If I have not seen so far it is because I stood in giant's footsteps.

computers / Rocksolid Nodes Help / Re: cross-posted group link misdirection in all group overboards

SubjectAuthor
* cross-posted group link misdirection in all group overboardsSugarBug
`* Re: cross-posted group link misdirection in all group overboardsRetro Guy
 `* Re: cross-posted group link misdirection in all group overboardsRetro Guy
  +* Re: cross-posted group link misdirection in all group overboardsRetro Guy
  |`* Re: cross-posted group link misdirection in all group overboardsRetro Guy
  | `* Re: cross-posted group link misdirection in all group overboardsRetro Guy
  |  `- Re: cross-posted group link misdirection in all group overboardsSugarBug
  `- Re: cross-posted group link misdirection in all group overboardsSugarBug

1
cross-posted group link misdirection in all group overboards

<uphgn5$1027j$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=929&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#929

From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: cross-posted group link misdirection in all group overboards
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 19:34:55 -0600
 by: SugarBug - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 01:34 UTC

Overboard renders links to non-existent groups in some cross-posted
articles. Instead of rendering a link to the group given in groups.txt,
the link points to one of the cross-posted groups that is not present
in groups.txt.

If you go to the local overboard of any group, then find an article
that was crossposted to other groups besides the local group, the link
points to nowhere. This is the case in all the 'view latest' overboards
that I tested, as well as the main overboard.

Demo at this link:

https://rocksolid.sybershock.com/random/overboard.php?

This is copypasta from the example post in the overboard:

----
2600 hacker mettings this Friday Feb 2 2024

alt.2600.madrid

----

Clicking the article link goes here:

https://rocksolid.sybershock.com//article-flat.php?id=50&group=alt.2600.madrid#50

This rslight node is not subscribed to that group. It is subscribed to
alt.2600 but not to alt.2600.madrid. Instead of the link going to the
subscribed group it points to the other.

The article does exist at:

https://rocksolid.sybershock.com/random/article-flat.php?id=71&group=alt.2600#71

but the overboard URL doesn't point there.

The same problem occurs in the overboard for alt.2600:

https://rocksolid.sybershock.com/random/overboard.php?thisgroup=alt.2600

If you click the article link it goes to a non-existent group here:

https://rocksolid.sybershock.com//article-flat.php?id=50&group=alt.2600.madrid#50

If you browse different overboards of the many test groups I added the
results are consistent.

I would like to be able to disable the overboard functions and pages
sitewide until you have time to look into this. Is there a quick way to
do that?

--
SugarBug | sybershock.com | alt.sources.crypto

Re: cross-posted group link misdirection in all group overboards

<d60ebbea761cfbc9bce7cb901ece3619$1@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=930&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#930

From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 08:50:53 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 15:50 UTC

On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 19:34:55 -0600, SugarBug wrote:

> Overboard renders links to non-existent groups in some cross-posted
> articles. Instead of rendering a link to the group given in groups.txt,
> the link points to one of the cross-posted groups that is not present
> in groups.txt.
>
> If you go to the local overboard of any group, then find an article
> that was crossposted to other groups besides the local group, the link
> points to nowhere. This is the case in all the 'view latest' overboards
> that I tested, as well as the main overboard.
>
> Demo at this link:
>
> https://rocksolid.sybershock.com/random/overboard.php?
>
> This is copypasta from the example post in the overboard:
>
> ----
> 2600 hacker mettings this Friday Feb 2 2024
>
> alt.2600.madrid

> ----
>
> Clicking the article link goes here:
>
> https://rocksolid.sybershock.com//article-flat.php?id=50&group=alt.2600.madrid#50
>
> This rslight node is not subscribed to that group. It is subscribed to
> alt.2600 but not to alt.2600.madrid. Instead of the link going to the
> subscribed group it points to the other.
>
> The article does exist at:
>
> https://rocksolid.sybershock.com/random/article-flat.php?id=71&group=alt.2600#71
>
> but the overboard URL doesn't point there.
>
> The same problem occurs in the overboard for alt.2600:
>
> https://rocksolid.sybershock.com/random/overboard.php?thisgroup=alt.2600
>
> If you click the article link it goes to a non-existent group here:
>
> https://rocksolid.sybershock.com//article-flat.php?id=50&group=alt.2600.madrid#50
>
> If you browse different overboards of the many test groups I added the
> results are consistent.
>
> I would like to be able to disable the overboard functions and pages
> sitewide until you have time to look into this. Is there a quick way to
> do that?

The only way to disable right now is to replace overboard.php with an html
file saying 'disabled' or something like that.

I'm looking into this. I see why it happens, but haven't worked out how to
fix it yet.

Re: cross-posted group link misdirection in all group overboards

<8f2f745b0839f1cbea087c2cdaead442@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=931&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#931

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 17:21:33 +0000
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 17:21 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 19:34:55 -0600, SugarBug wrote:

>> Overboard renders links to non-existent groups in some cross-posted
>> articles. Instead of rendering a link to the group given in groups.txt,
>> the link points to one of the cross-posted groups that is not present
>> in groups.txt.
>>
>> If you go to the local overboard of any group, then find an article
>> that was crossposted to other groups besides the local group, the link
>> points to nowhere. This is the case in all the 'view latest' overboards
>> that I tested, as well as the main overboard.
>>
>> Demo at this link:
>>
>> https://rocksolid.sybershock.com/random/overboard.php?
>>
>> This is copypasta from the example post in the overboard:
>>
>> ----
>> 2600 hacker mettings this Friday Feb 2 2024
>>
>> alt.2600.madrid

>> ----
>>
>> Clicking the article link goes here:
>>
>> https://rocksolid.sybershock.com//article-flat.php?id=50&group=alt.2600.madrid#50
>>
>> This rslight node is not subscribed to that group. It is subscribed to
>> alt.2600 but not to alt.2600.madrid. Instead of the link going to the
>> subscribed group it points to the other.
>>
>> The article does exist at:
>>
>> https://rocksolid.sybershock.com/random/article-flat.php?id=71&group=alt.2600#71
>>
>> but the overboard URL doesn't point there.
>>
>> The same problem occurs in the overboard for alt.2600:
>>
>> https://rocksolid.sybershock.com/random/overboard.php?thisgroup=alt.2600
>>
>> If you click the article link it goes to a non-existent group here:
>>
>> https://rocksolid.sybershock.com//article-flat.php?id=50&group=alt.2600.madrid#50
>>
>> If you browse different overboards of the many test groups I added the
>> results are consistent.
>>
>> I would like to be able to disable the overboard functions and pages
>> sitewide until you have time to look into this. Is there a quick way to
>> do that?

> The only way to disable right now is to replace overboard.php with an html
> file saying 'disabled' or something like that.

> I'm looking into this. I see why it happens, but haven't worked out how to
> fix it yet.

Try the latest commit now.

Files changed:
newsportal.php
overboard.php

--
Retro Guy

Re: cross-posted group link misdirection in all group overboards

<f4af04bc265967c3f6e2065344b4a445@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=932&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#932

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 17:50:02 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 17:50 UTC

You need to delete the overboard cache for the group to rebuild it to test.

In spooldir groupname-overboard.dat

--
Retro Guy

Re: cross-posted group link misdirection in all group overboards

<e48add4c6f4612bbd85b0f7540c5388b@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=933&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#933

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 19:46:38 +0000
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 19:46 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> You need to delete the overboard cache for the group to rebuild it to test.

> In spooldir groupname-overboard.dat

Don't forget the above :)

This fix has been applied to my sites, and I can already see it working, which is nice to see. I do not plan to delete all my overboard cache files, just let them slowly repair day by day (new entries would be correct entries).

Since a flaw (feature?) in spoolnews.php creates .db3 files for groups NOT in your list, but in the Newsgroups: header, overboard.php was finding these articles and trying to create links. Since there is no Section for them, the links are incorrect. This spoolnews flaw was already known, but not it's effect on overboard.

I'm hoping it's working properly now.

--
Retro Guy

Re: cross-posted group link misdirection in all group overboards

<d1e23885f09f5f4329057e4b658cb4b1@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=934&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#934

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 20:28:59 +0000
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 20:28 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Retro Guy wrote:

>> You need to delete the overboard cache for the group to rebuild it to test.

>> In spooldir groupname-overboard.dat

> Don't forget the above :)

> This fix has been applied to my sites, and I can already see it working, which is nice to see. I do not plan to delete all my overboard cache files, just let them slowly repair day by day (new entries would be correct entries).

> Since a flaw (feature?) in spoolnews.php creates .db3 files for groups NOT in your list, but in the Newsgroups: header, overboard.php was finding these articles and trying to create links. Since there is no Section for them, the links are incorrect. This spoolnews flaw was already known, but not it's effect on overboard.

> I'm hoping it's working properly now.

I did add a few commits after that, but they are really for the (thread) links in overboard. The initial bug reported should be fixed per the first commit I mention.

Again, don't forget to delete <spooldir>/<group.name>-overboard.dat

Btw, your bug report is excellent. It made it very simple to understand the problem, and where to look to fix it!

--
Retro Guy

Re: cross-posted group link misdirection in all group overboards

<upjouh$139mu$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=935&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#935

From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 16:07:47 -0600
 by: SugarBug - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 22:07 UTC

On Fri, 2 Feb 2024 17:21:33 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

<snip>
> > I'm looking into this. I see why it happens, but haven't worked out
> > how to fix it yet.
>
> Try the latest commit now.
>
> Files changed:
> newsportal.php
> overboard.php

Everything appears to work now. I'll test a bit more.

Re: cross-posted group link misdirection in all group overboards

<upjp2m$139mu$2@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=936&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#936

From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 16:09:58 -0600
 by: SugarBug - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 22:09 UTC

On Fri, 2 Feb 2024 20:28:59 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> Btw, your bug report is excellent. It made it very simple to
> understand the problem, and where to look to fix it!

Sometimes sussing out a bug report is harder than sussing out the bug!

--
1144@code.bug | sybershock.com | alt.sources.crypto