If you want to see card tricks, you have to expect to take cards. -- Harry Blackstone

sport / rec.sport.soccer / (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1

SubjectAuthor
* (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1Lléo
+* (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1Real Mardin
|`* (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1Lléo
| `- (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1Real Mardin
+* (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1Real Mardin
|`- (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1Lléo
`* (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1Mark
 `- (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1Mark

1
(R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1

<88f4540e-eff4-4e18-8702-510e6f2eac72n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=15557&group=rec.sport.soccer#15557

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 20:56:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1
From: llb.moura@gmail.com (Lléo)
 by: Lléo - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 03:56 UTC

And another World Cup cycle begins. Conmebol opens this time around with an
almost complete sweep by the hosts. Messi and Neymar set personal records,
as their teams dominate and put out a good show for their crowds.

Paraguay 0-0 Peru

If a shot in the post counted as a goal, this one would have ended a 5-1
blowout to the hosts. Alas, it doesn't, so it was honours even at Estadio
Antonio Aranda, in Ciudad del Este. Paraguay made most of the play and their
domination only became more complete when Advíncula was sent off at the end
of the first half. The posts, added by an inspired match by goalkeeper Pedro
Gallese, saved the visitors a valuable away point.

Colombia 1-0 Venezuela

Valderrama once said that, against Colombia, Venezuela always put out that
extra effort, and it showed in this game's first half, at Estadio Metropolitano
de Barranquilla. The vinotinto had their chances, but finished them poorly.
In the second half, it took 19 seconds for Borré to score Colombia's winner.
Venezuela deflated after that and it was Colombia's game from that moment on,
but 1-0 it stayed.

Argentina 1-0 Ecuador

A dominant victory by Argentina, in front of a full house at Estadio Monumental
de Nuñez, in Buenos Aires. They created several chances and could have won
by more, but Ecuador held on bravely. Lionel Messi had a very good game and
eventually was the one that unlocked the Ecuadoran blockade, with a very neat
free kick at the 77th minute, which was his 29th WCQ goal, thus matching Luis
Suárez's record. Ecuador barely created a couple of chances, but did play hard
and made itself a tough nut to crack. But, at the same time, they were lucky to
have only conceded once.

I didn't know it, but Ecuador has been docked 3 points for irregularly lining
up Byron Castillo in the last WCQ cycle. So, they remain at -3 and in the last
position.

Uruguay 3-1 Chile

A mostly one-sided game at Estadio Centenario, in Montevideo, where the hosts
created almost all of the scoring chances and made most of the play. Goals by
de la Cruz (37'), Valverde (45') and de la Cruz again (70') put the match
beyond Chile's retrieval. Vidal scored one back for Chile at the 73', but it
was only to be a consolation goal. A good start for Bielsa in charge of La Celeste.

Brasil 5-1 Bolivia

A predictably easy victory for Brasil at Estadio Mangueirão, in Belém. The first
half was a bit chippy and Bolivian goalkeeper Guillermo Viscarra put out a great
performance, saving a penalty from Neymar and making several good saves. Bolivia
limited damages and held Brasil to 1-0, goal by Rodrygo in the 23'.

But in the second half, the floodgates opened. Raphinha (46'), Rodrygo again (52')
and Neymar (60' and 92') finished off La Verde, whose honour goal was scored by
Abrego (77').

Neymar was tied with Pelé as Brasil's record goalscorer, with 77 goals.. His goals
today meant Pelé's record is broken and is now Neymar's. He celebrated imitating
Pelé's classical celebration of jumping and punching the air.

Table [points, games, w-d-l, gs-gc, gd]

1 Brasil 3 1 1 0 0 5-1 4+
2 Uruguay 3 1 1 0 0 3-1 2+
3 Argentina 3 1 1 0 0 1-0 1+
4 Colombia 3 1 1 0 0 1-0 1+
5 Paraguay 1 1 0 1 0 0-0 0
6 Peru 1 1 0 1 0 0-0 0
-----------------------------
7 Venezuela 0 1 0 0 1 0-1 1-
-----------------------------
8 Chile 0 1 0 0 1 1-3 2-
9 Bolivia 0 1 0 0 1 1-5 4-
10 Ecuador -3 1 0 0 1 0-1 1-

Next round to be played on March 29th. In brackets below, the results of these
games in the WCQ cycles of 2018/2014/2010/2006/2002/1998 (all the round robin
ones so far):

Bolivia - Argentina (1-2, 2-0, 1-1, 6-1, 1-2, 3-3, 2-1)

In principle a tough fixture at Estadio Hernando Siles, in the altitude of La
Paz. But the gulf between the two teams is so vast that it gets hard to see
Argentina dropping points here. I'll go for BOL 1-2 ARG (in soph-terms: Bolivia
0.20, draw 0.35, Argentina 0.45).

Ecuador - Uruguay (4-2, 2-1, 1-0, 1-2, 0-0, 1-1, 4-0)

Another one with the altitude factor to be accounted for, at Estadio Casa Blanca,
in Quito. Uruguay looked good in the opener and Ecuador kept it respectable as
visitors against the incumbent world champions. Should be a close one. I'll call
a 1-1 draw (in soph-terms: Ecuador 0.35, draw 0.35, Uruguay 0.30)

Venezuela - Paraguay (0-1, 0-1, 1-1, 1-2, 0-1, 3-1, 0-2)

Not sure what to expect from this one, to be played at Estadio Monumental de
Maturín. I don't rate Venezuela much, so I think Paraguay might steal a win here,
but they don't inspire confidence enough for a bold prediction, do they? My
prediction will bea modest VEN 0-1 PAR (in soph-terms: Venezuela 0.25, draw 0.35,
Paraguay 0.40).

Chile - Colombia (2-2, 1-1, 1-3, 4-0, 0-0, 0-1, 4-1)

Colombia seems to be the better side, but Chile shouldn't be a pushover and
the host factor, at Estadio Monumental de Santiago, might level the scales.
I think this will be up for grabs, with a very slight edge for the visitors..
I'll go for a draw, 1-1 (in soph-terms: Chile 0.30, draw 0.35, Colombia 0.35)

Peru - Brasil (2-4, 0-2, n/a, 1-1, 1-1, 0-1, n/a)

Brasil visits Estadio Nacional de Lima as the favorite against the hosts. Peru
might put up a fight but, barring an upset, Brasil should win. I'll predict
PER 0-2 BRA (in soph-terms: Peru 0.20, draw 0.20, Brasil 0.60).

Best regards,

Lléo

Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1

<95e7043b-aa9e-4f7c-ad26-41a0f5dcdda8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=15559&group=rec.sport.soccer#15559

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 03:09:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1
From: real_mardin@yahoo.co.uk (Real Mardin)
 by: Real Mardin - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 10:09 UTC

On Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 4:56:21 AM UTC+1, Lléo wrote:
> And another World Cup cycle begins. Conmebol opens this time around with an
> almost complete sweep by the hosts. Messi and Neymar set personal records,
> as their teams dominate and put out a good show for their crowds.
>
> Paraguay 0-0 Peru
>
> If a shot in the post counted as a goal, this one would have ended a 5-1
> blowout to the hosts. Alas, it doesn't, so it was honours even at Estadio
> Antonio Aranda, in Ciudad del Este. Paraguay made most of the play and their
> domination only became more complete when Advíncula was sent off at the end
> of the first half. The posts, added by an inspired match by goalkeeper Pedro
> Gallese, saved the visitors a valuable away point.
>
> Colombia 1-0 Venezuela
>
> Valderrama once said that, against Colombia, Venezuela always put out that
> extra effort, and it showed in this game's first half, at Estadio Metropolitano
> de Barranquilla. The vinotinto had their chances, but finished them poorly.
> In the second half, it took 19 seconds for Borré to score Colombia's winner.
> Venezuela deflated after that and it was Colombia's game from that moment on,
> but 1-0 it stayed.
>
> Argentina 1-0 Ecuador
>
> A dominant victory by Argentina, in front of a full house at Estadio Monumental
> de Nuñez, in Buenos Aires. They created several chances and could have won
> by more, but Ecuador held on bravely. Lionel Messi had a very good game and
> eventually was the one that unlocked the Ecuadoran blockade, with a very neat
> free kick at the 77th minute, which was his 29th WCQ goal, thus matching Luis
> Suárez's record. Ecuador barely created a couple of chances, but did play hard
> and made itself a tough nut to crack. But, at the same time, they were lucky to
> have only conceded once.
>
> I didn't know it, but Ecuador has been docked 3 points for irregularly lining
> up Byron Castillo in the last WCQ cycle. So, they remain at -3 and in the last
> position.
>
> Uruguay 3-1 Chile
>
> A mostly one-sided game at Estadio Centenario, in Montevideo, where the hosts
> created almost all of the scoring chances and made most of the play. Goals by
> de la Cruz (37'), Valverde (45') and de la Cruz again (70') put the match
> beyond Chile's retrieval. Vidal scored one back for Chile at the 73', but it
> was only to be a consolation goal. A good start for Bielsa in charge of La Celeste.
>
> Brasil 5-1 Bolivia
>
> A predictably easy victory for Brasil at Estadio Mangueirão, in Belém. The first
> half was a bit chippy and Bolivian goalkeeper Guillermo Viscarra put out a great
> performance, saving a penalty from Neymar and making several good saves. Bolivia
> limited damages and held Brasil to 1-0, goal by Rodrygo in the 23'.
>
> But in the second half, the floodgates opened. Raphinha (46'), Rodrygo again (52')
> and Neymar (60' and 92') finished off La Verde, whose honour goal

Ahh - so there is football culture other than Turkey that uses the term "honour goal" as opposed to "consolation goal".

>was scored by
> Abrego (77').
>
> Neymar was tied with Pelé as Brasil's record goalscorer, with 77 goals. His goals
> today meant Pelé's record is broken and is now Neymar's. He celebrated imitating
> Pelé's classical celebration of jumping and punching the air.
>

> Table [points, games, w-d-l, gs-gc, gd]
>
> 1 Brasil 3 1 1 0 0 5-1 4+
> 2 Uruguay 3 1 1 0 0 3-1 2+
> 3 Argentina 3 1 1 0 0 1-0 1+
> 4 Colombia 3 1 1 0 0 1-0 1+
> 5 Paraguay 1 1 0 1 0 0-0 0
> 6 Peru 1 1 0 1 0 0-0 0
> -----------------------------
> 7 Venezuela 0 1 0 0 1 0-1 1-
> -----------------------------
> 8 Chile 0 1 0 0 1 1-3 2-
> 9 Bolivia 0 1 0 0 1 1-5 4-
> 10 Ecuador -3 1 0 0 1 0-1 1-
>

> Next round to be played on March 29th. In brackets below, the results of these
> games in the WCQ cycles of 2018/2014/2010/2006/2002/1998 (all the round robin
> ones so far):
>
> Bolivia - Argentina (1-2, 2-0, 1-1, 6-1, 1-2, 3-3, 2-1)
>
> In principle a tough fixture at Estadio Hernando Siles, in the altitude of La
> Paz. But the gulf between the two teams is so vast that it gets hard to see
> Argentina dropping points here. I'll go for BOL 1-2 ARG (in soph-terms: Bolivia
> 0.20, draw 0.35, Argentina 0.45).
>
> Ecuador - Uruguay (4-2, 2-1, 1-0, 1-2, 0-0, 1-1, 4-0)
>
> Another one with the altitude factor to be accounted for, at Estadio Casa Blanca,
> in Quito. Uruguay looked good in the opener and Ecuador kept it respectable as
> visitors against the incumbent world champions. Should be a close one. I'll call
> a 1-1 draw (in soph-terms: Ecuador 0.35, draw 0.35, Uruguay 0.30)
>
> Venezuela - Paraguay (0-1, 0-1, 1-1, 1-2, 0-1, 3-1, 0-2)
>
> Not sure what to expect from this one, to be played at Estadio Monumental de
> Maturín. I don't rate Venezuela much, so I think Paraguay might steal a win here,
> but they don't inspire confidence enough for a bold prediction, do they? My
> prediction will bea modest VEN 0-1 PAR (in soph-terms: Venezuela 0.25, draw 0.35,
> Paraguay 0.40).
>
> Chile - Colombia (2-2, 1-1, 1-3, 4-0, 0-0, 0-1, 4-1)
>
> Colombia seems to be the better side, but Chile shouldn't be a pushover and
> the host factor, at Estadio Monumental de Santiago, might level the scales.
> I think this will be up for grabs, with a very slight edge for the visitors.
> I'll go for a draw, 1-1 (in soph-terms: Chile 0.30, draw 0.35, Colombia 0..35)
>
> Peru - Brasil (2-4, 0-2, n/a, 1-1, 1-1, 0-1, n/a)
>
> Brasil visits Estadio Nacional de Lima as the favorite against the hosts. Peru
> might put up a fight but, barring an upset, Brasil should win. I'll predict
> PER 0-2 BRA (in soph-terms: Peru 0.20, draw 0.20, Brasil 0.60).
>

> Best regards,
>
> Lléo

Great report as always.

After the aberration of 2022 it feels good to get World Cup 2026 qualifying under way.

RM

Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1

<b71e4196-38a8-4908-92ad-c01d8eb6d630n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=15561&group=rec.sport.soccer#15561

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 03:16:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: real_mardin@yahoo.co.uk (Real Mardin)
 by: Real Mardin - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 10:16 UTC

> [...]
> was only to be a consolation goal. A good start for Bielsa in charge of La Celeste.
>
> Brasil 5-1 Bolivia
>
> A predictably easy victory for Brasil at Estadio Mangueirão, in Belém. The first
> half was a bit chippy and Bolivian goalkeeper Guillermo Viscarra put out a great
> performance, saving a penalty from Neymar and making several good saves. Bolivia
> limited damages and held Brasil to 1-0, goal by Rodrygo in the 23'.
>
> But in the second half, the floodgates opened. Raphinha (46'), Rodrygo again (52')
> and Neymar (60' and 92') finished off La Verde, whose honour goal was scored by
> Abrego (77').
>
> Neymar was tied with Pelé as Brasil's record goalscorer, with 77 goals. His goals
> today meant Pelé's record is broken and is now Neymar's. He celebrated imitating
> Pelé's classical celebration of jumping and punching the air.

Looks like 12th September according to google and the COMNEBOL site?

12/9:

Bolivia - Argentina

Ecuador - Uruguay

Venezuela - Paraguay

13/9:

Chile - Colombia

Peru - Brazil

?

RM

In brackets below, the results of these
> games in the WCQ cycles of 2018/2014/2010/2006/2002/1998 (all the round robin
> ones so far):
>
> Bolivia - Argentina (1-2, 2-0, 1-1, 6-1, 1-2, 3-3, 2-1)
>
> In principle a tough fixture at Estadio Hernando Siles, in the altitude of La
> Paz. But the gulf between the two teams is so vast that it gets hard to see
> Argentina dropping points here. I'll go for BOL 1-2 ARG (in soph-terms: Bolivia
> 0.20, draw 0.35, Argentina 0.45).
>
> Ecuador - Uruguay (4-2, 2-1, 1-0, 1-2, 0-0, 1-1, 4-0)
>
> Another one with the altitude factor to be accounted for, at Estadio Casa Blanca,
> in Quito. Uruguay looked good in the opener and Ecuador kept it respectable as
> visitors against the incumbent world champions. Should be a close one. I'll call
> a 1-1 draw (in soph-terms: Ecuador 0.35, draw 0.35, Uruguay 0.30)
>
> Venezuela - Paraguay (0-1, 0-1, 1-1, 1-2, 0-1, 3-1, 0-2)
>
> Not sure what to expect from this one, to be played at Estadio Monumental de
> Maturín. I don't rate Venezuela much, so I think Paraguay might steal a win here,
> but they don't inspire confidence enough for a bold prediction, do they? My
> prediction will bea modest VEN 0-1 PAR (in soph-terms: Venezuela 0.25, draw 0.35,
> Paraguay 0.40).
>
> Chile - Colombia (2-2, 1-1, 1-3, 4-0, 0-0, 0-1, 4-1)
>
> Colombia seems to be the better side, but Chile shouldn't be a pushover and
> the host factor, at Estadio Monumental de Santiago, might level the scales.
> I think this will be up for grabs, with a very slight edge for the visitors.
> I'll go for a draw, 1-1 (in soph-terms: Chile 0.30, draw 0.35, Colombia 0..35)
>
> Peru - Brasil (2-4, 0-2, n/a, 1-1, 1-1, 0-1, n/a)
>
> Brasil visits Estadio Nacional de Lima as the favorite against the hosts. Peru
> might put up a fight but, barring an upset, Brasil should win. I'll predict
> PER 0-2 BRA (in soph-terms: Peru 0.20, draw 0.20, Brasil 0.60).
>

> Best regards,
>
> Lléo

Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1

<5894420c-0a3a-491e-a040-b6dfd5c6a6a4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=15569&group=rec.sport.soccer#15569

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 09:18:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: llb.moura@gmail.com (Lléo)
 by: Lléo - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:18 UTC

Em sábado, 9 de setembro de 2023 às 07:16:12 UTC-3, Real Mardin escreveu:
> On Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 4:56:21 AM UTC+1, Lléo wrote:
> > Next round to be played on March 29th.
> Looks like 12th September according to google and the COMNEBOL site?
>
> 12/9:
>
> Bolivia - Argentina
>
> Ecuador - Uruguay
>
> Venezuela - Paraguay
>
> 13/9:
>
> Chile - Colombia
>
> Peru - Brazil
>
> ?

It is as you say. I had copied that sentence from a previous report (since it is always there) and forgot to correct
the date. Thanks for the correction!

Best regards,

Lléo

Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1

<8ed759ce-c900-4650-a39b-be513b012a23n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=15571&group=rec.sport.soccer#15571

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 11:53:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: llb.moura@gmail.com (Lléo)
 by: Lléo - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 18:53 UTC

Em sábado, 9 de setembro de 2023 às 07:09:09 UTC-3, Real Mardin escreveu:
> On Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 4:56:21 AM UTC+1, Lléo wrote:
> > But in the second half, the floodgates opened. Raphinha (46'), Rodrygo
> > again (52') and Neymar (60' and 92') finished off La Verde, whose honour
> > goal
>
> Ahh - so there is football culture other than Turkey that uses the term
> "honour goal" as opposed to "consolation goal".

Indeed we say "gol de honra" in Brasil (or "golo" de honra in Portugal).
It works in Spanish too, "gol del honor". I've looked up a couple other
languages and found that Germans refer to it as "das Ehrentor" too, which
quite literally means "honour goal".

In French, I've found "en but pour l'honneur" and "sauver l'honneur", but
I don't speak the language and have no idea which one is correct, or if
either indeed applies :-). The latter looks more like "saving face". But
both expressions seem to refer to honor. In Italian I found the expression
"gol della bandiera". Again, not sure if this is right, hopefully it makes
sense.

So it seems English's "consolation" concept is actually the exception? :-)
Reading again what I wrote, I don't really know why I wrote "honor goal",
which seems to have no meaning in English (in a football context, I mean),
especially having earlier referred to Chile's "consolation goal" vs Uruguay..
Must have been a slip.

How do you say it in Turkish? I've tried Google Translate, but I'm not
sure it understands what I mean.

Best regards,

Lléo

Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1

<41b3b9aa-98f2-49f8-b2cd-42811cfe70f9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=15572&group=rec.sport.soccer#15572

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 11:57:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: real_mardin@yahoo.co.uk (Real Mardin)
 by: Real Mardin - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 18:57 UTC

On Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 7:53:29 PM UTC+1, Lléo wrote:
> Em sábado, 9 de setembro de 2023 às 07:09:09 UTC-3, Real Mardin escreveu:
> > On Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 4:56:21 AM UTC+1, Lléo wrote:
> > > But in the second half, the floodgates opened. Raphinha (46'), Rodrygo
> > > again (52') and Neymar (60' and 92') finished off La Verde, whose honour
> > > goal
> >
> > Ahh - so there is football culture other than Turkey that uses the term
> > "honour goal" as opposed to "consolation goal".
> Indeed we say "gol de honra" in Brasil (or "golo" de honra in Portugal).
> It works in Spanish too, "gol del honor". I've looked up a couple other
> languages and found that Germans refer to it as "das Ehrentor" too, which
> quite literally means "honour goal".
>
> In French, I've found "en but pour l'honneur" and "sauver l'honneur", but
> I don't speak the language and have no idea which one is correct, or if
> either indeed applies :-). The latter looks more like "saving face". But
> both expressions seem to refer to honor. In Italian I found the expression
> "gol della bandiera". Again, not sure if this is right, hopefully it makes
> sense.
>
> So it seems English's "consolation" concept is actually the exception? :-)
> Reading again what I wrote, I don't really know why I wrote "honor goal",
> which seems to have no meaning in English (in a football context, I mean),
> especially having earlier referred to Chile's "consolation goal" vs Uruguay.
> Must have been a slip.
>
> How do you say it in Turkish? I've tried Google Translate, but I'm not
> sure it understands what I mean.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Lléo

So it’s England being awkward by being the odd one out! In Turkish it’s “seref golu “ (honour goal).

RM

Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1

<7408bc2a-cdba-465f-a049-917c30240c57n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=15592&group=rec.sport.soccer#15592

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 08:54:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Pammiesheart@yahoo.co.uk (Mark)
 by: Mark - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 15:54 UTC

On Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 4:56:21 AM UTC+1, Lléo wrote:

> I didn't know it, but Ecuador has been docked 3 points for irregularly lining
> up Byron Castillo in the last WCQ cycle. So, they remain at -3 and in the last
> position.

I read that in Wikipedia and did wonder to some extent why you hadn't mentioned it in your preview.

> Bolivia - Argentina (1-2, 2-0, 1-1, 6-1, 1-2, 3-3, 2-1)
>
> In principle a tough fixture at Estadio Hernando Siles, in the altitude of La
> Paz. But the gulf between the two teams is so vast that it gets hard to see
> Argentina dropping points here. I'll go for BOL 1-2 ARG (in soph-terms: Bolivia
> 0.20, draw 0.35, Argentina 0.45).

Bol 1 Arg 2

> Ecuador - Uruguay (4-2, 2-1, 1-0, 1-2, 0-0, 1-1, 4-0)
>
> Another one with the altitude factor to be accounted for, at Estadio Casa Blanca,
> in Quito. Uruguay looked good in the opener and Ecuador kept it respectable as
> visitors against the incumbent world champions. Should be a close one. I'll call
> a 1-1 draw (in soph-terms: Ecuador 0.35, draw 0.35, Uruguay 0.30)

Ecu 0 Uru 1

> Venezuela - Paraguay (0-1, 0-1, 1-1, 1-2, 0-1, 3-1, 0-2)
>
> Not sure what to expect from this one, to be played at Estadio Monumental de
> Maturín. I don't rate Venezuela much, so I think Paraguay might steal a win here,
> but they don't inspire confidence enough for a bold prediction, do they? My
> prediction will bea modest VEN 0-1 PAR (in soph-terms: Venezuela 0.25, draw 0.35,
> Paraguay 0.40).

Ven 1 Par 0

> Chile - Colombia (2-2, 1-1, 1-3, 4-0, 0-0, 0-1, 4-1)
>
> Colombia seems to be the better side, but Chile shouldn't be a pushover and
> the host factor, at Estadio Monumental de Santiago, might level the scales.
> I think this will be up for grabs, with a very slight edge for the visitors.
> I'll go for a draw, 1-1 (in soph-terms: Chile 0.30, draw 0.35, Colombia 0..35)

Chi 2 Col 2

> Peru - Brasil (2-4, 0-2, n/a, 1-1, 1-1, 0-1, n/a)
>
> Brasil visits Estadio Nacional de Lima as the favorite against the hosts. Peru
> might put up a fight but, barring an upset, Brasil should win. I'll predict
> PER 0-2 BRA (in soph-terms: Peru 0.20, draw 0.20, Brasil 0.60).

Per 1 Bra 2

Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1

<eaf69c7b-5924-45c0-b7ba-a863a3aa9611n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=15609&group=rec.sport.soccer#15609

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 03:34:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Pammiesheart@yahoo.co.uk (Mark)
 by: Mark - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 10:34 UTC

On Monday, September 11, 2023 at 4:54:43 PM UTC+1, Mark wrote:
> On Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 4:56:21 AM UTC+1, Lléo wrote:
>

> > I didn't know it, but Ecuador has been docked 3 points for irregularly lining
> > up Byron Castillo in the last WCQ cycle. So, they remain at -3 and in the last
> > position.
> I read that in Wikipedia and did wonder to some extent why you hadn't mentioned it in your preview.
> > Bolivia - Argentina (1-2, 2-0, 1-1, 6-1, 1-2, 3-3, 2-1)
> >
> > In principle a tough fixture at Estadio Hernando Siles, in the altitude of La
> > Paz. But the gulf between the two teams is so vast that it gets hard to see
> > Argentina dropping points here. I'll go for BOL 1-2 ARG (in soph-terms: Bolivia
> > 0.20, draw 0.35, Argentina 0.45).
> Bol 1 Arg 2

Lleo 70 points
Mark 70 points

> > Ecuador - Uruguay (4-2, 2-1, 1-0, 1-2, 0-0, 1-1, 4-0)
> >
> > Another one with the altitude factor to be accounted for, at Estadio Casa Blanca,
> > in Quito. Uruguay looked good in the opener and Ecuador kept it respectable as
> > visitors against the incumbent world champions. Should be a close one. I'll call
> > a 1-1 draw (in soph-terms: Ecuador 0.35, draw 0.35, Uruguay 0.30)
> Ecu 0 Uru 1

Lleo 30
Mark 0

> > Venezuela - Paraguay (0-1, 0-1, 1-1, 1-2, 0-1, 3-1, 0-2)
> >
> > Not sure what to expect from this one, to be played at Estadio Monumental de
> > Maturín. I don't rate Venezuela much, so I think Paraguay might steal a win here,
> > but they don't inspire confidence enough for a bold prediction, do they? My
> > prediction will bea modest VEN 0-1 PAR (in soph-terms: Venezuela 0.25, draw 0.35,
> > Paraguay 0.40).
> Ven 1 Par 0

Lleo 0
Mark 100

> > Chile - Colombia (2-2, 1-1, 1-3, 4-0, 0-0, 0-1, 4-1)
> >
> > Colombia seems to be the better side, but Chile shouldn't be a pushover and
> > the host factor, at Estadio Monumental de Santiago, might level the scales.
> > I think this will be up for grabs, with a very slight edge for the visitors.
> > I'll go for a draw, 1-1 (in soph-terms: Chile 0.30, draw 0.35, Colombia 0.35)
> Chi 2 Col 2

Lleo 90
Mark 80

> > Peru - Brasil (2-4, 0-2, n/a, 1-1, 1-1, 0-1, n/a)
> >
> > Brasil visits Estadio Nacional de Lima as the favorite against the hosts. Peru
> > might put up a fight but, barring an upset, Brasil should win. I'll predict
> > PER 0-2 BRA (in soph-terms: Peru 0.20, draw 0.20, Brasil 0.60).
> >

> Per 1 Bra 2

Lleo 85
Mark 90

Total: