Give me a fish and I will eat today. Teach me to fish and I will eat forever.

sport / rec.autos.sport.f1 / F1 Fan Realised Spa Circuit Was Unlocked - Madness Ensues

SubjectAuthor
* F1 Fan Realised Spa Circuit Was Unlocked - Madness Ensuesa425couple
+- F1 Fan Realised Spa Circuit Was Unlocked - Madness Ensuesgeoff
`* F1 Fan Realised Spa Circuit Was Unlocked - Madness EnsuesJP
 `- F1 Fan Realised Spa Circuit Was Unlocked - Madness EnsuesNews

1
F1 Fan Realised Spa Circuit Was Unlocked - Madness Ensues

<lttAM.339779$U3w1.192008@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=21006&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21006

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
From: a425couple@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: F1 Fan Realised Spa Circuit Was Unlocked - Madness Ensues
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 08:48:33 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 8 Aug 2023 15:48 UTC

from
https://www.si.com/fannation/racing/f1briefings/news/f1-fan-realised-spa-circuit-was-unlocked-madness-ensues-sj4

F1 Fan Realised Spa Circuit Was Unlocked - Madness Ensues
Imagine finding the gates open to a racetrack that just witnessed the GP
a week ago.
SAAJAN JOGIA5 HOURS AGO

Call it a dream come true or just another childish act that could get
him into trouble. Whatever you call it, I find it quite amazing that
this Dutch Formula 1 fan found the gates of Spa-Francorchamps unlocked
just a week after the Belgian Grand Prix. What he did after is what most
car enthusiasts would do, probably. The man took his Saab straight onto
the deserted track and raced around it.

He also took a video of himself driving around the track and even showed
the paddocks as he drove through the pit lane. As usual, the track
looked super wet but that didn't stop him from driving and filming his act.

If you watched the Belgian GP, you'd notice the contrast in the way the
track and everything around looks which is just the opposite of what it
was during the GP. The deserted look emits a sense of isolation but
that's good when you have the track to yourself.

The car being driven by the Dutchman appears to be a Saab pre-facelift
9-3 SportCombi from 2005 or 2006. Surprisingly, it was pretty
responsible of him to be not squealing his tires through the corners.
But you never know, maybe, all of that happened off-camera.

Anyways, it's glad to see someone having fun with their car on such
occasions. The video has received quite a lot of reactions from F1 fans
on Twitter and Reddit, most being hilarious to read just once. I'm
sharing some of them below.

One of the funniest threads:

Screenshot 2023-08-08 150722
Someone revealing that they'd do it too, despite knowing that it would
land them in trouble:

Screenshot 2023-08-08 151736
Here's someone stating the fact:

Screenshot 2023-08-08 151928
Well...

Screenshot 2023-08-08 151928
An important question:

Screenshot 2023-08-08 152348

Re: F1 Fan Realised Spa Circuit Was Unlocked - Madness Ensues

<xL6dnb3y7uq0JU_5nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=21007&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21007

Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 09:48:24 +1200
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
From: geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Tue, 8 Aug 2023 21:48 UTC

On 9/08/2023 3:48 am, a425couple wrote:
> from
> https://www.si.com/fannation/racing/f1briefings/news/f1-fan-realised-spa-circuit-was-unlocked-madness-ensues-sj4
>
> F1 Fan Realised Spa Circuit Was Unlocked - Madness Ensues
> Imagine finding the gates open to a racetrack that just witnessed the GP
> a week ago.
> SAAJAN JOGIA5 HOURS AGO
>
> Call it a dream come true or just another childish act that could get
> him into trouble. Whatever you call it, I find it quite amazing that
> this Dutch Formula 1 fan found the gates of Spa-Francorchamps unlocked
> just a week after the Belgian Grand Prix. What he did after is what most
> car enthusiasts would do, probably. The man took his Saab straight onto
> the deserted track and raced around it.
>
> He also took a video of himself driving around the track and even showed
> the paddocks as he drove through the pit lane. As usual, the track
> looked super wet but that didn't stop him from driving and filming his act.
>
> If you watched the Belgian GP, you'd notice the contrast in the way the
> track and everything around looks which is just the opposite of what it
> was during the GP. The deserted look emits a sense of isolation but
> that's good when you have the track to yourself.
>
> The car being driven by the Dutchman appears to be a Saab pre-facelift
> 9-3 SportCombi from 2005 or 2006. Surprisingly, it was pretty
> responsible of him to be not squealing his tires through the corners.
> But you never know, maybe, all of that happened off-camera.
>
> Anyways, it's glad to see someone having fun with their car on such
> occasions. The video has received quite a lot of reactions from F1 fans
> on Twitter and Reddit, most being hilarious to read just once. I'm
> sharing some of them below.
>
> One of the funniest threads:
>
> Screenshot 2023-08-08 150722
> Someone revealing that they'd do it too, despite knowing that it would
> land them in trouble:
>
> Screenshot 2023-08-08 151736
> Here's someone stating the fact:
>
> Screenshot 2023-08-08 151928
> Well...
>
> Screenshot 2023-08-08 151928
> An important question:
>
> Screenshot 2023-08-08 152348

A pity the whole lap isn't shown anywhere (?)

geoff

Re: F1 Fan Realised Spa Circuit Was Unlocked - Madness Ensues

<f7124727-d15b-4cc1-b7d5-a65ad09980ecn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=21008&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21008

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 04:56:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: jpayne543@gmail.com (JP)
 by: JP - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 11:56 UTC

On Tuesday, August 8, 2023 at 11:48:37 AM UTC-4, a425couple wrote:
> from
> https://www.si.com/fannation/racing/f1briefings/news/f1-fan-realised-spa-circuit-was-unlocked-madness-ensues-sj4
>
> F1 Fan Realised Spa Circuit Was Unlocked - Madness Ensues
> Imagine finding the gates open to a racetrack that just witnessed the GP
> a week ago.
> SAAJAN JOGIA5 HOURS AGO
>
> Call it a dream come true or just another childish act that could get
> him into trouble. Whatever you call it, I find it quite amazing that
> this Dutch Formula 1 fan found the gates of Spa-Francorchamps unlocked
> just a week after the Belgian Grand Prix. What he did after is what most
> car enthusiasts would do, probably. The man took his Saab straight onto
> the deserted track and raced around it.
>
> He also took a video of himself driving around the track and even showed
> the paddocks as he drove through the pit lane. As usual, the track
> looked super wet but that didn't stop him from driving and filming his act.
>
> If you watched the Belgian GP, you'd notice the contrast in the way the
> track and everything around looks which is just the opposite of what it
> was during the GP. The deserted look emits a sense of isolation but
> that's good when you have the track to yourself.
>
> The car being driven by the Dutchman appears to be a Saab pre-facelift
> 9-3 SportCombi from 2005 or 2006. Surprisingly, it was pretty
> responsible of him to be not squealing his tires through the corners.
> But you never know, maybe, all of that happened off-camera.
>
> Anyways, it's glad to see someone having fun with their car on such
> occasions. The video has received quite a lot of reactions from F1 fans
> on Twitter and Reddit, most being hilarious to read just once. I'm
> sharing some of them below.
>
> One of the funniest threads:
>
> Screenshot 2023-08-08 150722
> Someone revealing that they'd do it too, despite knowing that it would
> land them in trouble:
>
> Screenshot 2023-08-08 151736
> Here's someone stating the fact:
>
> Screenshot 2023-08-08 151928
> Well...
>
> Screenshot 2023-08-08 151928
> An important question:
>
> Screenshot 2023-08-08 152348

The exact same thing happened to me here in the States back in the 1970s! I went to college about 20 miles from Watkins Glen. One winter day my roommate and I were bored so we drove out to the circuit to see what it looked like. Lo and behold there was a break in the fence. We managed 2 laps in my BMW 2002 before we got paranoid and scooted out of there. Fantastic experience!

Re: F1 Fan Realised Spa Circuit Was Unlocked - Madness Ensues

<ub00hs$3ujb4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=21009&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21009

From: News@Group.Name (News)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 08:24:28 -0400
 by: News - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 12:24 UTC

On 8/9/2023 7:56 AM, JP wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 8, 2023 at 11:48:37 AM UTC-4, a425couple wrote:
>> from
>> https://www.si.com/fannation/racing/f1briefings/news/f1-fan-realised-spa-circuit-was-unlocked-madness-ensues-sj4
>>
>> F1 Fan Realised Spa Circuit Was Unlocked - Madness Ensues
>> Imagine finding the gates open to a racetrack that just witnessed the GP
>> a week ago.
>> SAAJAN JOGIA5 HOURS AGO
>>
>> Call it a dream come true or just another childish act that could get
>> him into trouble. Whatever you call it, I find it quite amazing that
>> this Dutch Formula 1 fan found the gates of Spa-Francorchamps unlocked
>> just a week after the Belgian Grand Prix. What he did after is what most
>> car enthusiasts would do, probably. The man took his Saab straight onto
>> the deserted track and raced around it.
>>
>> He also took a video of himself driving around the track and even showed
>> the paddocks as he drove through the pit lane. As usual, the track
>> looked super wet but that didn't stop him from driving and filming his act.
>>
>> If you watched the Belgian GP, you'd notice the contrast in the way the
>> track and everything around looks which is just the opposite of what it
>> was during the GP. The deserted look emits a sense of isolation but
>> that's good when you have the track to yourself.
>>
>> The car being driven by the Dutchman appears to be a Saab pre-facelift
>> 9-3 SportCombi from 2005 or 2006. Surprisingly, it was pretty
>> responsible of him to be not squealing his tires through the corners.
>> But you never know, maybe, all of that happened off-camera.
>>
>> Anyways, it's glad to see someone having fun with their car on such
>> occasions. The video has received quite a lot of reactions from F1 fans
>> on Twitter and Reddit, most being hilarious to read just once. I'm
>> sharing some of them below.
>>
>> One of the funniest threads:
>>
>> Screenshot 2023-08-08 150722
>> Someone revealing that they'd do it too, despite knowing that it would
>> land them in trouble:
>>
>> Screenshot 2023-08-08 151736
>> Here's someone stating the fact:
>>
>> Screenshot 2023-08-08 151928
>> Well...
>>
>> Screenshot 2023-08-08 151928
>> An important question:
>>
>> Screenshot 2023-08-08 152348
>
> The exact same thing happened to me here in the States back in the 1970s! I went to college about 20 miles from Watkins Glen. One winter day my roommate and I were bored so we drove out to the circuit to see what it looked like. Lo and behold there was a break in the fence. We managed 2 laps in my BMW 2002 before we got paranoid and scooted out of there. Fantastic experience!

Likewise on open test days, when corner workers frequently took 'pole laps'.