[Babe] Ruth made a big mistake when he gave up pitching. -- Tris Speaker, 1921

sport / rec.autos.sport.f1 / FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 Expansion

SubjectAuthor
* FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 Expansionfleemos876
+- FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 Expansionfleemos876
+* FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 ExpansionXYXPDQ
|`- FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 ExpansionNews
`* FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 Expansion~misfit~
 `* FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 ExpansionHornplayer9599
  `* FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 ExpansionPhil Carmody
   `* FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 ExpansionXYXPDQ
    `- FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 ExpansionNews

1
FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 Expansion

<u9q0fk$1csd0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=20902&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20902

From: fleemos@fifan.com (fleemos876)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 Expansion
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 02:30:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: fleemos876 - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 02:30 UTC

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a44642186/fia-sets-new-
timetable-for-decision-on-f1-expansion/

FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem taking his time in announcing a
decision about an 11th or even 12th team.

Apparently, it will take another four to six weeks before the FIA will be
ready to reveal whether or not Formula 1 will be getting up to two new
teams.

After several groups responded to the official FIA tender, it was reported
recently that two prospective new teams—Andretti-Cadillac and Hitech—may
already have been granted franchises by the governing FIA.

But with Liberty Media and most of the existing F1 teams opposed, FIA
president Mohammed Ben Sulayem explains that there are still hurdles to
jump.

"This is obviously a political and financial issue, but it is clear to me
that the FIA must respect the process. The EU also regulates us, so we
can't manipulate anything," he told formula.hu. "If a team is interested
and our rules say you can have that many teams, how can we say no?"

Ben Sulayem says he understands the existing teams' opposition on
financial grounds, but it is his duty to "do the right thing for the
sport."

"We can't tell a big team that wants to come to F1 to go and buy a team or
you can't come in. I think that's wrong," he added.

It is clear that Ben Sulayem's personal favorite for an 11th team entry is
Michael Andretti's outfit, with the backing of Cadillac and General
Motors.

"These are serious people and we don't want to disqualify anyone without
thoroughly reviewing the submitted applications," he said. "It's about big
names and big money. Of course, we don't want just anybody, but A teams or
a car manufacturer. I prefer the manufacturers, because that would be good
for the sport.

"We have taken our time, the FIA team worked very hard, we had meetings
with the teams where we reviewed their applications, and I think the final
decision will be made within four to six weeks."

Financial concerns aside, figures like Toto Wolff (Mercedes) have argued
that more than 20 cars on the grid is actually a safety issue, as "we are
already tripping over ourselves like on a go-kart track."

"I don't understand that," the FIA president hit back. "Safety is the most
important thing for the FIA and our safety people say that 11 or 12 teams
is also safe.

"We'll wait until the evaluation of the teams is finished and then we'll
see, but I have said it before and I say it now - how could we turn down
General Motors? I don't understand the negativity.

"I heard that Liberty Media would also like an 11th team—this was said by
CEO Greg Maffei," Ben Sulayem added. "It seems that we are both looking at
the interests of the sport and its sustainability, because this way there
will be more business for the promoter as well.

"Hopefully next month we can make a statement."

Re: FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 Expansion

<u9q0rm$1csd0$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=20904&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20904

From: fleemos@fifan.com (fleemos876)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 02:36:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: fleemos876 - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 02:36 UTC

On Wed, 26 Jul 2023 02:30:13 -0000 (UTC), fleemos876 wrote:

> [...]
> that more than 20 cars on the grid is actually a safety issue, as "we
> are already tripping over ourselves like on a go-kart track."
>
> "I don't understand that," the FIA president hit back. "Safety is the
> most important thing for the FIA and our safety people say that 11 or 12
> teams is also safe.
>
> "We'll wait until the evaluation of the teams is finished and then we'll
> see, but I have said it before and I say it now - how could we turn down
> General Motors? I don't understand the negativity.
>
> "I heard that Liberty Media would also like an 11th team—this was said
> by CEO Greg Maffei," Ben Sulayem added. "It seems that we are both
> looking at the interests of the sport and its sustainability, because
> this way there will be more business for the promoter as well.
>
> "Hopefully next month we can make a statement."

I hope Andretti can get in. I imagine the teams will resist as much as
they can though. If they need an American team, just get rid of Haas and
give Andretti a go.

Re: FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 Expansion

<a6fa0013-e126-43f6-a1e1-3ec074ee33ban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=20910&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20910

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 09:45:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: qwrtz123@gmail.com (XYXPDQ)
 by: XYXPDQ - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 16:45 UTC

So are prospective teams actually interest in winning the WCC or they just looking for a participation trophy?

Re: FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 Expansion

<u9rir0$171n0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=20911&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20911

From: News@Group.Name (News)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 12:49:35 -0400
 by: News - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 16:49 UTC

On 7/26/2023 12:45 PM, XYXPDQ wrote:

> So are prospective teams actually interest in winning the WCC or they just looking for a participation trophy?

A question equally relevant to some current teams.

Up or out.

Re: FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 Expansion

<u9sn7p$1pc54$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=20918&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20918

From: shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com (~misfit~)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 15:10:49 +1200
 by: ~misfit~ - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 03:10 UTC

On 26/07/2023 2:30 pm, fleemos876 wrote:
> https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a44642186/fia-sets-new-
> timetable-for-decision-on-f1-expansion/
>
> FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem taking his time in announcing a
> decision about an 11th or even 12th team.
<snipped>

If there are to be four more cars on the grid then it's my opinion that qualifying will have to
change. Maybe have two Q1s with 12 per run then the 12 fastest cars in Q2? Then eight in Q3? At
least on the tracks that have a sub 80 second lap. They might be able to get away with the current
system on longer tracks. Then again if it's to be changed it should be changed for all tracks IMO.

The biggest problem with that system though is that the track will be faster for the second Q1 (or
the weather could change) so I don't know how they could deal with that fairly.

They might be able to get away with an unchanged system if there are only two more cars on the grid.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Re: FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 Expansion

<7WlwM.121909$Y1R7.80750@fx04.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=20920&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20920

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
From: Hornplayer9599@aol.com (Hornplayer9599)
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 22:56:51 -0500
 by: Hornplayer9599 - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 03:56 UTC

On 7/26/2023 22:10, ~misfit~ wrote:
> On 26/07/2023 2:30 pm, fleemos876 wrote:
>> https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a44642186/fia-sets-new-
>> timetable-for-decision-on-f1-expansion/
>>
>> FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem taking his time in announcing a
>> decision about an 11th or even 12th team.
> <snipped>
>
> If there are to be four more cars on the grid then it's my opinion that
> qualifying will have to change. Maybe have two Q1s with 12 per run then
> the 12 fastest cars in Q2? Then eight in Q3? At least on the tracks that
> have a sub 80 second lap. They might be able to get away with the
> current system on longer tracks. Then again if it's to be changed it
> should be changed for all tracks IMO.
>

> The biggest problem with that system though is that the track will be
> faster for the second Q1 (or the weather could change) so I don't know
> how they could deal with that fairly.
>
> They might be able to get away with an unchanged system if there are
> only two more cars on the grid.

If memory serves, I think when HRT, Caterham, and Manor joined the grid
that brought it up to 24 cars...which is where we'll be if they allow
two more teams on the grid. The only change the FIA made to qualifying
was to relegate the bottom 7 cars in Q1 and Q2. So I would say chances
are likely that there wouldn't be any major change to qualifying with 4
more cars.

--

Intelligence is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
--Carl Sagan

Re: FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 Expansion

<87zg387ady.fsf@fatphil.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=20991&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20991

From: pc+usenet@asdf.org (Phil Carmody)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2023 12:17:29 +0300
sha1:tEj2UHdkp1HmTQ212ZfhMkLWNvw=
 by: Phil Carmody - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 09:17 UTC

Hornplayer9599 <Hornplayer9599@aol.com> writes:
> On 7/26/2023 22:10, ~misfit~ wrote:
>> On 26/07/2023 2:30 pm, fleemos876 wrote:
>>> https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a44642186/fia-sets-new-
>>> timetable-for-decision-on-f1-expansion/
>>>
>>> FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem taking his time in announcing a
>>> decision about an 11th or even 12th team.
>> <snipped>
>>
>> If there are to be four more cars on the grid then it's my opinion
>> that qualifying will have to change. Maybe have two Q1s with 12 per
>> run then the 12 fastest cars in Q2? Then eight in Q3? At least on
>> the tracks that have a sub 80 second lap. They might be able to get
>> away with the current system on longer tracks. Then again if it's to
>> be changed it should be changed for all tracks IMO.
>>

>> The biggest problem with that system though is that the track will
>> be faster for the second Q1 (or the weather could change) so I don't
>> know how they could deal with that fairly.
>>
>> They might be able to get away with an unchanged system if there are
>> only two more cars on the grid.
>

> If memory serves, I think when HRT, Caterham, and Manor joined the
> grid that brought it up to 24 cars...which is where we'll be if they
> allow two more teams on the grid. The only change the FIA made to
> qualifying was to relegate the bottom 7 cars in Q1 and Q2. So I would
> say chances are likely that there wouldn't be any major change to
> qualifying with 4 more cars.

Yup, I don't see a problem with the quali aspect.

I think the only condition on these new teams is "you don't change your
team name for at least 5 years". If they can agree to that, and the
current teams still object to there being new teams, start culling the
current ones who have changed names in the last decade, and see how
quickly they shut up.

Yay! Go Spyker!

Phil
--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast

Re: FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 Expansion

<e3df0c82-ab07-43ed-96ae-e5c6266bd7f9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=20993&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20993

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 08:26:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: qwrtz123@gmail.com (XYXPDQ)
 by: XYXPDQ - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 15:26 UTC

How are even more of these over long, overweight, way over wide cars going to fit on the shorter/street tracks?

Re: FIA Sets New Timetable For Decision On F1 Expansion

<uagkps$r22o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=20994&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20994

From: News@Group.Name (News)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 12:31:55 -0400
 by: News - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 16:31 UTC

On 8/3/2023 11:26 AM, XYXPDQ wrote:

> How are even more of these over long, overweight, way over wide cars going to fit on the shorter/street tracks?

Exclusively Tilkedromes, and more of them. Just throw money at Liberty.