From: rainbow@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Subject: Keith in the Hall of Fame
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:03:15 -0400
 by: Popping Mad - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 15:03 UTC

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2023/4/20/23692045/keith-hernandez-belongs-in-cooperstown

The Dertinger and Dertinger approach involves the repurposing of
software known as ToxPi[iv] to analyze MLB players' performance. The
initial reports demonstrated that the program and its output are
particularly useful for ranking, categorizing, and generally comparing
the performance of multiple players. The Hernandez controversy
encouraged me to investigate whether this flexible data analysis tool
might help the baseball community objectively consider HoF candidates,
including those that, rightly or wrongly, have been passed over. Thus,
the current project involved comparing Hernandez's performance to his
contemporaries, as well several HoF first basemen that did not overlap
with him in order to provide additional benchmarking opportunities. To
my knowledge, Keith Hernandez is the first such player to be evaluated
in this way, for this purpose.

Re: Keith in the Hall of Fame

<8521fd41-14c3-401a-b456-86461e29386cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3556&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3556

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 09:57:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Keith in the Hall of Fame
From: bhasselback@gmail.com (Hass)
 by: Hass - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 16:57 UTC

On Saturday, April 22, 2023 at 10:03:23 AM UTC-5, Popping Mad wrote:
> https://www.amazinavenue.com/2023/4/20/23692045/keith-hernandez-belongs-in-cooperstown
>
> The Dertinger and Dertinger approach involves the repurposing of
> software known as ToxPi[iv] to analyze MLB players' performance. The
> initial reports demonstrated that the program and its output are
> particularly useful for ranking, categorizing, and generally comparing
> the performance of multiple players. The Hernandez controversy
> encouraged me to investigate whether this flexible data analysis tool
> might help the baseball community objectively consider HoF candidates,
> including those that, rightly or wrongly, have been passed over. Thus,
> the current project involved comparing Hernandez's performance to his
> contemporaries, as well several HoF first basemen that did not overlap
> with him in order to provide additional benchmarking opportunities. To
> my knowledge, Keith Hernandez is the first such player to be evaluated
> in this way, for this purpose.

I have yet to encounter anyone who says Keith doesn't belong...who knows what the problem is. He's hands down the greatest defender ever at that (albeit not elite) position. You'd think it would be a given that the best defensive player at ANY position should be in the HoF. Is Ozzie in there for his bat? Keith has 11 GG (most ever for a 1B) and led in TZR 8 times, another record. And it's not like he had no bat...never had the power that usually comes along with playing a corner position, but Christ...128 OPS+ is more than enough.

Re: Keith in the Hall of Fame

<u21qb6$3ffsf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3557&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3557

From: alreadydeleted9@hotmail.com (*ernie)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 19:24:22 -0400
 by: *ernie - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 23:24 UTC

On 4/22/2023 12:57 PM, Hass wrote:
> On Saturday, April 22, 2023 at 10:03:23 AM UTC-5, Popping Mad wrote:
>> https://www.amazinavenue.com/2023/4/20/23692045/keith-hernandez-belongs-in-cooperstown
>>
>> The Dertinger and Dertinger approach involves the repurposing of
>> software known as ToxPi[iv] to analyze MLB players' performance. The
>> initial reports demonstrated that the program and its output are
>> particularly useful for ranking, categorizing, and generally comparing
>> the performance of multiple players. The Hernandez controversy
>> encouraged me to investigate whether this flexible data analysis tool
>> might help the baseball community objectively consider HoF candidates,
>> including those that, rightly or wrongly, have been passed over. Thus,
>> the current project involved comparing Hernandez's performance to his
>> contemporaries, as well several HoF first basemen that did not overlap
>> with him in order to provide additional benchmarking opportunities. To
>> my knowledge, Keith Hernandez is the first such player to be evaluated
>> in this way, for this purpose.
>
> I have yet to encounter anyone who says Keith doesn't belong...who knows what the problem is. He's hands down the greatest defender ever at that (albeit not elite) position. You'd think it would be a given that the best defensive player at ANY position should be in the HoF. Is Ozzie in there for his bat? Keith has 11 GG (most ever for a 1B) and led in TZR 8 times, another record. And it's not like he had no bat...never had the power that usually comes along with playing a corner position, but Christ...128 OPS+ is more than enough.

Hernandez has become a public personality, and right or wrong, are
judged by a different standard than those who were just athletes.
Something he said must have rubbed some people the wrong way, or it
could be they're punishing him for his cocaine days in St. Louis.
Whatever the reason, it's bullshit. Keith Hernandez belongs in the HOF.

Re: Keith in the Hall of Fame

<u23j4k$has$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3558&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3558

From: mrbrklyn@panix.com (Ruben Safir)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 15:33:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ruben Safir - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 15:33 UTC

*ernie <alreadydeleted9@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/22/2023 12:57 PM, Hass wrote:
>> On Saturday, April 22, 2023 at 10:03:23???AM UTC-5, Popping Mad wrote:
>>> https://www.amazinavenue.com/2023/4/20/23692045/keith-hernandez-belongs-in-cooperstown
>>>
>>> The Dertinger and Dertinger approach involves the repurposing of
>>> software known as ToxPi[iv] to analyze MLB players' performance. The
>>> initial reports demonstrated that the program and its output are
>>> particularly useful for ranking, categorizing, and generally comparing
>>> the performance of multiple players. The Hernandez controversy
>>> encouraged me to investigate whether this flexible data analysis tool
>>> might help the baseball community objectively consider HoF candidates,
>>> including those that, rightly or wrongly, have been passed over. Thus,
>>> the current project involved comparing Hernandez's performance to his
>>> contemporaries, as well several HoF first basemen that did not overlap
>>> with him in order to provide additional benchmarking opportunities. To
>>> my knowledge, Keith Hernandez is the first such player to be evaluated
>>> in this way, for this purpose.
>>
>> I have yet to encounter anyone who says Keith doesn't belong...who knows what the problem is. He's hands down the greatest defender ever at that (albeit not elite) position. You'd think it would be a given that the best defensive player at ANY position should be in the HoF. Is Ozzie in there for his bat? Keith has 11 GG (most ever for a 1B) and led in TZR 8 times, another record. And it's not like he had no bat...never had the power that usually comes along with playing a corner position, but Christ...128 OPS+ is more than enough.
>

> Hernandez has become a public personality, and right or wrong, are
> judged by a different standard than those who were just athletes.
> Something he said must have rubbed some people the wrong way, or it
> could be they're punishing him for his cocaine days in St. Louis.
> Whatever the reason, it's bullshit. Keith Hernandez belongs in the HOF.

Usually the knock on his HoF chances are two fold

A) seemingly weekish offensive numbers, which is actually not true when
one accounts for the stadium and the era he played in

B) He didn't last as long as he could had.

They also underplay his defensive contribution but I'm not sure this
article accurately portays it either.

Re: Keith in the Hall of Fame

<de8de8d2-4272-4d69-8f53-44e90436bb16n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3560&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3560

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 09:38:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: lowhertz@gmail.com (Maestro)
 by: Maestro - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 16:38 UTC

On Sunday, April 23, 2023 at 8:33:42 AM UTC-7, Ruben Safir wrote:
> *ernie <already...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> I have yet to encounter anyone who says Keith doesn't belong...who knows what the problem is. He's hands down the greatest defender ever at that (albeit not elite) position. You'd think it would be a given that the best defensive player at ANY position should be in the HoF. Is Ozzie in there for his bat? Keith has 11 GG (most ever for a 1B) and led in TZR 8 times, another record. And it's not like he had no bat...never had the power that usually comes along with playing a corner position, but Christ...128 OPS+ is more than enough.
> >

> > Hernandez has become a public personality, and right or wrong, are
> > judged by a different standard than those who were just athletes.
> > Something he said must have rubbed some people the wrong way, or it
> > could be they're punishing him for his cocaine days in St. Louis.
> > Whatever the reason, it's bullshit. Keith Hernandez belongs in the HOF.
> >

> Usually the knock on his HoF chances are two fold
>
> A) seemingly weekish offensive numbers, which is actually not true when
> one accounts for the stadium and the era he played in
>
> B) He didn't last as long as he could had.
>
> They also underplay his defensive contribution but I'm not sure this
> article accurately portays it either.

I think Keith Hernandez does belong in the Hall of Fame. He was an excellent player for a long time, and he won a lot of awards. He was a 10-time All-Star, 11-time Gold Glove winner, and 1979 NL MVP. He also won two World Series championships with the St. Louis Cardinals and New York Mets.

Hernandez was a great defensive first baseman, and he also had a good bat. He had a career batting average of .296, and he hit 212 home runs and 1,071 RBIs. He also had a career on-base percentage of .384 and a career slugging percentage of .490.

Re: Keith in the Hall of Fame

<cc111c6c-f652-4839-9175-b4da8a2837dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3561&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3561

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 09:43:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: tpfeife1@gmail.com (tmp)
 by: tmp - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 16:43 UTC

On Sunday, April 23, 2023 at 12:38:55 PM UTC-4, Maestro wrote:
> On Sunday, April 23, 2023 at 8:33:42 AM UTC-7, Ruben Safir wrote:
> > *ernie <already...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hernandez has become a public personality, and right or wrong, are
> > > judged by a different standard than those who were just athletes.
> > > Something he said must have rubbed some people the wrong way, or it
> > > could be they're punishing him for his cocaine days in St. Louis.
> > > Whatever the reason, it's bullshit. Keith Hernandez belongs in the HOF.
> > >

> > Usually the knock on his HoF chances are two fold
> >
> > A) seemingly weekish offensive numbers, which is actually not true when
> > one accounts for the stadium and the era he played in
> >
> > B) He didn't last as long as he could had.
> >
> > They also underplay his defensive contribution but I'm not sure this
> > article accurately portays it either.
> I think Keith Hernandez does belong in the Hall of Fame. He was an excellent player for a long time, and he won a lot of awards. He was a 10-time All-Star, 11-time Gold Glove winner, and 1979 NL MVP. He also won two World Series championships with the St. Louis Cardinals and New York Mets.
>
> Hernandez was a great defensive first baseman, and he also had a good bat.. He had a career batting average of .296, and he hit 212 home runs and 1,071 RBIs. He also had a career on-base percentage of .384 and a career slugging percentage of .490.

He definitely qualifies for the reasons you listed plus, to add to the list, he was also a very good baserunner (smart, good fundamentals). Two things that did hurt him are that he played essentially his entire career in pitchers' ballparks (Shea and Busch), and that he played 1st base - the Rodney Dangerfield of defensive baseball positions. Despite that, I think that he will eventually get in - hopefully sooner rather than later. FWIW, when I watched him play, it FELT like he was a future Hall Of Famer.