From: shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com (~misfit~)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: Re: **2023 Pool** Race 3, Australia GP
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 11:43:55 +1300
 by: ~misfit~ - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 22:43 UTC

On 30/03/2023 8:47 pm, Sir Tim wrote:
> Mark <mpconmy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> What do you think will be the most likely cause for a change?
>>>
>>> Perhaps we should run a betting pool on various causes, and date.
>>
>> I've watched F1 for 40ish years, and a very long time ago I stopped
>> pretending I could accurately assess form until at least the first 4 or
>> 5 GPs had passed (and even then I get it wrong!).s
>>
>> Between shake-downs of gremlins, seeing performance in different
>> conditions (track, temperature, weather - whatever), it's way too early
>> to call anything. Yes, it looks like RB have the best package by some
>> distance, but there's lots to play for.
>>
>> Of course, early in the season using the last race as a guide to the
>> result for the next race is as good a guess as any...
>>

> Mark: just thinking aloud but it seems to me that the current scoring
> system encourages people to be conservative in their selections because
> there is no extra reward for a bold choice. If, for example, I had selected
> Ocon to win the 2021 Hungarian GP I would have got the same points as I
> would have done had I selected the pole-sitter (Hamilton) and he had won.
>
> Would it be possible to devise some sort of odds-based scoring system,
> perhaps based on results as the season develops?

I've often wondered that, especially as I like to make 'outside' picks (and even get it right now
and then).

However that would be a whole different beast and I dare say much more complicated and hands-on
than the current pool that we have.

That said maybe every three races the weighting could be set based on championship standings or
maybe performance in the previous three races, maybe going 20 points down to one point from back to
front (then multiplying that score by the current system?).

It would certainly cause me to do more research and reading in the days leading up to each race.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Re: **2023 Pool** Race 3, Australia GP

<9a9ed2ce-1b75-4c5b-9221-bd7a99642ee4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=21132&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21132

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 17:21:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: texasgate@gmail.com (texas gate)
 by: texas gate - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 00:21 UTC

On Thursday, March 30, 2023 at 4:43:57 PM UTC-6, ~misfit~ wrote:

> I've often wondered that, especially as I like to make 'outside' picks (and even get it right now
> and then).
>
> However that would be a whole different beast and I dare say much more complicated and hands-on
> than the current pool that we have.
>
> It would certainly cause me to do more research and reading in the days leading up to each race.

you sound queer

sport / rec.autos.sport.f1 / Re: **2023 Pool** Race 3, Australia GP