"my terminal is a lethal teaspoon." -- Patricia O Tuama

computers / Rocksolid Nodes Help / Configuring RSLight to block incoming articles based on headers?

SubjectAuthor
* Configuring RSLight to block incoming articles based on headers?Syber Shock
`* Configuring RSLight to block incoming articles based onRetro Guy
 `* Configuring RSLight to block incoming articles based onRetro Guy
  +* Configuring RSLight to block incoming articles based onRetro Guy
  |`- Configuring RSLight to block incoming articles based onRetro Guy
  `* Configuring RSLight to block incoming articles based onSyber Shock
   `* Configuring RSLight to block incoming articles based onRetro Guy
    `* TriMonoBlue Theme for Rocksolid LightSyber Shock
     +- TriMonoBlue Theme for Rocksolid LightRetro Guy
     `* TriMonoBlue Theme for Rocksolid LightRetro Guy
      `* TriMonoBlue Theme for Rocksolid LightRetro Guy
       `- TriMonoBlue Theme for Rocksolid LightSyber Shock

1
Configuring RSLight to block incoming articles based on headers?

<934ad5d8e73a935bae7b86853ff0ccc5$1@sybershock.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=614&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#614

From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Configuring RSLight to block incoming articles based on headers?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 12:07:54 -0500
logging-data="2012007"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org";
posting-account="TzG3Hl99Aa0Fgb506WreKRgRTO2mG9+aGjVDifyfNqo";
 by: Syber Shock - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 17:07 UTC

I want to prevent RSLight from accepting or storing incoming articles
based on substrings in headers, especially "*google*" in "Path" and
"*G2*" in "User-Agent" headers. I want to refuse, nix, and be sure to
not store or forward anything matching patterns in article headers. What
would be a simple (preferably RSLight-native) way to do this? I want to
avoid industrial-strength tools like cleanfeed and friends if at all
possible.

Bonus gushing praise points shall be awarded for any method to do the
same for the whole spool for articles that have already been
synchronized and stored.

If there is not a simple way would anyone point me to the hard way?

--
SugarBug | https://sybershock.com | NNTP | Usenet | Forum
Fediverse | https://syfershock.com/users/syfershock

Re: Configuring RSLight to block incoming articles based on headers?

<90aae6d22f7420f8186dcdbea5a320dd@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=615&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#615

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: Configuring RSLight to block incoming articles based on
headers?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 19:00:54 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 19:00 UTC

Syber Shock wrote:

> I want to prevent RSLight from accepting or storing incoming articles
> based on substrings in headers, especially "*google*" in "Path" and
> "*G2*" in "User-Agent" headers. I want to refuse, nix, and be sure to
> not store or forward anything matching patterns in article headers. What
> would be a simple (preferably RSLight-native) way to do this? I want to
> avoid industrial-strength tools like cleanfeed and friends if at all
> possible.

That's something I've already started on. I should have something this weekend. I'll let you know when I think it's working. Just finishing up some theme stuff right now.

> Bonus gushing praise points shall be awarded for any method to do the
> same for the whole spool for articles that have already been
> synchronized and stored.

The "easiest" way is using NoCeM. If you are set up for that, I may already have the NoCeM messages you need to get it done.

> If there is not a simple way would anyone point me to the hard way?

The hard way requires a hammer, but it's almost guaranteed to remove anyone's ability to read pretty much anything from your computer.

--
Retro Guy

Re: Configuring RSLight to block incoming articles based on headers?

<9e07f4e65b7efd551d3cae05d292ee93@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=618&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#618

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
headers?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 15:48:23 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 15:48 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Syber Shock wrote:

>> I want to prevent RSLight from accepting or storing incoming articles
>> based on substrings in headers, especially "*google*" in "Path" and
>> "*G2*" in "User-Agent" headers. I want to refuse, nix, and be sure to
>> not store or forward anything matching patterns in article headers. What
>> would be a simple (preferably RSLight-native) way to do this? I want to
>> avoid industrial-strength tools like cleanfeed and friends if at all
>> possible.

> That's something I've already started on. I should have something this weekend. I'll let you know when I think it's working. Just finishing up some theme stuff right now.

Seems I have it working now. Simply, there will be a new config file in $config_dir named 'header_filters.conf'. Of course also some code changes (to newsportal.php and spoolnews.php)

For now, you can filter by Path, Message-ID, From and Subject. I can add more later if necessary. Here's a sample of the content of header_filters.conf:

From: /test-user@nospam.example/

It should be pretty obvious, but it is the header name 'Path:' or whatever you're using, followed by a regex (including delimiters).

If you want to filter for more than one thing in the same header, add it to the regex as necessary, don't create a new line in the config file.

The above lines are just for my testing. The From: is just because this poster posts like every 3 minutes in alt.test, so it made it convenient for testing.

The second line 'Path: ' will filter any articles originating from google groups. I have a suspicion that this may be your intent :)

The changes to newsportal.php and spoolnews.php may be different, depending on if you have upgraded to the latest commit. Please let me know and we can go from there to get you running.

--
Retro Guy

Re: Configuring RSLight to block incoming articles based on headers?

<c993569a152e1bcc2ad5266b7b7fd299@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=619&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#619

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
headers?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 16:02:31 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 16:02 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Retro Guy wrote:

>> Syber Shock wrote:

>>> I want to prevent RSLight from accepting or storing incoming articles
>>> based on substrings in headers, especially "*google*" in "Path" and
>>> "*G2*" in "User-Agent" headers. I want to refuse, nix, and be sure to
>>> not store or forward anything matching patterns in article headers. What
>>> would be a simple (preferably RSLight-native) way to do this? I want to
>>> avoid industrial-strength tools like cleanfeed and friends if at all
>>> possible.

>> That's something I've already started on. I should have something this weekend. I'll let you know when I think it's working. Just finishing up some theme stuff right now.

> Seems I have it working now. Simply, there will be a new config file in $config_dir named 'header_filters.conf'. Of course also some code changes (to newsportal.php and spoolnews.php)

> For now, you can filter by Path, Message-ID, From and Subject. I can add more later if necessary. Here's a sample of the content of header_filters.conf:

> From: /test-user@nospam.example/

The '' to escape characters were stripped above. Don't forget to write a proper regex :)

--
Retro Guy

Re: Configuring RSLight to block incoming articles based on headers?

<1dda4c8e52e936c5a6c56dccf9bf3d87@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=620&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#620

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
headers?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 16:03:16 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 16:03 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Retro Guy wrote:

>> Retro Guy wrote:

>>> That's something I've already started on. I should have something this weekend. I'll let you know when I think it's working. Just finishing up some theme stuff right now.

>> Seems I have it working now. Simply, there will be a new config file in $config_dir named 'header_filters.conf'. Of course also some code changes (to newsportal.php and spoolnews.php)

>> For now, you can filter by Path, Message-ID, From and Subject. I can add more later if necessary. Here's a sample of the content of header_filters.conf:

>> From: /test-user@nospam.example/

> The '' to escape characters were stripped above. Don't forget to write a proper regex :)

Lol, I'm an idiot!

--
Retro Guy

Re: Configuring RSLight to block incoming articles based on headers?

<6e25f76537161e49252b734821e17b09$1@sybershock.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=621&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#621

From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
headers?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 17:12:30 -0500
logging-data="2222500"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org";
posting-account="TzG3Hl99Aa0Fgb506WreKRgRTO2mG9+aGjVDifyfNqo";
 by: Syber Shock - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 22:12 UTC

On Sat, 16 Sep 2023 15:48:23 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> The second line 'Path: ' will filter any articles originating from
> google groups. I have a suspicion that this may be your intent :)

Clouds part; bright sunrays and butterflies and rose petals rain down.

You must have seen the thread I started in news.admin.net-abuse.usenet.

I'm going to get ready to migrate from my old rslight install in a few
days. I will do a fresh install, sync it up with my old server, then
config in your peer and a few others. If the sync rejects the google
spam then witness fist-pumping happy dance.

--
SugarBug | https://sybershock.com | NNTP | Usenet | Forum
Fediverse | https://syfershock.com/users/syfershock
NightBulb | https://nightbulb.net | Flip the night switch.

Re: Configuring RSLight to block incoming articles based on headers?

<6384e5be43683f10260100f706ae9517@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=622&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#622

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
headers?
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 00:04:32 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 00:04 UTC

Syber Shock wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Sep 2023 15:48:23 +0000
> retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

>> The second line 'Path: ' will filter any articles originating from
>> google groups. I have a suspicion that this may be your intent :)

> Clouds part; bright sunrays and butterflies and rose petals rain down.

> You must have seen the thread I started in news.admin.net-abuse.usenet.

Yes, I've been following the discussion.

> I'm going to get ready to migrate from my old rslight install in a few
> days. I will do a fresh install, sync it up with my old server, then
> config in your peer and a few others. If the sync rejects the google
> spam then witness fist-pumping happy dance.

Sounds good. Please make sure to back up your theme, so you don't lose it on the install. It's a nice theme, I'd hate to see it disappear.

Again, please make sure to write the regex properly since it's missing the escape chars in my posted example, and that it requires the opening and closing delimiters in the .conf file ('/')

--
Retro Guy

TriMonoBlue Theme for Rocksolid Light

<4ce7447df3b1d6e5cf189aebdcd78e89$1@sybershock.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=623&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#623

From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: TriMonoBlue Theme for Rocksolid Light
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 22:52:13 -0500
logging-data="2250563"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org";
posting-account="TzG3Hl99Aa0Fgb506WreKRgRTO2mG9+aGjVDifyfNqo";
 by: Syber Shock - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 03:52 UTC
Attachments: TriMonoBlue.tar.xz (application/x-xz)

On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 00:04:32 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> Sounds good. Please make sure to back up your theme, so you don't
> lose it on the install. It's a nice theme, I'd hate to see it
> disappear.

The theme is attached as a tar.xz archive.

In my version of the theme a few lines of the PHP files of an older
rslight version were modfied to nest the headers view inside the div
rather than as overlay. Other than that everything should be exactly
the same.

When you push out all your most recent changes I'll look at that. I
will try to alter the theme to work with your most recent code as is
without the PHP hacks. Then I'll push that your way.

--
SugarBug | https://sybershock.com | NNTP | Usenet | Forum
Fediverse | https://syfershock.com/users/syfershock
NightBulb | https://nightbulb.net | Flip the night switch.

Attachments: TriMonoBlue.tar.xz (application/x-xz)
Re: TriMonoBlue Theme for Rocksolid Light

<963ac8a6b75320275616ccd0c204ca13@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=624&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#624

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: TriMonoBlue Theme for Rocksolid Light
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 14:06:29 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 14:06 UTC

Syber Shock wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 00:04:32 +0000
> retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

>> Sounds good. Please make sure to back up your theme, so you don't
>> lose it on the install. It's a nice theme, I'd hate to see it
>> disappear.

> The theme is attached as a tar.xz archive.

Thanks!

> In my version of the theme a few lines of the PHP files of an older
> rslight version were modfied to nest the headers view inside the div
> rather than as overlay. Other than that everything should be exactly
> the same.

The latest rslight has mods to header.php also.

--
Retro Guy

Re: TriMonoBlue Theme for Rocksolid Light

<bce045635498aa7430d6ddb92d3b4d24@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=634&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#634

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 12:18:07 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 12:18 UTC

Syber Shock wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 00:04:32 +0000
> retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

>> Sounds good. Please make sure to back up your theme, so you don't
>> lose it on the install. It's a nice theme, I'd hate to see it
>> disappear.

> The theme is attached as a tar.xz archive.

> In my version of the theme a few lines of the PHP files of an older
> rslight version were modfied to nest the headers view inside the div
> rather than as overlay. Other than that everything should be exactly
> the same.

I have added TriMonoBlue theme to my sites, and will add to git soon.

Thanks SS, it's a very nice theme!

Since I'm adding to a newer version of rslight, I tried to match as best
I could, but it's not completely perfect. Groups are not right justified
at the top of the screen, and a few other things.

I'm running it as my default theme on one site so I hopefully will come
across issues myself as I browse.

Note, to change themes you need to log in. Then it's in your comfig. I may
add a drop down in the future that will store it in a cookie, but that doesn't
exist right now.

--
Retro Guy

Re: TriMonoBlue Theme for Rocksolid Light

<21bb5f6f2eedf26670e6c867cd8ee5cd@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=651&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#651

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 18:26:23 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 18:26 UTC

I think this is my favourite theme right now! :)

--
Retro Guy

Re: TriMonoBlue Theme for Rocksolid Light

<5b7b261e5e4c4c5a8d638e248564184c$1@sybershock.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=652&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#652

From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 01:56:12 -0500
logging-data="122205"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org";
posting-account="TzG3Hl99Aa0Fgb506WreKRgRTO2mG9+aGjVDifyfNqo";
 by: Syber Shock - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 06:56 UTC

On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 18:26:23 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> I think this is my favourite theme right now! :)

Yeah, it's laid out like that at ye olde Syber Shock Shanty. We got you
covered like a jimmy hat.

I pushed some new 'latest' buttons so swapping colors is easy. Perhaps a
file selector in the engine or CSS URL property could switch between SVG
and PNG in themes based upon filename? The SVG files scale sharply. PNG
gets fuzzy scaling up if it is not a large image.

Maybe it would make sense to create some CSS3 shapes for the buttons so
the user can just change the colors in the theme CSS file. Then image
files wouldn't even be needed.

repo: https://codeberg.org/sugarbug/Rocksolid-Light-Logos

Here are the new commits with 6 designs and 10 colors:

triangle:
https://codeberg.org/sugarbug/Rocksolid-Light-Logos/commit/0d9d28e3535289c58b9cb8384b6ca42a586a0cab

hashtag.circle:
https://codeberg.org/sugarbug/Rocksolid-Light-Logos/commit/6958e958b920255d22f877fe33364c6356241bea