On Thanksgiving Day all over America, families sit down to dinner at the same moment -- halftime.

sport / rec.autos.sport.nascar / Re: OT - Le Mans wants hydrogen-only top class by 2030

SubjectAuthor
* OT - Le Mans wants hydrogen-only top class by 2030a425couple
+- OT - Le Mans wants hydrogen-only top class by 2030Edmund
`- OT - Le Mans wants hydrogen-only top class by 2030News

1
OT - Le Mans wants hydrogen-only top class by 2030

<Rm9dM.2245538$Tcw8.1129204@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=262&group=rec.autos.sport.nascar#262

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.sport.nascar,re.autos.sport.cart,rec.autos.sport.indycar
From: a425couple@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: OT - Le Mans wants hydrogen-only top class by 2030
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 15:07:45 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 29 May 2023 22:07 UTC

OT - Is this the most likely wave of the future for motorsports?

from
https://www.autosport.com/le-mans/news/le-mans-wants-hydrogen-only-top-class-by-2030/10474306/

Le Mans wants hydrogen-only top class by 2030
Le Mans 24 Hours organiser the Automobile Club de l’Ouest has outlined a
vision for all cars competing for overall victory to be hydrogen-powered
by 2030.
Gary Watkins
By:
Gary Watkins
May 27, 2023, 7:33 AM
MissionH24 LMPH2G

ACO president Pierre Fillon stated an intent to progressively introduce
the new fuel at the centrepiece round of the World Endurance
Championship between 2026 and the start of the next decade ahead of this
weekend’s Fuji 24 Hours in which Toyota is competing with a
hydrogen-powered Corolla.

The road map he laid down included two key announcements about the new
class for hydrogen-powered prototypes, which the ACO has been planning
since 2018.

The introduction of a category, which is intended to create machinery
capable of winning overall from the outset, has been pushed back by a
year for a second time and is now set for a 2026 debut.

He also confirmed that combustion-engined cars using hydrogen will be
allowed to compete along the zero-emissions fuel cell machinery for
which the class was originally envisaged.

“In 2026, we will have a hydrogen category at Le Mans at the same level
as Hypercar,” said Fillon.

“At Le Mans it's important that we allow manufacturers to test different
technologies: it has been the case for 100 years and we want to continue
to do that.

“The idea is to introduce H2 category progressively after 2026, and the
idea in 2030 to have 100% of the top category with hydrogen.”

Insight: How close is widespread adoption of hydrogen in motorsport?

Fillon has talked openly since last year about a desire to increase the
remit of the hydrogen class to incorporate internal combustion engines
and not just fuel cells, which create electricity via the chemical
reaction between hydrogen and oxygen.

“The fuel cell was initially chosen for its potential, which is still
relevant,” he said at Fuji on Saturday.

“Today, the hydrogen internal combustion engine is also presented as a
possibility for manufacturers.

“We are officially announcing that both technologies, fuel cell and
hydrogen internal combustion engine, will be accepted and authorised for
manufacturers wishing to enter the 24 Hours in the hydrogen category.”

He added that the Balance of Performance would be used to create a level
playing field between the different technologies in use in the hydrogen
class and Hypercar from 2026.

There was no comment on whether the hydrogen category will remain a
one-make chassis formula.

The original intent was that manufacturers taking part would only
produce the fuel cell of the car.

The one-make chassis was announced as a joint-venture between Red Bull
Advanced Technology and French constructor ORECA, while the Franco-Swiss
GreenGT organisation would supply the electric motors.

Koji Sato, president of reigning WEC champion Toyota, reacted
enthusiastically to the announcement from the ACO.

“Today’s announcement is a very significant one, and we are very
positive about it,” he said.

“We’re not ready to make any specific announcements of our own today,
but I hope that in the near future we can make a good announcement with
smiles on our faces.”

Toyota has been racing a car known as the Corolla H2 Concept since 2021.

A new version of the car introduced for this year is the first to run
with the fuel stored in liquid rather than gaseous form.

The ACO has also been experimenting with hydrogen power in fuel cell
form. It launched its MissionH24 initiative in 2018 together with GreenGT.

Two versions of a fuel cell prototype have been built by H24 based on an
ADESS LMP3 chassis.

The initial iteration of the car, known as the LMPH2G, first appeared in
a practice session for the Michelin-sponsored Le Mans Cup on the bill of
the ACO-run European Le Mans Series in 2019.

The race programme of the second car, simply called the H24, took in the
Road to Le Mans support event at last year’s 24 Hours.

Top 10: Ranking the greatest cars never to win Le Mans

Re: OT - Le Mans wants hydrogen-only top class by 2030

<u54l8b$1vc29$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=263&group=rec.autos.sport.nascar#263

From: nomail@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.sport.nascar,re.autos.sport.cart,rec.autos.sport.indycar
Subject: Re: OT - Le Mans wants hydrogen-only top class by 2030
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 13:04:43 +0200
 by: Edmund - Tue, 30 May 2023 11:04 UTC

On 5/30/23 00:07, a425couple wrote:
> [...]
> smiles on our faces.”
>

> Toyota has been racing a car known as the Corolla H2 Concept since 2021.
>
> A new version of the car introduced for this year is the first to run
> with the fuel stored in liquid rather than gaseous form.
>
> The ACO has also been experimenting with hydrogen power in fuel cell
> form. It launched its MissionH24 initiative in 2018 together with GreenGT.
>
> Two versions of a fuel cell prototype have been built by H24 based on an
> ADESS LMP3 chassis.
>
> The initial iteration of the car, known as the LMPH2G, first appeared in
> a practice session for the Michelin-sponsored Le Mans Cup on the bill of
> the ACO-run European Le Mans Series in 2019.
>
> The race programme of the second car, simply called the H24, took in the
> Road to Le Mans support event at last year’s 24 Hours.
>

> Top 10: Ranking the greatest cars never to win Le Mans

Well, lets hope they have enough diesel to make hydrogen.

Edmund

Re: OT - Le Mans wants hydrogen-only top class by 2030

<u557bl$21jre$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=265&group=rec.autos.sport.nascar#265

From: News@Group.Name (News)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.sport.nascar,re.autos.sport.cart,rec.autos.sport.indycar
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 12:13:41 -0400
 by: News - Tue, 30 May 2023 16:13 UTC

On 5/29/2023 6:07 PM, a425couple wrote:
> OT - Is this the most likely wave of the future for motorsports?
>
> from
> https://www.autosport.com/le-mans/news/le-mans-wants-hydrogen-only-top-class-by-2030/10474306/
>
> Le Mans wants hydrogen-only top class by 2030

Formula Z for Zeppelin