Winning isn't everything, but losing isn't anything.

sport / rec.autos.sport.f1 / Re: I wouldn't bet against an all British podium tomorrow

SubjectAuthor
* I wouldn't bet against an all British podium tomorrowAlan LeHun
`* I wouldn't bet against an all British podium tomorrowAlan
 `* I wouldn't bet against an all British podium tomorrowSir Tim
  +* I wouldn't bet against an all British podium tomorrowAlan
  |`- I wouldn't bet against an all British podium tomorrowAlan
  `* I wouldn't bet against an all British podium tomorrow~misfit~
   `- I wouldn't bet against an all British podium tomorrowAlan

1
Re: I wouldn't bet against an all British podium tomorrow

<MPG.3f711cc3de918d9e5b@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=21447&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21447

From: try@reply.to (Alan LeHun)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: Re: I wouldn't bet against an all British podium tomorrow
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 15:25:44 +0100
 by: Alan LeHun - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 14:25 UTC

In article <beba70f8-915f-414f-8c51-9a60a0b2c0d3n@googlegroups.com>,
mr_gobrien@yahoo.co.uk says...
> I wouldn't bet against an all British podium finish tomorrow at the Singapore GP - after Qualifying the Red Bulls seem nowhere at that circuit and I don't rate the 2 Ferrari drivers in races - so only incidents and Fernando Alonso might prevent it I say.

You might have gotten that right, If only Sainz hadn't a driven such an
intelligent race. That last 6 laps or so were a masterclass from the
Spanish driver.

Unlike the other Spanish driver.

--
Alan LeHun

Re: I wouldn't bet against an all British podium tomorrow

<ue79lb$evea$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=21448&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21448

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 09:31:39 -0700
 by: Alan - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 16:31 UTC

On 2023-09-17 07:25, Alan LeHun wrote:
> In article <beba70f8-915f-414f-8c51-9a60a0b2c0d3n@googlegroups.com>,
> mr_gobrien@yahoo.co.uk says...
>> I wouldn't bet against an all British podium finish tomorrow at the Singapore GP - after Qualifying the Red Bulls seem nowhere at that circuit and I don't rate the 2 Ferrari drivers in races - so only incidents and Fernando Alonso might prevent it I say.
>>

> You might have gotten that right, If only Sainz hadn't a driven such an
> intelligent race. That last 6 laps or so were a masterclass from the
> Spanish driver.
>
> Unlike the other Spanish driver.

Is there some reason to throw in the gratuitous denigration of...

....well, ANY driver?

Brilliant drive by Sainz. Period.

A great pity for Russell, but it looks like something collapsed on his
car... ...or he might have JUST clipped the concrete barrier before the
corner entry.

Re: I wouldn't bet against an all British podium tomorrow

<kmotv6Fncs2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=21451&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21451

From: no_email@invalid.invalid (Sir Tim)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: 17 Sep 2023 18:13:58 GMT
 by: Sir Tim - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 18:13 UTC

Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2023-09-17 07:25, Alan LeHun wrote:
>> In article <beba70f8-915f-414f-8c51-9a60a0b2c0d3n@googlegroups.com>,
>> mr_gobrien@yahoo.co.uk says...
>>> I wouldn't bet against an all British podium finish tomorrow at the
>>> Singapore GP - after Qualifying the Red Bulls seem nowhere at that
>>> circuit and I don't rate the 2 Ferrari drivers in races - so only
>>> incidents and Fernando Alonso might prevent it I say.
>>>

>> You might have gotten that right, If only Sainz hadn't a driven such an
>> intelligent race. That last 6 laps or so were a masterclass from the
>> Spanish driver.
>>
>> Unlike the other Spanish driver.
>>

> Is there some reason to throw in the gratuitous denigration of...
>
> ...well, ANY driver?
>
> Brilliant drive by Sainz. Period.

Agreed

> A great pity for Russell, but it looks like something collapsed on his
> car... ...or he might have JUST clipped the concrete barrier before the
> corner entry.

I think it was driver error, but under intense pressure. Arguably the team
could have relieved that pressure by ordering Hamilton to back off, but
then the ability to perform at their best under pressure is what separates
the great from the merely good.

Alternatively Merc could have ordered Russell to let Hamilton (whose tyres
seemed to be in better shape) through. But I rather doubt whether George
would have obeyed.

--
Sir Tim

Re: I wouldn't bet against an all British podium tomorrow

<ue7mi0$h6qj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=21452&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21452

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 13:11:44 -0700
 by: Alan - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 20:11 UTC

On 2023-09-17 11:13, Sir Tim wrote:
> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
>> On 2023-09-17 07:25, Alan LeHun wrote:
>>> In article <beba70f8-915f-414f-8c51-9a60a0b2c0d3n@googlegroups.com>,
>>> mr_gobrien@yahoo.co.uk says...
>>>>

>>> You might have gotten that right, If only Sainz hadn't a driven such an
>>> intelligent race. That last 6 laps or so were a masterclass from the
>>> Spanish driver.
>>>
>>> Unlike the other Spanish driver.
>>>

>> Is there some reason to throw in the gratuitous denigration of...
>>
>> ...well, ANY driver?
>>
>> Brilliant drive by Sainz. Period.
>
> Agreed
>
>> A great pity for Russell, but it looks like something collapsed on his
>> car... ...or he might have JUST clipped the concrete barrier before the
>> corner entry.
>
> I think it was driver error, but under intense pressure. Arguably the team
> could have relieved that pressure by ordering Hamilton to back off, but
> then the ability to perform at their best under pressure is what separates
> the great from the merely good.
>
> Alternatively Merc could have ordered Russell to let Hamilton (whose tyres
> seemed to be in better shape) through. But I rather doubt whether George
> would have obeyed.

Yeah... ...I wrote that before I had a chance to see a better replay...

....and hitting a wall while braking for a corner is almost certainly
driver error.

I do think he was hoping to make the best possible exit he could from
that corner for one last push to pass Sainz, and racing at the limit
does mean occasionally going a little past the limit.

Re: I wouldn't bet against an all British podium tomorrow

<ue89r0$kflg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=21454&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21454

From: shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com (~misfit~)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 13:40:48 +1200
 by: ~misfit~ - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 01:40 UTC

On 18/09/2023 6:13 am, Sir Tim wrote:
> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
<snipped>
>> A great pity for Russell, but it looks like something collapsed on his
>> car... ...or he might have JUST clipped the concrete barrier before the
>> corner entry.
>
> I think it was driver error, but under intense pressure.

Norris /just/ clipped the wall directly in front of Russell. I think that, as they were so close
together at the time and Russell was unsighted he took his cue from Norris but just took a wee bit
more of the wall.

It might have been a brilliant play by Norris but I don't think that was the case.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Re: I wouldn't bet against an all British podium tomorrow

<ueaq7s$20qno$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=21455&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21455

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 17:32:58 -0700
 by: Alan - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 00:32 UTC

On 2023-09-17 18:40, ~misfit~ wrote:
> On 18/09/2023 6:13 am, Sir Tim wrote:
>> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> <snipped>
>>> A great pity for Russell, but it looks like something collapsed on his
>>> car... ...or he might have JUST clipped the concrete barrier before the
>>> corner entry.
>>
>> I think it was driver error, but under intense pressure.
>
> Norris /just/ clipped the wall directly in front of Russell. I think
> that, as they were so close together at the time and Russell was
> unsighted he took his cue from Norris but just took a wee bit more of
> the wall.
>
> It might have been a brilliant play by Norris but I don't think that was
> the case.
>
> Cheers,

Well, one factor that's easily overlooked is that drivers are both
braking and turning, and it would only have taken a very small
misjudgment in just how much brake pressure Russell was using at the
time to cause the car to steer just a fraction less than he planned for.

Re: I wouldn't bet against an all British podium tomorrow

<ueg6hj$36isp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=21467&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21467

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 18:33:38 -0700
 by: Alan - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 01:33 UTC

On 2023-09-20 18:18, texas gate wrote:
> On Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 2:11:48 PM UTC-6, Alan wrote:
>
>> Yeah... ...I wrote that before I had a chance to see a better replay...
>
> fuck you and your chances, you fucking cunt

Wow.

You aren't just playing boring...

....are you?