Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 07:13:16 -0700 (PDT)
<f09481c9-bb33-4a2c-8f34-b885271118ddn@googlegroups.com> <016b9954-37d8-4c3c-980b-79f476386d89n@googlegroups.com>
<4735eef5-da3a-4edd-bb07-a2bedc30057an@googlegroups.com> <29cd9d67-51cd-419e-9a68-4eb05d6b99c9n@googlegroups.com>
<1ab25ff3-7076-43c2-9a4d-bc9314715eacn@googlegroups.com> <0a3d2d63-e774-4e89-bebc-337c86bffd7fn@googlegroups.com>
<a24f26f0-97ac-436f-8e22-af136c557f08n@googlegroups.com> <74d57785-010c-4e5c-9d16-9369919057d1n@googlegroups.com>
<5fe18efb-17e2-4b7d-afae-87281be94cbdn@googlegroups.com> <6737533c-8def-4d85-835c-5c5a9a63cf68n@googlegroups.com>
<d834ac05-2c86-4f21-9653-2081d43a2bd0n@googlegroups.com> <30dd6518-1469-47c0-a553-599ea0cca8bcn@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Unused Subs in World Cup finals matches
From: steve.flanagan@gmail.com (Steve Flanagan)
 by: Steve Flanagan - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 14:13 UTC

Good afternoon everyone

Apologies for not updating this thread for a while, but I have had a number of other things going on which meant I had to put this little 'project' on hold for a bit.

Anyway, for some reason, FIFA decided that they would revert back to putting all non-starting squad players down as substitutes for the latest World Cup (2022 Qatar), however, I have managed to confirm that the following players were not named as substitutes in the matches mentioned.

I have also noted if players were missing due to suspensions. I haven't yet been able to confirm the reason for all of the 'non-suspension' players that were not named as a substitute but have made notes where possible.

Group A
Ecuador: 20-Sebas Mendez (v Senegal, suspended for 2 yellow cards)
Netherlands: none
Qatar: 15-Bassam Al-Rawi (v Senegal & Netherlands)
Senegal: 5-Idrissa Gueye (v England, suspended for 2 yellow cards); 8-Cheikhou Kouyate (v Qatar, Ecuador & England)

Group B
England: 10-Raheem Sterling (v Senegal, had returned to England due to burglary at home); 21-Ben White (v Wales, Senegal & France, left the squad for personal reasons as announced by the English FA); 25-James Maddison (v Iran & United States, recovering from injury sustained in EPL prior to World Cup)
Iran: 1-Alireza Beiranvand (v Wales, was substituted in previous game v England under the concussion protocol); 7-Alireza Jahanbakhsh (v United States, suspended for 2 yellow cards). Iran named a squad of only 25 players instead of the 26 allowed.
United States: 24-Josh Sargent (v Netherlands)
Wales: 1-Wayne Hennessey (v England, suspended for red card in previous match v Iran) - also see below re: concussion substitutions

Group C
Argentina: 4-Gonzalo Montiel (v Croatia, suspended for 2 yellow cards); 8-Marcos Acuna (v Croatia, suspended for 2 yellow cards); 17-Papu Gomez (v Croatia)
Mexico: none
Poland: none
Saudi Arabia: 6-Mohammed Al-Breik (v Mexico); 7-Salman Al-Faraj (v Poland & Mexico); 8-Abdulellah Al-Malki (v Mexico, suspended for 2 yellow cards); 13-Yasser Al-Shahrani (v Poland & Mexico, was substituted in game v Argentina under the concussion protocol); 26-Riyadh Sharahili (v Argentina & Poland)

Group D
Australia: 3-Nathaniel Atkinson (v Tunisia)
Denmark: 8-Thomas Delaney (v France & Australia)
France: 14-Adrien Rabot (v Morocco); 21-Lucas Hernandez (all except v Australia, torn anterior cruciate ligament injury in 13th minute) - also 19-Karim Benzema was named in the squad but did not appear due to injury which was announced on 20 November.
Tunisia: none

Group E
Costa Rica: 15-Francisco Calvo (v Germany, suspended for 2 yellow cards)
Germany: none
Japan: 4-Ko Itakura (v Croatia, suspended for 2 yellow cards); 11-Takefusa Kubo (v Croatia)
Spain: none

Group F
Belgium: 9-Romelu Lukaku (v Canada)
Canada: 7-Stephen Eustaquio (v Morocco)
Croatia: 2-Josip Stanisic (v Japan); 19-Borna Sosa (v Japan); 21-Domagoj Vida (v Canada)
Morocco: 1-Yassine Bounou (v Belgium); 3-Noussair Mazraoui (v Portugal & Croatia); 5-Nayef Aguerd (v Portugal & France); 21-Walid Cheddira (v France, suspended for red card v Portugal)

Group G
Brazil: 2-Danilo (v Switzerland & Cameroon); 6-Alex Sandro (v Cameroon & South Korea); 10-Neymar (v Switzerland & Cameroon); 16-Alex Telles (v South Korea & Croatia); 18-Gabriel Jesus (v South Korea & Croatia)
Cameroon: 3-Nicolas Nkoulou (v Brazil); 18-Martin Hongla (v Brazil); 21-Jean-Charles Castelletto (v Brazil); 23-Andre Onana (v Serbia & Brazil - suspended from the squad for disciplinary reasons on 28 November)
Serbia: none
Switzerland: 1-Yann Sommer (v Serbia); 3-Silvan Widmer (v Portugal); 4-Nico Elvedi (v Serbia); 11-Renato Steffen (v Cameroon); 19-Noah Okafor (v Brazil); 24-Philipp Kohn (v Serbia)

Group H
Ghana: none
Portugal: 1-Rui Patricio (v Morocco); 12-Jose Sa (v Morocco); 13-Danilo Pereira (all except v Ghana); 19-Nuno Mendes (all except v Uruguay); 25-Otavio (v Uruguay & South Korea)
South Korea: none
Uruguay: 4-Ronald Araujo (all matches)

I've also noted two other players who I have managed to confirm were substituted under the concussion protocol in their final match of the tournament:
Wales: 3-Neco Williams (concussion substitution v England)
France: 14-Adrien Rabot (concussion substitution v Argentina in the Final)

I'm not aware of any other concussion substitutions apart from possibly Harry Maguire for England v Iran.

Regards

Steve Flanagan