From: rainbow@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Subject: So this is the tipping point
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 06:17:22 -0400
 by: Popping Mad - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 10:17 UTC

I don't know what is wrong with this team. Certain ly not enough
pitching depth, but they also seem to have forgotten how to control the
strike zone as hitters. I am tired of watching them take strikes that
should have been launched and then chase pitches far and outside.

They had an approach that involved great plate disapline. That has all
but evaporated, as has their defense.

It is a trifecta of below 500 basbeall, even with a healthy starting staff.

Re: So this is the tipping point

<u5q9lq$161ks$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3296&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3296

From: alreadydeleted9@hotmail.com (*ernie)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Subject: Re: So this is the tipping point
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 12:02:00 -0400
 by: *ernie - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 16:02 UTC

On 6/7/2023 6:17 AM, Popping Mad wrote:
> I don't know what is wrong with this team. Certain ly not enough
> pitching depth, but they also seem to have forgotten how to control the
> strike zone as hitters. I am tired of watching them take strikes that
> should have been launched and then chase pitches far and outside.
>
> They had an approach that involved great plate disapline. That has all
> but evaporated, as has their defense.
>
> It is a trifecta of below 500 basbeall, even with a healthy starting staff.

Interesting perspective

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/27-ways-mets-management-has-destroyed-the-team/ar-AA1cfzWX?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=da31e3431a9d4d67ab2a5515a61a91ef&ei=18

Re: So this is the tipping point

<u5u33q$gv6$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3297&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3297

From: rainbow@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 22:33:32 -0400
 by: Popping Mad - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 02:33 UTC

On 6/7/23 12:02, *ernie wrote:
> On 6/7/2023 6:17 AM, Popping Mad wrote:
>> I don't know what is wrong with this team.  Certain ly not enough
>> pitching depth, but they also seem to have forgotten how to control the
>> strike zone as hitters.  I am tired of watching them take strikes that
>> should have been launched and then chase pitches far and outside.
>>
>> They had an approach that involved great plate disapline.  That has all
>> but evaporated, as has their defense.
>>
>> It is a trifecta of below 500 basbeall, even with a healthy starting
>> staff.
>>

> Interesting perspective
>
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/27-ways-mets-management-has-destroyed-the-team/ar-AA1cfzWX?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=da31e3431a9d4d67ab2a5515a61a91ef&ei=18
John Frascella - he is clueless. His dislike of Showwater just proves it.

The only thing right he has is this:

Eppler had a putrid 332-376 record as the Angels' embattled GM, despite
consistently having one of the highest payrolls in MLB. He botched draft
picks, trades and signings with alarming consistency.

accept he is wrong about the draft. He drafted great. His signings suck.

frascell wrote:
Showalter and Eppler drastically mishandled Smith. Did you know that
Dominic Smith was 13th in NL MVP voting as recently as 2020? Showalter
and Eppler never gave him any confidence. They never gave him consistent
at bats or a general feeling of comfort. They killed the confidence of a
talented, young left-handed hitter.

That just means this guy wasn't following the team. Oh and BTW 2020 is
an anonolly covid season...

Smith struggled playing the OF and his hitting deteriated. He was give
a huge chance as DH and to spell ALonso at first and he bombed and
returned to his MLB norms.

This diot wrote:
Eppler's trade of Davis was arguably the worst in recent Mets history.

Oh what an idiot...
Maybe he should had seen the Ryan trade? Amos Otis? Valentine? Javey
Baez? Dykstra? Scott Kazmir? Mickey Lolich? and they traded some has
been to Cincinatti in 1977..

Re: So this is the tipping point

<1244ceaa-e1fb-4d0f-aff5-7c4c208b4885n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3298&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3298

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 05:54:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: tpfeife1@gmail.com (tmp)
 by: tmp - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 12:54 UTC

On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 12:02:05 PM UTC-4, *ernie wrote:
> On 6/7/2023 6:17 AM, Popping Mad wrote:
> > I don't know what is wrong with this team. Certain ly not enough
> > pitching depth, but they also seem to have forgotten how to control the
> > strike zone as hitters. I am tired of watching them take strikes that
> > should have been launched and then chase pitches far and outside.
> >
> > They had an approach that involved great plate disapline. That has all
> > but evaporated, as has their defense.
> >
> > It is a trifecta of below 500 basbeall, even with a healthy starting staff.
> >
> Interesting perspective
>
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/27-ways-mets-management-has-destroyed-the-team/ar-AA1cfzWX?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=da31e3431a9d4d67ab2a5515a61a91ef&ei=18

He makes a couple of valid points, but that's about it. Seemed more interested in coming up with exactly 27 items for his list than anything else.

The Mets are easy pickings for criticism right now. Everything is going wrong. Last night was about as bad of a game as I've seen them play in a long time. And of course when this happens, the manager inevitably gets in the crosshairs. I like Showalter. I grumble about some of his lineup decisions too (for example batting Alvarez 9th, even after he started to hit), but I've done that with just about every manager they've ever had. Big deal. I thought he did a decent job managing the bullpen so far this year, but now that is collapsing too - which was inevitable with all the strain on it due to the starting pitching problems.

The manager can only do so much. Sooner or later, it comes down to the players, especially the ones making big money who are not earning it.