The one sure way to make a lazy man look respectable is to put a fishing rod in his hand.

sport / rec.sport.cricket / Re: Neville Cardus on Woolley

SubjectAuthor
* Neville Cardus on WoolleyRobert Henderson
`- Neville Cardus on WoolleyHamish Laws

1
Re: Neville Cardus on Woolley

<90b87b82-afe3-49c8-a0ac-f3f4e1dcf163n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=1129&group=rec.sport.cricket#1129

Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 10:35:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Neville Cardus on Woolley
From: anywhere156@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Mon, 29 May 2023 17:35 UTC

On Monday, January 10, 1994 at 9:58:27 AM UTC, Uday Rajan wrote:
> [...]
> the bowling!---you simply cannot play a long-lengthed hit
> against that kind of spin.'`The pitch is getting drier; the
> ball's turning.' We have to attend to these esoteric points
> before we can get to the quality of the latest innings by
> Bloggs of Blankshire---one hundred and six in four hours and
> a quarter, without a chance, without a risk. No child,
> knowing nothing of cricket but bat and ball, could understand the
> game as Bloggs plays it. But innocence itself will open eyes of
> understanding when they look upon an innings by Woolley. Here,
> indeed, is true, unspoiled cricket; bat and ball, indeed, and
> little else, save the touch of an artist---a cricketer who is as
> much a weaverof beauty's spells as any Kreisler who ever lived.
> The score-board does not get anywhere near the secret of
> Woolley. It can tell us only about Bloggs; for him runs and
> results are the one justification. To add up the runs made by
> Woolley---why, it is as though you were to add up the crochets
> and quavers written by Mozart. An innings by Woolley begins from
> the raw material of cricket, and goes far beyond. We remember it
> flong after we have forgotten the competitive occasion which
> prompted the making of it; it remains in the mind; an evocative
> memory which stirs in us a sense of a bygone day's poise and
> fragrance, of a mood and a delectable shape seen quickly, but for
> good and all. Some of Woolley's innings stay with us until they
> become like poetry which can be told over again and again; we see
> the shapeliness of his cricket with our minds and we feel its
> beauty with our hearts. I can think of cricket by Woolley which
> has inexplicably found me murmuring to myself (that I might get
> the best out of it)
> Lovely are the curves of the white owl sweeping
> Wavy in the dusk lit by one large star.
> I admit, O reader, that an innings by Woolley has nothing to
> do with owls and dusk and starlight. I am trying to describe an
> experience of the fancy; I am talking of cadences, of dying falls
> common to all the beauty of the world. My argument, in a word, is
> concerned not with Wolley the Kent cricketer, but that essence of
> his batsmanship which will live on, after his cricket is done
> with, after his runs and averages have been totted up and found
> to be much the same as those of many other players. He has made
> music for cricket in all places---muted music, for never is
> Woolley's cricket assertive, strident. He is the soul of
> courtesy, of porportion, as he drives his boundaries. He will hit
> a bowler for four fours in an over and not give him reason to
> feel bruised or affronted. It is all done so quietly, so
> modestly. The game's hard combativenss is put out of sight, out
> of all one's senses, when Woolley bats. Even the bowlers may
> well be deceived, and think that they are not Woolley's
> adversaries at all, but, at his own sweet pleasure, his
> fellows-in-bliss, glad followers of him along an enchanted way.

No one comes close to Wooley's record as an allrounder., viz:

Years Team
1906–1938 Kent
Career statistics
Competition Test First-class
Matches 64 978[a]
Runs scored 3,283 58,959
Batting average 36.07 40.77
100s/50s 5/23 145/295
Top score 154 305*
Balls bowled 6,495 94,949[b]
Wickets 83 2,066
Bowling average 33.91 19.87
5 wickets in innings 4 132
10 wickets in match 1 28
Best bowling 7/76 8/22
Catches/stumpings 64/ 1,0 18
Source: CricInfo, 28 December 2021

RH

Re: Neville Cardus on Woolley

<12612800-1dc0-43a4-b075-626fc59585c4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=1131&group=rec.sport.cricket#1131

Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 20:21:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: hamish.laws@gmail.com (Hamish Laws)
 by: Hamish Laws - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 03:21 UTC

On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 3:35:51 AM UTC+10, Robert Henderson wrote:
> [...]
> > his batsmanship which will live on, after his cricket is done
> > with, after his runs and averages have been totted up and found
> > to be much the same as those of many other players. He has made
> > music for cricket in all places---muted music, for never is
> > Woolley's cricket assertive, strident. He is the soul of
> > courtesy, of porportion, as he drives his boundaries. He will hit
> > a bowler for four fours in an over and not give him reason to
> > feel bruised or affronted. It is all done so quietly, so
> > modestly. The game's hard combativenss is put out of sight, out
> > of all one's senses, when Woolley bats. Even the bowlers may
> > well be deceived, and think that they are not Woolley's
> > adversaries at all, but, at his own sweet pleasure, his
> > fellows-in-bliss, glad followers of him along an enchanted way.
> No one comes close to Wooley's record as an allrounder., viz:

Aggregate records just mean that he's played a hell of a lot of matches
He was a great first class cricketer but only a moderate performer at test level

Click here to read the complete article