From: pc+usenet@asdf.org (Phil Carmody)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: "Idiot Fernando"?
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2023 19:08:49 +0200
sha1:emrOP1eVYCZddNeTEJ1dbxwE2bY=
 by: Phil Carmody - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 17:08 UTC

100% Ocon?

He was already doing Lada asymmetric braking before he was even alongside.

Phil
--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast

Re: "Idiot Fernando"?

<uioucu$3led4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=21885&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21885

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: Re: "Idiot Fernando"?
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 14:14:53 -0800
 by: Alan - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 22:14 UTC

On 2023-11-04 10:08, Phil Carmody wrote:
> 100% Ocon?
>
> He was already doing Lada asymmetric braking before he was even alongside.
>
> Phil

All I'll say is that Alonso could definitely have left more room. He's
on a cooldown lap, so there was no reason to not go as wide as he could.

If you're going to let a driver on a hot lap go by just after
mid-corner, you'd had better leave as much room as possible, because you
are putting yourself into the trajectory of that car if the driver
screws up.

Go to the inside before or after a corner? The faster car will almost
always move away from you if it loses grip (it COULD do the hookup and
spin inside, but it doesn't seem to happen all that often in F1 these
days). But to be on the outside of the faster car just beyond the apex
means you are precisely where that car will tend to go after a loss of grip.

Alonso had what looked like at least another car's width of room to his
right when Ocon ran into him. Yup. Just review the analysis during the
Sprint Shootout and there is MORE than a car's width to the right of
Alonso's Aston-Martin.

So, yes: Ocon's primarily at fault...

....but Alonso could have saved his team a whole lot of grief by running
through wider than he did, or just slowing more to have come even with
Ocon before the apex rather than after.