A gambler's biggest thrill is winning a bet. His next biggest thrill is losing a bet.

sport / rec.sport.soccer / Re: Sorta Super SaturdayR

SubjectAuthor
* Sorta Super SaturdayRBinder Dundat
+* Re: Sorta Super SaturdayRBinder Dundat
|`* Re: Sorta Super SaturdayRBinder Dundat
| `* Re: Sorta Super SaturdayRBinder Dundat
|  `* Re: Sorta Super SaturdayRBinder Dundat
|   `* Re: Sorta Super SaturdayRReal_Mardin
|    +- Re: Sorta Super SaturdayRWerner Pichler
|    `- Re: Sorta Super SaturdayRBinder Dundat
`* Re: Sorta Super SaturdayRLléo
 `* Re: Sorta Super SaturdayRBinder Dundat
  +- Re: Sorta Super SaturdayRBinder Dundat
  +- Re: Sorta Super SaturdayRLléo
  +- Re: Sorta Super SaturdayRMH
  `* Re: Sorta Super SaturdayRWerner Pichler
   `* Re: Sorta Super SaturdayRLléo
    +- Re: Sorta Super SaturdayRWerner Pichler
    `* Re: Sorta Super SaturdayRJesper Lauridsen
     `- Re: Sorta Super SaturdayRWerner Pichler

1
Sorta Super SaturdayR

<utn0lm$3objc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18188&group=rec.sport.soccer#18188

From: dundat@mail.com (Binder Dundat)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Subject: Sorta Super SaturdayR
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 12:40:21 -0400
 by: Binder Dundat - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 16:40 UTC

Ok, they are only friendlies, but 3 huge matches on today (four if you
want to include T&T vs Kanada)!

Slovakia vs Austria
Local Derby match between two teams destined for glory this summer!
Oh, and by "glory", I mean making it to the next round by finishing 3rd
in their groups.

England vs Brasil and Germany vs France have S America and Europe's
greatest teams ever vs England and France. I can say greatest if you go
by World or Euro or Copa America trophies and if you went further by
giving out points for 2nd or 3rd and final standings, probably Brazil
and Germany would be ahead in that as well-I could be wrong about S
america if you give a lot of weight to Copa americas.

But, no one will be surprised if Both Brasil and Germany lose today.
Niether team is what they used to be. I would say things look better for
Brasil in that they have some decent young players coming up, Germany
has one player. All the other players J-Nag is picking are journeymen
players in their late 20s or old players, who are still good, but older,
like in their mid 30s. In my mind they didn't pick the old guy I would
have picked in Hummells. I dont think I would pick Muller or even Kroos
anymore, though I have less problem with Kroos.

Brasil is missing a lot of players for this one, but the English love
the idea of winning a match vs Brasil almost as much as winning a match
vs Germany.

So what is the deal with Neymar, he kinda went into a semi retirement
about 10 years ago, he only plays in matches or cups where there is
drinking and sex and parties and I get that, but you cant always have
that. And it just isnt the time for it now, when all these old, top
Brasil players are getting charged with rape. I think little Robinho is
the latest guy?

Meanwhile France are the current top team in Europe, yet they still play
with an old guy up front, granted he looks marvelous, but it just tells
you, that maybe having old guys isnt such a bad thing, I am assuming
Giroud is playing.

For England they are probably 2nd or 3rd favourites this summer along
with Portugal, so a win would definitely have an uplifting affect on the
team, not to mention having the media declare them de facto EURO 24
champions.

For a Derby match Slovakia vs Austria have only met 5 times? That cant
be true?

Aufstellung
Slowakei

Dubravka - Pekarik, Gyömber, Obert, Hancko - Kucka, Lobotka, Duda -
Suslov, Bozenik, Haraslin

Österreich

Pentz - Lainer, Querfeld, Danso, Mwene - Seiwald, Grillitsch, Laimer,
Baumgartner, Sabitzer - Gregoritsch

Re: Sorta Super SaturdayR

<utn275$3on42$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18189&group=rec.sport.soccer#18189

From: dundat@mail.com (Binder Dundat)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Subject: Re: Sorta Super SaturdayR
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 13:06:45 -0400
 by: Binder Dundat - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 17:06 UTC

We are now projecting Austria to win EURO 24. That has to be the
quickest goal ever scored in an International match.

On 2024-03-23 12:40 p.m., Binder Dundat wrote:
> Ok, they are only friendlies, but 3 huge matches on today (four if you
> want to include T&T vs Kanada)!
>

> Slovakia vs Austria
> Local Derby match between two teams destined for glory this summer!
> Oh, and by "glory", I mean making it to the next round by finishing 3rd
> in their groups.
>
> England vs Brasil and Germany vs France have S America and Europe's
> greatest teams ever vs England and France. I can say greatest if you go
> by World or Euro or Copa America trophies and if you went further by
> giving out points for 2nd or 3rd and final standings, probably Brazil
> and Germany would be ahead in that as well-I could be wrong about S
> america if you give a lot of weight to Copa americas.
>
> But, no one will be surprised if Both Brasil and Germany lose today.
> Niether team is what they used to be. I would say things look better for
> Brasil in that they have some decent young players coming up, Germany
> has one player.  All the other players J-Nag is picking are journeymen
> players in their late 20s or old players, who are still good, but older,
> like in their mid 30s.  In my mind they didn't pick the old guy I would
> have picked in Hummells.  I dont think I would pick Muller or even Kroos
> anymore, though I have less problem with Kroos.
>
> Brasil is missing a lot of players for this one, but the English love
> the idea of winning a match vs Brasil almost as much as winning a match
> vs Germany.
>
> So what is the deal with Neymar, he kinda went into a semi retirement
> about 10 years ago, he only plays in matches or cups where there is
> drinking and sex and parties and I get that, but you cant always have
> that.  And it just isnt the time for it now, when all these old, top
> Brasil players are getting charged with rape. I think little Robinho is
> the latest guy?
>
> Meanwhile France are the current top team in Europe, yet they still play
> with an old guy up front, granted he looks marvelous, but it just tells
> you, that maybe having old guys isnt such a bad thing, I am assuming
> Giroud is playing.
>
> For England they are probably 2nd or 3rd favourites this summer along
> with Portugal, so a win would definitely have an uplifting affect on the
> team, not to mention having the media declare them de facto EURO 24
> champions.
>
> For a Derby match Slovakia vs Austria have only met 5 times?  That cant
> be true?
>
> Aufstellung
> Slowakei
>
> Dubravka - Pekarik, Gyömber, Obert, Hancko - Kucka, Lobotka, Duda -
> Suslov, Bozenik, Haraslin
>
> Österreich
>
> Pentz - Lainer, Querfeld, Danso, Mwene - Seiwald, Grillitsch, Laimer,
> Baumgartner, Sabitzer - Gregoritsch

Re: Sorta Super SaturdayR

<utn4t4$3pamn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18190&group=rec.sport.soccer#18190

From: dundat@mail.com (Binder Dundat)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 13:52:36 -0400
 by: Binder Dundat - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 17:52 UTC

On 2024-03-23 1:06 p.m., Binder Dundat wrote:
> We are now projecting Austria to win EURO 24.  That has to be the
> quickest goal ever scored in an International match.

The Projection machine has been adjusted for HT and is no longer
predicting Austria as champions, that is the problem with the machine,
it was predicting a crazy 90-0 score after one minute!??!!?

Slov 0 - 1 Aut HT

> On 2024-03-23 12:40 p.m., Binder Dundat wrote:
>> Ok, they are only friendlies, but 3 huge matches on today (four if you
>> want to include T&T vs Kanada)!
>>

>> Slovakia vs Austria
>> Local Derby match between two teams destined for glory this summer!
>> Oh, and by "glory", I mean making it to the next round by finishing
>> 3rd in their groups.
>>
>> England vs Brasil and Germany vs France have S America and Europe's
>> greatest teams ever vs England and France. I can say greatest if you
>> go by World or Euro or Copa America trophies and if you went further
>> by giving out points for 2nd or 3rd and final standings, probably
>> Brazil and Germany would be ahead in that as well-I could be wrong
>> about S america if you give a lot of weight to Copa americas.
>>
>> But, no one will be surprised if Both Brasil and Germany lose today.
>> Niether team is what they used to be. I would say things look better
>> for Brasil in that they have some decent young players coming up,
>> Germany has one player.  All the other players J-Nag is picking are
>> journeymen players in their late 20s or old players, who are still
>> good, but older, like in their mid 30s.  In my mind they didn't pick
>> the old guy I would have picked in Hummells.  I dont think I would
>> pick Muller or even Kroos anymore, though I have less problem with Kroos.
>>
>> Brasil is missing a lot of players for this one, but the English love
>> the idea of winning a match vs Brasil almost as much as winning a
>> match vs Germany.
>>
>> So what is the deal with Neymar, he kinda went into a semi retirement
>> about 10 years ago, he only plays in matches or cups where there is
>> drinking and sex and parties and I get that, but you cant always have
>> that.  And it just isnt the time for it now, when all these old, top
>> Brasil players are getting charged with rape. I think little Robinho
>> is the latest guy?
>>
>> Meanwhile France are the current top team in Europe, yet they still
>> play with an old guy up front, granted he looks marvelous, but it just
>> tells you, that maybe having old guys isnt such a bad thing, I am
>> assuming Giroud is playing.
>>
>> For England they are probably 2nd or 3rd favourites this summer along
>> with Portugal, so a win would definitely have an uplifting affect on
>> the team, not to mention having the media declare them de facto EURO
>> 24 champions.
>>
>> For a Derby match Slovakia vs Austria have only met 5 times?  That
>> cant be true?
>>
>> Aufstellung
>> Slowakei
>>
>> Dubravka - Pekarik, Gyömber, Obert, Hancko - Kucka, Lobotka, Duda -
>> Suslov, Bozenik, Haraslin
>>
>> Österreich
>>
>> Pentz - Lainer, Querfeld, Danso, Mwene - Seiwald, Grillitsch, Laimer,
>> Baumgartner, Sabitzer - Gregoritsch

Re: Sorta Super SaturdayR

<utn76o$3ptuk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18191&group=rec.sport.soccer#18191

From: dundat@mail.com (Binder Dundat)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:31:53 -0400
 by: Binder Dundat - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 18:31 UTC

Still 0-1, austria look more likely to score than Slovakia, but you
never know.

Meanwhile in London, the English are getting ready for their first ever
victory over Brasil.

Aufstellung
England

Pickford - Walker, Stones, H. Maguire, Chilwell - Rice, Gallagher,
Foden, Bellingham, Gordon - Watkins

Brasilien

Bento - Danilo, Fabricio Bruno, Lucas Beraldo, Wendell - Joao Gomes,
Bruno Guimaraes, Lucas Paqueta - Raphinha, Rodrygo, Vinicius Junior

On 2024-03-23 1:52 p.m., Binder Dundat wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Meanwhile France are the current top team in Europe, yet they still
>>> play with an old guy up front, granted he looks marvelous, but it
>>> just tells you, that maybe having old guys isnt such a bad thing, I
>>> am assuming Giroud is playing.
>>>
>>> For England they are probably 2nd or 3rd favourites this summer along
>>> with Portugal, so a win would definitely have an uplifting affect on
>>> the team, not to mention having the media declare them de facto EURO
>>> 24 champions.
>>>
>>> For a Derby match Slovakia vs Austria have only met 5 times?  That
>>> cant be true?
>>>
>>> Aufstellung
>>> Slowakei
>>>
>>> Dubravka - Pekarik, Gyömber, Obert, Hancko - Kucka, Lobotka, Duda -
>>> Suslov, Bozenik, Haraslin
>>>
>>> Österreich
>>>
>>> Pentz - Lainer, Querfeld, Danso, Mwene - Seiwald, Grillitsch, Laimer,

<utn899$3q775$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18192&group=rec.sport.soccer#18192

From: dundat@mail.com (Binder Dundat)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:50:17 -0400
 by: Binder Dundat - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 18:50 UTC

SLV 0 - 2 Aut 88min

Fairly straightforward win for Austria.

It is interesting that the FOX network here is airing the England v
Brasil game on "normal tv".

On 2024-03-23 2:31 p.m., Binder Dundat wrote:
> Still 0-1, austria look more likely to score than Slovakia, but you
> never know.
>
> Meanwhile in London, the English are getting ready for their first ever
> victory over Brasil.
>

> Aufstellung
> England
>
> Pickford - Walker, Stones, H. Maguire, Chilwell - Rice, Gallagher,
> Foden, Bellingham, Gordon - Watkins
>
> Brasilien
>
> Bento - Danilo, Fabricio Bruno, Lucas Beraldo, Wendell - Joao Gomes,
> Bruno Guimaraes, Lucas Paqueta - Raphinha, Rodrygo, Vinicius Junior
>

> On 2024-03-23 1:52 p.m., Binder Dundat wrote:
>> On 2024-03-23 1:06 p.m., Binder Dundat wrote:
>>> We are now projecting Austria to win EURO 24.  That has to be the
>>> quickest goal ever scored in an International match.
>>
>> The Projection machine has been adjusted for HT and is no longer
>> predicting Austria as champions, that is the problem with the machine,
>> it was predicting a crazy 90-0 score after one minute!??!!?
>>
>> Slov 0 - 1 Aut HT

Re: Sorta Super SaturdayR

<306b0b7a4b3118408c07f732a5e7a1be@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18193&group=rec.sport.soccer#18193

From: realmardinrss@proton.me (Real_Mardin)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 21:13:38 +0000
 by: Real_Mardin - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 21:13 UTC

FT England 0 - Brazil 1

We are now projecting Brazil to receive a wildcard entry to Euro 2024 and win the tournament!

STOP PRESS

55 minutes France 0 - Germany 2

We are now projecting Germany to win Euro 2024!

RM

Re: Sorta Super SaturdayR

<utnh9l$3se6a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18194&group=rec.sport.soccer#18194

From: no_email@invalid.invalid (Werner Pichler)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 21:24:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ymhU9XteXD25D6FAYsukV9+VHik=
 by: Werner Pichler - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 21:24 UTC

Real_Mardin <realmardinrss@proton.me> wrote:
> FT England 0 - Brazil 1
>
> We are now projecting Brazil to receive a wildcard entry to Euro 2024 and
> win the tournament!
>

> STOP PRESS
>
> 55 minutes France 0 - Germany 2
>
> We are now projecting Germany to win Euro 2024!

No, they needed 8 seconds for their goal.

Ciao,
Werner

> RM

Re: Sorta Super SaturdayR

<utnidl$3slup$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18195&group=rec.sport.soccer#18195

From: llb.moura@gmail.com (Lléo)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 18:43:48 -0300
 by: Lléo - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 21:43 UTC

On 23/03/2024 13:40, Binder Dundat wrote:
> Ok, they are only friendlies, but 3 huge matches on today (four if you
> want to include T&T vs Kanada)!
>

> Slovakia vs Austria
> Local Derby match between two teams destined for glory this summer!
> Oh, and by "glory", I mean making it to the next round by finishing 3rd
> in their groups.

Interesting, never heard of that one. Is there also a rivalry between
Austria and the Czech Republic too? Was it there in the times of the old
Czechoslovakia?

> England vs Brasil and Germany vs France have S America and Europe's
> greatest teams ever vs England and France. I can say greatest if you go
> by World or Euro or Copa America trophies and if you went further by
> giving out points for 2nd or 3rd and final standings, probably Brazil
> and Germany would be ahead in that as well-I could be wrong about S
> america if you give a lot of weight to Copa americas.
>
> But, no one will be surprised if Both Brasil and Germany lose today.
> Niether team is what they used to be. I would say things look better for
> Brasil in that they have some decent young players coming up, Germany
> has one player.  All the other players J-Nag is picking are journeymen
> players in their late 20s or old players, who are still good, but older,
> like in their mid 30s.  In my mind they didn't pick the old guy I would
> have picked in Hummells.  I dont think I would pick Muller or even Kroos
> anymore, though I have less problem with Kroos.

I was going to ask what went wrong with Germany after 2014/2016, but it
seems now they're beating France in Lyon?

> Brasil is missing a lot of players for this one, but the English love
> the idea of winning a match vs Brasil almost as much as winning a match
> vs Germany.
>
> So what is the deal with Neymar, he kinda went into a semi retirement
> about 10 years ago, he only plays in matches or cups where there is
> drinking and sex and parties and I get that, but you cant always have
> that.

Not only that, he seems to be injured as well.

> And it just isnt the time for it now, when all these old, top
> Brasil players are getting charged with rape. I think little Robinho is
> the latest guy?

Arrested yesterday, will serve in Brasil the sentence he was given in
Italy. And don't forget Daniel Alves too, jailed in Spain and awaiting
sentencing I think.

> Meanwhile France are the current top team in Europe, yet they still play
> with an old guy up front, granted he looks marvelous, but it just tells
> you, that maybe having old guys isnt such a bad thing, I am assuming
> Giroud is playing.

Didn't start, but was brought in.

Would it be fair to say that the two finalists of the 2022 World Cup
still seem to be the teams to beat in each side of the Atlantic?

> For England they are probably 2nd or 3rd favourites this summer along
> with Portugal, so a win would definitely have an uplifting affect on the
> team, not to mention having the media declare them de facto EURO 24
> champions.

Business as usual, then :-)

Best regards,

Lléo

Re: Sorta Super SaturdayR

<utnmgm$3tjbr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18197&group=rec.sport.soccer#18197

From: dundat@mail.com (Binder Dundat)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 18:53:08 -0400
 by: Binder Dundat - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 22:53 UTC

On 2024-03-23 5:43 p.m., Lléo wrote:
> On 23/03/2024 13:40, Binder Dundat wrote:
>> Ok, they are only friendlies, but 3 huge matches on today (four if you
>> want to include T&T vs Kanada)!
>>

>> Slovakia vs Austria
>> Local Derby match between two teams destined for glory this summer!
>> Oh, and by "glory", I mean making it to the next round by finishing
>> 3rd in their groups.
>

> Interesting, never heard of that one. Is there also a rivalry between
> Austria and the Czech Republic too? Was it there in the times of the old
> Czechoslovakia?

It is not really a rivalry, though maybe Werner will tell me otherwise.
I would say Germany and then Hungary, Swiss, Dutch, Italians maybe
France would be bigger games for the Austrians.

But anyhow, a good win vs a team that only lost by one goal, twice, to
projected EURO 24 winners Portugal in qualifying.

The record breaking goal that only took 6 seconds-which is a record-by
Baumgartner was kinda Maradonaesque, in that he went through 3 or 4
players from the centre circle to goal, though the shot was longer
distance, but I thought he looked good in this game and the team looked
more a unit. So even though they are in a tough group ( and we dont even
know the 4th team), I think they will do better than the last coupe of
EM catastrophes.

>> England vs Brasil and Germany vs France have S America and Europe's
>> greatest teams ever vs England and France. I can say greatest if you
>> go by World or Euro or Copa America trophies and if you went further
>> by giving out points for 2nd or 3rd and final standings, probably
>> Brazil and Germany would be ahead in that as well-I could be wrong
>> about S america if you give a lot of weight to Copa americas.
>>
>> But, no one will be surprised if Both Brasil and Germany lose today.
>> Niether team is what they used to be. I would say things look better
>> for Brasil in that they have some decent young players coming up,
>> Germany has one player.  All the other players J-Nag is picking are
>> journeymen players in their late 20s or old players, who are still
>> good, but older, like in their mid 30s.  In my mind they didn't pick
>> the old guy I would have picked in Hummells.  I dont think I would
>> pick Muller or even Kroos anymore, though I have less problem with Kroos.

I thought Kroos was very good today.

But England 0 vs 1 Brasil, was the early match and England looked good
for about 10 mins, but then Brasil had the better chances and probably
deserved to win 1-0. Yes the were missing Harrykane and Trippier and
walker went off early, it was still a pretty good England squad vs a
brand new brasil team, with new players and new coaches and new shoes.
Apparently if I believe the commentator the new Brasil Head Coach has
managed 20 teams in Brazil in the last 24 years? Which means he must be
good, like those numbers are better than Felix's.

AS much as the English press love to declare England winner when they
beat a team better than Denmark, they also love to shit on them too. So
you know that Southgate will be fired, England will go out in the group
stage and now all English players do not have the skill level of a 14
year old Brasilian.

> I was going to ask what went wrong with Germany after 2014/2016, but it
> seems now they're beating France in Lyon?

I want to say France are playing games in order to give the Germans a
false sense of security, they were giving the ball away in their own
half so easily, I will say Germany moved the ball better and controlled
the pace more than what we have seen from them recently, but it may have
more to do with France being bad. I mean maybe the France cycle is over
and it is Italy's turn to be good, I cant keep up with all the cycles
and how they change.

But yes germany actually looked better than they have in years, I am
gonna say it, and it is along running joke, but Leroy Sane and Emre Can
were NOT playing today and look at the result. But seriously, Rudiger
and Tah si an intereseting defensive pairing, I like Kimmich as a wing
back, Mittlestadt was good until he almost own goaled at the end, the
Journeymen call ups all did well enough, maybe J-Nag will develop some
magical tactics that will over come the lack of quality.. Having said
that Wirtz is a top player.

>> Brasil is missing a lot of players for this one, but the English love
>> the idea of winning a match vs Brasil almost as much as winning a
>> match vs Germany.
>>
>> So what is the deal with Neymar, he kinda went into a semi retirement
>> about 10 years ago, he only plays in matches or cups where there is
>> drinking and sex and parties and I get that, but you cant always have
>> that.
>

> Not only that, he seems to be injured as well.
>

>> And it just isnt the time for it now, when all these old, top Brasil
>> players are getting charged with rape. I think little Robinho is the
>> latest guy?
>

> Arrested yesterday, will serve in Brasil the sentence he was given in
> Italy. And don't forget Daniel Alves too, jailed in Spain and awaiting
> sentencing I think.
>

>> Meanwhile France are the current top team in Europe, yet they still
>> play with an old guy up front, granted he looks marvelous, but it just
>> tells you, that maybe having old guys isnt such a bad thing, I am
>> assuming Giroud is playing.
>

> Didn't start, but was brought in.
>
> Would it be fair to say that the two finalists of the 2022 World Cup
> still seem to be the teams to beat in each side of the Atlantic?
>

>> For England they are probably 2nd or 3rd favourites this summer along
>> with Portugal, so a win would definitely have an uplifting affect on
>> the team, not to mention having the media declare them de facto EURO
>> 24 champions.
>

> Business as usual, then :-)
>

> Best regards,
>
> Lléo

Re: Sorta Super SaturdayR

<utnn6b$3tnsc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18198&group=rec.sport.soccer#18198

From: dundat@mail.com (Binder Dundat)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 19:04:43 -0400
 by: Binder Dundat - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 23:04 UTC

Forgot to mention Kanada has qualified for Copa America.

On 2024-03-23 6:53 p.m., Binder Dundat wrote:
> [...]
>>> latest guy?
>>

>> Arrested yesterday, will serve in Brasil the sentence he was given in
>> Italy. And don't forget Daniel Alves too, jailed in Spain and awaiting
>> sentencing I think.
>>

>>> Meanwhile France are the current top team in Europe, yet they still
>>> play with an old guy up front, granted he looks marvelous, but it
>>> just tells you, that maybe having old guys isnt such a bad thing, I
>>> am assuming Giroud is playing.
>>

>> Didn't start, but was brought in.
>>
>> Would it be fair to say that the two finalists of the 2022 World Cup
>> still seem to be the teams to beat in each side of the Atlantic?
>>

>>> For England they are probably 2nd or 3rd favourites this summer along
>>> with Portugal, so a win would definitely have an uplifting affect on
>>> the team, not to mention having the media declare them de facto EURO

Re: Sorta Super SaturdayR

<utohgo$6oe2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18200&group=rec.sport.soccer#18200

From: llb.moura@gmail.com (Lléo)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 03:34:30 -0300
 by: Lléo - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 06:34 UTC

On 23/03/2024 19:53, Binder Dundat wrote:
> I thought Kroos was very good today.
>
> But England 0  vs 1 Brasil, was the early match and England looked good
> for about 10 mins, but then Brasil had the better chances and probably
> deserved to win 1-0.  Yes the were missing Harrykane and Trippier and
> walker went off early, it was still a pretty good England squad vs a
> brand new brasil team, with new players and new coaches and new shoes.

Brasil seems to have a fine attacking line with Rodrygo, Vini Jr and
Endrick (all of them at Real Madrid, though it may take a while for
Endrick to actually play for them I suppose), plus a handful of solid
players in other areas. Not sure they're World Cup winning material, but
they could go places. Maybe 2026 is too soon, though. Plus, they could
start to phase out Neymar.

> Apparently if I believe the commentator the new Brasil Head Coach  has
> managed 20 teams in Brazil in the last 24 years?  Which means he must be
> good, like those numbers are better than Felix's.

That number is correct (just checked Wikipedia, maybe that's what he did
too?). This has something to do with the insane turnover of coaches in
Brazilian clubs. But Dorival had some important recent successes,
winning the league and Libertadores with Flamengo in 2022 and earning
São Paulo its first ever Copa do Brasil in 2023. After that laughable
Ancelotti fiasco, he was probably about the best CBF could do for the
national team.

>> [SNIP]
>> I was going to ask what went wrong with Germany after 2014/2016, but
>> it seems now they're beating France in Lyon?
>
> I want to say France are playing games in order to give the Germans a
> false sense of security, they were giving the ball away in their own
> half so easily,  I will say Germany moved the ball better and controlled
> the pace more than what we have seen from them recently, but it may have
> more to do with France being bad.  I mean maybe the France cycle is over
> and it is Italy's turn to be good, I cant keep up with all the cycles
> and how they change.
>
> But yes germany actually looked better than they have in years, I am
> gonna say it, and it is along running joke, but Leroy Sane and Emre Can
> were NOT playing today and look at the result.  But seriously, Rudiger
> and Tah si an intereseting defensive pairing, I like Kimmich as a wing
> back, Mittlestadt was good until he almost own goaled at the end, the
> Journeymen call ups all did well enough, maybe J-Nag will develop some
> magical tactics that will over come the lack of quality.. Having said
> that Wirtz is a top player.

I've only watched the second half, but it felt like Germany could easily
have doubled the scoreline, while France didn't do much at all. Who
knows, maybe it was a bad day for France, but Germany surely had
something to do with it.

Best regards,

Lléo

Re: Sorta Super SaturdayR

<utpavk$d1ds$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18207&group=rec.sport.soccer#18207

From: dundat@mail.com (Binder Dundat)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 09:48:36 -0400
 by: Binder Dundat - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 13:48 UTC

On 2024-03-23 5:13 p.m., Real_Mardin wrote:
> FT England 0  - Brazil 1
>
> We are now projecting Brazil to receive a wildcard entry to Euro 2024
> and win the tournament!
>

> STOP PRESS
> 55 minutes France 0 - Germany 2

You know a team is not taking things seriously when Havertz scores
against you.

> We are now projecting Germany to win Euro 2024!
>

> RM

According to the odds from this morning, top 5 favourites in order are
1 England
2 France
3 Germany
4 Spain
5 Portugal

Germany will have a tough time getting out of their group, let alone
winning the thing! I think I would take Portugal right now.

For those wondering about quickest goals scored in International play,
Baumgartner's goal was the quickest ever at 6 seconds. About an hour
later Wirtz scored Germany's quickest goal ever, but it was a full
second slower.

Re: Sorta Super SaturdayR

<utpim2$elil$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18210&group=rec.sport.soccer#18210

From: MHnospam@ucalgary.ca (MH)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 10:00:02 -0600
 by: MH - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 16:00 UTC

On 2024-03-23 16:53, Binder Dundat wrote:
> On 2024-03-23 5:43 p.m., Lléo wrote:
>> On 23/03/2024 13:40, Binder Dundat wrote:

> I thought Kroos was very good today.

he was more energetic than usual.

>> I was going to ask what went wrong with Germany after 2014/2016, but
>> it seems now they're beating France in Lyon?
>
> I want to say France are playing games in order to give the Germans a
> false sense of security, they were giving the ball away in their own
> half so easily,  I will say Germany moved the ball better and controlled
> the pace more than what we have seen from them recently, but it may have
> more to do with France being bad.  I mean maybe the France cycle is over
> and it is Italy's turn to be good, I cant keep up with all the cycles
> and how they change.
>
> But yes germany actually looked better than they have in years, I am
> gonna say it, and it is along running joke, but Leroy Sane and Emre Can
> were NOT playing today and look at the result.  But seriously, Rudiger
> and Tah si an intereseting defensive pairing, I like Kimmich as a wing
> back, Mittlestadt was good until he almost own goaled at the end, the
> Journeymen call ups all did well enough, maybe J-Nag will develop some
> magical tactics that will over come the lack of quality.. Having said
> that Wirtz is a top player.

I think moving Kimmich back to RB to make room for Andrich (who looked
good in the role and has been darn good for Leverkusen as well) might
have been a very good move. Musiala and Wirtz were excellent in that game.

Re: Sorta Super SaturdayR

<uts6pb$1634h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18220&group=rec.sport.soccer#18220

From: no_email@invalid.invalid (Werner Pichler)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 15:55:23 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:VhniPwUwPhjlv6ZqoLeTEdya+sk=
 by: Werner Pichler - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 15:55 UTC

Binder Dundat <dundat@mail.com> wrote:
> On 2024-03-23 5:43 p.m., Lléo wrote:
>> On 23/03/2024 13:40, Binder Dundat wrote:
>>> Ok, they are only friendlies, but 3 huge matches on today (four if you
>>> want to include T&T vs Kanada)!
>>>

>>> Slovakia vs Austria
>>> Local Derby match between two teams destined for glory this summer!
>>> Oh, and by "glory", I mean making it to the next round by finishing
>>> 3rd in their groups.
>>

>> Interesting, never heard of that one. Is there also a rivalry between
>> Austria and the Czech Republic too? Was it there in the times of the old
>> Czechoslovakia?
>
> It is not really a rivalry, though maybe Werner will tell me otherwise.

No, it’s not. For starters, Slovakia and Austria have never met outside of
friendlies so far. Vienna and Bratislava are just really close together.

Things were a bit different with old Czechoslovakia, but even there it
wasn’t as storied as meeting Hungary.

> I would say Germany and then Hungary, Swiss, Dutch, Italians maybe
> France would be bigger games for the Austrians.

One of the above is not like the others.

Hungary, sure, always fun to break out the old joke, Switzerland OK, but
more on club level. Italy, France, Netherlands - nah, never been in the
same ballpark.

Interestingly enough, I’d add Sweden to the list instead.

> But anyhow, a good win vs a team that only lost by one goal, twice, to
> projected EURO 24 winners Portugal in qualifying.
>
> The record breaking goal that only took 6 seconds-which is a record-by
> Baumgartner was kinda Maradonaesque, in that he went through 3 or 4
> players from the centre circle to goal, though the shot was longer
> distance, but I thought he looked good in this game and the team looked
> more a unit. So even though they are in a tough group ( and we dont even
> know the 4th team), I think they will do better than the last coupe of
> EM catastrophes.

2021 wasn’t a catastrophe (2016 was).

Ciao,
Werner

Re: Sorta Super SaturdayR

<utt8n5$1e1ul$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18228&group=rec.sport.soccer#18228

From: llb.moura@gmail.com (Lléo)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 22:35:01 -0300
 by: Lléo - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 01:35 UTC

On 25/03/2024 12:55, Werner Pichler wrote:
> Binder Dundat <dundat@mail.com> wrote:
>> On 2024-03-23 5:43 p.m., Lléo wrote:
>>> [I asked "is Austria vs Slovakia a rivalry?"] >> I would say Germany and then Hungary, Swiss, Dutch, Italians maybe
>> France would be bigger games for the Austrians.
>
> One of the above is not like the others.
>
> Hungary, sure, always fun to break out the old joke, Switzerland OK, but
> more on club level. Italy, France, Netherlands - nah, never been in the
> same ballpark.
>
> Interestingly enough, I’d add Sweden to the list instead.

Ok, I can see Germany, Hungary and Switzerland. But why Sweden?

I remember you once mentioned the qualifiers to WC'1974, but then surely
there have been other close matches between these two before or since?

Best regards,

Lléo

Re: Sorta Super SaturdayR

<utu4p2$1nrf3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18230&group=rec.sport.soccer#18230

From: no_email@invalid.invalid (Werner Pichler)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 09:33:22 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:0rqKjOYrkEuIGaI4z4W/7ku6HTM=
 by: Werner Pichler - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 09:33 UTC

Lléo <llb.moura@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/03/2024 12:55, Werner Pichler wrote:
>> Binder Dundat <dundat@mail.com> wrote:
>>> France would be bigger games for the Austrians.
>>
>> One of the above is not like the others.
>>
>> Hungary, sure, always fun to break out the old joke, Switzerland OK, but
>> more on club level. Italy, France, Netherlands - nah, never been in the
>> same ballpark.
>>
>> Interestingly enough, I’d add Sweden to the list instead.
>

> Ok, I can see Germany, Hungary and Switzerland. But why Sweden?
>
> I remember you once mentioned the qualifiers to WC'1974, but then surely
> there have been other close matches between these two before or since?

1972 Euro qualifiers (both out)
1974 WC qualifiers (where it really started, Sweden wins)
1978 World Cup (Austria wins)
1994 WC qualifiers (Sweden)
1998 WC qualifiers (Austria)
2014 WC qualifiers (Sweden)
2016 Euro qualifiers (Austria)
2024 Euro qualifiers (Austria)

Yeah, Sweden is a country with a comparable population that we’ve met a
lot, mostly in close encounters, and it’s been a seesaw as to who wins
(there were few draws).

Ciao,
Werner

Re: Sorta Super SaturdayR

<utvjue$2d7r3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18246&group=rec.sport.soccer#18246

From: rorschak@stofanet.dk (Jesper Lauridsen)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 23:58:20 +0100
 by: Jesper Lauridsen - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 22:58 UTC

On 26/03/2024 02.35, Lléo wrote:
> On 25/03/2024 12:55, Werner Pichler wrote:
>>
>> Hungary, sure, always fun to break out the old joke, Switzerland OK, but
>> more on club level. Italy, France, Netherlands - nah, never been in the
>> same ballpark.
>>
>> Interestingly enough, I’d add Sweden to the list instead.
>

> Ok, I can see Germany, Hungary and Switzerland. But why Sweden?
>
> I remember you once mentioned the qualifiers to WC'1974, but then surely
> there have been other close matches between these two before or since?

I can think of one historic Austria match in Sweden... Not against
Sweden, though.

Re: Sorta Super SaturdayR

<uu0hvu$2n6k7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=18247&group=rec.sport.soccer#18247

From: no_email@invalid.invalid (Werner Pichler)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 07:31:10 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:cSrJ5xK7+cuwRN2fmf5ylFq/2bk=
 by: Werner Pichler - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 07:31 UTC

Jesper Lauridsen <rorschak@stofanet.dk> wrote:
> On 26/03/2024 02.35, Lléo wrote:
>> On 25/03/2024 12:55, Werner Pichler wrote:
>>>
>>> Hungary, sure, always fun to break out the old joke, Switzerland OK, but
>>> more on club level. Italy, France, Netherlands - nah, never been in the
>>> same ballpark.
>>>
>>> Interestingly enough, I’d add Sweden to the list instead.
>>

>> Ok, I can see Germany, Hungary and Switzerland. But why Sweden?
>>
>> I remember you once mentioned the qualifiers to WC'1974, but then surely
>> there have been other close matches between these two before or since?
>
> I can think of one historic Austria match in Sweden... Not against
> Sweden, though.

By now I‘ve made my peace with that one. It got me a couple of free drinks
in Tórshavn after all.

Ciao,
Werner