From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Herbert's contract to exceed $50M AAV?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 18:49:39 -0500
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.15
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 23:49 UTC

I don't know how the Chargers will field a team at this number:

--Robin

Guilty As Charged Podcast @GACPodcast17

Expectation around the league is for Justin Herbert’s (and Joe Burrow’s)
contract extension(s) to surpass the $50.3 million AAV currently held by
Aaron Rodgers as QB1 on the market, per ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler.

3:14 PM · Jan 24, 2023

https://twitter.com/GACPodcast17/status/1617979105630375938

Re: Herbert's contract to exceed $50M AAV?

<87r0vje932.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3455&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3455

From: eddiegrove@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Re: Herbert's contract to exceed $50M AAV?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:44:49 -0800
 by: Eddie Grove - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 00:44 UTC

Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> writes:

> I don't know how the Chargers will field a team at this number:
>
> --Robin
>

> Guilty As Charged Podcast @GACPodcast17
>
> Expectation around the league is for Justin Herbert’s (and Joe
> Burrow’s) contract extension(s) to surpass the $50.3 million AAV
> currently held by Aaron Rodgers as QB1 on the market, per ESPN’s
> Jeremy Fowler.
>
> 3:14 PM · Jan 24, 2023
>
> https://twitter.com/GACPodcast17/status/1617979105630375938

Is Steve Young, at 13.1% in 1994, still the highest cap hit of any
superbowl winning QB in the salary cap era? Even that number may be too
high going forward as it was the first year of the salary cap era, and
the effects may not have taken full effect immediately.

Mahomes is at 17.0% which was going to be an interesting test before the
injury, but now if he fails I don't know whether you can blame 17% as
the reason. I will, of course, but I won't be sure.

All these teams run by win-now-pay-later GMs are going to be facing
massive problems when they can't push the can down the road any more.
I'm waiting for the pendulum to swing to teams with 2nd tier QBs.

Re: Herbert's contract to exceed $50M AAV?

<dbdff3cf-88ba-4680-bb28-ef147e4f0466n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3457&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3457

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 19:26:41 -0800 (PST)
From: phlash74@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 03:26 UTC

On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 4:44:52 PM UTC-8, Eddie Grove wrote:
> Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> writes:
>
> > I don't know how the Chargers will field a team at this number:
> >
> > --Robin
> >

> > Guilty As Charged Podcast @GACPodcast17
> >
> > Expectation around the league is for Justin Herbert’s (and Joe
> > Burrow’s) contract extension(s) to surpass the $50.3 million AAV
> > currently held by Aaron Rodgers as QB1 on the market, per ESPN’s
> > Jeremy Fowler.
> >
> > 3:14 PM · Jan 24, 2023
> >
> > https://twitter.com/GACPodcast17/status/1617979105630375938
> Is Steve Young, at 13.1% in 1994, still the highest cap hit of any
> superbowl winning QB in the salary cap era? Even that number may be too
> high going forward as it was the first year of the salary cap era, and
> the effects may not have taken full effect immediately.
>
> Mahomes is at 17.0% which was going to be an interesting test before the
> injury, but now if he fails I don't know whether you can blame 17% as
> the reason. I will, of course, but I won't be sure.
>
> All these teams run by win-now-pay-later GMs are going to be facing
> massive problems when they can't push the can down the road any more.
> I'm waiting for the pendulum to swing to teams with 2nd tier QBs.

I really think the NFL needs to do something about this problem. I'd allow teams to exempt say half the QB's salary from the cap. You still get punished if you overpay an average one like Derek Carr or Carson Wentz, but teams with actual veteran stars at the position could pay market value without crippling the rest of their team building. As it stands, teams with good to great QBs on rookie contracts have a massive advantage, and the teams that have already paid their franchise QB either have to mortgage the future to try to win now (it worked for the Rams last year, but they had one of the worst Super Bowl hangovers of all time) or hope the QB is good enough to win with young players at key positions (which might work OK in the regular season but usually bites them in the playoffs).

Michael

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Re: Herbert's contract to exceed $50M AAV?