"All language designers are arrogant. Goes with the territory..." (By Larry Wall)

computers / Rocksolid Nodes Help / spaces in From: name

SubjectAuthor
* spaces in From: nameMarco Moock
`* Re: spaces in From: nameRetro Guy
 `* Re: spaces in From: nameRay Banana
  `* Re: spaces in From: nameRetro Guy
   `* Re: spaces in From: nameTest Guy
    `* Re: spaces in From: nameRetro Guy
     `* Re: spaces in From: nameRetro Guy
      `- Re: spaces in From: nameRetro Guy

1
spaces in From: name

<uqv1uf$1p4ln$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=991&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#991

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: spaces in From: name
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 09:02:23 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 08:02 UTC

Hello!

Is it possible to let users choose another name than the login name for
from to enable using spaces, like "Jon Doe"?

--
kind regards
Marco

Spam und Werbung bitte an ichwillgesperrtwerden@nirvana.admins.ws

Re: spaces in From: name

<88bef43c0bcb8f3b98dd2452d5e8ea21$1@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=992&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#992

From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Subject: Re: spaces in From: name
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 05:09:53 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:09 UTC

On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 09:02:23 +0100, Marco Moock wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Is it possible to let users choose another name than the login name for
> from to enable using spaces, like "Jon Doe"?

I've been considering working on that. I can't remember exactly why I
didn't allow spaces in registation, but I assume I had some reason :)

For the short term, you can do so manually, as I do for my own username:

I register 'retroguy', then rename the two files:
/etc/rslight/users/retroguy
/etc/rslight/userconfig/retroguy

each to 'retro guy'. That works fine.

I'll spend some time looking into this over the next few days.

Re: spaces in From: name

<8m34toljx9.fsf@raybanana.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=993&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#993

From: rayban@raybanana.net (Ray Banana)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 13:26:10 +0100
 by: Ray Banana - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:26 UTC

Thus spake Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.org>

> For the short term, you can do so manually, as I do for my own username:
> I register 'retroguy', then rename the two files:
> /etc/rslight/users/retroguy
> /etc/rslight/userconfig/retroguy
> each to 'retro guy'. That works fine.
> I'll spend some time looking into this over the next few days.

May I suggest that you add a separate attribute for the From: header in
the user config, so users may have a configurable email address different from their
registration mail address? This would also make sure you do not publish
personal user information that the users did not publish by themselves?

--
Пу́тін — хуйло́
https://www.eternal-september.org

Re: spaces in From: name

<97830d0b79f3adcfef92bcc54ebd21c2$1@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=994&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#994

From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 05:57:43 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:57 UTC

On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 13:26:10 +0100, Ray Banana wrote:

> Thus spake Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.org>
>

>> For the short term, you can do so manually, as I do for my own username:
>> I register 'retroguy', then rename the two files:
>> /etc/rslight/users/retroguy
>> /etc/rslight/userconfig/retroguy
>> each to 'retro guy'. That works fine.
>> I'll spend some time looking into this over the next few days.
>
> May I suggest that you add a separate attribute for the From: header in
> the user config, so users may have a configurable email address different from their
> registration mail address? This would also make sure you do not publish
> personal user information that the users did not publish by themselves?

Good idea. I should be able to add this to the Configuration section after
registration. Allow to select name and one email address of your own
choosing. I will need to make sure that the headers allowing filtering use
real info to remain consistent.

I'll be working on this stuff later this week. Thank you both for the
suggestions.

Re: spaces in From: name

<b19def1defede600340b521c5b2a1d8e@example.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=995&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#995

From: testguy@example.com (Test Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 17:42:06 +0000
 by: Test Guy - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 17:42 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 13:26:10 +0100, Ray Banana wrote:

>> Thus spake Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.org>
>>

>>> For the short term, you can do so manually, as I do for my own username:
>>> I register 'retroguy', then rename the two files:
>>> /etc/rslight/users/retroguy
>>> /etc/rslight/userconfig/retroguy
>>> each to 'retro guy'. That works fine.
>>> I'll spend some time looking into this over the next few days.
>>
>> May I suggest that you add a separate attribute for the From: header in
>> the user config, so users may have a configurable email address different from their
>> registration mail address? This would also make sure you do not publish
>> personal user information that the users did not publish by themselves?

> Good idea. I should be able to add this to the Configuration section after
> registration. Allow to select name and one email address of your own
> choosing. I will need to make sure that the headers allowing filtering use
> real info to remain consistent.

> I'll be working on this stuff later this week. Thank you both for the
> suggestions.

I believe I have this working now but will continue testing.

Once you create an account, you can go into Configuration settings and create a name / email combo to use in posts. If you do not do that, it will just use your login info.

I may need to modify the wording when posting so it's not confusing. Right now, it still shows your login name above the post, but probably should show the display name. I'll keep testing and try to flush out bugs, then clean it up.

Hopefully I'll have it finished soon.

-Retro Guy

--
Unconfigured rslight site

Re: spaces in From: name

<335b0be75c8ebf8be197d34c917978d7@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=996&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#996

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 18:42:12 +0000
From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 18:42 UTC

Test Guy wrote:

> Retro Guy wrote:

>> On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 13:26:10 +0100, Ray Banana wrote:

>>> Thus spake Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.org>

>>> May I suggest that you add a separate attribute for the From: header in
>>> the user config, so users may have a configurable email address different from their
>>> registration mail address? This would also make sure you do not publish
>>> personal user information that the users did not publish by themselves?

>> Good idea. I should be able to add this to the Configuration section after
>> registration. Allow to select name and one email address of your own
>> choosing. I will need to make sure that the headers allowing filtering use
>> real info to remain consistent.

>> I'll be working on this stuff later this week. Thank you both for the
>> suggestions.

> I believe I have this working now but will continue testing.

> Once you create an account, you can go into Configuration settings and create a name / email combo to use in posts. If you do not do that, it will just use your login info.

> I may need to modify the wording when posting so it's not confusing. Right now, it still shows your login name above the post, but probably should show the display name. I'll keep testing and try to flush out bugs, then clean it up.

> Hopefully I'll have it finished soon.

I have created a new commit for these changes, and the feature is now live on my sites.

I'll be watching and testing for bugs still, and minor improvements (things to avoid user confusion).

Note: This post is using the feature. The email address in the post is not the same as the one used to register on this site.

--
Retro Guy

Re: spaces in From: name

<bfb111d0c578782be8e5e129fd1b81fb@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=997&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#997

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 23:43:13 +0000
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 23:43 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Test Guy wrote:

>> Retro Guy wrote:

>>> Good idea. I should be able to add this to the Configuration section after
>>> registration. Allow to select name and one email address of your own
>>> choosing. I will need to make sure that the headers allowing filtering use
>>> real info to remain consistent.

>>> I'll be working on this stuff later this week. Thank you both for the
>>> suggestions.

>> I believe I have this working now but will continue testing.

>> Once you create an account, you can go into Configuration settings and create a name / email combo to use in posts. If you do not do that, it will just use your login info.

>> I may need to modify the wording when posting so it's not confusing. Right now, it still shows your login name above the post, but probably should show the display name. I'll keep testing and try to flush out bugs, then clean it up.

>> Hopefully I'll have it finished soon.

> I have created a new commit for these changes, and the feature is now live on my sites.

> I'll be watching and testing for bugs still, and minor improvements (things to avoid user confusion).

> Note: This post is using the feature. The email address in the post is not the same as the one used to register on this site.

This is working ok. I have a couple of improvements to make, but it should work fine atm.

I did add a new commit to allow a config option (in overrides.inc.php) to disable the feature (it is enabled by default, you must actively choose to disable), as I'm not sure I want it on my sites and have disabled it on them. But new features are great, and being able to decided site by site whether to use them is even greater :)

To disable, add this to overrides.inc.php:
// Disable name/email display change option in Configuration
'disable_change_name' => true,

--
Retro Guy

Re: spaces in From: name

<b7a182f8b592977aca6b3a45e097ac99@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=998&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#998

From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 15:04:42 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 15:04 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Retro Guy wrote:

>> Test Guy wrote:

>>> I believe I have this working now but will continue testing.

>>> Once you create an account, you can go into Configuration settings and create a name / email combo to use in posts. If you do not do that, it will just use your login info.

>>> I may need to modify the wording when posting so it's not confusing. Right now, it still shows your login name above the post, but probably should show the display name. I'll keep testing and try to flush out bugs, then clean it up.

>>> Hopefully I'll have it finished soon.

>> I have created a new commit for these changes, and the feature is now live on my sites.

>> I'll be watching and testing for bugs still, and minor improvements (things to avoid user confusion).

>> Note: This post is using the feature. The email address in the post is not the same as the one used to register on this site.

> This is working ok. I have a couple of improvements to make, but it should work fine atm.

> I did add a new commit to allow a config option (in overrides.inc.php) to disable the feature (it is enabled by default, you must actively choose to disable), as I'm not sure I want it on my sites and have disabled it on them. But new features are great, and being able to decided site by site whether to use them is even greater :)

> To disable, add this to overrides.inc.php:
> // Disable name/email display change option in Configuration
> 'disable_change_name' => true,

I now have a new commit that checks a custom email address against existing verified email addresses in user database, and does not allow use if there is a match.

I have re-enabled this feature on www.novabbs.com

This post has a custom email address of retroguy@novabbs.com, while my registered email is retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com

The use of the custom 'From:' info is displayed above the post I am composing. The 'Username/Password' displayed are for registered username (for auth)

--
Retro Guy