From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket,aus.sport.cricket
Subject: Glenn_McGrath_urges_Australia_to_copy_England’s_
‘Bazball’_style_to_win_the_Ashes
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 06:10:01 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 13:10 UTC

McGrath also suggested England could have won the Old Trafford Test if
they would have declared a bit early on Day 3.

“I have to be honest, England dominated this match. It was their
‘Bazball’ style in its finest form but Ben Stokes’ decision not to
declare earlier on day three cost them victory.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/glenn-mcgrath-urges-australia-to-copy-englands-bazball-style-to-win-the-ashes-8857110/

Glenn McGrath urges Australia to copy England’s ‘Bazball’ style to win
the Ashes

McGrath says he would love to see Australia taking on England and lost
than going down with a whimper.

Legendary Australia cricketer Glenn McGrath want Pat Cummins-led team to
take a leaf out of England’s “Bazball” style and should got to Oval with
all guns blazing even if they end up losing the match.

Australia retained the Ashes after rain prevented any play on the final
day of the fourth test against England at Old Trafford.

“I would rather see Australia lose the last Test by backing themselves,
really taking it to England, rather than going down with a whimper,”
McGrath told BBC Sports.

“Winning in England for the first time since 2001, beating this
energised England team under Stokes and coach Brendon McCullum, should
be massive motivation.

“To return to Australia with a 3-1 victory would be huge response to
Bazball – an incredible achievement.”

McGrath also suggested England could have won the Old Trafford Test if
they would have declared a bit early on Day 3.

“I have to be honest, England dominated this match. It was their
‘Bazball’ style in its finest form but Ben Stokes’ decision not to
declare earlier on day three cost them victory.

“England were 506-8, leading by 189, but Stokes decided to bat long into
the afternoon session.

“Jonny Bairstow’s 99 not out may have been brilliant for team morale but
had Stokes pulled out England would have had another 10 overs when the
ball was reverse swinging late on the third day.”

Taking a sly dig on England skipper Ben Stokes, McGrath said that this
team can became one of the best but they need to walk the talk.

Re: Glenn McGrath urges Australia to copy England?s ?Bazball? style to win the Ashes

<LUcSoKByAsvkFwS0@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=1165&group=rec.sport.cricket#1165

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket,aus.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Glenn McGrath urges Australia to copy England???s ???Bazball??? style to win the Ashes
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 19:17:22 +0100
 by: John Hall - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 18:17 UTC

In message <u9lt77$llrg$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
<FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes
<snip>
>McGrath also suggested England could have won the Old Trafford Test if
>they would have declared a bit early on Day 3.
>
>“I have to be honest, England dominated this match. It was their
>‘Bazball’ style in its finest form but Ben Stokes’ decision not
>to declare earlier on day three cost them victory.
<snip>

Batting on after lunch on day 3 I believe only used up another 14 overs,
as well as adding enough runs to prevent Australia having avoided the
innings defeat by the end of play on day 4. So it seems unlikely that
it would have made a difference to the result.

What /might/ have made a difference is if both sides' over rates hadn't
been so poor. I read that by the end of day 3 29 overs had been lost.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed