The whole of life is futile unless you consider it as a sporting proposition.

sport / rec.sport.soccer / Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 4

SubjectAuthor
* (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 4Lléo
+- (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 4Binder Dundat
+- (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 4Mark
`* (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 4Werner Pichler
 +- (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 4anders t
 +- (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 4Mark
 `- (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 4Lléo

1
(R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 4

<5aa08f8c-0e96-4391-979d-1dbdef0fde5bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=15962&group=rec.sport.soccer#15962

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 21:46:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 4
From: llb.moura@gmail.com (Lléo)
 by: Lléo - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 04:46 UTC

In this round we had a long drought and an unbeaten run broken in a derby,
and a legendary player setting a personal record. Three points separate
Uruguay (2nd) and Chile (8th), with Argentina cruising at the top of the
table, and Peru and Bolivia so far looking hopeless at the bottom.

Venezuela 3-0 Chile

Dominant victory by the Vinotinto at Estadio Monumental de Maturín, with a
man of the match performance by Santos winger Yeferson Soteldo. The little
forward scored the first goal, at the end of the first half, poaching on a
mistake by the Chilean defense at the 45th minute, and provided two assists,
at the 72nd and 78th minutes after some fine runs down the left wing (to
Salomón Rondón and Darwin Machís, respectively). A stunned Chile had their
chances, but never really deserved any better than this.

Paraguay 1-0 Bolivia

An easy enough win for Paraguay, at Estadio Defensores del Chaco in Asunción.
A rather one-sided game, in which Paraguay had two goals called off before
Sanabria tipped in the winner, at the 68th minute. Bolivia barely did anything
and have a lot to thank their goalkeeper Guillermo Viscarra, whose many saves
spared them from an embarassing score.

Ecuador 0-0 Colombia

Honours split even at Estadio Casa Blanca, in Quito, with a number of scoring
chances for both sides. Ecuador hit the post twice, while Colombia had two goals
called off and Luis Diaz missed a penalty, saved by Moises Ramírez.

Uruguay 2-0 Brasil

And the drought reaches an end. After 22 years, Uruguay beats Brasil again at
Estadio Centenario, in Montevideo. The game didn't have many scoring chances:
indeed the first shot on target was only in the 41st minute, as Darwin Nuñez
headed in the opener. Three minutes later Neymar injured himself and had to
be stretchered off, being replaced by Richarlison. Rodrygo hit the bar on a
free kick on the 68th minute, but that was Brasil's only real chance in the
match. Eight minutes later, Darwin Nuñez, on the ground by the endline and
with two defenders standing near him, managed to find a pass to De la Cruz
for La Celeste's second goal. Brasil never looked like fighting back, and
even had to endure an Olé by an ecstatic crowd at El Centenário.

This result broke Brasil's 37-game long unbeaten run in the WCQ, which lasted
eight years, last loss had been to Chile in 2015. Also, this was Uruguay's
first win over Brasil by more than one goal since the first leg of the 1983
Copa America final (also a 2-0 in Montevideo).

Peru 0-2 Argentina

Easy enough victory for Argentina, at Estadio Nacional de Lima. Two first
half goals by Messi (31st and 41st minutes) split the two sides, and pushed
him ahead of Luis Suárez as the highest ever scorer of Conmebol WCQ, with
31 goals in 63 games. Peru never really looked like challenging Argentina and
remains as the only team who hasn't scored in this WCQ cycle so far.

Table [points, games, w-d-l, gs-gc, gd, (mi = media inglese)]

1 Argentina 12 4 4 0 0 7-0 7+ (mi +4)
2 Uruguay 7 4 2 1 1 8-5 3+ (mi -1)
3 Brasil 7 4 2 1 1 7-4 3+ (mi -1)
4 Venezuela 7 4 2 1 1 5-2 3+ (mi -1)
5 Colombia 6 4 1 3 0 3-2 1+ (mi -2)
6 Ecuador 4 4 2 1 1 4-3 1+ (mi -1) (-3 points penalty)
-----------------------------
7 Paraguay 4 4 1 1 2 1-2 1- (mi -4)
-----------------------------
8 Chile 4 4 1 1 2 3-6 3- (mi -4)
9 Peru 1 4 0 1 3 0-5 5- (mi -7)
10 Bolivia 0 4 0 0 4 2-11 9- (mi -8)

Next round to be played on November 16th. In brackets below, the results of
these games in the WCQ cycles of 2022/2018/2014/2010/2006/2002/1998 (all the
round robin ones so far):

Bolivia - Peru (1-0, 0-3*, 1-1, 3-0, 1-0, 1-0, 0-0) *awarded 0-3, originally 2-0

These two sides have been looking pretty dire so far. A draw wouldn't help
either of them, but they don't seem able to do better. At Estadio Hernando
Siles, in La Paz, Bolivia has the edge, but so far they're yet to make it
count in this cycle. I'll predict a 1-1 draw on this one (in soph-terms:
Bolivia 0.35, draw 0.50, Peru 0.15).

Venezuela - Ecuador (2-1, 1-3, 1-1, 3-1, 3-1, 1-2, 1-1)

Venezuela comes off this couple of rounds on a roll and should be a non
trivial opponent to Ecuador at Estadio Monumental de Maturín. Should be a
close one. Again, I'll call it a 1-1 draw (in soph-terms: Venezuela 0.35,
draw 0.35, Ecuador 0.30).

Colombia - Brasil (0-0, 1-1, n/a, 0-0, 1-2, 0-0, n/a)

Another tough one on the cards at Estadio Metropolitano de Barranquilla.
Brasil has been very uninspiring in this cycle so far, but Colombian
victories are very rare in this matchup. Yet again I'll go for a 1-1 draw
(in soph-terms: Colombia 0.35, draw 0.35, Brasil 0.30).

Argentina - Uruguay (3-0, 1-0, 3-0, 2-1, 4-2, 2-1, 0-0)

The oldest derby in America will have another chapter at Estadio Monumental
de Nuñez, in Buenos Aires. Uruguay comes off this couple of rounds with their
heads up high, but then Argentina did even better in these. Game of the round,
between the WCQ's top two sides. At home Argentina tends to dominate, and thus
far Scaloni never lost a WCQ game as Argentina manager. Should be a close one,
I'll tip ARG 2-1 URU (in soph-terms: Argentina 0.40, draw 0.30, Uruguay 0.30).

Chile - Paraguay (2-0, 0-3, 2-0, 0-3, 0-1, 3-1, 2-1)

Two teams that haven't been showing much so far meet at Estadio Monumental
de Santiago. A difficult one to predict, I guess at home Chile has a slight
edge? Once more I'll tip a draw, again an 1-1 (in soph-terms: Chile 0.35,
draw 0.35, Paraguay 0.30).

Best regards,

Lléo

Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 4

<db2a0ae8-9db0-430b-bf8d-df0df3ca2174n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=15979&group=rec.sport.soccer#15979

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 04:02:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 4
From: dundat@gmail.com (Binder Dundat)
 by: Binder Dundat - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 11:02 UTC

On Wednesday, October 18, 2023 at 12:46:31 a.m. UTC-4, Lléo wrote:
> In this round we had a long drought and an unbeaten run broken in a derby,
> and a legendary player setting a personal record. Three points separate
> Uruguay (2nd) and Chile (8th), with Argentina cruising at the top of the
> table, and Peru and Bolivia so far looking hopeless at the bottom.
>
> Venezuela 3-0 Chile

So it is official, Venezuela is the hottest team in Football.

> [...]
> (in soph-terms: Colombia 0.35, draw 0.35, Brasil 0.30).
>
> Argentina - Uruguay (3-0, 1-0, 3-0, 2-1, 4-2, 2-1, 0-0)
>
> The oldest derby in America will have another chapter at Estadio Monumental
> de Nuñez, in Buenos Aires. Uruguay comes off this couple of rounds with their
> heads up high, but then Argentina did even better in these. Game of the round,
> between the WCQ's top two sides. At home Argentina tends to dominate, and thus
> far Scaloni never lost a WCQ game as Argentina manager. Should be a close one,
> I'll tip ARG 2-1 URU (in soph-terms: Argentina 0.40, draw 0.30, Uruguay 0..30).
>
> Chile - Paraguay (2-0, 0-3, 2-0, 0-3, 0-1, 3-1, 2-1)
>
> Two teams that haven't been showing much so far meet at Estadio Monumental
> de Santiago. A difficult one to predict, I guess at home Chile has a slight
> edge? Once more I'll tip a draw, again an 1-1 (in soph-terms: Chile 0.35,

<d3f08fd0-2409-4f2c-8bb7-333a54f92176n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=15999&group=rec.sport.soccer#15999

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 00:28:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Pammiesheart@yahoo.co.uk (Mark)
 by: Mark - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 07:28 UTC

On Wednesday, October 18, 2023 at 5:46:31 AM UTC+1, Lléo wrote:

> Peru 0-2 Argentina
>
> Easy enough victory for Argentina, at Estadio Nacional de Lima. Two first
> half goals by Messi (31st and 41st minutes) split the two sides, and pushed
> him ahead of Luis Suárez as the highest ever scorer of Conmebol WCQ, with
> 31 goals in 63 games. Peru never really looked like challenging Argentina and
> remains as the only team who hasn't scored in this WCQ cycle so far.

What was Nicolas Tagliafico like in this game? From what I've read it sounds as if he played well, but apparently he was substituted, so I'm not sure.

Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 4

<6920b163-57f2-492a-b273-d9194b176887n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=16004&group=rec.sport.soccer#16004

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:00:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: wpichler@gmail.com (Werner Pichler)
 by: Werner Pichler - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 17:00 UTC

On Wednesday, October 18, 2023 at 6:46:31 AM UTC+2, Lléo wrote:
> In this round we had a long drought and an unbeaten run broken in a derby,
> and a legendary player setting a personal record. Three points separate
> Uruguay (2nd) and Chile (8th), with Argentina cruising at the top of the
> table, and Peru and Bolivia so far looking hopeless at the bottom.
>

> Uruguay 2-0 Brasil
>
> And the drought reaches an end. After 22 years, Uruguay beats Brasil again at
> Estadio Centenario, in Montevideo. The game didn't have many scoring chances:
> indeed the first shot on target was only in the 41st minute, as Darwin Nuñez
> headed in the opener. Three minutes later Neymar injured himself and had to
> be stretchered off, being replaced by Richarlison. Rodrygo hit the bar on a
> free kick on the 68th minute, but that was Brasil's only real chance in the
> match. Eight minutes later, Darwin Nuñez, on the ground by the endline and
> with two defenders standing near him, managed to find a pass to De la Cruz
> for La Celeste's second goal. Brasil never looked like fighting back, and
> even had to endure an Olé by an ecstatic crowd at El Centenário..
>
> This result broke Brasil's 37-game long unbeaten run in the WCQ, which lasted
> eight years, last loss had been to Chile in 2015. Also, this was Uruguay's
> first win over Brasil by more than one goal since the first leg of the 1983
> Copa America final (also a 2-0 in Montevideo).

Still unbeaten in all WC Qualifiers at home though, correct?

Ciao,
Werner

Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 4

<1uo5ji9m6ked376ec42ui5sved4psr7u1m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=16008&group=rec.sport.soccer#16008

From: anthu_001@-nospam-hotmail.com (anders t)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 22:32:55 +0200
 by: anders t - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 20:32 UTC

Quoting Werner Pichler in rec.sport.soccer:

>Still unbeaten in all WC Qualifiers at home though, correct?

Thank you very much for reminding me of Germany's shameful loss to Portugal
at home 1985.

--
Manchester United FC - CHAMPIONS
Latest: England '13 (20th) Europa '17, UEFA '08, World '08

Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 4

<9428f134-65af-4cbc-8cae-e30cf84bbf7en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=16017&group=rec.sport.soccer#16017

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 08:44:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Pammiesheart@yahoo.co.uk (Mark)
 by: Mark - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 15:44 UTC

On Friday, October 20, 2023 at 6:00:41 PM UTC+1, Werner Pichler wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 18, 2023 at 6:46:31 AM UTC+2, Lléo wrote:
> > In this round we had a long drought and an unbeaten run broken in a derby,
> > and a legendary player setting a personal record. Three points separate
> > Uruguay (2nd) and Chile (8th), with Argentina cruising at the top of the
> > table, and Peru and Bolivia so far looking hopeless at the bottom.
> >

> > Uruguay 2-0 Brasil
> >
> > And the drought reaches an end. After 22 years, Uruguay beats Brasil again at
> > Estadio Centenario, in Montevideo. The game didn't have many scoring chances:
> > indeed the first shot on target was only in the 41st minute, as Darwin Nuñez
> > headed in the opener. Three minutes later Neymar injured himself and had to
> > be stretchered off, being replaced by Richarlison. Rodrygo hit the bar on a
> > free kick on the 68th minute, but that was Brasil's only real chance in the
> > match. Eight minutes later, Darwin Nuñez, on the ground by the endline and
> > with two defenders standing near him, managed to find a pass to De la Cruz
> > for La Celeste's second goal. Brasil never looked like fighting back, and
> > even had to endure an Olé by an ecstatic crowd at El Centenário.
> >
> > This result broke Brasil's 37-game long unbeaten run in the WCQ, which lasted
> > eight years, last loss had been to Chile in 2015. Also, this was Uruguay's
> > first win over Brasil by more than one goal since the first leg of the 1983
> > Copa America final (also a 2-0 in Montevideo).
> Still unbeaten in all WC Qualifiers at home though, correct?
>
> Ciao,
> Werner

Yes that's correct.

Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 4

<813a7a35-11ff-423f-9c6d-b9a977040983n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=16020&group=rec.sport.soccer#16020

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 15:21:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: llb.moura@gmail.com (Lléo)
 by: Lléo - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 22:21 UTC

Werner Pichler escreveu:
> Lléo wrote:
> > This result broke Brasil's 37-game long unbeaten run in the WCQ, which lasted
> > eight years, last loss had been to Chile in 2015. Also, this was Uruguay's
> > first win over Brasil by more than one goal since the first leg of the 1983
> > Copa America final (also a 2-0 in Montevideo).
>
> Still unbeaten in all WC Qualifiers at home though, correct?

Indeed, that one still stands. It'll face a big challenge right next month,
though, as Brasil hosts Argentina. Both sides' current fortunes are wide
opposite - plus, in fact, I don't think Brasil has ever faced an opponent in
the WCQ with the profile as high as Argentina's currently - though, of course,
a derby is always a derby.

Some numbers about the run: right now it stands at 64 games (51 wins and 13
draws, 173 goals scored and 29 conceded) since 1954, played at 25 venues in
17 different cities. Here's the full list thus far.

----------------1954----------------
1-0 Chile (Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro)
4-1 Paraguay (Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro)
----------------1958----------------
1-0 Peru (Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro)
----------------1970----------------
6-2 Colombia (Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro)
6-0 Venezuela (Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro)
1-0 Paraguay (Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro)
----------------1978----------------
6-0 Colombia (Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro)
1-1 Paraguay (Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro)
----------------1982----------------
3-1 Bolivia (Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro)
5-0 Venezuela (Serra Dourada, Goiânia)
----------------1986----------------
1-1 Paraguay (Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro)
1-1 Bolivia (Morumbi, São Paulo)
----------------1990----------------
6-0 Venezuela (Morumbi, São Paulo)
2-0 Chile (Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro) <- awarded 2-0, originally BRA 1-0 CHI.
----------------1994----------------
2-0 Ecuador (Morumbi, São Paulo)
6-0 Bolivia (Arruda, Recife)
4-0 Venezuela (Mineirão, Belo Horizonte)
2-0 Uruguay (Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro)
----------------2002----------------
3-2 Ecuador (Morumbi, São Paulo)
1-1 Uruguay (Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro)
3-1 Argentina (Morumbi, São Paulo)
5-0 Bolivia (Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro)
1-0 Colombia (Morumbi, São Paulo)
1-1 Peru (Morumbi, São Paulo)
2-0 Paraguay (Olimpico Monumental, Porto Alegre)
2-0 Chile (Couto Pereira, Curitiba)
3-0 Venezuela (Castelão, São Luiz)
----------------2006----------------
1-0 Ecuador (Vivaldão, Manaus)
3-3 Uruguay (Pinheirão, Curitiba)
3-1 Argentina (Mineirão, Belo Horizonte)
3-1 Bolivia (Morumbi, São Paulo)
0-0 Colombia (Rei Pelé, Maceió)
1-0 Peru (Serra Dourada, Goiânia)
4-1 Paraguay (Beira-Rio, Porto Alegre)
5-0 Chile (Mané Garrincha, Brasília)
3-0 Venezuela (Mangueirão, Belém)
----------------2010----------------
5-0 Ecuador (Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro)
2-1 Uruguay (Morumbi, São Paulo)
0-0 Argentina (Mineirão, Belo Horizonte)
0-0 Bolívia (Engenhão, Rio de Janeiro)
0-0 Colombia (Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro)
3-0 Peru (Beira-Rio, Porto Alegre)
2-1 Paraguay (Arruda, Recife)
4-2 Chile (Pituaçu, Salvador)
0-0 Venezuela (Morenão, Campo Grande)
----------------2018----------------
3-1 Venezuela (Castelão, Fortaleza)
3-0 Peru (Fonte Nova, Salvador)
2-2 Uruguay (Arena Pernambuco, Recife)
2-1 Colombia (Arena da Amazônia, Manaus)
5-0 Bolivia (Arena das Dunas, Natal)
3-0 Argentina (Mineirão, Belo Horizonte)
3-0 Paraguay (Arena Corinthians, São Paulo)
2-0 Ecuador (Arena do Grêmio, Porto Alegre)
3-0 Chile (Arena Palestra Itália, São Paulo)
----------------2022----------------
5-0 Bolivia (Arena Corinthians, São Paulo)
1-0 Venezuela (Morumbi, São Paulo)
2-0 Ecuador (Beira-Rio, Porto Alegre)
2-0 Peru (Arena Pernambuco, Recife)
4-1 Uruguay (Arena da Amazônia, Manaus)
1-0 Colombia (Arena Corinthians, São Paulo)
4-0 Paraguay (Mineirão, Belo Horizonte)
4-0 Chile (Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro)
----------------2026----------------
5-1 Bolivia (Mangueirão, Belém)
1-1 Venezuela (Arena Pantanal, Cuiabá)

Maracanã used to be the Brasil's main venue in qualifying cycles of the 20th
century (those before the double round robin days). 12 out of 18 home WCQ games
back then were played there, and overall only five cities had been used. With
the abundance of games provided by the format change, these numbers exploded
over the 21st century.

# of games by venue:

17 Maracanã
10 Morumbi
5 Mineirão
3 Vivaldão/Arena da Amazônia, Arena Corinthians, Beira-Rio
2 Mangueirão, Arruda, Arena Pernambuco, Serra Dourada
1 Arena Palestra Itália, Engenhão, Pinheirão, Couto Pereira, Olímpico
Monumental, Arena do Grêmio, Castelão (Fortaleza and São Luiz), Rei
Pelé, Arena das Dunas, Fonte Nova, Pituaçu, Arena Pantanal, Morenão,
Mané Garrincha

10 of the 12 stadiums used in WC'2014 were used in the WCQ since, the two
exceptions being those in Brasília (Estádio Nacional Mané Garrincha, which
had one game before) and Curitiba (Arena da Baixada, which never did).

# of games by city:

18 Rio de Janeiro
14 São Paulo
5 Porto Alegre, Belo Horizonte
4 Recife
3 Manaus
2 Curitiba, Salvador, Belém, Goiânia
1 Cuiabá, São Luiz, Brasília, Fortaleza, Natal, Campo Grande, Maceió

Interestingly, all 9 opponents have already faced Brasil in São Paulo at
least once. 8 of the 9 have done so in Rio de Janeiro as well, and the
remaining one, Argentina, will do so next month at Maracanã. Argentina's
previous four WCQ games in Brasil have been in Belo Horizonte (3) and São
Paulo (1).

Venezuela is the one that traveled around Brasil the most, having played
in 9 different cities.

Breakdown by opponent:

vs Argentina - 4 games, 3 wins, 1 draw, 9 goals scored, 2 conceded
vs Bolivia - 9 games, 7 wins, 2 draws, 33 goals scored, 4 conceded
vs Chile - 7 games, 7 wins, 21 goals scored, 2 conceded
vs Colombia - 7 games, 5 wins, 2 draws, 16 goals scored, 3 conceded
vs Ecuador - 6 games, 6 wins, 15 goals scored, 2 conceded
vs Paraguay - 9 games, 7 wins, 2 draws, 22 goals scored, 5 conceded
vs Peru - 6 games, 5 wins, 1 draw, 11 goals scored, 1 conceded
vs Uruguay - 6 games, 3 wins, 3 draws, 14 goals scored, 8 conceded
vs Venezuela - 10 games, 8 wins, 2 draws, 32 goals scored, 2 conceded
Total - 64 games, 51 wins, 13 draws, 173 goals scored, 29 conceded

Best regards,

Lléo