[Babe] Ruth made a big mistake when he gave up pitching. -- Tris Speaker, 1921

sport / rec.autos.sport.f1 / Re: Ah Spa!

SubjectAuthor
* Ah Spa!XYXPDQ
+* Ah Spa!Sir Tim
|+- Ah Spa!~misfit~
|`- Ah Spa!Phil Carmody
+* Ah Spa!fleemos876
|`* Ah Spa!Alan
| `- Ah Spa!texas gate
+* Ah Spa!JP
|`* Ah Spa!Sir Tim
| +- Ah Spa!News
| `* Ah Spa!~misfit~
|  `- Ah Spa!leonard hofstatdter
+* Ah Spa!a425couple
|`* Ah Spa!Dan the Man
| `- Ah Spa!News
+* Ah Spa!XYXPDQ
|`* Ah Spa!XYXPDQ
| `* Ah Spa!geoff
|  `* Ah Spa!Alan
|   +- Ah Spa!texas gate
|   `- Ah Spa!texas gate
`* Ah Spa!XYXPDQ
 `* Ah Spa!Darryl Johnson
  `* Ah Spa!~misfit~
   +* Ah Spa!Alan
   |`- Ah Spa!texas gate
   +* Ah Spa!Sir Tim
   |`* Ah Spa!~misfit~
   | `- Ah Spa!~misfit~
   `- Ah Spa!Phil Carmody

Pages:12
Re: Ah Spa!

<17ec8d13-81f4-40ee-af91-2e186bc8a874n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=20972&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20972

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 05:33:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Ah Spa!
From: texasgate@gmail.com (texas gate)
 by: texas gate - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 12:33 UTC

On Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 8:28:24 PM UTC-6, Alan wrote:

> Please.. ...just give it up.

fuck you
you fucking cunt

Re: Ah Spa!

<878rav8zja.fsf@fatphil.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=20976&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20976

From: pc+usenet@asdf.org (Phil Carmody)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2023 01:52:09 +0300
sha1:M6J8NAvrk02LoJFl9myeRQAI628=
 by: Phil Carmody - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 22:52 UTC

Sir Tim <no_email@invalid.invalid> writes:
> XYXPDQ <qwrtz123@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ah, finally Spa time!
>
> Yes, always a highlight of the season.

I love te circuit dry, and like it even more when it's changeable, but
what were those two wastes of time that were televised between the quali
and the race?

If I wanted short-format racing, I'd chose a short-format racing series
to watch. If you want to "mix it up" for more excitement, make them
drive hovercrafts, not the same cars they always drive.

The fact that they changed from the previous sprint race format that
would decide the starting positions in the actual race shows that
they're literally thrashing around presently. Flinging shit at the
flagpole, and seeing if anyone salutes anything that sticks.

Phil
--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast

Re: Ah Spa!

<ua9k1v$3dvt1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=20977&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20977

From: shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com (~misfit~)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 12:36:12 +1200
 by: ~misfit~ - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 00:36 UTC

On 31/07/2023 7:47 pm, Sir Tim wrote:
> ~misfit~ <shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to see them put Liam Lawson in it for next year but don't think
>> that's likely as there's a
>> good chance Liam would take too many points away from Max.
>
> I think you are allowing your patriotism (nationalism?) run away with you a
> bit Shaun :-)

Yeah maybe. ;) That said he's the first driver in the modern era (~50 years, including Japanese
drivers who know the circuit and speak the same language as their teams) to rock up to Super
Formula in Japan and win his maiden race. Out of the 6 races they've had this year he's won 3 and
always finished in the top 5. (However he's not leading the championship, he's in second place by 1
point with 2 races to go.)

He's also the only non-Japanese driver in the top 16 this year (that's including an Alesi who was
in his third year there before he got booted from his seat a race or two ago).

In F2 last year he beat his team-mate Logan Sargeant to finish 3rd in the championship and has been
a Red Bull driver for a few years now.

With all that considered it's not completely out of the question that he might be faster in the RBR
F1 car than Perez and he's only 21...

Oh and he would have won DTM in his maiden year in 2021 if it hadn't been for dirty driving by his
closest competitor in the last race which took him out of contention. He started the race ahead on
points and on pole but finished second in the championship after being 'speared'.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Re: Ah Spa!

<ua9ma2$3e5kk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=20978&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20978

From: shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com (~misfit~)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 13:14:39 +1200
 by: ~misfit~ - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 01:14 UTC

On 1/08/2023 12:36 pm, ~misfit~ wrote:
> On 31/07/2023 7:47 pm, Sir Tim wrote:
>> ~misfit~ <shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to see them put Liam Lawson in it for next year but don't think
>>> that's likely as there's a
>>> good chance Liam would take too many points away from Max.
>>
>> I think you are allowing your patriotism (nationalism?) run away with you a
>> bit Shaun :-)
>
> Yeah maybe. ;) That said he's the first driver in the modern era (~50 years, including Japanese
> drivers who know the circuit and speak the same language as their teams) to rock up to Super
> Formula in Japan and win his maiden race. Out of the 6 races they've had this year he's won 3 and
> always finished in the top 5. (However he's not leading the championship, he's in second place by 1
> point with 2 races to go.)
>
> He's also the only non-Japanese driver in the top 16 this year (that's including an Alesi who was
> in his third year there before he got booted from his seat a race or two ago).
>
> In F2 last year he beat his team-mate Logan Sargeant to finish 3rd in the championship and has been
> a Red Bull driver for a few years now.
>
> With all that considered it's not completely out of the question that he might be faster in the RBR
> F1 car than Perez and he's only 21...
>
> Oh and he would have won DTM in his maiden year in 2021 if it hadn't been for dirty driving by his
> closest competitor in the last race which took him out of contention. He started the race ahead on
> points and on pole but finished second in the championship after being 'speared'.

Oh, not to mention that Lawson's been RBRs reserve driver since June last year, adding it to his
role as reserve driver for AlphaTauri. He's still reserve driver for both teams. He's driven F1
machinery a few times including the RBR car in FP1 as well as in test sessions.

If RBR don't promote him to F1 next year then they might lose him - IMO. There's a chance that they
might let Yuki go I suppose and pit Liam in AlphaTauri. Yuki's a Honda driver and RBR have made the
decision to change to Ford PUs from 2026 so don't need to keep Honda happy so much now.

I'd rather see Liam in the BRB car though. He's proved that he can step into new formulas and start
winning from the first race (Super Formula, DTM) against established drivers. Then consider that F1
isn't exactly new to him. Helmut might just be crazy enough to do it.

<fingers crossed>
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Re: Ah Spa!

<874jlh8rtn.fsf@fatphil.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=20984&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20984

From: pc+usenet@asdf.org (Phil Carmody)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 17:03:16 +0300
sha1:cEIBHyz2HFA5G79XP0DYJyXfX+M=
 by: Phil Carmody - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 14:03 UTC

~misfit~ <shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com> writes:
> I don't know if there's truth to that but I can't deny that the
> combination of Max and that RBR car is mighty. I would like to see how
> well another top-tier driver does in the other car but RBR don't seem
> likely to put anyone in the other car who might upset Max.

Yeah, but I'd love to see what Alonso, with his new lease of life, could do.
I like Perez, but I think he's become just the stable and steady
journeyman now. Like an HHF, say? Sure, he deserves a seat, but maybe
not *that* seat.

Phil