From: mrbrklyn@panix.com (Ruben Safir)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Subject: Soto deal looks good
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 22:29:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ruben Safir - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 22:29 UTC

You have to like the Yankees deal for Soto. They picked up a future HoF
at age 25. When he does well, there is no reason to believe that the
won't resign him and t helps them aquire that Japanese pitcher that
everyone is drooling over. The Yankees and the Philies always seem to
get the prime players in baseball

Re: Soto deal looks good

<uNwcN.4037$83n7.1025@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3632&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3632

Subject: Re: Soto deal looks good
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
From: alreadydeleted9@hotmail.com (*ernie)
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 23:17:30 -0500
 by: *ernie - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 04:17 UTC

On 12/7/2023 5:29 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:
> You have to like the Yankees deal for Soto. They picked up a future HoF
> at age 25. When he does well, there is no reason to believe that the
> won't resign him and t helps them aquire that Japanese pitcher that
> everyone is drooling over. The Yankees and the Philies always seem to
> get the prime players in baseball

Investing big bucks on a starting pitcher rarely, if ever, works out.
Maybe you get a decent season or two, but then it levels off. Investing
in everyday stars is the way to go (Soto, Ohtani). The best signing the
Mets have made is Lindor. He may not be a superstar but he is a star.
The money thrown at those 2 last year was ridiculous and nothing more
than a public relations gesture to show the fans "we're back and
serious". The Mets should offer this Yamamoto a big bucks 3 year deal
with a team option after 2.

Re: Soto deal looks good

<uku626$o4a$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3633&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3633

From: rainbow@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 23:29:08 -0500
 by: Popping Mad - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 04:29 UTC

On 12/7/23 23:17, *ernie wrote:
> On 12/7/2023 5:29 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:
>> You have to like the Yankees deal for Soto.  They picked up a future HoF
>> at age 25.  When he does well, there is no reason to believe that the
>> won't resign him and t helps them aquire that Japanese pitcher that
>> everyone is drooling over.  The Yankees and the Philies always seem to
>> get the prime players in baseball
>>

> Investing big bucks on a starting pitcher rarely, if ever, works out.
> Maybe you get a decent season or two, but then it levels off. Investing
> in everyday stars is the way to go (Soto, Ohtani). The best signing the
> Mets have made is Lindor. He may not be a superstar but he is a star.
> The money thrown at those 2 last year was ridiculous and nothing more
> than a public relations gesture to show the fans "we're back and
> serious". The Mets should offer this Yamamoto a big bucks 3 year deal
> with a team option after 2.

It works for Gerrit Cole and a little know pitcher named Greg Maddax.

Re: Soto deal looks good

<uku63j$o4a$2@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3634&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3634

From: rainbow@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 23:29:53 -0500

On 12/7/23 23:17, *ernie wrote:
> On 12/7/2023 5:29 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:
>> You have to like the Yankees deal for Soto.  They picked up a future HoF
>> at age 25.  When he does well, there is no reason to believe that the
>> won't resign him and t helps them aquire that Japanese pitcher that
>> everyone is drooling over.  The Yankees and the Philies always seem to
>> get the prime players in baseball
>>

> Investing big bucks on a starting pitcher rarely, if ever, works out.
> Maybe you get a decent season or two, but then it levels off. Investing
> in everyday stars is the way to go (Soto, Ohtani). The best signing the
> Mets have made is Lindor. He may not be a superstar but he is a star.
> The money thrown at those 2 last year was ridiculous and nothing more
> than a public relations gesture to show the fans "we're back and
> serious". The Mets should offer this Yamamoto a big bucks 3 year deal
> with a team option after 2.
'

anyway, the thing is I doubt he will want to go to the Mets

Re: Soto deal looks good

<ul1fp2$ep9$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3635&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3635

From: mrbrklyn@panix.com (Ruben Safir)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 10:33:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ruben Safir - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 10:33 UTC

*ernie <alreadydeleted9@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/7/2023 5:29 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:
>> You have to like the Yankees deal for Soto. They picked up a future HoF
>> at age 25. When he does well, there is no reason to believe that the
>> won't resign him and t helps them aquire that Japanese pitcher that
>> everyone is drooling over. The Yankees and the Philies always seem to
>> get the prime players in baseball
>>

> Investing big bucks on a starting pitcher rarely, if ever, works out.

It might have bad odds to invest in Pitching but that is better than the
odds if you don't.

regardless of the odds, if you want to win you must invest in pitching.

> Maybe you get a decent season or two, but then it levels off. Investing
> in everyday stars is the way to go (Soto, Ohtani). The best signing the
> Mets have made is Lindor. He may not be a superstar but he is a star.
> The money thrown at those 2 last year was ridiculous and nothing more
> than a public relations gesture to show the fans "we're back and
> serious". The Mets should offer this Yamamoto a big bucks 3 year deal
> with a team option after 2.

Re: Soto deal looks good

<645dN.4788$xHn7.2445@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3636&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3636

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
From: alreadydeleted9@hotmail.com (*ernie)
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 16:34:58 -0500
 by: *ernie - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 21:34 UTC

On 12/9/2023 5:33 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:
> *ernie <alreadydeleted9@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12/7/2023 5:29 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:
>>> You have to like the Yankees deal for Soto. They picked up a future HoF
>>> at age 25. When he does well, there is no reason to believe that the
>>> won't resign him and t helps them aquire that Japanese pitcher that
>>> everyone is drooling over. The Yankees and the Philies always seem to
>>> get the prime players in baseball
>>>

>> Investing big bucks on a starting pitcher rarely, if ever, works out.
>
> It might have bad odds to invest in Pitching but that is better than the
> odds if you don't.
>
> regardless of the odds, if you want to win you must invest in pitching.

I'm not disagreeing with you. What a team needs in pitching is not the
star getting paid 200-300 million, they need that same pitcher as he was
building his way to that mega deal. Look at the deal Philly gave
Wheeler; 5 years at 100m, and then look at Scherzer and Verlander, same
money, less years, less production. A good GM knows where to find these
guys,
..

Re: Soto deal looks good

<4575fd80-6e45-476a-8079-5209e26624e5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3637&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3637

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 08:03:55 -0800 (PST)
From: tpfeife1@gmail.com (tmp)
 by: tmp - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 16:03 UTC

On Saturday, December 9, 2023 at 4:35:02 PM UTC-5, *ernie wrote:
> On 12/9/2023 5:33 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:
> > *ernie <already...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>>

> >> Investing big bucks on a starting pitcher rarely, if ever, works out.
> >
> > It might have bad odds to invest in Pitching but that is better than the
> > odds if you don't.
> >
> > regardless of the odds, if you want to win you must invest in pitching.
> I'm not disagreeing with you. What a team needs in pitching is not the
> star getting paid 200-300 million, they need that same pitcher as he was
> building his way to that mega deal. Look at the deal Philly gave
> Wheeler; 5 years at 100m, and then look at Scherzer and Verlander, same
> money, less years, less production. A good GM knows where to find these
> guys,
> .

They also need to develop some of their own pitchers. Who was the last decent starting pitcher to come from the Mets farm system? I'm not talking about a Cy Young candidate, just someone who can be a reasonably reliable starter and hold down a spot in the rotation with 30 starts and a sub 4.00 ERA (or even sub 4.50). The closest recently has been Megill - and he's been pretty marginal, averaging 17 starts and a 4.72 ERA over 3 seasons.

This is something that I'm hoping that David Stearns can start getting turned around.