Teamwork is essential -- it allows you to blame someone else.

sport / rec.sport.soccer / Re: ASIACON 23 R

SubjectAuthor
* ASIACON 23 RBinder Dundat
`* Re: ASIACON 23 RBinder Dundat
 `* Re: ASIACON 23 RBinder Dundat
  +* Re: ASIACON 23 RReal_Mardin
  |`- Re: ASIACON 23 RBlueshirt
  `* Re: ASIACON 23 RMark
   `* Re: ASIACON 23 RBinder Dundat
    `* Re: ASIACON 23 RBinder Dundat
     `* Re: ASIACON 23 RBinder Dundat
      `* Re: ASIACON 23 RBinder Dundat
       `* Re: ASIACON 23 RWerner Pichler
        `* Re: ASIACON 23 RWerner Pichler
         `* Re: ASIACON 23 RWerner Pichler
          `* Re: ASIACON 23 RBinder Dundat
           +* Re: ASIACON 23 RWerner Pichler
           |`* Re: ASIACON 23 RMH
           | `* Re: ASIACON 23 RWerner Pichler
           |  `* Re: ASIACON 23 RBinder Dundat
           |   `* Re: ASIACON 23 RMark
           |    `- Re: ASIACON 23 RBlueshirt
           `* Re: ASIACON 23 RWerner Pichler
            `* Re: ASIACON 23 RBinder Dundat
             +- Re: ASIACON 23 RMark
             `- Re: ASIACON 23 RHASM

1
ASIACON 23 R

<untv0u$3u7aa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17225&group=rec.sport.soccer#17225

From: dundat@mail.com (Binder Dundat)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Subject: ASIACON 23 R
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 07:17:34 -0500
 by: Binder Dundat - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 12:17 UTC

First of all, how does Qatar get to host this, right after hosting the
WM? If Germany for example hosted a WC and then was giv en the EURo's,
you know Europe would be up in arms! IS Qatar even a country? Seems
like some man made place in the sand, give it to a proper Footballing
country like India, they even have a SUperliga, or at least did. Do
they still have that liga? I seem to recall them signing a bunch of big
name players for what was something like an 8 game season, many years ago.

Speaking of India, they are playing Australia today in the Cricket Derby
match
0-0 at the moment in the 1st half. This is all early morning stuff for
those of us living on the Iceberg ( big snow storm today by the way
here, we have not had much snow yet this season, I think MH and the DOc,
who are also on this tiny Iceberg are getting super cold weather?)

So anyhow, back to the football. Interesting to note that they got
chick refs in ASIACON, I think women do a far better job than men in
almost anything, far more fair and conscientious beings than most men.
They also have Japanese VARobots, Japanese make the best Robots.
English make the worst Robots, they make the worst everything really.
If you watch the WWEpl, the matches are almost always about the VAR, the
matches in WWEpl are secondary, it is all about the drama of the VAR
decisions. I can just see in a few years, WWEpl matches will be a split
screen of the two managers, with a tinly little window in the corner of
the screen showing the actual football match and it iwll not go to full
screen until a VAR decision si being made and then of course the idiot
commentators will go on about the shocking decision made by VAR.

And what is with the idiot Limey commentators and "Centre Halves" do
they even know what they are talking about? Do they know why the idiots
actually called it Centre Half instead of Centre Back?? Incorrectly I
might add, unless we are living in 1920. Also why is every second
statement started with "If I am to be honest"? I was watching a lot of
FA cup and WWEpl during the holiday break and if I am to be honest,
every second statemnt was started with "If I am to be Honest" does it
mean the rest of the shit they spew is not honest? Like for example how
they call central defenders Centre halfs? Which they are not. Or how
they just want to call out every VAR call, even if they have no clue
what is a foul or not. Or even if they can not tell when a chance is a
"sitter" or a difficult chance. I can tell you the difference, if it is
a Non ENglish player missing the chance it was a Sitter, if it is an
Englishman, if I am to be honest it was a terribly difficult chance for
the Centre half.

So anyhow, ASIACON, not sure why they are bothering, Japan or S Korea
will win this, Qatar may as well disassemble the stadiums and send them
off to Ivory Coast where they could be put to good use. I mean come on,
ASIA does not know football, they are all WWEpl fans and actuall WWE
fans, that is all I see on SONY Sports.

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<9b5057b6-17b4-4bc8-b103-e009d256ca07n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17227&group=rec.sport.soccer#17227

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 04:25:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: ASIACON 23 R
From: dundat@gmail.com (Binder Dundat)
 by: Binder Dundat - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 12:25 UTC

HUh, I can see my post on GG.

0-0 at the half and if I am to be honest, India is doing quite well. Or if I was to be like a WWEpl commentator Australia is doing poorly...if I was to be honest but I chose not to.

BTW, in Kanada the matches are on for free on YOUTUBE.

<unu75q$3vc4j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17233&group=rec.sport.soccer#17233

From: dundat@mail.com (Binder Dundat)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 09:36:44 -0500
 by: Binder Dundat - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 14:36 UTC

Relatively easy win for the Aussies in the Cricket Derby 2-0.

Too early yet to project Australia as ASIACON champions. I know how
sophisticated our projection machine is but it needs more info than just
one game!

On 2024-01-13 7:25 a.m., Binder Dundat wrote:
> [...]
>> mean the rest of the shit they spew is not honest? Like for example how
>> they call central defenders Centre halfs? Which they are not. Or how
>> they just want to call out every VAR call, even if they have no clue
>> what is a foul or not. Or even if they can not tell when a chance is a
>> "sitter" or a difficult chance. I can tell you the difference, if it is
>> a Non ENglish player missing the chance it was a Sitter, if it is an
>> Englishman, if I am to be honest it was a terribly difficult chance for
>> the Centre half.
>>
>> So anyhow, ASIACON, not sure why they are bothering, Japan or S Korea
>> will win this, Qatar may as well disassemble the stadiums and send them
>> off to Ivory Coast where they could be put to good use. I mean come on,
>> ASIA does not know football, they are all WWEpl fans and actuall WWE

<eea8e7fd4893d79d2d65e69fe2e2af41@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17234&group=rec.sport.soccer#17234

From: realmardinrss@proton.me (Real_Mardin)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 15:57:18 +0000
 by: Real_Mardin - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 15:57 UTC

I'm there with you in spirit, but sadly in the UK this is being broadcast on a streaming service I'd never heard of before.

What you used to be able to watch with a subscription to Sky and BT Sports (as it was called then) you now need those two, Viaplay, Amazon Prime and about three or four other streaming services. Unfortunately the way football broadcast rights are sold creates a paradox where more providers eventually actually becomes a bad thing for the consumer.

RM

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<nnd$68cc80fc$4a676a76@36af38f06eabba0f>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17239&group=rec.sport.soccer#17239

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 18:32:07 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 17:32 UTC

Real_Mardin wrote:

> Unfortunately the way football broadcast rights are sold creates a
> paradox where more providers eventually actually becomes a bad
> thing for the consumer.

Correct.

With Premier League TV rights the European Commission brought in
rules to "protect the consumer" and embrace "competition" which
effectively stopped Sky Sports from buying all of the available
packages. (Previously Sky had exclusive rights to live games in the
UK as no rival broadcasters could out-bid them.) The EC said
exclusive rights was anti-competitive. So in 2023/24 to watch all of
the broadcast live Premier League games in the UK you need THREE
subscriptions, Sky Sports, TNT Sports and Amazon Prime. That's really
helping the consumer isn't it?

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<99982799244e162292f3180c59fe2485@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17251&group=rec.sport.soccer#17251

From: pammiesheart@yahoo.co.uk (Mark)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 11:37:59 +0000
 by: Mark - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 11:37 UTC

Binder Dundat wrote:

> Relatively easy win for the Aussies in the Cricket Derby 2-0.

So Australia only scored 2 runs in their 2nd innings, and still won?! :-)

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<uocgo4$2q9gm$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17388&group=rec.sport.soccer#17388

From: dundat@mail.com (Binder Dundat)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 19:45:56 -0500
 by: Binder Dundat - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 00:45 UTC

Meanwhile in ASIACON, Palestine has a team and they actually got a point
vs UAE. It is just too bad Israel know longer plays in Asia.

WE are projecting Australia, Japan or S Korea to win. WE are not buying
into Qatar.

On 2024-01-14 6:37 a.m., Mark wrote:
> Binder Dundat wrote:
>
>> Relatively easy win for the Aussies in the Cricket Derby 2-0.
>
> So Australia only scored 2 runs in their 2nd innings, and still won?! :-)

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<uoed6b$3877e$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17395&group=rec.sport.soccer#17395

From: dundat@mail.com (Binder Dundat)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 12:57:30 -0500
 by: Binder Dundat - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 17:57 UTC

On 2024-01-18 7:45 p.m., Binder Dundat wrote:
> Meanwhile in ASIACON, Palestine has a team and they actually got a point
> vs UAE.  It is just too bad Israel know longer plays in Asia.
>
> WE are projecting Australia, Japan or S Korea to win.  WE are not buying
> into Qatar.

The Projection machine may need re-calibration.

> On 2024-01-14 6:37 a.m., Mark wrote:
>> Binder Dundat wrote:
>>
>>> Relatively easy win for the Aussies in the Cricket Derby 2-0.
>>
>> So Australia only scored 2 runs in their 2nd innings, and still won?! :-)

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<uogg9f$3m80g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17409&group=rec.sport.soccer#17409

From: dundat@mail.com (Binder Dundat)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 08:02:41 -0500
 by: Binder Dundat - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 13:02 UTC

Wait a min...whaaat Jordan leading S korea 2-1???

Wait again, whaaat Jurgen Klinsmann is the South Korea manager?????

On 2024-01-19 12:57 p.m., Binder Dundat wrote:
> On 2024-01-18 7:45 p.m., Binder Dundat wrote:
>> Meanwhile in ASIACON, Palestine has a team and they actually got a
>> point vs UAE.  It is just too bad Israel know longer plays in Asia.
>>
>> WE are projecting Australia, Japan or S Korea to win.  WE are not
>> buying into Qatar.
>>

> The Projection machine may need re-calibration.

>>> So Australia only scored 2 runs in their 2nd innings, and still won?!
>>> :-)

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<uogj35$3mlim$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17410&group=rec.sport.soccer#17410

From: dundat@mail.com (Binder Dundat)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 08:50:30 -0500
 by: Binder Dundat - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 13:50 UTC

Wiat, whaaat, there is a thing called K-Pop and it is really popular????
I do seem to recall that Korean guy with the horse song or whatever it
was years ago.

Anyhow, S Korea k poped in a goal and came away with a 2-2 draw, Jordan
was good value for the point and maybe more. Kilinsmann doesnt look
like he wanted to be there or that he cares that much, when Koreea tied
the match up it was kinda like he was watching a kids game the way he
celebrated, you know not like a Klopp celebration.

Projection machines mean nothing in ASIACON.

On 2024-01-20 8:02 a.m., Binder Dundat wrote:
> Wait a min...whaaat Jordan leading S korea 2-1???
>

> Wait again, whaaat Jurgen Klinsmann is the South Korea manager?????
>

> On 2024-01-19 12:57 p.m., Binder Dundat wrote:
>> On 2024-01-18 7:45 p.m., Binder Dundat wrote:
>>> Meanwhile in ASIACON, Palestine has a team and they actually got a
>>> point vs UAE.  It is just too bad Israel know longer plays in Asia.
>>>
>>> WE are projecting Australia, Japan or S Korea to win.  WE are not
>>> buying into Qatar.
>>>

>> The Projection machine may need re-calibration.

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<dba27bc8-f9aa-4589-8e96-8cf75f49bd80n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17448&group=rec.sport.soccer#17448

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 13:07:07 -0800 (PST)
From: wpichler@gmail.com (Werner Pichler)
 by: Werner Pichler - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 21:07 UTC

On Saturday, January 20, 2024 at 2:50:32 PM UTC+1, Binder Dundat wrote:
> Wiat, whaaat, there is a thing called K-Pop and it is really popular????
> I do seem to recall that Korean guy with the horse song or whatever it
> was years ago.
>
> Anyhow, S Korea k poped in a goal and came away with a 2-2 draw, Jordan
> was good value for the point and maybe more. Kilinsmann doesnt look
> like he wanted to be there or that he cares that much, when Koreea tied
> the match up it was kinda like he was watching a kids game the way he
> celebrated, you know not like a Klopp celebration.
>
> Projection machines mean nothing in ASIACON.

Projecting China to disappoint appears to yield consistently good results?

Ciao,
Werner

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<up03m7$2pv95$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17520&group=rec.sport.soccer#17520

From: no_email@invalid.invalid (Werner Pichler)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:05:43 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:cNYrQizqQ8l/NRVb4K3e1p0N/Lw=
 by: Werner Pichler - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:05 UTC

Werner Pichler <wpichler@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, January 20, 2024 at 2:50:32 PM UTC+1, Binder Dundat wrote:
>> Wiat, whaaat, there is a thing called K-Pop and it is really popular????
>> I do seem to recall that Korean guy with the horse song or whatever it
>> was years ago.
>>
>> Anyhow, S Korea k poped in a goal and came away with a 2-2 draw, Jordan
>> was good value for the point and maybe more. Kilinsmann doesnt look
>> like he wanted to be there or that he cares that much, when Koreea tied
>> the match up it was kinda like he was watching a kids game the way he
>> celebrated, you know not like a Klopp celebration.
>>
>> Projection machines mean nothing in ASIACON.
>
> Projecting China to disappoint appears to yield consistently good results?

China go out without having scored a single goal.
Truth be told, they were actually quite close to
progressing without having scored a single goal.

Round of 16

Sunday

Australia v Indonesia

Tajikistan v UAE

Monday

Iraq v Jordan

Qatar v Palestine

Tuesday

Uzbekistan v Thailand

Saudi-Arabia v South Korea
(Mancini v Klinsmann)

Wednesday

Bahrain v Japan

Iran v Syria

Ciao,
Werner

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<upbjsk$14dbr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17599&group=rec.sport.soccer#17599

From: wpichler@gmail.com (Werner Pichler)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 20:49:39 +0100
 by: Werner Pichler - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 19:49 UTC

On 26.01.2024 12:05, Werner Pichler wrote:
> Werner Pichler <wpichler@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Round of 16
>

> Tuesday
>
> Saudi-Arabia v South Korea
> (Mancini v Klinsmann)

Klinsmann is like a cat with nine lives.

Ciao,
Werner

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<uphcjr$29ior$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17626&group=rec.sport.soccer#17626

From: dundat@mail.com (Binder Dundat)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 19:22:20 -0500
 by: Binder Dundat - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 00:22 UTC

Unlike Afcon, I can tell you who makes the final, Japan and S Korea will
make the final.

On 2024-01-30 2:49 p.m., Werner Pichler wrote:
> On 26.01.2024 12:05, Werner Pichler wrote:
>> Werner Pichler <wpichler@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Round of 16
>>

>> Tuesday
>>
>> Saudi-Arabia v South Korea
>> (Mancini v Klinsmann)
>
> Klinsmann is like a cat with nine lives.
>

> Ciao,
> Werner

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<upivl8$2l29d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17634&group=rec.sport.soccer#17634

From: wpichler@gmail.com (Werner Pichler)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 15:53:28 +0100
 by: Werner Pichler - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 14:53 UTC

On 02.02.2024 01:22, Binder Dundat wrote:
> Unlike Afcon, I can tell you who makes the final, Japan and S Korea will
> make the final.

South Korea hasn't won the competition since 1960, so the title would be
quite the feather in Klinsmann's crown.

Ciao,
Werner

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<upjec8$2nma7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17637&group=rec.sport.soccer#17637

From: MHnospam@ucalgary.ca (MH)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 12:04:39 -0700
 by: MH - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 19:04 UTC

On 2024-02-02 07:53, Werner Pichler wrote:
> On 02.02.2024 01:22, Binder Dundat wrote:
>> Unlike Afcon, I can tell you who makes the final, Japan and S Korea
>> will make the final.
>
> South Korea hasn't won the competition since 1960, so the title would be
> quite the feather in Klinsmann's crown.

Another late comeback - 96th minute penalty , then OT winner for South
Korea. Poor Australia.
I am getting really suspicious about the number of games decided by
penalties awarded in time added on these days. Anyone keeping track on
how many are straightforward, and how many are controversial VAR awarded
ones?
Is it just confirmation bias, or are far more penalties awarded late in
games. Is it naive to assume their distribution is or should be fairly
random in games? I guess bad tackles would happen more frequently as
players tire, but a huge fraction of of pens seem to be for "hand-balls"
(some extremely harsh based on old definitions of handball, or even new
ones), and that would be more likely to be random.

As for predicting the outcome of the tournament, I would not discount
Iran. Sure their group was easy and they did not win convincingly in the
round of 16, but Japan has been conceding a lot of goals for one of the
stronger teams in the region.

Anyone fancy Uzbekistan?

> Ciao,
> Werner

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<upjghj$2o28s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17638&group=rec.sport.soccer#17638

From: wpichler@gmail.com (Werner Pichler)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 20:41:39 +0100
<uocgo4$2q9gm$3@dont-email.me> <uoed6b$3877e$2@dont-email.me>
<uogg9f$3m80g$1@dont-email.me> <uogj35$3mlim$1@dont-email.me>
<dba27bc8-f9aa-4589-8e96-8cf75f49bd80n@googlegroups.com>
<up03m7$2pv95$1@dont-email.me> <upbjsk$14dbr$1@dont-email.me>
<uphcjr$29ior$2@dont-email.me> <upivl8$2l29d$1@dont-email.me>
<upjec8$2nma7$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Werner Pichler - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 19:41 UTC

On 02.02.2024 20:04, MH wrote:
> On 2024-02-02 07:53, Werner Pichler wrote:
>> On 02.02.2024 01:22, Binder Dundat wrote:
>>> Unlike Afcon, I can tell you who makes the final, Japan and S Korea
>>> will make the final.
>>
>> South Korea hasn't won the competition since 1960, so the title would be
>> quite the feather in Klinsmann's crown.
>
> Another late comeback -  96th minute penalty , then OT winner for South
> Korea.   Poor Australia.

Nine lives.

> I am getting really suspicious about the number of games decided by
> penalties awarded in time added on these days.  Anyone keeping track on
> how many are straightforward, and how many are controversial VAR awarded
> ones?

Nothing controversial about this one, at least

https://streamin.me/v/dc25b5c8

Lewis Miller, from Hibs, then also conceded the free-kick at the edge
of the box that Son curled in for the extra time winner.

> Is it just confirmation bias, or are far more penalties awarded late in
> games.  Is it naive to assume their distribution is or should be fairly
> random in games?  I guess bad tackles would happen more frequently as
> players tire, but a huge fraction of of pens seem to be for "hand-balls"
> (some extremely harsh based on old definitions of handball, or even new
> ones), and that would be more likely to be random.

Well, there's also the length of the VAR checks which makes it more
likely that the penalty won't be taken until far into stoppage time.

> As for predicting the outcome of the tournament, I would not discount
> Iran. Sure their group was easy and they did not win convincingly in the
> round of 16, but Japan has been conceding a lot of goals for one of the
> stronger teams in the region.
>
> Anyone fancy Uzbekistan?

Also, best ever Asian Cup for Jordan, with a squad from mostly their
domestic league. Can't say I know anything about them.

Ciao,
Werner

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<uplh3g$359ap$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17644&group=rec.sport.soccer#17644

From: dundat@mail.com (Binder Dundat)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 09:03:27 -0500
<uocgo4$2q9gm$3@dont-email.me> <uoed6b$3877e$2@dont-email.me>
<uogg9f$3m80g$1@dont-email.me> <uogj35$3mlim$1@dont-email.me>
<dba27bc8-f9aa-4589-8e96-8cf75f49bd80n@googlegroups.com>
<up03m7$2pv95$1@dont-email.me> <upbjsk$14dbr$1@dont-email.me>
<uphcjr$29ior$2@dont-email.me> <upivl8$2l29d$1@dont-email.me>
<upjec8$2nma7$1@dont-email.me> <upjghj$2o28s$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Binder Dundat - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 14:03 UTC

OMG, in case you did not hear or witness it, today the biggest upset in
the history of football occurred! Another late penalty (96min) gifted
Iran a 2-1 win over Japan in the QF's, football world will never be the
same after this result.

On 2024-02-02 2:41 p.m., Werner Pichler wrote:
> On 02.02.2024 20:04, MH wrote:
>>>
>>> South Korea hasn't won the competition since 1960, so the title would be
>>> quite the feather in Klinsmann's crown.
>>
>> Another late comeback -  96th minute penalty , then OT winner for
>> South Korea.   Poor Australia.
>
> Nine lives.
>
>> I am getting really suspicious about the number of games decided by
>> penalties awarded in time added on these days.  Anyone keeping track
>> on how many are straightforward, and how many are controversial VAR
>> awarded ones?
>
> Nothing controversial about this one, at least
>
> https://streamin.me/v/dc25b5c8
>
> Lewis Miller, from Hibs, then also conceded the free-kick at the edge
> of the box that Son curled in for the extra time winner.
>

>> Is it just confirmation bias, or are far more penalties awarded late
>> in games.  Is it naive to assume their distribution is or should be
>> fairly random in games?  I guess bad tackles would happen more
>> frequently as players tire, but a huge fraction of of pens seem to be
>> for "hand-balls" (some extremely harsh based on old definitions of
>> handball, or even new ones), and that would be more likely to be random.
>
> Well, there's also the length of the VAR checks which makes it more
> likely that the penalty won't be taken until far into stoppage time.
>

>> As for predicting the outcome of the tournament, I would not discount
>> Iran. Sure their group was easy and they did not win convincingly in
>> the round of 16, but Japan has been conceding a lot of goals for one
>> of the stronger teams in the region.
>>
>> Anyone fancy Uzbekistan?
>
> Also, best ever Asian Cup for Jordan, with a squad from mostly their
> domestic league. Can't say I know anything about them.
>

> Ciao,
> Werner

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<3e417f90-8ccb-4b55-9ac7-a8e27c1700f2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17672&group=rec.sport.soccer#17672

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 23:54:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Pammiesheart@yahoo.co.uk (Mark)
 by: Mark - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 07:54 UTC

On Saturday, February 3, 2024 at 2:03:32 PM UTC, Binder Dundat wrote:
> OMG, in case you did not hear or witness it, today the biggest upset in
> the history of football occurred! Another late penalty (96min) gifted
> Iran a 2-1 win over Japan in the QF's, football world will never be the
> same after this result.
> On 2024-02-02 2:41 p.m., Werner Pichler wrote:

> >> Another late comeback - 96th minute penalty , then OT winner for
> >> South Korea. Poor Australia.
> >
> > Nine lives.
> >
> >> I am getting really suspicious about the number of games decided by
> >> penalties awarded in time added on these days. Anyone keeping track
> >> on how many are straightforward, and how many are controversial VAR
> >> awarded ones?
> >
> > Nothing controversial about this one, at least
> >
> > https://streamin.me/v/dc25b5c8
> >
> > Lewis Miller, from Hibs, then also conceded the free-kick at the edge
> > of the box that Son curled in for the extra time winner.
> >

> >> Is it just confirmation bias, or are far more penalties awarded late
> >> in games. Is it naive to assume their distribution is or should be
> >> fairly random in games? I guess bad tackles would happen more
> >> frequently as players tire, but a huge fraction of of pens seem to be
> >> for "hand-balls" (some extremely harsh based on old definitions of
> >> handball, or even new ones), and that would be more likely to be random.
> >
> > Well, there's also the length of the VAR checks which makes it more
> > likely that the penalty won't be taken until far into stoppage time.
> >

> >> As for predicting the outcome of the tournament, I would not discount
> >> Iran. Sure their group was easy and they did not win convincingly in
> >> the round of 16, but Japan has been conceding a lot of goals for one
> >> of the stronger teams in the region.
> >>
> >> Anyone fancy Uzbekistan?
> >
> > Also, best ever Asian Cup for Jordan, with a squad from mostly their
> > domestic league. Can't say I know anything about them.
> >

> > Ciao,
> > Werner

I predict South Korea will win the Asian nations Cup.

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<xn0ohpkx23ah7bz003@reader.xsnews.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17675&group=rec.sport.soccer#17675

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
References: <untv0u$3u7aa$1@dont-email.me> <9b5057b6-17b4-4bc8-b103-e009d256ca07n@googlegroups.com> <unu75q$3vc4j$1@dont-email.me> <99982799244e162292f3180c59fe2485@www.novabbs.com> <uocgo4$2q9gm$3@dont-email.me> <uoed6b$3877e$2@dont-email.me> <uogg9f$3m80g$1@dont-email.me> <uogj35$3mlim$1@dont-email.me> <dba27bc8-f9aa-4589-8e96-8cf75f49bd80n@googlegroups.com> <up03m7$2pv95$1@dont-email.me> <upbjsk$14dbr$1@dont-email.me> <uphcjr$29ior$2@dont-email.me> <upivl8$2l29d$1@dont-email.me> <upjec8$2nma7$1@dont-email.me> <upjghj$2o28s$1@dont-email.me> <uplh3g$359ap$1@dont-email.me> <3e417f90-8ccb-4b55-9ac7-a8e27c1700f2n@googlegroups.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 09:57:18 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 08:57 UTC

Mark wrote:

> I predict South Korea will win the Asian nations Cup.

I predict a team from Asia will win the Asian Nations Cup!

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<upu32m$11gqi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17684&group=rec.sport.soccer#17684

From: no_email@invalid.invalid (Werner Pichler)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 19:59:18 -0000 (UTC)
<upbjsk$14dbr$1@dont-email.me>
<uphcjr$29ior$2@dont-email.me>
sha1:hGpapUMeh4pqtZiDiZOMPDN9V8A=
 by: Werner Pichler - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 19:59 UTC

Binder Dundat <dundat@mail.com> wrote:
> Unlike Afcon, I can tell you who makes the final, Japan and S Korea will
> make the final.

Well, look at that, no last-second equaliser this time.

Ciao,
Werner

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<upukb3$146pn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17687&group=rec.sport.soccer#17687

From: dundat@mail.com (Binder Dundat)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 19:53:55 -0500
 by: Binder Dundat - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 00:53 UTC

OMG, in case you did not hear or witness it, today the biggest upset in
the history of football occurred! Jordania beat Sud Korea 2-0 in the
Semi final of Asiacon. I would say this result is a much much bigger
upset than the USA beating England in the World Cup. I mean this is
without doubt the biggest upset in the history of football!

On 2024-02-06 2:59 p.m., Werner Pichler wrote:
> Binder Dundat <dundat@mail.com> wrote:
>> Unlike Afcon, I can tell you who makes the final, Japan and S Korea will
>> make the final.
>>

> Well, look at that, no last-second equaliser this time.
>
> Ciao,
> Werner

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<dbee12ed-d782-4e08-b7f3-c4733f87d98dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17689&group=rec.sport.soccer#17689

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 04:27:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Pammiesheart@yahoo.co.uk (Mark)
 by: Mark - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 12:27 UTC

On Wednesday, February 7, 2024 at 12:53:58 AM UTC, Binder Dundat wrote:
> OMG, in case you did not hear or witness it, today the biggest upset in
> the history of football occurred! Jordania beat Sud Korea 2-0 in the
> Semi final of Asiacon. I would say this result is a much much bigger
> upset than the USA beating England in the World Cup. I mean this is
> without doubt the biggest upset in the history of football!

It really was an upset this time.

Re: ASIACON 23 R

<871q9nye9l.fsf@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17712&group=rec.sport.soccer#17712

From: hasm@example.invalid (HASM)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 16:45:58 -0800
<uocgo4$2q9gm$3@dont-email.me> <uoed6b$3877e$2@dont-email.me>
<uogg9f$3m80g$1@dont-email.me> <uogj35$3mlim$1@dont-email.me>
<dba27bc8-f9aa-4589-8e96-8cf75f49bd80n@googlegroups.com>
<up03m7$2pv95$1@dont-email.me> <upbjsk$14dbr$1@dont-email.me>
<uphcjr$29ior$2@dont-email.me> <upu32m$11gqi$1@dont-email.me>
<upukb3$146pn$2@dont-email.me>
sha1:yFIk07J0a5X1xRchs5MCE0Iqk1s=
 by: HASM - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 00:45 UTC

Binder Dundat <dundat@mail.com> writes:

> the biggest upset in the history of football occurred! Jordania beat
> Sud Korea 2-0 in the Semi final of Asiacon.

A mere 58 ELO points exchanged.

Glancing through the recent results, South Africa beating Morocco
resulted in a 65 points exchange, and Equatorial Guinea beating the
Ivory Coast (that was able to make to the final) resulted in a 69 points
exchange.

-- HASM