides have the qualities to make
it big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRQr1jKJaTA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpPKf6QUXA8

THE DELLS (Vee-Jay 251)

"Q-BOP SHE-BOP” (2:22) [Tollie BMI—Bracken, Carter]
“A DISTANT LOVE” (2:40) [Conrad BMI—V. Allison]

The Dells swing into a middle beat wailing chant, “Q-Bop She- Bop,” and dish it up as a quaint and effective novelty number. The Dells lend it a top-flight reading and the resulting wax is one the
kids should grab up in large quantoty. The coupling, “A Distant Love,” is a middle beat Latin fla-
vored romancer handled so delightfully that it had better not be overlooked. It is a strong effort
with melody, individuality, and effective arrangement. Watch both decks.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo876FJlMzc

THE PARAGONS (Winley 220)

“LET’S START ALL OVER AGAIN” (2:38) [Ninny BMI—Paragons, Byrd, Winley]
“STICK WITH ME BABY” (2:14) [Ninny BMI—Winley, Bailey, Harris, McQuater, Lucas]

The Paragons follow their hit, “Florence,” with another item, “Let’s Start All Over Again,” that bears
all the markings of another best seller for the young group. The Paragons chant the slow beat ballad
with the falsetto voiced lead giving the deck the sound the kids find so attractive. Simple, syncopated
beat in the background performs its function nicely, supporting The Paragons effectively. The flip,
“Stick With Me Baby,” is a change of pace item. A quick beat jump for the dancing set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNKoGZTfNv0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN79WTl7m9c

DOC BAGBY (Okeh 4-7089)

“DUMPLIN'S” (2:28) [Carney BMI—Bagby]
Here’s a fella who’s building nicely in the sales department with each successive release. This middle beat
bouncer features a raucous and gravel throated sax. Great sound and excitement. Excellent instrumental wax.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 4-29-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - AUGUST 3, 1957

<a20ab95a5196e7e6be3eed25cc1bf66e@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43658&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43658

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: 4-29-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - AUGUST 3, 1957
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 19:15:47 +0000
 by: Roger - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 19:15 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> AUGUST 3, 1957

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1957/CB-1957-08-03.pdf

> The Cash Box Disk of the Week

> PAT BOONE (Dot 15602)

>> “REMEMBER YOU’RE MINE” (2:14) [Lowe-Tray ASCAP—Mann, Lowe]

> Equally exciting is “Remember You’re Mine”, a mellow reading of an out-standing new love song with a great summer lyric. Two clean-cut renditions of top drawer material.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRyLY7g9BOk

Just in case somebody is gagging for it here's Ray Vernon's original even drippier original of the big Pat Boone hit. Ray was Link Wray's bro BTW

> CHUCK CARBO

>> “POOR BOY” (2:08) [Travis BMI—Bartholomew, King]
> Carbo goes pop on this deck, singing a middle beat bouncer with engaging effectiveness. Light
> and lilty.

YT Clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DViMqGWNnS4

==========================================================================================================

Re: 4-29-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - AUGUST 3, 1957

<8a3608261e5ef80c53f24be62861e737@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43659&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43659

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 19:46:03 +0000
 by: Bruce - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 19:46 UTC

Roger wrote:

> Bruce wrote:

>> AUGUST 3, 1957

>> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1957/CB-1957-08-03.pdf

>> The Cash Box Disk of the Week

>> PAT BOONE (Dot 15602)

>>> “REMEMBER YOU’RE MINE” (2:14) [Lowe-Tray ASCAP—Mann, Lowe]

>> Equally exciting is “Remember You’re Mine”, a mellow reading of an out-standing new love song with a great summer lyric. Two clean-cut renditions of top drawer material.

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRyLY7g9BOk

> Just in case somebody is gagging for it here's Ray Vernon's original even drippier original of the big Pat Boone hit. Ray was Link Wray's bro BTW

Where?

>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> CHUCK CARBO

>>> “POOR BOY” (2:08) [Travis BMI—Bartholomew, King]
>> Carbo goes pop on this deck, singing a middle beat bouncer with engaging effectiveness. Light
>> and lilty.

> YT Clip

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DViMqGWNnS4

I wasn't missing much not having this one.

Re: 4-29-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - AUGUST 3, 1957

<26k03j1lkqpjq3auj47mo0lh200uvso49s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43661&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43661

From: letsrock@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 22:29:24 -0400
 by: RWC - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 02:29 UTC

On Mon, 29 Apr 2024 19:46:03 +0000, savoybg@aol.com (Bruce) wrote:

>Roger wrote:
>
>> Bruce wrote:
>
>>> AUGUST 3, 1957
>
>>> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1957/CB-1957-08-03.pdf
>
>>> The Cash Box Disk of the Week
>
>>> PAT BOONE (Dot 15602)

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRyLY7g9BOk
>
>> Just in case somebody is gagging for it here's Ray Vernon's original even drippier original of the big Pat Boone hit. Ray was Link Wray's bro BTW.
>
>Where?

A joke? With Roger presuming, correctly, that nobody here would be
gagging for it. Any anyway, it's easy to find on YT.

Re: 4-29-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - AUGUST 3, 1957

<09ec2a5624f9d06483af3ab1611cd223@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43662&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43662

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 04:24:32 +0000
 by: Roger - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 04:24 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> Roger wrote:

>> Bruce wrote:

>>> AUGUST 3, 1957

>>> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1957/CB-1957-08-03.pdf

>>> The Cash Box Disk of the Week

>>> PAT BOONE (Dot 15602)

>>> Equally exciting is “Remember You’re Mine”, a mellow reading of an out-standing new love song with a great summer lyric. Two clean-cut renditions of top drawer material.

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRyLY7g9BOk

>> Just in case somebody is gagging for it here's Ray Vernon's original even drippier original of the big Pat Boone hit. Ray was Link Wray's bro BTW

> Where?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B904HfKe5eo

Senior moment! :)

arts / rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s / 4-29-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - AUGUST 3, 1957