From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: USA Today: Chargers' Brandon Staley wants to get Keenan Allen more
involved on early downs
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 12:26:41 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.16
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 16:26 UTC

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2023/07/31/chargers-brandon-staley-keenan-allen-third-down/

Alex Insdorf
July 31, 2023 1:24 pm PT

Head coach Brandon Staley spoke about how wide receiver Keenan Allen has
been performing at training camp so far.

“He’s been so consistent. I think for Kellen (Moore), who’s worked
with a lot of good guys, he’s that guy that you know is gonna be able to
get open no matter what the situation. He’s been a great mentor for the
young receivers. He’s still making plays at a high level, he’s still
able to get the separation.”‘

None of what Staley said should come as a surprise considering how well
Allen’s game and route-running prowess have aged as he enters his 11th
NFL season. What was interesting to hear from Staley though were his
thoughts on Allen’s usage situationally.

You guys know what a big threat he is on 3rd down, but I think on
early downs we’re trying to get him going a little more than he has been
in years past.

For reference, Allen’s third-down production relative to first and
second down was decently higher under former offensive coordinator Joe
Lombardi relative to the rest of his career. Comparing it to the year he
had under former OC Shane Steichen yielded interesting results:

Perhaps a 5.1% uptick in Allen’s production on money downs doesn’t sound
terribly significant, but keep in mind that the Chargers led the league
in third down attempts in 2022. Becoming more predictable on third down
while simultaneously facing most of those situations in the league isn’t
sustainable.

Using Allen more regularly on early downs while mixing in more of Mike
Williams or Quentin Johnston on later downs could make the offense a lot
more versatile. Moore having Williams working out of the slot to seek
out mismatches could play into exactly what Staley’s said about Allen’s
usage.

When asked about who the third receiver was on the roster last week,
Moore replied that the Chargers have “four starters” in this league,
referring to Allen, Williams, Johnston, and Joshua Palmer. Considering
what we’ve seen in camp so far and heard from the coaches, that
statement seems to be indicative of the Chargers wanting to be multiple
in their approach instead of overly relying on Allen to bail them out on
money downs.

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / USA Today: Chargers' Brandon Staley wants to get Keenan Allen more involved on early downs