From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: rslight on FreeBSD
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 08:49:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 28 Mar 2020 08:49 UTC

I've installed rslight on a FreeBSD system to get a feel for installing it and how it runs.

I had some difficulty, which is good as it showed a few bugs that needed to be fixed.

During this process I've also resolved a timezone issue. I have run everything in UTC, but this install wasn't and interfered with proper date stamps. That's resolved now, it shouldn't matter what tz your server is set to, as long as the time is correct.

Also, I've optimized a function in the nntp server that makes it much faster now. I still need to work out a spawning issue on freebsd, but it doesn't interfere with operation.

You can check out the install on my test server at:
http://nyccgjh5cjapsf7frrhxqw73gb5hxj2ucau72ztn2oenxwetxr5q.b32.i2p

As always, it's a test server, so it can be down or completely messed up at any given time.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
nyccgjh5cjapsf7frrhxqw73gb5hxj2ucau72ztn2oenxwetxr5q.b32.i2p

Re: rslight on FreeBSD

<b62f27d9a91bb6bc020594f6fa06f41d$1@nyccgjh5cjapsf7frrhxqw73gb5hxj2ucau72ztn2oenxwetxr5q.b32.i2p>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=64&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#64

From: Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: rslight on FreeBSD
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 16:19:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mei - Sat, 28 Mar 2020 16:19 UTC

Hello from BSD Rocksolid Light! I hope this system is named "Retro Guy is Having Too Much Fun Playing with Rocksolid Stuff" or maybe "Retro Guy is Bored" :P

Of course I also hope you're having fun with all this :P Don't work too hard or you'll have/want to start charging us!
--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
nyccgjh5cjapsf7frrhxqw73gb5hxj2ucau72ztn2oenxwetxr5q.b32.i2p

Re: rslight on FreeBSD

<f9ef77701488d75a10e50f130e69865b$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=65&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#65

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 06:35:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 29 Mar 2020 06:35 UTC

Mei wrote:

> Hello from BSD Rocksolid Light! I hope this system is named "Retro Guy is Having Too Much Fun Playing with Rocksolid Stuff" or maybe "Retro Guy is Bored" :P

"Having too much fun" is it! I enjoy working on it.

I also figured that if someone actually decided to try to install it, they might be running freebsd and I wouldn't know if it would have worked. It wouldn't, but now it will :)

> Of course I also hope you're having fun with all this :P Don't work too hard or you'll have/want to start charging us!

Your bug reports have paid your dues. For everyone else, the bill is in the mail.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight on FreeBSD

<8b9be43818ec81ae29594bcdce9d0ed2$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=66&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#66

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 07:00:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 29 Mar 2020 07:00 UTC

This is working well, and the spawning issue seems to be resolved.

If you choose to install this version (not yet available on the site, but will be), you need to install either by ports or binary packages:

A web server: I've set up using nginx and it works fine.
Web server must be configured to serve php scripts. php-fpm works fine.

pkg install php72
pkg install php72-extensions

pkg install sharutils
pkg install php72-pcntl
pkg install php72-sockets
pkg install php72-mbstring

In /etc/rc.conf, enable your web server and php-fpm:

nginx_enable="YES"
php_fpm_enable="YES"

I also would recommend you run ntpd to keep time in sync.

That should be all that's needed to be added to a plain installation.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight on FreeBSD

<0e2ae4b78fd102586902240b63b8fe0d$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=67&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#67

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 07:47:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 29 Mar 2020 07:47 UTC

The changes made at the FreeBSD server have just been applied to rslight.i2p, which runs Debian Linux.

The code is identical between the FreeBSD and Linux version, which is what I want. Hopefully, rslight.i2p will run fine.

So basically, identical code for Debian (Jessie and Stretch), and FreeBSD 12.

The upgrade is how I wanted it to become, just overwrite everything in the web accessible directories and binary directory. The spool and config dirs are separate, so you can't mess them up during upgrade.

I have no plans at this time to install on any rpm based systems, and if you want to install on Arch or Gentoo, I'm sure you can figure it out.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight on FreeBSD

<25f6a6e82695bbd4a8cfe091f6e52955@def4>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=68&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#68

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 15:42:12+0000
 by: anon - Sun, 29 Mar 2020 15:42 UTC

Congrats, looks like you made it. When will you release the latest sources (or are they already) ?

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Re: rslight on FreeBSD

<7662d18b119d1dbe9e0e7ec4588167a5$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=69&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#69

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 10:00:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 30 Mar 2020 10:00 UTC

anon wrote:

> Congrats, looks like you made it. When will you release the latest sources (or are they already) ?

Thanks!

I'll release in a few days, but there will not yet be an installer, just instructions. It's not complicated, but an installation script would be nice.

It's pretty easy to install, just extract and place a few things in the right location. Since you run an old version, you'll just need to move or symlink your user folder (probably in /var/www/chkpop right now. It ends up in /etc/rslight/users. I would suggest installing in parallel to what you have, and when it's working ok, just switch to it with your web server.

All config is in /etc/rslight
All web stuff is of course wherever you put it (/var/www/html, or wherever)
Spool is in /var/spool/rslight
Some php scripts go in your path (/usr/local/bin or wherever). One script (cron.php) must be run regularly as a cron job.

All these locations can be configured, and are not burned into the code.

You edit /var/www/html/common/config.inc.php to point to your config dir and spool dir. Then edit /etc/rslight/rslight.inc.php for your settings.

There is a bit more to it than that, but nothing complicated (set directory permissions and such). Required subdirs of the main dirs are automatically created. It will help me create a config script once someone other than myself installs it. I can see what problems or question you have so I know what is not straightforward.

You should also be able to just point your fudforum install to the rslight news server if you wish, and let rslight poll and send from your systems. Somewhere in the chain an inn server (or similar) must exist, but you can run entirely without one, you just need to be connected to someone who is running one (or someone who is connected to someone else running one). The next version after this one should be able to remove that requirement entirely, meaning rslight can be the only news server throughout the entire chain.

I need to feature freeze right now, and make it available. I just created a nocem client that I'm using, but it won't be in this version.

I'll let you know when I have it ready.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light