A gambler's biggest thrill is winning a bet. His next biggest thrill is losing a bet.

sport / rec.sport.soccer / Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 5

SubjectAuthor
* (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 5Lléo
+* (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 5Werner Pichler
|`* (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 5Lléo
| `- Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 5Lléo
`* (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 5Mark
 `- (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 5Mark

1
(R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 5

<dcc1967c-62c0-4e50-b299-d7dea5180439n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=16310&group=rec.sport.soccer#16310

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 11:38:27 -0800 (PST)
Subject: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 5
From: llb.moura@gmail.com (Lléo)
 by: Lléo - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 19:38 UTC

This was a rather interesting round in Conmebol WCQ. Two managers making their
debut; a records holding player on his farewell game for his country; a player
scoring a brace and leading his team to a landmark victory, with his father,
recently released from captivity, watching from the stands; and the Unofficial
Football World Championship changing hands at the continent's oldest derby.
Not bad for a Thursday, I'd say.

Bolivia 2-0 Peru

One cycle closed and another one began on this match, at Estadio Hernando
Siles, in La Paz. This was Marcelo Moreno's 106th and last game for Bolivia..
He is the holder of the records of most appearances and most goals too (31)
wearing La Verde, on an international career that began on September 12th,
2007, in a friendly also against Peru.

On the other hand, this was also the debut of Antonio Carlos Zago as manager
of Bolivia. A successful defender on his club days, always on the periphery
of the Brazilian national team (he was called up for two Copa Americas, 1993
and 1999, and a handful of WCQ's), his managerial career is a bit all over
the place, with a couple of big clubs here and there, but overall peppered
with journeyman sides. This is his first experience with a national team.

And it seemed to start off with the right foot. Goals by Henry Vaca (19th
minute) and Ramiro Vaca (87th) finished off a poor Peruvian side, which is
yet to even score in this qualifying cycle.

Venezuela 0-0 Ecuador

Not a very rocking game at Estadio Monumental de Maturín, as Venezuela and
Ecuador hold each other to a goalless draw. A bit of an even game from what
I could grasp from highlights. Another manager had his debut on this game
too, Felix Sanchez, who was manager of Qatar in World Cup 2022 and is now
at Ecuador's helm.

Colombia 2-1 Brasil

An eventful night at Estadio Metropolitano de Barranquilla, as Colombia pulls
off its first ever win over Brasil in a World Cup Qualifier (and 4th in the
overall record, the others having been in 1985, 1991 and 2015). This was also
the first time Brasil ever lost two WCQ's in a row.

Brasil seemed to start off in full throttle and, on an assist by Vinicius
Junior, Martinelli scored the opener in the 3rd minute. But Colombia steadily
built its way back into the match and soon was the better side on the pitch..
Alisson made a handful of good saves to keep Brasil's advantage, but Luis Diaz's
brace, in the 74th and 78th minutes, sealed the comeback and gave Colombia its
deserved win.

These days have been a rollercoaster ride for Luis Diaz. His father, Mane
Diaz, had been kidnapped and was released about a week ago, in time to go
to the stadium and watch his son lead his team to a historic victory over
Brasil.

Argentina 0-2 Uruguay

A clinical performance by Uruguay at La Bombonera, in Buenos Aires, that
was successful in shutting off Argentina. In the 41st minute, Viña and
Molina exchanged successive challenges against each other down the left
wing. Viña eventually prevailed and found the space to cross into the
penalty area, for a successful finish by Ronald Araujo. And at the end of
the game, as Messi tried to dribble his way through the Celeste defense,
he was disarmed and, three touches later, Darwin Nuñez pulled the counter
attack, outpacing Otamendi down the pitch. Then, mano-a-mano with Martínez,
he first faked a shot and then fired it under the keeper's legs to finish
off the hosts.

Argentina didn't create as many chances as they usually do. They did come
close to equalizing on a free kick by Messi, which hit the bar at Rochet's
upper left corner. Argentina had a couple more opportunities, but the
Uruguayan keeper was there to stop them.

Some landmarks here as well: This was Lionel Scaloni's first ever WCQ loss
as Argentina manager, as well as Uruguay's first ever WCQ victory over
Argentina as visitors. Overall, this was Argentina's 5th ever WCQ home loss..

Also, it appears that with this result, Uruguay are now the holders of the
Unofficial Football World Championship.

https://www.ufwc.co.uk/

The site's last update was the 2022 World Cup final, but this was Argentina's
first loss since. Their (UFWC) twitter profile, though, shared the news, which
I thought might be of interest to rss.

Chile 0-0 Paraguay

Honours even at Estadio Monumental de Santiago. A fair result, as both teams
created some scoring chances, but failed to capitalize on them. Paraguay had
Robert Rojas being sent off at the end of the first half, thus opening space
for Chile to make most of the play in the second. However, they didn't make
it count and even saw Victor Mendez earn a red card as well in the end of the
game. A frustrating result for both sides, neither of which seemed to deserve
better.

Table [points, games, w-d-l, gs-gc, gd, (mi = media inglese)]

1 Argentina 12 5 4 0 1 7-2 7+ (mi = +1)
2 Uruguay 10 5 3 1 1 10-5 5+ (mi = +1)
3 Colombia 9 5 2 3 0 5-3 2+ (mi = -2)
4 Venezuela 8 5 2 2 1 5-2 3+ (mi = -3)
5 Brasil 7 5 2 1 2 8-6 2+ (mi = -2)
6 Ecuador 5 5 2 2 1 4-3 1+ (mi = -1) (-3 points penalty)
-----------------------------
7 Paraguay 5 5 1 2 2 1-2 1- (mi = -4)
-----------------------------
8 Chile 5 5 1 2 2 3-6 3- (mi -6)
9 Bolivia 3 5 1 0 4 4-11 7- (mi -8)
10 Peru 1 5 0 1 4 0-7 7- (mi -8)

Next round to be played on November 21st. In brackets below, the results of
these games in the WCQ cycles of 2022/2018/2014/2010/2006/2002/1998 (all the
round robin ones so far):

Paraguay - Colombia (1-1, 0-1, 1-2, 0-2, 0-1, 0-4, 2-1)

Past results make this one look predictable enough: Paraguay's last home win
over Colombia was in the 20th century. And although three of Colombia's wins
since were meaningless Round 18 clashes, that wasn't the case with the more
recent ones. Plus, Colombia is the only unbeaten team remaining in this cycle,
and are coming from a morale boosting victory over Brasil, while Paraguay is
as mediocre as they've been for a while. I don't see a blowout at Defensores
del Chaco, in Asuncion, but Colombia could definitely pull a 0-1 win. In
soph-terms: Paraguay 0.20, draw 0.30, Colombia 0.50.

Uruguay - Bolivia (4-2, 4-2, 4-2, 5-0, 5-0, 1-0, 1-0)

Uruguay is on a roll, coming from two victories over their two main rivals
and facing the continent's weakest team (and historical weakest visitor) at
El Centenario, Montevideo. Can't envision anything other than a Celeste victory
on this one, say, 3-0. In soph-terms: Uruguay 0.95, draw 0.05, Bolivia zero..

Ecuador - Chile (0-0, 3-0, 3-1, 1-0, 2-0, 1-0, 1-1)

Ecuador has the better side and plays at the altitude of Quito, in Estadio
Casa Blanca. They're on a decent run, indeed they'd be ahead of Brasil if
not for the points penalty. Chile has been poor, might pull out a brave display,
but I think this is Ecuador's to lose. I'll call a 2-0 win for the hosts. In
soph-terms: Ecuador 0.60, draw 0.30, Chile 0.10.

Brasil - Argentina (n/a, 3-0, n/a, 0-0, 3-1, 3-1, n/a)

An interesting, up for grabs Superclasico at Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro. Brasil
has never lost a home WCQ game, but they've been sailing through troubled waters
in this cycle, coming from an unprecedented two losses in a row, missing Neymar
and Casemiro and playing really unconvincing football. This is a huge contrast
to their rivals, who are incumbent world and continental champions, have a
motivated all-time great playing as their #10 and are in great form and with
lots of confidence.

I don't think I can remember a Brasil vs Argentina in which the scales ever
seemed so tipped in Argentina's favor. Plus, their 2021 victory at Maracanã
not only did wonders to boost the albiceleste's confidence on their path
towards World Cup success; it also means they now know that Brasil vs Argentina,
in Brasil, no longer needs to be a win for the hosts or a draw. They achieved
their dream of lifting a trophy at Maracanã, and now smell the opportunity to
break Brasil's historical WCQ home invincibility.

So, it would seem Brasil's record is at real risk now, there's a lot at stake
from the historic rivalry's point of view. The only thing that remains to be
seen is how Argentina will react to the sucker punch they just took from their
neighbors across Rio de la Plata, which I think might be a mere a bump on the
road. Still, a derby is a derby is a derby, who knows what is to come. I'll call
it a 1-1 draw, with a slight edge to the visitors. In soph-terms: Brasil 0.30,
draw 0.35, Argentina 0.35.

Peru - Venezuela (1-0, 2-2, 2-1, 1-0, 0-0, 1-0, 4-1)

Usually Peru would have the edge on this one. But they've been so poor so far,
while Venezuela has actually been decent. Venezuela's last away victory was
against Paraguay, in Round 18 of WC 2018's qualifying cycle. Since then, their
WCQ away record is 11 games, 10 losses and 1 draw (against Brasil last month...).
Regardless, I think we might see the visitors walking off from this one with
the three points. My call for this one is Peru 0-1 Venezuela. In soph-terms:
Peru 0.25, draw 0.35, Venezuela 0.40.

Best regards,

Lléo

Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 5

<c0d563ff-4d51-4c9c-b512-9ecef8d27167n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=16331&group=rec.sport.soccer#16331

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 04:48:45 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 5
From: wpichler@gmail.com (Werner Pichler)
 by: Werner Pichler - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 12:48 UTC

On Friday, November 17, 2023 at 8:38:30 PM UTC+1, Lléo wrote:
> This was a rather interesting round in Conmebol WCQ. Two managers making their
> debut; a records holding player on his farewell game for his country; a player
> scoring a brace and leading his team to a landmark victory, with his father,
> recently released from captivity, watching from the stands; and the Unofficial
> Football World Championship changing hands at the continent's oldest derby.
> Not bad for a Thursday, I'd say.
>
> Bolivia 2-0 Peru
>
> One cycle closed and another one began on this match, at Estadio Hernando
> Siles, in La Paz. This was Marcelo Moreno's 106th and last game for Bolivia.
> He is the holder of the records of most appearances and most goals too (31)
> wearing La Verde, on an international career that began on September 12th,
> 2007, in a friendly also against Peru.
>
> On the other hand, this was also the debut of Antonio Carlos Zago as manager
> of Bolivia. A successful defender on his club days,

I only remember him as a Roma player back when I started to pay attention to Serie A football,
had no idea he became a manager.

> always on the periphery of the Brazilian national team (he was called up
> for two Copa Americas, 1993 and 1999, and a handful of WCQ's), his
> managerial career is a bit all over the place, with a couple of big clubs here
> and there, but overall peppered with journeyman sides. This is his first
> experience with a national team.
>
> And it seemed to start off with the right foot. Goals by Henry Vaca (19th
> minute) and Ramiro Vaca (87th) finished off a poor Peruvian side, which is
> yet to even score in this qualifying cycle.
>
> Venezuela 0-0 Ecuador
>
> Not a very rocking game at Estadio Monumental de Maturín, as Venezuela and
> Ecuador hold each other to a goalless draw. A bit of an even game from what
> I could grasp from highlights. Another manager had his debut on this game
> too, Felix Sanchez, who was manager of Qatar in World Cup 2022 and is now
> at Ecuador's helm.

Venezuela ahead of Brazil in the standings though after five matches.

That would have been a worthwhile bet. :)

> Colombia 2-1 Brasil
>
> An eventful night at Estadio Metropolitano de Barranquilla, as Colombia pulls
> off its first ever win over Brasil in a World Cup Qualifier (and 4th in the
> overall record, the others having been in 1985, 1991 and 2015). This was also
> the first time Brasil ever lost two WCQ's in a row.

I had wondered!

> Brasil seemed to start off in full throttle and, on an assist by Vinicius
> Junior, Martinelli scored the opener in the 3rd minute. But Colombia steadily
> built its way back into the match and soon was the better side on the pitch.
> Alisson made a handful of good saves to keep Brasil's advantage, but Luis Diaz's
> brace, in the 74th and 78th minutes, sealed the comeback and gave Colombia its
> deserved win.
>
> These days have been a rollercoaster ride for Luis Diaz. His father, Mane
> Diaz, had been kidnapped and was released about a week ago, in time to go
> to the stadium and watch his son lead his team to a historic victory over
> Brasil.
>
> Argentina 0-2 Uruguay
>
> A clinical performance by Uruguay at La Bombonera, in Buenos Aires, that
> was successful in shutting off Argentina. In the 41st minute, Viña and
> Molina exchanged successive challenges against each other down the left
> wing. Viña eventually prevailed and found the space to cross into the
> penalty area, for a successful finish by Ronald Araujo. And at the end of
> the game, as Messi tried to dribble his way through the Celeste defense,
> he was disarmed and, three touches later, Darwin Nuñez pulled the counter
> attack, outpacing Otamendi down the pitch. Then, mano-a-mano with Martínez,
> he first faked a shot and then fired it under the keeper's legs to finish
> off the hosts.
>
> Argentina didn't create as many chances as they usually do. They did come
> close to equalizing on a free kick by Messi, which hit the bar at Rochet's
> upper left corner. Argentina had a couple more opportunities, but the
> Uruguayan keeper was there to stop them.
>
> Some landmarks here as well: This was Lionel Scaloni's first ever WCQ loss
> as Argentina manager, as well as Uruguay's first ever WCQ victory over
> Argentina as visitors. Overall, this was Argentina's 5th ever WCQ home loss.
>
> Also, it appears that with this result, Uruguay are now the holders of the
> Unofficial Football World Championship.
>
> https://www.ufwc.co.uk/
>
> The site's last update was the 2022 World Cup final, but this was Argentina's
> first loss since. Their (UFWC) twitter profile, though, shared the news, which
> I thought might be of interest to rss.

It is! Their twitter account also shared the interesting fact that Uruguay robbed
Argentina of the title one game before the latter would have caught up with England
as #2 overall.

> Chile 0-0 Paraguay
>
> Honours even at Estadio Monumental de Santiago. A fair result, as both teams
> created some scoring chances, but failed to capitalize on them. Paraguay had
> Robert Rojas being sent off at the end of the first half, thus opening space
> for Chile to make most of the play in the second. However, they didn't make
> it count and even saw Victor Mendez earn a red card as well in the end of the
> game. A frustrating result for both sides, neither of which seemed to deserve
> better.
>

> Table [points, games, w-d-l, gs-gc, gd, (mi = media inglese)]
>
> 1 Argentina 12 5 4 0 1 7-2 7+ (mi = +1)
> 2 Uruguay 10 5 3 1 1 10-5 5+ (mi = +1)
> 3 Colombia 9 5 2 3 0 5-3 2+ (mi = -2)
> 4 Venezuela 8 5 2 2 1 5-2 3+ (mi = -3)
> 5 Brasil 7 5 2 1 2 8-6 2+ (mi = -2)
> 6 Ecuador 5 5 2 2 1 4-3 1+ (mi = -1) (-3 points penalty)
> -----------------------------
> 7 Paraguay 5 5 1 2 2 1-2 1- (mi = -4)
> -----------------------------
> 8 Chile 5 5 1 2 2 3-6 3- (mi -6)
> 9 Bolivia 3 5 1 0 4 4-11 7- (mi -8)
> 10 Peru 1 5 0 1 4 0-7 7- (mi -8)

Thanks for these write-ups!

Ciao,
Werner

Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 5

<f4ed48c2-d44f-4852-b451-4130085ccd11n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=16336&group=rec.sport.soccer#16336

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 22:04:06 -0800 (PST)
From: llb.moura@gmail.com (Lléo)
 by: Lléo - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 06:04 UTC

Werner Pichler escreveu:
> On Friday, November 17, 2023 at 8:38:30 PM UTC+1, Lléo wrote:
> > Bolivia 2-0 Peru
> >
> > One cycle closed and another one began on this match, at Estadio Hernando
> > Siles, in La Paz. This was Marcelo Moreno's 106th and last game for Bolivia.
> > He is the holder of the records of most appearances and most goals too (31)
> > wearing La Verde, on an international career that began on September 12th,
> > 2007, in a friendly also against Peru.
> >
> > On the other hand, this was also the debut of Antonio Carlos Zago as manager
> > of Bolivia. A successful defender on his club days,
>
> I only remember him as a Roma player back when I started to pay attention to
> Serie A football, had no idea he became a manager.

My recollections of him are mostly from his Palmeiras days, but I remember
his time at Roma as well. I didn't recall that he was there in their scudetto
winning season, though.

> > Venezuela 0-0 Ecuador
> >
> > Not a very rocking game at Estadio Monumental de Maturín, as Venezuela and
> > Ecuador hold each other to a goalless draw. A bit of an even game from what
> > I could grasp from highlights. Another manager had his debut on this game
> > too, Felix Sanchez, who was manager of Qatar in World Cup 2022 and is now
> > at Ecuador's helm.
>
> Venezuela ahead of Brazil in the standings though after five matches.
>
> That would have been a worthwhile bet. :)

Indeed, who could see it coming. For reference, they finished the 2022 cycle
with 10 points, and 2018 with 12. Now, 8 in 5 games. I wonder what happened,
since this isn't a too different squad from the previous ones.

> > Colombia 2-1 Brasil
> >
> > An eventful night at Estadio Metropolitano de Barranquilla, as Colombia pulls
> > off its first ever win over Brasil in a World Cup Qualifier (and 4th in the
> > overall record, the others having been in 1985, 1991 and 2015). This was also
> > the first time Brasil ever lost two WCQ's in a row.
>
> I had wondered!

I didn't know about that one, was caught a bit surprised when they mentioned it
on TV. I just figured this must have happened sometime, especially in the 2002
cycle, in which Brasil had losses to Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile, Ecuador
and Bolivia. You'd think maybe a couple of these losses came in consecutive rounds,
but no.

> > Argentina 0-2 Uruguay
> > [SNIP]
> > Also, it appears that with this result, Uruguay are now the holders of the
> > Unofficial Football World Championship.
> >
> > https://www.ufwc.co.uk/
> >
> > The site's last update was the 2022 World Cup final, but this was Argentina's
> > first loss since. Their (UFWC) twitter profile, though, shared the news, which
> > I thought might be of interest to rss.
>
> It is! Their twitter account also shared the interesting fact that Uruguay robbed
> Argentina of the title one game before the latter would have caught up with England
> as #2 overall.

Indeed. And see, had Uruguay not done it, Argentina would have had the opportunity
to get past one hated rival (England) by avoiding a loss against another (Brasil)
at Maracanã. La Celeste yet again throws a spanner in their bigger neighbor's works.

Given Uruguay plays Bolivia at home next, I think it's a bit of a safe bet that
they'll catch up with Sweden's 28 wins in 10th place. Beyond that, the WCQ will
only return after Copa America (June/July 2024). I guess Uruguay will play some
friendlies in preparation, though. If they successfully defend it through these,
it'll be a nice touch to have it up for grabs in Copa America.

[SNIP]
> > Table [points, games, w-d-l, gs-gc, gd, (mi = media inglese)]
> >
> > 1 Argentina 12 5 4 0 1 7-2 7+ (mi = +1)
> > 2 Uruguay 10 5 3 1 1 10-5 5+ (mi = +1)
> > 3 Colombia 9 5 2 3 0 5-3 2+ (mi = -2)
> > 4 Venezuela 8 5 2 2 1 5-2 3+ (mi = -3)
> > 5 Brasil 7 5 2 1 2 8-6 2+ (mi = -2)
> > 6 Ecuador 5 5 2 2 1 4-3 1+ (mi = -1) (-3 points penalty)
> > -----------------------------
> > 7 Paraguay 5 5 1 2 2 1-2 1- (mi = -4)
> > -----------------------------
> > 8 Chile 5 5 1 2 2 3-6 3- (mi -6)
> > 9 Bolivia 3 5 1 0 4 4-11 7- (mi -8)
> > 10 Peru 1 5 0 1 4 0-7 7- (mi -8)
>
> Thanks for these write-ups!

Thanks!

Best regards,

Lléo

Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 5

<1d8ce4fb-aff9-4147-b376-66b2502c97ccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=16353&group=rec.sport.soccer#16353

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 02:16:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Pammiesheart@yahoo.co.uk (Mark)
 by: Mark - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 10:16 UTC

On Friday, November 17, 2023 at 7:38:30 PM UTC, Lléo wrote:
Overall, this was Argentina's 5th ever WCQ home loss.

What were they? I remember 5-0 against Colombia in the qualifiers for 1994, 3-1 against Brazil, I think that was 2010; then there was a 1-0 defeat against Ecuador 2018 I think. I'm struggling to think what the other 2 were.

> Next round to be played on November 21st. In brackets below, the results of
> these games in the WCQ cycles of 2022/2018/2014/2010/2006/2002/1998 (all the
> round robin ones so far):

Let's have a go at some predictions then.

> Paraguay - Colombia (1-1, 0-1, 1-2, 0-2, 0-1, 0-4, 2-1)
>
> Past results make this one look predictable enough: Paraguay's last home win
> over Colombia was in the 20th century. And although three of Colombia's wins
> since were meaningless Round 18 clashes, that wasn't the case with the more
> recent ones. Plus, Colombia is the only unbeaten team remaining in this cycle,
> and are coming from a morale boosting victory over Brasil, while Paraguay is
> as mediocre as they've been for a while. I don't see a blowout at Defensores
> del Chaco, in Asuncion, but Colombia could definitely pull a 0-1 win. In
> soph-terms: Paraguay 0.20, draw 0.30, Colombia 0.50.

0-2

> Uruguay - Bolivia (4-2, 4-2, 4-2, 5-0, 5-0, 1-0, 1-0)
>
> Uruguay is on a roll, coming from two victories over their two main rivals
> and facing the continent's weakest team (and historical weakest visitor) at
> El Centenario, Montevideo. Can't envision anything other than a Celeste victory
> on this one, say, 3-0. In soph-terms: Uruguay 0.95, draw 0.05, Bolivia zero.

4-0

> Ecuador - Chile (0-0, 3-0, 3-1, 1-0, 2-0, 1-0, 1-1)
>
> Ecuador has the better side and plays at the altitude of Quito, in Estadio
> Casa Blanca. They're on a decent run, indeed they'd be ahead of Brasil if
> not for the points penalty. Chile has been poor, might pull out a brave display,
> but I think this is Ecuador's to lose. I'll call a 2-0 win for the hosts. In
> soph-terms: Ecuador 0.60, draw 0.30, Chile 0.10.

2-1

> Brasil - Argentina (n/a, 3-0, n/a, 0-0, 3-1, 3-1, n/a)
>
> An interesting, up for grabs Superclasico at Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro. Brasil
> has never lost a home WCQ game, but they've been sailing through troubled waters
> in this cycle, coming from an unprecedented two losses in a row, missing Neymar
> and Casemiro and playing really unconvincing football. This is a huge contrast
> to their rivals, who are incumbent world and continental champions, have a
> motivated all-time great playing as their #10 and are in great form and with
> lots of confidence.
>
> I don't think I can remember a Brasil vs Argentina in which the scales ever
> seemed so tipped in Argentina's favor. Plus, their 2021 victory at Maracanã
> not only did wonders to boost the albiceleste's confidence on their path
> towards World Cup success; it also means they now know that Brasil vs Argentina,
> in Brasil, no longer needs to be a win for the hosts or a draw. They achieved
> their dream of lifting a trophy at Maracanã, and now smell the opportunity to
> break Brasil's historical WCQ home invincibility.
>
> So, it would seem Brasil's record is at real risk now, there's a lot at stake
> from the historic rivalry's point of view. The only thing that remains to be
> seen is how Argentina will react to the sucker punch they just took from their
> neighbors across Rio de la Plata, which I think might be a mere a bump on the
> road. Still, a derby is a derby is a derby, who knows what is to come. I'll call
> it a 1-1 draw, with a slight edge to the visitors. In soph-terms: Brasil 0.30,
> draw 0.35, Argentina 0.35.

This one's difficult to predict. I'll go for a 1-1 draw aswell.

> Peru - Venezuela (1-0, 2-2, 2-1, 1-0, 0-0, 1-0, 4-1)
>
> Usually Peru would have the edge on this one. But they've been so poor so far,
> while Venezuela has actually been decent. Venezuela's last away victory was
> against Paraguay, in Round 18 of WC 2018's qualifying cycle. Since then, their
> WCQ away record is 11 games, 10 losses and 1 draw (against Brasil last month...).
> Regardless, I think we might see the visitors walking off from this one with
> the three points. My call for this one is Peru 0-1 Venezuela. In soph-terms:
> Peru 0.25, draw 0.35, Venezuela 0.40.

If Venezuela can draw away against Brazil, they should be able to win away against Peru. 1-2

Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 5

<23dcbe6c-9ce3-4bfb-a77e-761d926e42edn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=16399&group=rec.sport.soccer#16399

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 08:30:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Pammiesheart@yahoo.co.uk (Mark)
 by: Mark - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 16:30 UTC

On Tuesday, November 21, 2023 at 10:16:20 AM UTC, Mark wrote:
> On Friday, November 17, 2023 at 7:38:30 PM UTC, Lléo wrote:
> Overall, this was Argentina's 5th ever WCQ home loss.
> >
> What were they? I remember 5-0 against Colombia in the qualifiers for 1994, 3-1 against Brazil, I think that was 2010; then there was a 1-0 defeat against Ecuador 2018 I think. I'm struggling to think what the other 2 were.
> > Next round to be played on November 21st. In brackets below, the results of
> > these games in the WCQ cycles of 2022/2018/2014/2010/2006/2002/1998 (all the
> > round robin ones so far):
> Let's have a go at some predictions then.
> >
> > Paraguay - Colombia (1-1, 0-1, 1-2, 0-2, 0-1, 0-4, 2-1)
> >
> > Past results make this one look predictable enough: Paraguay's last home win
> > over Colombia was in the 20th century. And although three of Colombia's wins
> > since were meaningless Round 18 clashes, that wasn't the case with the more
> > recent ones. Plus, Colombia is the only unbeaten team remaining in this cycle,
> > and are coming from a morale boosting victory over Brasil, while Paraguay is
> > as mediocre as they've been for a while. I don't see a blowout at Defensores
> > del Chaco, in Asuncion, but Colombia could definitely pull a 0-1 win. In
> > soph-terms: Paraguay 0.20, draw 0.30, Colombia 0.50.
> 0-2

Lleo 100 points
Mark 85 points

> > Uruguay - Bolivia (4-2, 4-2, 4-2, 5-0, 5-0, 1-0, 1-0)
> >
> > Uruguay is on a roll, coming from two victories over their two main rivals
> > and facing the continent's weakest team (and historical weakest visitor) at
> > El Centenario, Montevideo. Can't envision anything other than a Celeste victory
> > on this one, say, 3-0. In soph-terms: Uruguay 0.95, draw 0.05, Bolivia zero.
> 4-0

Lleo 100
Mark 85

> > Ecuador - Chile (0-0, 3-0, 3-1, 1-0, 2-0, 1-0, 1-1)
> >
> > Ecuador has the better side and plays at the altitude of Quito, in Estadio
> > Casa Blanca. They're on a decent run, indeed they'd be ahead of Brasil if
> > not for the points penalty. Chile has been poor, might pull out a brave display,
> > but I think this is Ecuador's to lose. I'll call a 2-0 win for the hosts. In
> > soph-terms: Ecuador 0.60, draw 0.30, Chile 0.10.
> 2-1

Lleo 85
Mark 90

> > Brasil - Argentina (n/a, 3-0, n/a, 0-0, 3-1, 3-1, n/a)
> >
> > An interesting, up for grabs Superclasico at Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro. Brasil
> > has never lost a home WCQ game, but they've been sailing through troubled waters
> > in this cycle, coming from an unprecedented two losses in a row, missing Neymar
> > and Casemiro and playing really unconvincing football. This is a huge contrast
> > to their rivals, who are incumbent world and continental champions, have a
> > motivated all-time great playing as their #10 and are in great form and with
> > lots of confidence.
> >
> > I don't think I can remember a Brasil vs Argentina in which the scales ever
> > seemed so tipped in Argentina's favor. Plus, their 2021 victory at Maracanã
> > not only did wonders to boost the albiceleste's confidence on their path
> > towards World Cup success; it also means they now know that Brasil vs Argentina,
> > in Brasil, no longer needs to be a win for the hosts or a draw. They achieved
> > their dream of lifting a trophy at Maracanã, and now smell the opportunity to
> > break Brasil's historical WCQ home invincibility.
> >
> > So, it would seem Brasil's record is at real risk now, there's a lot at stake
> > from the historic rivalry's point of view. The only thing that remains to be
> > seen is how Argentina will react to the sucker punch they just took from their
> > neighbors across Rio de la Plata, which I think might be a mere a bump on the
> > road. Still, a derby is a derby is a derby, who knows what is to come. I'll call
> > it a 1-1 draw, with a slight edge to the visitors. In soph-terms: Brasil 0.30,
> > draw 0.35, Argentina 0.35.
> This one's difficult to predict. I'll go for a 1-1 draw aswell.

Lleo 30
Mark 30

> > Peru - Venezuela (1-0, 2-2, 2-1, 1-0, 0-0, 1-0, 4-1)
> >
> > Usually Peru would have the edge on this one. But they've been so poor so far,
> > while Venezuela has actually been decent. Venezuela's last away victory was
> > against Paraguay, in Round 18 of WC 2018's qualifying cycle. Since then, their
> > WCQ away record is 11 games, 10 losses and 1 draw (against Brasil last month...).
> > Regardless, I think we might see the visitors walking off from this one with
> > the three points. My call for this one is Peru 0-1 Venezuela. In soph-terms:
> > Peru 0.25, draw 0.35, Venezuela 0.40.
> >
> If Venezuela can draw away against Brazil, they should be able to win away against Peru. 1-2

Lleo 30
Mark 30

Totals:
Lleo 345
Mark 320

We both did quite well.

Re: (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 5

<uvq0i4$21m6v$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18441&group=rec.sport.soccer#18441

From: llb.moura@gmail.com (Lléo)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 23:29:35 -0300
 by: Lléo - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 02:29 UTC

On 20/11/2023 03:04, Lléo wrote:
>>> Argentina 0-2 Uruguay
>>> [SNIP]
>>> Also, it appears that with this result, Uruguay are now the holders of the
>>> Unofficial Football World Championship.
>>>
>>> https://www.ufwc.co.uk/
>>>
>>> The site's last update was the 2022 World Cup final, but this was Argentina's
>>> first loss since. Their (UFWC) twitter profile, though, shared the news, which
>>> I thought might be of interest to rss.
>>
>> It is! Their twitter account also shared the interesting fact that Uruguay robbed
>> Argentina of the title one game before the latter would have caught up with England
>> as #2 overall.
>

> Indeed. And see, had Uruguay not done it, Argentina would have had the opportunity
> to get past one hated rival (England) by avoiding a loss against another (Brasil)
> at Maracanã. La Celeste yet again throws a spanner in their bigger neighbor's works.
>
> Given Uruguay plays Bolivia at home next, I think it's a bit of a safe bet that
> they'll catch up with Sweden's 28 wins in 10th place. Beyond that, the WCQ will
> only return after Copa America (June/July 2024). I guess Uruguay will play some
> friendlies in preparation, though. If they successfully defend it through these,
> it'll be a nice touch to have it up for grabs in Copa America.

A bit late on this, but no, we won't have the UFWC being put up for
grabs at Copa America. It is now in the hands of the African Champions
Ivory Coast, who beat Uruguay 2-1 on March, 26th.

This is their first ever UFWC win, which brings the cup back to Africa
after 18 years, 4 months and 10 days, and they are the fourth African
side to win it, beyond Angola (7 wins), Zimbabwe (7 wins) and Nigeria (4
wins). All these three last held the cup in 2005.

Best regards,

Lléo