From: MHnospam@ucalgary.ca (MH)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Subject: CONCACAF Nations League
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 15:01:54 -0700
 by: MH - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 22:01 UTC

Not much of a league with the new format. The top 4 (WC qualifiers)
were exempt from "league" p;ay, and joined in at the QF stage - which
also serves as a qualifier for the Copa America next summer.

First games over the past two days for the QF (two legged affair, seems
like away goals rule is in operation, too)

1. Costa Rica 0-3 Panama
Surprising large margin of loss for the Ticos at home

2. USA 3-0 Trinidad and Tobago.
T and T might win the return (has happened before) but not by 3 or more
goals

3. Honduras 2-0 Mexico.
Saw some of this because the Canada game was postponed, looked fairly
even. A 2 goal deficit used to be something El Tri would make up easily
in the Azteca, but maybe those days are gone.

4. Jamaica 1-2 Canada
Was supposed to be Friday night but got rained out. Seriously rained
out. Pitch was still pretty bad today, but the game was good, and
fairly even. Jamaica have a lot of talent with guys like Antonio,
Bailey, De Cordova Reid, Pinnock, Nicholson and so on. Very well
refereed for a concacaf game, my hat off for Ms. Tori (Mary) Penso, who
was in charge. Two good goals gave us our first victory in Jamaica in
35 years. Return game in Toronto far from a sure thing, as Jamaica has
always been a fairly even matchup for us. Goals by David on a can't
miss opportunity set up by Larin controlling the ball in the box and
beating two defenders. Then Eustquio on a pullback from a rampant
Laryea who burst through on the right side. Biello played a 4-4-2,
which is not typical for Canada, but it worked quite well with Davies
and Buchanan wide in midfield. Canada basically at full strength and
even left Johnston on the bench at the start. Our defending still
worries me but Borjan did not screw up this time at least.

Losing teams will play off for the final two Copa America places. The
winners advance to the CONCACAF nations' league final tournament in
Arlington TX in March, as well as qualifying for the 16 team Copa
America hosted by the US.

Re: CONCACAF Nations League

<ujbluo$1p4a$28@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=16327&group=rec.sport.soccer#16327

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Subject: Re: CONCACAF Nations League
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 00:47:20 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 00:47 UTC

In article <ujbc8k$3ft83$1@dont-email.me>, MH <MHnospam@ucalgary.ca> wrote:
>Not much of a league with the new format. The top 4 (WC qualifiers)
>were exempt from "league" p;ay, and joined in at the QF stage - which
>also serves as a qualifier for the Copa America next summer.
>
>First games over the past two days for the QF (two legged affair, seems
>like away goals rule is in operation, too)
>
>1. Costa Rica 0-3 Panama
>Surprising large margin of loss for the Ticos at home

Bag!

>2. USA 3-0 Trinidad and Tobago.
>T and T might win the return (has happened before) but not by 3 or more
>goals

If the crowd is week.

>3. Honduras 2-0 Mexico.
>Saw some of this because the Canada game was postponed, looked fairly
>even. A 2 goal deficit used to be something El Tri would make up easily
>in the Azteca, but maybe those days are gone.

We shall See.

>4. Jamaica 1-2 Canada
>Was supposed to be Friday night but got rained out. Seriously rained
>out. Pitch was still pretty bad today, but the game was good, and
>fairly even. Jamaica have a lot of talent with guys like Antonio,
>Bailey, De Cordova Reid, Pinnock, Nicholson and so on. Very well
>refereed for a concacaf game, my hat off for Ms. Tori (Mary) Penso, who
>was in charge. Two good goals gave us our first victory in Jamaica in
>35 years. Return game in Toronto far from a sure thing, as Jamaica has
>always been a fairly even matchup for us. Goals by David on a can't
>miss opportunity set up by Larin controlling the ball in the box and
>beating two defenders. Then Eustquio on a pullback from a rampant
>Laryea who burst through on the right side. Biello played a 4-4-2,
>which is not typical for Canada, but it worked quite well with Davies
>and Buchanan wide in midfield. Canada basically at full strength and
>even left Johnston on the bench at the start. Our defending still
>worries me but Borjan did not screw up this time at least.

Waterlogged pitches for you!

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: CONCACAF Nations League

<ujlqdd$1g0vl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=16380&group=rec.sport.soccer#16380

From: MHnospam@ucalgary.ca (MH)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 14:04:43 -0700
 by: MH - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 21:04 UTC

On 2023-11-18 15:01, MH wrote:
> Not much of a league with the new format.  The top 4 (WC qualifiers)
> were exempt from "league" p;ay, and joined in at the QF stage - which
> also serves as a qualifier for the Copa America next summer.
>
> First games over the past two days for the QF (two legged affair, seems
> like away goals rule is in operation, too)
>
> 1. Costa Rica 0-3 Panama
> Surprising large margin of loss for the Ticos at home

Panama though comfortably.

> 2. USA  3-0  Trinidad and Tobago.
> T and T might win the return (has happened before) but not by 3 or more
> goals

TandT did win the return. But only 2-1

> 3. Honduras 2-0 Mexico.
> Saw some of this because the Canada game was postponed, looked fairly
> even.  A 2 goal deficit used to be something El Tri would make up easily
> in the Azteca, but maybe those days are gone.

Those days are gone. last minute Mexico goal against 9 Hondurans took
it to penalties, which the Mexicans won.

> 4. Jamaica 1-2  Canada
> Was supposed to be Friday night but got rained out. Seriously rained
> out.  Pitch was still pretty bad today, but the game was good, and
> fairly even.  Jamaica have a lot of talent with guys like Antonio,
> Bailey, De Cordova Reid, Pinnock, Nicholson and so on.  Very well
> refereed for a concacaf game, my hat off for Ms. Tori (Mary) Penso, who
> was in charge.  Two good goals gave us our first victory in Jamaica in
> 35 years.  Return game in Toronto far from a sure thing,

Never a truer word was spoken. Canada started well and scored through a
weird goal by Davies after the ball ping ponged around a bit. Blake had
to make several outstanding saves in the first half. Canadian defence,
as they did in the first game, still looking shaky when Jamaica employed
their tactic of balls over the top for Bailey and Gray to run onto.

Second half the Jamaicans made some subs and improved a lot. They scored
twice through Nicholson (both goals preceded by possible fouls on
Canadian players but they did not replay those in a way I could tell for
sure - they were marginal) . So now 2-2 on aggregate. Canada pulled
one back with a nice header from youngster Koné. 3-2 on aggregate.
Then came one of those really annoying penalty hand ball calls on
Eustaquio. This one really hard to take as his arm was in a fairly
natural position, and what contact there was did not seem to deviate the
cross from its path significantly. The contact with the arm did not
result in any advantage to Canada or disadvantage to Jamaica. But the
VAR did not overturn the refs onfield decision. Bobby Reid scored the
pen easily. Canada huffed and puffed and got a few opporotunities but
it ended 2-3, 4-4 on aggregate with away goals in operation.

Biello made some subs just before the penalty that ended up being bad
ideas when chasing the game. Overall an even match (these two teams
are very evenly matched when at more or less full strength) with some
bad luck and ragged play on our part. I can't think Biello will get the
permanent job.

So no nations league SF for Canada, and now they have to sweat
qualification for the Copa America. They play Trinidad and Tobago
somewhere in Texas next march, with Costa Rica playing Honduras. I
really hope Canada wins (far from a sure thing as the US knows all too
well) since the experience of playing in the Copa is going to be very
important to developing the team and preparing it for WC2026 at home.
Reliable replacements for Vitoria, Borjan, Hoilett, Adekugbe and Larin
have to emerge from somewhere. Those guy will all be 32 or more by 2026.

as Jamaica has
> always been a fairly even matchup for us.  Goals by David on a can't
> miss opportunity set up by Larin controlling the ball in the box and
> beating two defenders.  Then Eustquio on a pullback from a rampant
> Laryea who burst through on the right side.  Biello played a 4-4-2,
> which is not typical for Canada, but it worked quite well with Davies
> and Buchanan wide in midfield.  Canada basically at full strength and
> even left Johnston on the bench at the start.  Our defending still
> worries me but Borjan did not screw up this time at least.
>
> Losing teams will play off for the final two Copa America places. The
> winners advance to the CONCACAF nations' league final tournament in
> Arlington TX in March, as well as qualifying for the 16 team Copa
> America hosted by the US.

Re: CONCACAF Nations League

<ujm639$1u5n$34@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=16385&group=rec.sport.soccer#16385

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 00:24:09 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 00:24 UTC

In article <ujlqdd$1g0vl$1@dont-email.me>, MH <MHnospam@ucalgary.ca> wrote:
> [...]
>have to emerge from somewhere. Those guy will all be 32 or more by 2026.
>

>as Jamaica has
>> always been a fairly even matchup for us.  Goals by David on a can't
>> miss opportunity set up by Larin controlling the ball in the box and
>> beating two defenders.  Then Eustquio on a pullback from a rampant
>> Laryea who burst through on the right side.  Biello played a 4-4-2,
>> which is not typical for Canada, but it worked quite well with Davies
>> and Buchanan wide in midfield.  Canada basically at full strength and
>> even left Johnston on the bench at the start.  Our defending still
>> worries me but Borjan did not screw up this time at least.
>>
>> Losing teams will play off for the final two Copa America places. The
>> winners advance to the CONCACAF nations' league final tournament in
>> Arlington TX in March, as well as qualifying for the 16 team Copa

Canada vs T an T to get ito Copa America
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca