From: mrbrklyn@panix.com (Ruben Safir)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Subject: WTF is going on?
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 21:33:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ruben Safir - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 21:33 UTC

Rays Place Wander Franco on Leave Pending MLB Investigation
The team and the 22-year-old star ‘mutually agreed’ that he would be placed on the restricted list while the league investigates allegations made against him on social media

By Lindsey Adler

Aug. 14, 2023 1:45 pm ET
Wander Franco is one of baseball’s most prominent young stars. Photo: Duane Burleson/Getty Images

Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Wander Franco, one of baseball’s most prominent young stars, was placed on the MLB restricted list on Monday while the league investigates allegations that were made against him on social media over the weekend.

Franco, 22, didn’t play in Sunday afternoon’s game in St. Petersburg, Fla., and didn’t travel with the team to San Francisco on Sunday night.

“The Tampa Bay Rays and Wander Franco have mutually agreed that he will go on the Restricted List and take leave from the Club for the duration of the current road trip,” the Rays said in a statement.

The Rays didn’t detail the nature of the league investigation against Franco. The team is on the road for one week.

The move to put Franco on the restricted list represents the first step in a process that could lead to disciplinary action against him. The league will seek to determine whether there is evidence of a violation of any of its rules and policies while he is on the restricted list. A player can be placed on administrative leave if the preliminary investigation reveals direct evidence that indicates he may have violated league policies. Franco will be paid while on the restricted list, but won’t count against the Rays’ 40-man roster.

On Sunday, the Rays released a statement that said the club was “made aware” of social-media posts about Franco during their game against the Guardians. Manager Kevin Cash said after the 9-2 loss that Franco’s absence from the lineup was unrelated to the allegations against him.

“I’m aware of the speculation, and I’m not going to comment any further on that,” Cash told reporters. “The day off was because it’s a day off.”

Manny Paula, an agent listed for Franco, didn’t respond to a request for comment.

In 2021, following his rookie season, Franco signed an 11-year extension with the Rays worth $182 million.

This season, Franco is hitting .281/.344/.475 (average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage) and was named an All-Star this season as an injury replacement. The Rays are currently 71-49 on the season, and sit in second place in the American League East.

Earlier this season, Franco was benched by the Rays for two games. Cash explained the discipline by saying: “Over the course of this season, there’s been probably multiple times that the way he has handled his frustrations haven’t been the way that we ask our players to uphold being the best teammate.”

Write to Lindsey Adler at Lindsey.Adler@wsj.com

Copyright ©2023 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8
What to Read NextRays Place Wander Franco on Leave Pending MLB Investigation
[...]

Re: WTF is going on?

<9b684bce-5e2d-4d3d-96c4-4ac7e295e2fan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3402&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3402

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 15:03:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: WTF is going on?
From: bhasselback@gmail.com (Hass)
 by: Hass - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 22:03 UTC

On Friday, September 1, 2023 at 4:33:27 PM UTC-5, Ruben Safir wrote:
> [...]
>
> Manny Paula, an agent listed for Franco, didn’t respond to a request for comment.
>
> In 2021, following his rookie season, Franco signed an 11-year extension with the Rays worth $182 million.
>
> This season, Franco is hitting .281/.344/.475 (average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage) and was named an All-Star this season as an injury replacement. The Rays are currently 71-49 on the season, and sit in second place in the American League East.
>
> Earlier this season, Franco was benched by the Rays for two games. Cash explained the discipline by saying: “Over the course of this season, there’s been probably multiple times that the way he has handled his frustrations haven’t been the way that we ask our players to uphold being the best teammate.â€

Welp, looks like he sexually assaulted a 14yo...this has been going on for weeks...you're just catching up now?

Re: WTF is going on?

<xzTJM.63879$KIcf.20265@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3407&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3407

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
From: alreadydeleted9@hotmail.com (*ernie)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 00:51:41 -0400
 by: *ernie - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 04:51 UTC

On 9/1/2023 5:33 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:
> [...]
>
> Manny Paula, an agent listed for Franco, didn’t respond to a request for comment.
>
> In 2021, following his rookie season, Franco signed an 11-year extension with the Rays worth $182 million.
>
> This season, Franco is hitting .281/.344/.475 (average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage) and was named an All-Star this season as an injury replacement. The Rays are currently 71-49 on the season, and sit in second place in the American League East.
>
> Earlier this season, Franco was benched by the Rays for two games. Cash explained the discipline by saying: “Over the course of this season, there’s been probably multiple times that the way he has handled his frustrations haven’t been the way that we ask our players to uphold being the best teammate.”

When it comes to these sex crimes involving kids; where there's smoke,
there's fire. If he spends any time in prison, he'll have a rough go of it