Your computer account is overdrawn. Please reauthorize.

computers / Rocksolid Nodes Help / How does rslight work with spamassassin?

SubjectAuthor
* How does rslight work with spamassassin?SugarBug
`* How does rslight work with spamassassin?Retro Guy
 `* How does rslight work with spamassassin?SugarBug
  +* How does rslight work with spamassassin?Retro Guy
  |`* How does rslight work with spamassassin?Nobody
  | `* How does rslight work with spamassassin?Retro Guy
  |  `* How does rslight work with spamassassin?SugarBug
  |   `* How does rslight work with spamassassin?Retro Guy
  |    +* How does rslight work with spamassassin?Retro Guy
  |    |`* How does rslight work with spamassassin?SugarBug
  |    | `- How does rslight work with spamassassin?SugarBug
  |    `* How does rslight work with spamassassin?SugarBug
  |     `* How does rslight work with spamassassin?Retro Guy
  |      +* How does rslight work with spamassassin?Retro Guy
  |      |+* How does rslight work with spamassassin?Retro Guy
  |      ||+* How does rslight work with spamassassin?SugarBug
  |      |||`* How does rslight work with spamassassin?SugarBug
  |      ||| `* How does rslight work with spamassassin?Retro Guy
  |      |||  +* How does rslight work with spamassassin?SugarBug
  |      |||  |`* How does rslight work with spamassassin?Retro Guy
  |      |||  | `- How does rslight work with spamassassin?SugarBug
  |      |||  `* How does rslight work with spamassassin?SugarBug
  |      |||   +* How does rslight work with spamassassin?Retro Guy
  |      |||   |`* How does rslight work with spamassassin?SugarBug
  |      |||   | `* How does rslight work with spamassassin?Retro Guy
  |      |||   |  `- How does rslight work with spamassassin?SugarBug
  |      |||   `* How does rslight work with spamassassin?SugarBug
  |      |||    +- How does rslight work with spamassassin?Retro Guy
  |      |||    `* How does rslight work with spamassassin?Retro Guy
  |      |||     `* How does rslight work with spamassassin?Sugar Bug
  |      |||      `- How does rslight work with spamassassin?Retro Guy
  |      ||`- How does rslight work with spamassassin?SugarBug
  |      |`* How does rslight work with spamassassin?SugarBug
  |      | `* How does rslight work with spamassassin?Retro Guy
  |      |  `- How does rslight work with spamassassin?SugarBug
  |      `* How does rslight work with spamassassin?SugarBug
  |       `- How does rslight work with spamassassin?Retro Guy
  `- How does rslight work with spamassassin?Retro Guy

Pages:12
How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<uluu01$mi8d$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=736&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#736

From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: How does rslight work with spamassassin?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 08:34:55 -0600
 by: SugarBug - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 14:34 UTC

What data and type does rslight pass to the spamassassin application?

What data and type is returned from spamassassin back to rslight?

Does spamassassin return a boolean, path, filename, blob, score integer,
etc.? Or what type of data does rslight expect from spamassassin?

Does spamassassin handle the message/article files directly, or does it
pass a value to rslight which then handles the data?

The reason I ask is because I want to know the exact nature of the data
passed between the applications so I can make a script to buffer between
spamassassin and catch a short list of rules without invoking spamc.

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<1a8f06b429babaf01ad2875184a92755$1@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=737&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#737

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 14:57:23 +0000
From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Subject: Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 14:57 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 08:34:55 -0600, SugarBug wrote:

> What data and type does rslight pass to the spamassassin application?
>
> What data and type is returned from spamassassin back to rslight?
>
> Does spamassassin return a boolean, path, filename, blob, score integer,
> etc.? Or what type of data does rslight expect from spamassassin?
>
> Does spamassassin handle the message/article files directly, or does it
> pass a value to rslight which then handles the data?
>
> The reason I ask is because I want to know the exact nature of the data
> passed between the applications so I can make a script to buffer between
> spamassassin and catch a short list of rules without invoking spamc.

Spam filtering is handled in the function: 'function check_spam' in
newsportal.php (line 1260).

It builds a message with by finishing the header, then combining with the
body, so: $tmpheader.$body is the entire message.

I use spamc because my spamassassin install is remote from my rslight
servers, but you should be able to call spamassassin directly at line 1276
(change to):
$spamcommand = 'spamassassin -t < '.$spamfile;

Then you will need to read $spamresult to see what comes back, and act on
the reply.

I do not have much familiarity with what the result might be, as I always
use spamc.

Anyway, the function mentioned above is where this all takes place. I hope
I've provided at least a bit of helpful information :)

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<ulvmo7$o6rc$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=738&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#738

From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:37:25 -0600
 by: SugarBug - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 21:37 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 14:57:23 +0000
Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 08:34:55 -0600, SugarBug wrote:
>
> > What data and type does rslight pass to the spamassassin
> > application?
> >
> > What data and type is returned from spamassassin back to rslight?
> >
> > Does spamassassin return a boolean, path, filename, blob, score
> > integer, etc.? Or what type of data does rslight expect from
> > spamassassin?
> >
> > Does spamassassin handle the message/article files directly, or
> > does it pass a value to rslight which then handles the data?
> >
> > The reason I ask is because I want to know the exact nature of the
> > data passed between the applications so I can make a script to
> > buffer between spamassassin and catch a short list of rules without
> > invoking spamc.
>
> Spam filtering is handled in the function: 'function check_spam' in
> newsportal.php (line 1260).
>
> It builds a message with by finishing the header, then combining with
> the body, so: $tmpheader.$body is the entire message.
>
> I use spamc because my spamassassin install is remote from my rslight
> servers, but you should be able to call spamassassin directly at line
> 1276 (change to):
> $spamcommand = 'spamassassin -t < '.$spamfile;
>
> Then you will need to read $spamresult to see what comes back, and
> act on the reply.
>
> I do not have much familiarity with what the result might be, as I
> always use spamc.
>
> Anyway, the function mentioned above is where this all takes place. I
> hope I've provided at least a bit of helpful information :)

No matter what I do, nothing is blocked, not spam headers are
generated, and nothing is moved to the spam group.

I have copied the same custom blacklist_from config to every
spamassassin config directory on the machine, restarted, rebooted,
wiped and started over, and nada. It's like spamc and spamd don't even
exist on the machine. They work fine with exim, but nothing is
happening when called from rslight.

How are you adding custom header scoring rules and blacklist_from
rules?

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<010e43fe9d15135071be38ca2fd17ca6$1@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=739&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#739

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 21:48:40 +0000
From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 21:48 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:37:25 -0600, SugarBug wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 14:57:23 +0000 Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 08:34:55 -0600, SugarBug wrote:
>>
>> > What data and type does rslight pass to the spamassassin application?
>> >
>> > What data and type is returned from spamassassin back to rslight?
>> >
>> > Does spamassassin return a boolean, path, filename, blob, score
>> > integer, etc.? Or what type of data does rslight expect from
>> > spamassassin?
>> >
>> > Does spamassassin handle the message/article files directly, or does
>> > it pass a value to rslight which then handles the data?
>> >
>> > The reason I ask is because I want to know the exact nature of the
>> > data passed between the applications so I can make a script to buffer
>> > between spamassassin and catch a short list of rules without invoking
>> > spamc.
>>
>> Spam filtering is handled in the function: 'function check_spam' in
>> newsportal.php (line 1260).
>>
>> It builds a message with by finishing the header, then combining with
>> the body, so: $tmpheader.$body is the entire message.
>>
>> I use spamc because my spamassassin install is remote from my rslight
>> servers, but you should be able to call spamassassin directly at line
>> 1276 (change to):
>> $spamcommand = 'spamassassin -t < '.$spamfile;
>>
>> Then you will need to read $spamresult to see what comes back, and act
>> on the reply.
>>
>> I do not have much familiarity with what the result might be, as I
>> always use spamc.
>>
>> Anyway, the function mentioned above is where this all takes place. I
>> hope I've provided at least a bit of helpful information :)
>
> No matter what I do, nothing is blocked, not spam headers are generated,
> and nothing is moved to the spam group.
>
> I have copied the same custom blacklist_from config to every
> spamassassin config directory on the machine, restarted, rebooted, wiped
> and started over, and nada. It's like spamc and spamd don't even exist
> on the machine. They work fine with exim, but nothing is happening when
> called from rslight.
>
> How are you adding custom header scoring rules and blacklist_from rules?

Ok... Let's start here:

First check your rslight.inc.php:

'spamassassin' => '1', // enables spamassassin checking
'spamc' => 'spamc', // points to your spamc. If not in your path, enter
the full path.
'spamgroup' => 'rocksolid.spam', // where to post detected spam

You can test spamassassin by saving a full article, including headers to a
file, then:

spamc -E < spam_filename

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<2056cc3c00cc7a400760002262e141d6@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=740&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#740

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 21:54:40 +0000
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 21:54 UTC

SugarBug wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 14:57:23 +0000
> Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.org> wrote:

>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 08:34:55 -0600, SugarBug wrote:
>>
>> > What data and type does rslight pass to the spamassassin
>> > application?
>> >
>> > What data and type is returned from spamassassin back to rslight?
>> >
>> > Does spamassassin return a boolean, path, filename, blob, score
>> > integer, etc.? Or what type of data does rslight expect from
>> > spamassassin?
>> >
>> > Does spamassassin handle the message/article files directly, or
>> > does it pass a value to rslight which then handles the data?
>> >
>> > The reason I ask is because I want to know the exact nature of the
>> > data passed between the applications so I can make a script to
>> > buffer between spamassassin and catch a short list of rules without
>> > invoking spamc.
>>
>> Spam filtering is handled in the function: 'function check_spam' in
>> newsportal.php (line 1260).
>>
>> It builds a message with by finishing the header, then combining with
>> the body, so: $tmpheader.$body is the entire message.
>>
>> I use spamc because my spamassassin install is remote from my rslight
>> servers, but you should be able to call spamassassin directly at line
>> 1276 (change to):
>> $spamcommand = 'spamassassin -t < '.$spamfile;
>>
>> Then you will need to read $spamresult to see what comes back, and
>> act on the reply.
>>
>> I do not have much familiarity with what the result might be, as I
>> always use spamc.
>>
>> Anyway, the function mentioned above is where this all takes place. I
>> hope I've provided at least a bit of helpful information :)

> No matter what I do, nothing is blocked, not spam headers are
> generated, and nothing is moved to the spam group.

> I have copied the same custom blacklist_from config to every
> spamassassin config directory on the machine, restarted, rebooted,
> wiped and started over, and nada. It's like spamc and spamd don't even
> exist on the machine. They work fine with exim, but nothing is
> happening when called from rslight.

I don't know 'blacklist_from', other than assuming from the filename.

Also, check /etc/defaults/spamd and /etc/defaults/spamassassin . Make sure you are allowed to connect to it.

You should see spamassassin logging in /var/log/syslog.

> How are you adding custom header scoring rules and blacklist_from
> rules?

All my rules are in .cf files on my spamassassin server.

--
Retro Guy

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<ulvqn3$o6rc$2@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=741&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#741

From: none@none.none (Nobody)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:45:04 -0600
 by: Nobody - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:45 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 21:48:40 +0000
Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:37:25 -0600, SugarBug wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 14:57:23 +0000 Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.org>
> > wrote:

> >> Spam filtering is handled in the function: 'function check_spam' in
> >> newsportal.php (line 1260).
> >>
> >> It builds a message with by finishing the header, then combining
> >> with the body, so: $tmpheader.$body is the entire message.
> >>
> >> I use spamc because my spamassassin install is remote from my
> >> rslight servers, but you should be able to call spamassassin
> >> directly at line 1276 (change to):
> >> $spamcommand = 'spamassassin -t < '.$spamfile;
> >>
> >> Then you will need to read $spamresult to see what comes back, and
> >> act on the reply.
> >>
> >> I do not have much familiarity with what the result might be, as I
> >> always use spamc.
> >>
> >> Anyway, the function mentioned above is where this all takes
> >> place. I hope I've provided at least a bit of helpful information
> >> :)
> >
> > No matter what I do, nothing is blocked, not spam headers are
> > generated, and nothing is moved to the spam group.
> >
> > I have copied the same custom blacklist_from config to every
> > spamassassin config directory on the machine, restarted, rebooted,
> > wiped and started over, and nada. It's like spamc and spamd don't
> > even exist on the machine. They work fine with exim, but nothing is
> > happening when called from rslight.
> >
> > How are you adding custom header scoring rules and blacklist_from
> > rules?
>
> Ok... Let's start here:
>
> First check your rslight.inc.php:
>
> 'spamassassin' => '1', // enables spamassassin checking

Yup, checked.

> 'spamc' => 'spamc', // points to your spamc. If not in your path,

Yup, checked.

> enter the full path.
> 'spamgroup' => 'rocksolid.spam', // where to post detected spam

Yup, then after it didn't work for many runs, I created the group
spam.spam.spam and changed it to spam.spam.spam then back to
rocksolid.spam. Still no workie. Currently set back to rocksolid.spam.
Three runs on blank spool. No workie.
> You can test spamassassin by saving a full article, including headers
> to a file, then:
>
> spamc -E < spam_filename

The addresses in the blocklist are throwing the spam flag. I spun up a
test message just to be sure, and the rule:

blacklist_from black@hole.url does indeed throw the 100 points for
spam. Here is syslog:

<testing@spamc.test>,autolearn=no autolearn_force=no
2023-12-20T17:20:26.498352-05:00 nightbulb spamd[5466]: spamd:
processing message <testing@spamc.test> for sybershock.com:1003
2023-12-20T17:20:26.664107-05:00 nightbulb spamd[5466]: spamd: result:
Y 103 -
DKIM_ADSP_NXDOMAIN,EMPTY_MESSAGE,NO_RECEIVED,NO_RELAYS,USER_IN_BLOCKLIST
scantime=0.2,size=243,user=sybershock.com,uid=1003,required_score=5.0,rhost=localhost,raddr=::1,rport=55386,mid=<testing@spamc.test>,autolearn=no
autolearn_force=no

Here is the spamc output:

$> $ spamc -E < deleteme.eml
From: black@hole.url
To: deep@dark.url
Subject: 40 Trillion Pounds of Free Mushrooms to Recover Your Lost
Bitcoin Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:18:49 -0500

------------=_658368AA.04D6ACDD

Spam detection software, running on the system "nightbulb.net",
has identified this incoming email as possible spam. The original
message has been attached to this so you can view it or label
similar future email. If you have any questions, see
@@CONTACT_ADDRESS@@ for details.

Content preview:

Content analysis details: (103.1 points, 5.0 required)

pts rule name description
---- ----------------------
-------------------------------------------------- -0.0 NO_RECEIVED
Informational: message has no Received headers 2.3
EMPTY_MESSAGE Message appears to have no textual parts 100
USER_IN_BLOCKLIST From: user is listed in the block-list 0.8
DKIM_ADSP_NXDOMAIN No valid author signature and domain not in DNS
-0.0 NO_RELAYS Informational: message was not relayed via
SMTP

------------=_658368AA.04D6ACDD

From: black@hole.url
To: deep@dark.url
Newsgroups: spam.spam.spam
Bitcoin Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:18:49 -0500
This is a test of the spamc.
..

------------=_658368AA.04D6ACDD--

Then I tested for this famous Usenet celebrity (HeartDoc Andrew
<disciple@T3WiJ.com>), who I placed in the blacklist, and sure enough,
spamc marks it as spam, but the article still shows up in the groups.
None of his messages are moved to spam:

From: HeartDoc Andrew <disciple@T3WiJ.com>
Subject: WDJW thought for 11/30/23 ...
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 00:50:41 -0500

------------=_65836ADC.7C778723

Spam detection software, running on the system "nightbulb.net",
has identified this incoming email as possible spam. The original
message has been attached to this so you can view it or label
similar future email. If you have any questions, see
@@CONTACT_ADDRESS@@ for details.

Content preview: "He said in a loud voice, 'Fear GOD and give Him
glory, because the hour of His judgment has come. Worship Him Who made
the heavens, the Earth, the sea and the springs of water.'” (Revelation
14:7)

Content analysis details: (101.2 points, 5.0 required)

pts rule name description
---- ----------------------
-------------------------------------------------- -0.0 NO_RECEIVED
Informational: message has no Received headers 100
USER_IN_BLOCKLIST From: user is listed in the block-list 0.0
URIBL_BLOCKED ADMINISTRATOR NOTICE: The query to URIBL was
blocked. See
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DnsBlocklists#dnsbl-block for more
information. [URI: bit.ly]
[URI: wdjw.net]
[URI: wonderfullyhungry.org]
-0.0 NO_RELAYS Informational: message was not relayed via
SMTP 1.2 MISSING_HEADERS Missing To: header

Click here to read the complete article
Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<ulvrl2$h5kb$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=742&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#742

From: retroguy@i2pn2.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:59:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:59 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:45:04 -0600, Nobody wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 21:48:40 +0000 Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:37:25 -0600, SugarBug wrote:

>> > No matter what I do, nothing is blocked, not spam headers are
>> > generated, and nothing is moved to the spam group.
>> >
>> > I have copied the same custom blacklist_from config to every
>> > spamassassin config directory on the machine, restarted, rebooted,
>> > wiped and started over, and nada. It's like spamc and spamd don't
>> > even exist on the machine. They work fine with exim, but nothing is
>> > happening when called from rslight.
>> >
>> > How are you adding custom header scoring rules and blacklist_from
>> > rules?
>>
>> Ok... Let's start here:
>>
>> First check your rslight.inc.php:
>>
>> 'spamassassin' => '1', // enables spamassassin checking
>
> Yup, checked.
>
>> 'spamc' => 'spamc', // points to your spamc. If not in your path,
>
> Yup, checked.
>
>> enter the full path.
>> 'spamgroup' => 'rocksolid.spam', // where to post detected spam
>
> Yup, then after it didn't work for many runs, I created the group
> spam.spam.spam and changed it to spam.spam.spam then back to
> rocksolid.spam. Still no workie. Currently set back to rocksolid.spam.
> Three runs on blank spool. No workie.
>
>> You can test spamassassin by saving a full article, including headers
>> to a file, then:
>>
>> spamc -E < spam_filename
>
> The addresses in the blocklist are throwing the spam flag. I spun up a
> test message just to be sure, and the rule:

<snip>

> Multiple times I deleted the entire spool, set overrides so they would
> pull only a few messages per run, and ran multiple times, and none of
> the spam is moved to spam.

is rocksolid.spam in $config_dir/spoolnews/groups.txt ?

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<ulvrvv$oh6b$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=743&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#743

From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:06:53 -0600
 by: SugarBug - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:06 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:59:46 -0000 (UTC)
Retro Guy <retroguy@i2pn2.org> wrote:

<snip>

> > Multiple times I deleted the entire spool, set overrides so they
> > would pull only a few messages per run, and ran multiple times, and
> > none of the spam is moved to spam.
>
> is rocksolid.spam in $config_dir/spoolnews/groups.txt ?

spoolnews$ cat groups.txt
rocksolid.spam

spoolnews$ cat groups.txt.dist
rocksolid.spam

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<ulvt04$h5kb$2@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=744&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#744

From: retroguy@i2pn2.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:22:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:22 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:06:53 -0600, SugarBug wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:59:46 -0000 (UTC)
> Retro Guy <retroguy@i2pn2.org> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> > Multiple times I deleted the entire spool, set overrides so they
>> > would pull only a few messages per run, and ran multiple times, and
>> > none of the spam is moved to spam.
>>
>> is rocksolid.spam in $config_dir/spoolnews/groups.txt ?
>
> spoolnews$ cat groups.txt rocksolid.spam
>
> spoolnews$ cat groups.txt.dist rocksolid.spam

Not sure if it would be a problem, but is rocksolid.spam in more than one
section/groups.txt?

I only ask because I see it on one of the sites you sent me a link to.

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<ulvt3v$h5kb$3@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=745&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#745

From: retroguy@i2pn2.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:24:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:24 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:22:44 -0000 (UTC), Retro Guy wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:06:53 -0600, SugarBug wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:59:46 -0000 (UTC) Retro Guy <retroguy@i2pn2.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> is rocksolid.spam in $config_dir/spoolnews/groups.txt ?
>>
>> spoolnews$ cat groups.txt rocksolid.spam
>>
>> spoolnews$ cat groups.txt.dist rocksolid.spam
>
> Not sure if it would be a problem, but is rocksolid.spam in more than
> one section/groups.txt?
>
> I only ask because I see it on one of the sites you sent me a link to.

Also, when you post in rslight, does syslog log any spamassassin activity
at all?

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<ulvu0r$oh6b$2@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=746&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#746

From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:41:28 -0600
 by: SugarBug - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:41 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:22:44 -0000 (UTC)
Retro Guy <retroguy@i2pn2.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:06:53 -0600, SugarBug wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:59:46 -0000 (UTC)
> > Retro Guy <retroguy@i2pn2.org> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>

> >> is rocksolid.spam in $config_dir/spoolnews/groups.txt ?
> >
> > spoolnews$ cat groups.txt rocksolid.spam
> >
> > spoolnews$ cat groups.txt.dist rocksolid.spam
>
> Not sure if it would be a problem, but is rocksolid.spam in more than
> one section/groups.txt?
>
> I only ask because I see it on one of the sites you sent me a link to.

I added it in rocksolid/groups.txt so it would be visible.

$ cat rocksolid/groups.txt
:Rocksolid newsgroups...
rocksolid.nodes.help Questions and Help for node administration.
rocksolid.spam So you have chosen DEATH!

$ cat random/groups.txt
:random newsgroups...
spam
spam.spam
spam.spam.spam
alt.bible
sci.med.cardiology

$ cat spoolnews/groups.txt
rocksolid.spam

cat spoolnews/groups.txt.dist
rocksolid.spam

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<ulvufe$h5kb$4@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=747&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#747

From: retroguy@i2pn2.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:47:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:47 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:41:28 -0600, SugarBug wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:22:44 -0000 (UTC)
> Retro Guy <retroguy@i2pn2.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:06:53 -0600, SugarBug wrote:
>>
>> > On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:59:46 -0000 (UTC) Retro Guy
>> > <retroguy@i2pn2.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > <snip>

>> > spoolnews$ cat groups.txt rocksolid.spam
>> >
>> > spoolnews$ cat groups.txt.dist rocksolid.spam
>>
>> Not sure if it would be a problem, but is rocksolid.spam in more than
>> one section/groups.txt?
>>
>> I only ask because I see it on one of the sites you sent me a link to.
>
> I added it in rocksolid/groups.txt so it would be visible.

Try taking it out of one. So it is in only one section. It shouldn't
matter what section.

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<ulvup8$h5kb$5@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=748&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#748

From: retroguy@i2pn2.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:53:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:53 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:47:58 -0000 (UTC), Retro Guy wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:41:28 -0600, SugarBug wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:22:44 -0000 (UTC)
>> Retro Guy <retroguy@i2pn2.org> wrote:

>>> Not sure if it would be a problem, but is rocksolid.spam in more than
>>> one section/groups.txt?
>>>
>>> I only ask because I see it on one of the sites you sent me a link to.
>>
>> I added it in rocksolid/groups.txt so it would be visible.
>
> Try taking it out of one. So it is in only one section. It shouldn't
> matter what section.

Also, the code for checking spam is in post.inc.php:

if ((isset($CONFIG['spamassassin']) && ($CONFIG['spamassassin'] ==
true))) {
$spam_result_array = check_spam($subject, $from, $newsgroups,
$ref, $body, $msgid);
$res = $spam_result_array['res'];
$spamresult = $spam_result_array['spamresult'];
$spamcheckerversion = $spam_result_array['spamcheckerversion'];
$spamlevel = $spam_result_array['spamlevel'];
$spam_fail = $spam_result_array['spam_fail'];
}

followed by:

if ((isset($CONFIG['spamassassin']) && ($CONFIG['spamassassin'] ==
true))) {
if (isset($res) && $spam_fail == 0) {
fputs($ns, $spamcheckerversion . "\r\n");
if (strpos($spamlevel, '*') !== false)
fputs($ns, $spamlevel . "\r\n");
if ($res === 1) {
fputs($ns, "X-Rslight-Original-Group: " .
$newsgroups . "\r\n");
$newsgroups = $CONFIG['spamgroup'];
}
}
}

You might try echoing some values while testing:

$CONFIG['spamassassin']
$CONFIG['spamgroup']
$res
$spam_fail
$newsgroups

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<ulvut0$oh6b$3@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=749&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#749

From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:56:30 -0600
 by: SugarBug - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:56 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:24:47 -0000 (UTC)
Retro Guy <retroguy@i2pn2.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:22:44 -0000 (UTC), Retro Guy wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:06:53 -0600, SugarBug wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:59:46 -0000 (UTC) Retro Guy
> >> <retroguy@i2pn2.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip>

> >> spoolnews$ cat groups.txt rocksolid.spam
> >>
> >> spoolnews$ cat groups.txt.dist rocksolid.spam
> >
> > Not sure if it would be a problem, but is rocksolid.spam in more
> > than one section/groups.txt?
> >
> > I only ask because I see it on one of the sites you sent me a link
> > to.
>
> Also, when you post in rslight, does syslog log any spamassassin
> activity at all?

No. None whatsoever. Message goes straight to the local spam group I
sent it to. Note: I sent it to that group, it didn't get moved there.

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<ulvv5u$oh6b$4@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=750&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#750

From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 18:01:16 -0600
 by: SugarBug - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 00:01 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:56:30 -0600
SugarBug <3883@sugar.bug> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:24:47 -0000 (UTC)
> Retro Guy <retroguy@i2pn2.org> wrote:

> > > Not sure if it would be a problem, but is rocksolid.spam in more
> > > than one section/groups.txt?
> > >
> > > I only ask because I see it on one of the sites you sent me a link
> > > to.
> >
> > Also, when you post in rslight, does syslog log any spamassassin
> > activity at all?
>
> No. None whatsoever. Message goes straight to the local spam group I
> sent it to. Note: I sent it to that group, it didn't get moved there.

I changed config for spamc to '/bin/spamc' and it makes no difference.

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<50fc054de8da655d930567ec7e4e37be@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=751&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#751

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 00:12:35 +0000
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 00:12 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:47:58 -0000 (UTC), Retro Guy wrote:

>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:41:28 -0600, SugarBug wrote:

>>> I added it in rocksolid/groups.txt so it would be visible.
>>
>> Try taking it out of one. So it is in only one section. It shouldn't
>> matter what section.

> Also, the code for checking spam is in post.inc.php:

> if ((isset($CONFIG['spamassassin']) && ($CONFIG['spamassassin'] ==
> true))) {
> $spam_result_array = check_spam($subject, $from, $newsgroups,
> $ref, $body, $msgid);
> $res = $spam_result_array['res'];
> $spamresult = $spam_result_array['spamresult'];
> $spamcheckerversion = $spam_result_array['spamcheckerversion'];
> $spamlevel = $spam_result_array['spamlevel'];
> $spam_fail = $spam_result_array['spam_fail'];
> }

> followed by:

> if ((isset($CONFIG['spamassassin']) && ($CONFIG['spamassassin'] ==
> true))) {
> if (isset($res) && $spam_fail == 0) {
> fputs($ns, $spamcheckerversion . "rn");
> if (strpos($spamlevel, '*') !== false)
> fputs($ns, $spamlevel . "rn");
> if ($res === 1) {
> fputs($ns, "X-Rslight-Original-Group: " .
> $newsgroups . "rn");
> $newsgroups = $CONFIG['spamgroup'];
> }
> }
> }

> You might try echoing some values while testing:

> $CONFIG['spamassassin']
> $CONFIG['spamgroup']
> $res
> $spam_fail
> $newsgroups

I would try adding a line inside the first 'if' that creates a file, so you can see if it ever gets there:

touch('/path/to/some/file/i/have/privileges/to/write');

If that fails, try changing $CONFIG['spamassassin'] from '1' to true in rslight.inc.php:
'spamassassin' => true,

--
Retro Guy

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<ulvvpu$oh6b$5@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=752&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#752

From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 18:11:55 -0600
 by: SugarBug - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 00:11 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:47:58 -0000 (UTC)
Retro Guy <retroguy@i2pn2.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:41:28 -0600, SugarBug wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:22:44 -0000 (UTC)
> > Retro Guy <retroguy@i2pn2.org> wrote:

> >> Not sure if it would be a problem, but is rocksolid.spam in more
> >> than one section/groups.txt?
> >>
> >> I only ask because I see it on one of the sites you sent me a link
> >> to.
> >
> > I added it in rocksolid/groups.txt so it would be visible.
>
> Try taking it out of one. So it is in only one section. It shouldn't
> matter what section.

Done. Ran cron several times. Messages from the blacklisted address
still gets listed in the web portal. The messages are listed, but
clicking on them gives message not available error.

However the messages are still available via NNTP.

No messages about the spam in syslog.

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<um001g$h5kb$6@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=753&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#753

From: retroguy@i2pn2.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 00:14:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 00:14 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 18:11:55 -0600, SugarBug wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:47:58 -0000 (UTC)
> Retro Guy <retroguy@i2pn2.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:41:28 -0600, SugarBug wrote:

>> > I added it in rocksolid/groups.txt so it would be visible.
>>
>> Try taking it out of one. So it is in only one section. It shouldn't
>> matter what section.
>
> Done. Ran cron several times. Messages from the blacklisted address
> still gets listed in the web portal. The messages are listed, but
> clicking on them gives message not available error.
>
> However the messages are still available via NNTP.
>
> No messages about the spam in syslog.

Are you trying to remove already existing messages?

rslight uses spamassassin to check a message when it's posted.

If it's already on the site, you need NoCeM or such to delete it.

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<um19va$qt72$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=754&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#754

From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 06:11:39 -0600
<ulvup8$h5kb$5@i2pn2.org>
<50fc054de8da655d930567ec7e4e37be@news.novabbs.org>
 by: SugarBug - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 12:11 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 00:12:35 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> Retro Guy wrote:

> >> Try taking it out of one. So it is in only one section. It
> >> shouldn't matter what section.
>
> > Also, the code for checking spam is in post.inc.php:
>
> > if ((isset($CONFIG['spamassassin']) && ($CONFIG['spamassassin']
> > == true))) {
> > $spam_result_array = check_spam($subject, $from,
> > $newsgroups, $ref, $body, $msgid);
> > $res = $spam_result_array['res'];
> > $spamresult = $spam_result_array['spamresult'];
> > $spamcheckerversion =
> > $spam_result_array['spamcheckerversion']; $spamlevel =
> > $spam_result_array['spamlevel']; $spam_fail =
> > $spam_result_array['spam_fail']; }
>
> > followed by:
>
> > if ((isset($CONFIG['spamassassin']) &&
> > ($CONFIG['spamassassin'] == true))) {
> > if (isset($res) && $spam_fail == 0) {
> > fputs($ns, $spamcheckerversion . "rn");
> > if (strpos($spamlevel, '*') !== false)
> > fputs($ns, $spamlevel . "rn");
> > if ($res === 1) {
> > fputs($ns, "X-Rslight-Original-Group: " .
> > $newsgroups . "rn");
> > $newsgroups = $CONFIG['spamgroup'];
> > }
> > }
> > }
>
> > You might try echoing some values while testing:
>
> > $CONFIG['spamassassin']
> > $CONFIG['spamgroup']
> > $res
> > $spam_fail
> > $newsgroups
>
> I would try adding a line inside the first 'if' that creates a file,
> so you can see if it ever gets there:
>
> touch('/path/to/some/file/i/have/privileges/to/write');
>
> If that fails, try changing $CONFIG['spamassassin'] from '1' to true
> in rslight.inc.php: 'spamassassin' => true,

I changed config to: 'spamassassin' => true,
I wiped out the spool and started over:

spool$ ls | grep -v nocem | while read line ; do rm -rf "$line" ; done

I ran the cron several times.

Nothing shows up in syslog. The blacklisted messages are copied to the
newsgroup.

I changed spamassassin' => true, back to spamassassin' => 1,

Then I removed the random section and put the groups in the rocksolid
section. I removed the random folder and random.inc.php. Now when I run
the cron I get:

Sending articles
Send DonePHP Fatal error: Uncaught TypeError: fgets(): Argument #1
($stream) must be of type resource, bool given in
..../rocksolid/newsportal.php:355 Stack trace: #0
..../rocksolid/newsportal.php(355): fgets() #1
..../scripts/spoolnews.php(352): testGroup() #2
..../scripts/spoolnews.php(139): get_articles() #3 {main}
thrown in ..//rocksolid/newsportal.php on line 355

And still nothing for spamc or spamd in syslog.

I wiped out the spool and tried again. Still nothing in syslog. Still
this error:

Sending articles
Send DonePHP Fatal error: Uncaught TypeError: fgets(): Argument #1
($stream) must be of type resource, bool given in
..../rocksolid/newsportal.php:355 Stack trace: #0
..../rocksolid/newsportal.php(355): fgets() #1
..../scripts/spoolnews.php(352): testGroup() #2
..../scripts/spoolnews.php(139): get_articles() #3 {main}
thrown in ..//rocksolid/newsportal.php on line 355

A few runs I changed the spamc setting to /bin/spamc. Still same
results.

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<um1avp$qt72$2@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=755&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#755

From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 06:28:58 -0600
<ulvup8$h5kb$5@i2pn2.org>
 by: SugarBug - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 12:28 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:53:13 -0000 (UTC)
Retro Guy <retroguy@i2pn2.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:47:58 -0000 (UTC), Retro Guy wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:41:28 -0600, SugarBug wrote:

> >> I added it in rocksolid/groups.txt so it would be visible.
> >
> > Try taking it out of one. So it is in only one section. It shouldn't
> > matter what section.
>
> Also, the code for checking spam is in post.inc.php:
>
> if ((isset($CONFIG['spamassassin']) && ($CONFIG['spamassassin']
> == true))) {
> $spam_result_array = check_spam($subject, $from, $newsgroups,
> $ref, $body, $msgid);
> $res = $spam_result_array['res'];
> $spamresult = $spam_result_array['spamresult'];
> $spamcheckerversion =
> $spam_result_array['spamcheckerversion']; $spamlevel =
> $spam_result_array['spamlevel']; $spam_fail =
> $spam_result_array['spam_fail']; }
>
> followed by:
>
> if ((isset($CONFIG['spamassassin']) &&
> ($CONFIG['spamassassin'] == true))) {
> if (isset($res) && $spam_fail == 0) {
> fputs($ns, $spamcheckerversion . "\r\n");
> if (strpos($spamlevel, '*') !== false)
> fputs($ns, $spamlevel . "\r\n");
> if ($res === 1) {
> fputs($ns, "X-Rslight-Original-Group: " .
> $newsgroups . "\r\n");
> $newsgroups = $CONFIG['spamgroup'];
> }
> }
> }
>
> You might try echoing some values while testing:
>
> $CONFIG['spamassassin']
> $CONFIG['spamgroup']
> $res
> $spam_fail
> $newsgroups

I inserted this code at the end of post.inc.php:

echo '>>>>>>>>>';
echo $CONFIG['spamassassin'];
echo ' | ';
echo $CONFIG['spamgroup'];
echo ' | ';
echo $res;
echo ' | ';
echo $spam_fail;
echo ' | ';
echo $newsgroups;
echo ' | ';
echo '<<<<<<<<<';
echo ' | ';

When running the cron here is the output from the code:

The values after 'spamgroup' are empty.

And I still get the error:

..../rocksolid/newsportal.php on line 355

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<83bf303b3ec06d39d99e91a91f05b5a6$1@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=756&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#756

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 12:44:51 +0000
From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 12:44 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 06:28:58 -0600, SugarBug wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:53:13 -0000 (UTC)
> Retro Guy <retroguy@i2pn2.org> wrote:

>> > Try taking it out of one. So it is in only one section. It shouldn't
>> > matter what section.
>>
>> Also, the code for checking spam is in post.inc.php:
>>
>> if ((isset($CONFIG['spamassassin']) && ($CONFIG['spamassassin']
>> == true))) {
>> $spam_result_array = check_spam($subject, $from, $newsgroups,
>> $ref, $body, $msgid);
>> $res = $spam_result_array['res'];
>> $spamresult = $spam_result_array['spamresult'];
>> $spamcheckerversion =
>> $spam_result_array['spamcheckerversion']; $spamlevel =
>> $spam_result_array['spamlevel']; $spam_fail =
>> $spam_result_array['spam_fail']; }
>>
>> followed by:
>>
>> if ((isset($CONFIG['spamassassin']) &&
>> ($CONFIG['spamassassin'] == true))) {
>> if (isset($res) && $spam_fail == 0) {
>> fputs($ns, $spamcheckerversion . "\r\n");
>> if (strpos($spamlevel, '*') !== false)
>> fputs($ns, $spamlevel . "\r\n");
>> if ($res === 1) {
>> fputs($ns, "X-Rslight-Original-Group: " .
>> $newsgroups . "\r\n");
>> $newsgroups = $CONFIG['spamgroup'];
>> }
>> }
>> }
>>
>> You might try echoing some values while testing:
>>
>> $CONFIG['spamassassin']
>> $CONFIG['spamgroup']
>> $res $spam_fail $newsgroups
>
> I inserted this code at the end of post.inc.php:
>
> echo '>>>>>>>>>';
> echo $CONFIG['spamassassin'];
> echo ' | ';
> echo $CONFIG['spamgroup'];
> echo ' | ';
> echo $res;
> echo ' | ';
> echo $spam_fail;
> echo ' | ';
> echo $newsgroups;
> echo ' | ';
> echo '<<<<<<<<<';
> echo ' | ';
>
> When running the cron here is the output from the code:

> The values after 'spamgroup' are empty.
>
> And I still get the error:
>
> .../rocksolid/newsportal.php on line 355

cron.php will have nothing to do with spam checking.

checking is done in post.inc.php when someone posts.

Try posting a message to some group that should trigger spamassassin and
see what happens.

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<589817ec6d0814a07003c7cbdefaef14$1@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=757&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#757

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 12:54:42 +0000
From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
<ulvqn3$o6rc$2@paganini.bofh.team> <ulvrl2$h5kb$1@i2pn2.org>
<ulvrvv$oh6b$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ulvt04$h5kb$2@i2pn2.org>
<ulvu0r$oh6b$2@paganini.bofh.team> <ulvufe$h5kb$4@i2pn2.org>
<ulvup8$h5kb$5@i2pn2.org>
<50fc054de8da655d930567ec7e4e37be@news.novabbs.org>
<um19va$qt72$1@paganini.bofh.team> <um1cb6$qt72$3@paganini.bofh.team>
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 12:54 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 06:52:07 -0600, SugarBug wrote:

> [...]
> 'rate_limit' => '20',
> 'auto_create' => '',
> 'verify_email' => '1',
> 'no_verify' => '',
> 'auto_return' => '',
> 'overboard_noshow' => 'rocksolid.shared.test', 'spamassassin' => '1',
> 'spamc' => 'spamc',
> 'spamgroup' => 'rocksolid.spam',
> 'php_exec' => 'php',
> 'tac' => '/var/lib/php/sessions',
> 'webserver_user' => 'sybershock.com',
> 'enable_nocem' => '',
> 'nocem_groups' => 'rocksolid.spam',
> 'expire_days' => '0',
> 'pathhost' => 'rocksolid.sybershock.com', 'article_database' => '',
> 'open_clients' => '',
> 'thissitekey' => '[redacted]'
> ];
> ?>
>
> I still get the same errors, especially line 355. Nothing shows up in
> syslog. Here is the cron output from the testing code in post.inc.php:

> Sending articles Send DonePHP Fatal error: Uncaught TypeError: fgets():
> Argument #1 ($stream) must be of type resource, bool given in
> .../rocksolid/newsportal.php:355 Stack trace: #0
> .../rocksolid/newsportal.php(355): fgets() #1
> .../scripts/spoolnews.php(352): testGroup() #2
> .../scripts/spoolnews.php(139): get_articles() #3 {main}
> thrown in
> .../rocksolid/newsportal.php on line 355
>
> Refreshed spoolnews Expired articles Sending articles Send DonePHP Fatal
> error: Uncaught TypeError: fputs(): supplied resource is not a valid
> stream resource in .../rocksolid/lib/thread.inc.php:237 Stack trace: #0
> .../rocksolid/lib/thread.inc.php(237): fputs() #1
> .../rocksolid/lib/thread.inc.php(304): thread_overview_read() #2
> .../scripts/spoolnews.php(146): thread_load_newsserver() #3 {main}
> thrown in .../rocksolid/lib/thread.inc.php on line 237
>
> Refreshed spoolnews Expired articles Sending articles Send Done
> Refreshed spoolnews Expired articles RSS Feeds updated Log files rotated
> Keys rotated Removed old files
>
> I wiped everything out and started over with the settings above:
>
> [run 1]

> Sending articles Send Done Refreshed spoolnews Expired articles Sending
> articles Send Done Refreshed spoolnews Expired articles RSS Feeds
> updated Rotated:
> .../spool//log/cron.log Rotated:
> .../spool//log/expire.log Rotated:
> .../spool//log/nntp.log Rotated:
> .../spool//log/spoolnews.log Log files rotated Keys rotated Removed old
> files
>
> [run 2]

> Sending articles Send Done Refreshed spoolnews Expired articles Sending
> articles Send Done Refreshed spoolnews Expired articles RSS Feeds
> updated Log files rotated Keys rotated Removed old files
>
> The errors went away. I wonder if something is getting corrupted in the
> spool?
>
> Still no incoming spam is flagged or removed. The blacklisted addresses
> have no effect and spamc is not triggered.

Incoming messages are NOT checked for spam. Only locally posted messages.
It took me a while to realize what you're trying to accomplish, but now I
think I see. I thought you were trying to filter (spam check) posts from
your own site (which should work).

Adding incoming checking shouldn't be hard to do, it's already in
post.inc.php. I'm willing to do that if you like.

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=758&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#758

From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 06:52:07 -0600
<ulvup8$h5kb$5@i2pn2.org>
<50fc054de8da655d930567ec7e4e37be@news.novabbs.org>
<um19va$qt72$1@paganini.bofh.team>
 by: SugarBug - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 12:52 UTC

<um1dck$r45c$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=759&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#759

From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 07:09:54 -0600
<ulvup8$h5kb$5@i2pn2.org>
<50fc054de8da655d930567ec7e4e37be@news.novabbs.org>
 by: SugarBug - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 13:09 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 00:12:35 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> Retro Guy wrote:

> >> Try taking it out of one. So it is in only one section. It
> >> shouldn't matter what section.
>
> > Also, the code for checking spam is in post.inc.php:
>
> > if ((isset($CONFIG['spamassassin']) && ($CONFIG['spamassassin']
> > == true))) {
> > $spam_result_array = check_spam($subject, $from,
> > $newsgroups, $ref, $body, $msgid);
> > $res = $spam_result_array['res'];
> > $spamresult = $spam_result_array['spamresult'];
> > $spamcheckerversion =
> > $spam_result_array['spamcheckerversion']; $spamlevel =
> > $spam_result_array['spamlevel']; $spam_fail =
> > $spam_result_array['spam_fail']; }
>
> > followed by:
>
> > if ((isset($CONFIG['spamassassin']) &&
> > ($CONFIG['spamassassin'] == true))) {
> > if (isset($res) && $spam_fail == 0) {
> > fputs($ns, $spamcheckerversion . "rn");
> > if (strpos($spamlevel, '*') !== false)
> > fputs($ns, $spamlevel . "rn");
> > if ($res === 1) {
> > fputs($ns, "X-Rslight-Original-Group: " .
> > $newsgroups . "rn");
> > $newsgroups = $CONFIG['spamgroup'];
> > }
> > }
> > }
>
> > You might try echoing some values while testing:
>
> > $CONFIG['spamassassin']
> > $CONFIG['spamgroup']
> > $res
> > $spam_fail
> > $newsgroups
>
> I would try adding a line inside the first 'if' that creates a file,
> so you can see if it ever gets there:
>
> touch('/path/to/some/file/i/have/privileges/to/write');
>
> If that fails, try changing $CONFIG['spamassassin'] from '1' to true
> in rslight.inc.php: 'spamassassin' => true,

I put the code inside the if block and it was never triggered. The only
place it triggers is at the end of the file.

For some reason it appears that spamc is never invoked at all.

Re: How does rslight work with spamassassin?

<um1dkl$r45c$2@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=760&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#760

From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 07:14:15 -0600
<ulvup8$h5kb$5@i2pn2.org>
<50fc054de8da655d930567ec7e4e37be@news.novabbs.org>
<um19va$qt72$1@paganini.bofh.team>
<um1cb6$qt72$3@paganini.bofh.team>
<589817ec6d0814a07003c7cbdefaef14$1@news.novabbs.org>
 by: SugarBug - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 13:14 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 12:54:42 +0000
Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.org> wrote:

> Incoming messages are NOT checked for spam. Only locally posted
> messages. It took me a while to realize what you're trying to
> accomplish, but now I think I see. I thought you were trying to
> filter (spam check) posts from your own site (which should work).

Well that explains it.

Yes, I was expecting it to filter all the incoming messages with
spamassassin client.

So does that mean there is no way for me to filter incoming spam
floods? How is that supposed to work?