From: llb.moura@gmail.com (Lléo)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Subject: Blue Cards
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 18:51:25 -0300
 by: Lléo - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 21:51 UTC

Sounds like IFAB wants to expand the referee's cards colour palette.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/08/blue-cards-and-sin-bins-could-be-introduced-to-football-under-ifab-plans

They could trial the idea in next season's FA Cup, which means that "a
­disgruntled multimillionaire could be shown a blue card in as little as
12 months’ time", as per the link above.

I have no idea what to think of this one, really, would need to see it
in practice. But it's not exactly a new idea, this has been around for a
while already. Sounds worthy a test at least? What do y'all say?

Best regards,

Lléo

Re: Blue Cards

<xn0ohud5f8cn42r000@reader.xsnews.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17717&group=rec.sport.soccer#17717

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Subject: Re: Blue Cards
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2024 22:56:47 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 21:56 UTC

Lléo wrote:

> Sounds like IFAB wants to expand the referee's cards colour
> palette.
>
> They could trial the idea in next season's FA Cup, which means
> that "a ­disgruntled multimillionaire could be shown a blue card
> in as little as 12 months’ time", as per the link above.
>
> I have no idea what to think of this one, really, would need to
> see it in practice. But it's not exactly a new idea, this has been
> around for a while already. Sounds worthy a test at least? What do
> y'all say?

I say Blue Cards are great idea! And at least they picked a decent
colour.

It's only going to be a matter of time before the terms "sin bin"
and "power play" are adapted by the Sky Sports commentators...

Re: Blue Cards

<uq4e0k$2g4q8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17723&group=rec.sport.soccer#17723

From: MHnospam@ucalgary.ca (MH)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 22:42:44 -0700
 by: MH - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 05:42 UTC

On 2024-02-08 14:56, Blueshirt wrote:
> Lléo wrote:
>
>> Sounds like IFAB wants to expand the referee's cards colour
>> palette.
>>
>> They could trial the idea in next season's FA Cup, which means
>> that "a ­disgruntled multimillionaire could be shown a blue card
>> in as little as 12 months’ time", as per the link above.
>>
>> I have no idea what to think of this one, really, would need to
>> see it in practice. But it's not exactly a new idea, this has been
>> around for a while already. Sounds worthy a test at least? What do
>> y'all say?
>
> I say Blue Cards are great idea! And at least they picked a decent
> colour.
>
> It's only going to be a matter of time before the terms "sin bin"
> and "power play" are adapted by the Sky Sports commentators...

I remember this being tried in lower leagues in Germany aeons ago,
though I don't think they used blue - maybe just imposed a time penalty
on yellow cards (which were not doled out as frequently in those days.

And of course Rugby has been using a sin bin for quite some time for
yellow cards. I kind of like the newer Rugby rule that makes certain
yellow card offences subject to further video review during the 10
minutes, with the possibility of upgrading to a red.

Re: Blue Cards

<fef91f3ed70b7f0a9674afc4f887da95@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17733&group=rec.sport.soccer#17733

From: futbolmetrix@yahoo.com (Futbolmetrix)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 20:46:39 +0000
 by: Futbolmetrix - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 20:46 UTC

Lléo wrote:

> Sounds like IFAB wants to expand the referee's cards colour palette.

> https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/08/blue-cards-and-sin-bins-could-be-introduced-to-football-under-ifab-plans

> They could trial the idea in next season's FA Cup, which means that "a
> ­disgruntled multimillionaire could be shown a blue card in as little as
> 12 months’ time", as per the link above.

> I have no idea what to think of this one, really, would need to see it
> in practice.

I tend to dislike the typical Pavlovian response of most football fans every time a new rule is proposed, "it's a terrible idea, why are they messing with the Beautiful Game, etc."

However, in this case, I also have no idea what to think of this, and, to be honest, I don't really see the benefit. What specific shortcoming of the current game would blue cards address? And how would they make things better?

Re: Blue Cards

<xn0ohvs289sfoeg006@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17734&group=rec.sport.soccer#17734

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 22:06:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Blueshirt - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 22:06 UTC

Futbolmetrix wrote:

> Lléo wrote:
>
> > Sounds like IFAB wants to expand the referee's cards colour
> > palette.
> >
> > I have no idea what to think of this one, really, would need to
> > see it in practice.
>
> I tend to dislike the typical Pavlovian response of most football
> fans every time a new rule is proposed, "it's a terrible idea, why
> are they messing with the Beautiful Game, etc."

I'm not against the idea of "blue cards" but I don't see the need
for them, so it seems - on the face of it - to be a case of IFAB
tinkering with things just for the sake of it.

> However, in this case, I also have no idea what to think of this,
> and, to be honest, I don't really see the benefit. What specific
> shortcoming of the current game would blue cards address? And how
> would they make things better?

I think it would just add another layer of complexity for referees.
They struggle enough as it is.

Re: Blue Cards

<uqdh16$1k36l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17782&group=rec.sport.soccer#17782

From: MHnospam@ucalgary.ca (MH)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 09:29:26 -0700
 by: MH - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 16:29 UTC

On 2024-02-09 15:06, Blueshirt wrote:
> Futbolmetrix wrote:
>
>> Lléo wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds like IFAB wants to expand the referee's cards colour
>>> palette.
>>>
>>> I have no idea what to think of this one, really, would need to
>>> see it in practice.
>>
>> I tend to dislike the typical Pavlovian response of most football
>> fans every time a new rule is proposed, "it's a terrible idea, why
>> are they messing with the Beautiful Game, etc."
>
> I'm not against the idea of "blue cards" but I don't see the need
> for them, so it seems - on the face of it - to be a case of IFAB
> tinkering with things just for the sake of it.
>
>> However, in this case, I also have no idea what to think of this,
>> and, to be honest, I don't really see the benefit. What specific
>> shortcoming of the current game would blue cards address? And how
>> would they make things better?

Adds some granularity to punishments. Some yellows are given for
trivial things that don't harm anyone (like taking shirts off, not
taking goal kicks quickly enough near end of game when winning,
re-entering field of play without permission). You could argue that
cards should not be given for such offences, but it might be deemed
appropriate to leave some level of punishment.

Another advantage is if, as in rugby, the blue card could be subject to
extensive video review to decide whether to upgrade to a red, this would
be done during the 10 minutes in the penalty box and not delay the game
at all.

Finally, in terms of net accumulation of disciplinary points, blues
could be weighted more heavily than yellows.

> I think it would just add another layer of complexity for referees.
> They struggle enough as it is.

Re: Blue Cards

<xn0ohzu6mdv92v4002@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17787&group=rec.sport.soccer#17787

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 18:36:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Blueshirt - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 18:36 UTC

MH wrote:

> On 2024-02-09 15:06, Blueshirt wrote:
> >
> > I'm not against the idea of "blue cards" but I don't see the need
> > for them, so it seems - on the face of it - to be a case of IFAB
> > tinkering with things just for the sake of it.
>
> Adds some granularity to punishments. Some yellows are given for
> trivial things that don't harm anyone (like taking shirts off,
> not taking goal kicks quickly enough near end of game when
> winning, re-entering field of play without permission). You could
> argue that cards should not be given for such offences, but it
> might be deemed appropriate to leave some level of punishment.
>
> Another advantage is if, as in rugby, the blue card could be
> subject to extensive video review to decide whether to upgrade to
> a red, this would be done during the 10 minutes in the penalty box
> and not delay the game at all.
>
> Finally, in terms of net accumulation of disciplinary points,
> blues could be weighted more heavily than yellows.

IF, I was in support of blue cards I'd limit them to dissent or
something simple that's not gonna take five minutes for a referee to
trudge over to a screen for. Dissent is pretty much black and white.
If you say... "fuck off ref", "book him ref" or just kick the ball
away... then 10 minutes in the sin bin!!!

It might also stop the over-paid pussies that forever whinge and
moan, which is a big problem these days.