From: pammiesheart@yahoo.co.uk (Mark)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Subject: Copa Libertadores match played at 4,150 metres
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 11:06:49 +0000
 by: Mark - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 11:06 UTC

4,150 metres above sea level. Apparently it's a record for the highest altitude that a Copa Libertadores match has ever been played at.

Always Ready, of Bolivia, the home team, beat Sporting Cristal 6-1. I think the altitude helped.

Re: Copa Libertadores match played at 4,150 metres

<ura417$ho2u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=17909&group=rec.sport.soccer#17909

From: llb.moura@gmail.com (Lléo)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Subject: Re: Copa Libertadores match played at 4,150 metres
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 09:45:32 -0300
 by: Lléo - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 12:45 UTC

On 23/02/2024 08:06, Mark wrote:
> 4,150 metres above sea level. Apparently it's a record for the highest
> altitude that a Copa Libertadores match has ever been played at.
>
> Always Ready, of Bolivia, the home team, beat Sporting Cristal 6-1. I
> think the altitude helped.

It was played at the aptly named city of El Alto, which lies on La Paz's
metropolitan area. Apparently it's the second highest stadium in South
America. A recently built one too, from 2017.

The highest one is in Peru, actually. Estadio Daniel Alcides Carrión, in
Cerro del Pasco, is 4,338 metres above sea level. The local club, Unión
Minas, never featured in South American international competition,
though. Indeed, the last time they were seen in the Peruvian top
division was in the 1990's.

Best regards,

Lléo