Ever feel like life was a game and you had the wrong instruction book?

sport / alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets / Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81

SubjectAuthor
* Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81ernie*
`* Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81tmp6986
 +* Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81*ernie
 |`- Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81tmp6986
 `* Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81Ruben Safir
  `* Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81tmp6986
   +- Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81Popping Mad
   `* Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81Ruben Safir
    `* Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81tmp6986
     `* Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81Ruben Safir
      `* Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81ernie*
       `- Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81Popping Mad

1
Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81

<uv1jn5$3n69m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3751&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3751

From: alreadydeleted9@hotmail.com (ernie*)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Subject: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:23:04 -0400
 by: ernie* - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 20:23 UTC

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/jerry-grote-world-series-champion-catcher-with-the-mets-dead-at-81/ar-BB1lgTWG

I feel another part of my childhood has been ripped away. He was the
backbone of one of the great young pitching staffs in baseball lore. A
true Met. RIP Jerry Grote

--
ernie k.
alreadydeleted9@hotmail.com

Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81

<uv3e63$7tks$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3752&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3752

From: dont@tryit.com (tmp6986)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Subject: Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at
81
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 09:00:48 -0400
 by: tmp6986 - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 13:00 UTC

On 4/8/2024 4:23 PM, ernie* wrote:
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/jerry-grote-world-series-champion-catcher-with-the-mets-dead-at-81/ar-BB1lgTWG
>

> I feel another part of my childhood has been ripped away. He was the
> backbone of one of the great young pitching staffs in baseball lore. A
> true Met. RIP Jerry Grote

That's true, and this is very sad to hear. Grote, of course, was a huge
piece of that Mets team that went to 2 World Series in 1969 and 1973. I
believe he caught every inning both times, both WS and the LCS too.

Similar to Buddy Harrelson at SS, you never had to worry about the
catcher defense when Grote was back there. He took care of it and then
some. He was incredible at foul pop ups and throwing out baserunners,
and absolutely had the trust of the pitchers.

One of my fondest baseball memories was being in the stands to watch him
hit a walk off HR at the 1969 Helmet Day game - and the right fielder
watching it sail over the fence was a guy named Henry Aaron.

Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81

<6616f240$1$1258340$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3753&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3753

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 16:10:37 -0400
81
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
From: alreadydeleted9@hotmail.com (*ernie)
 by: *ernie - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 20:10 UTC

On 4/9/2024 9:00 AM, tmp6986 wrote:
> On 4/8/2024 4:23 PM, ernie* wrote:
>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/jerry-grote-world-series-champion-catcher-with-the-mets-dead-at-81/ar-BB1lgTWG
>>

>> I feel another part of my childhood has been ripped away. He was the
>> backbone of one of the great young pitching staffs in baseball lore. A
>> true Met. RIP Jerry Grote
>>

> That's true, and this is very sad to hear. Grote, of course, was a huge
> piece of that Mets team that went to 2 World Series in 1969 and 1973. I
> believe he caught every inning both times, both WS and the LCS too.
>
> Similar to Buddy Harrelson at SS, you never had to worry about the
> catcher defense when Grote was back there. He took care of it and then
> some. He was incredible at foul pop ups and throwing out baserunners,
> and absolutely had the trust of the pitchers.
>
> One of my fondest baseball memories was being in the stands to watch him
> hit a walk off HR at the 1969 Helmet Day game - and the right fielder
> watching it sail over the fence was a guy named Henry Aaron.

Those were great days to be young. Helmet Day, Banner Day and the "Sign
Man", Karl Ehrhardt. My mom would give me $2 and a sandwich and we could
sit through a double header in the upper deck. She'd drop us off outside
the gate and pick us up after the game. We lived in the Bronx then. You
could do that back in the 60s and early 70s; drop your kid off at the
ballpark and not worry about him. People looked out for each other then.
I was with my mom (who was a HUGE fan) the night they clinched the NL
East. Ed Charles HR sailed over out heads in left field. She wouldn't
let me go down on the field after the game but the neighbor we went to
the game with got me some grass. I sealed it in a air tight bag and kept
it for years. I gave my ticket stub and grass to my son when I thought
he was old enough to appreciate it. I told him it's the most valuable
thing you own that nobody will give you a cent for (No way to prove it's
the real thing). He still has it and says he's passing it on to his son

Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81

<uv8vmg$a2j$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3754&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3754

From: mrbrklyn@panix.com (Ruben Safir)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 15:30:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ruben Safir - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 15:30 UTC

That was the first game I ever went to

tmp6986 <dont@tryit.com> wrote:
> On 4/8/2024 4:23 PM, ernie* wrote:
>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/jerry-grote-world-series-champion-catcher-with-the-mets-dead-at-81/ar-BB1lgTWG
>>

>> I feel another part of my childhood has been ripped away. He was the
>> backbone of one of the great young pitching staffs in baseball lore. A
>> true Met. RIP Jerry Grote
>>

> That's true, and this is very sad to hear. Grote, of course, was a huge
> piece of that Mets team that went to 2 World Series in 1969 and 1973. I
> believe he caught every inning both times, both WS and the LCS too.
>
> Similar to Buddy Harrelson at SS, you never had to worry about the
> catcher defense when Grote was back there. He took care of it and then
> some. He was incredible at foul pop ups and throwing out baserunners,
> and absolutely had the trust of the pitchers.
>
> One of my fondest baseball memories was being in the stands to watch him
> hit a walk off HR at the 1969 Helmet Day game - and the right fielder
> watching it sail over the fence was a guy named Henry Aaron.

Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81

<uv95h9$1q0vd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3755&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3755

From: dont@tryit.com (tmp6986)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
81
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 13:09:59 -0400
 by: tmp6986 - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 17:09 UTC

On 4/10/2024 4:10 PM, *ernie wrote:
> On 4/9/2024 9:00 AM, tmp6986 wrote:
>> On 4/8/2024 4:23 PM, ernie* wrote:
>>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/jerry-grote-world-series-champion-catcher-with-the-mets-dead-at-81/ar-BB1lgTWG
>>>

>>> I feel another part of my childhood has been ripped away. He was the
>>> backbone of one of the great young pitching staffs in baseball lore.
>>> A true Met. RIP Jerry Grote
>>>

>> That's true, and this is very sad to hear. Grote, of course, was a
>> huge piece of that Mets team that went to 2 World Series in 1969 and
>> 1973. I believe he caught every inning both times, both WS and the LCS
>> too.
>>
>> Similar to Buddy Harrelson at SS, you never had to worry about the
>> catcher defense when Grote was back there. He took care of it and then
>> some. He was incredible at foul pop ups and throwing out baserunners,
>> and absolutely had the trust of the pitchers.
>>
>> One of my fondest baseball memories was being in the stands to watch
>> him hit a walk off HR at the 1969 Helmet Day game - and the right
>> fielder watching it sail over the fence was a guy named Henry Aaron.
>>

> Those were great days to be young. Helmet Day, Banner Day and the "Sign
> Man", Karl Ehrhardt. My mom would give me $2 and a sandwich and we could
> sit through a double header in the upper deck. She'd drop us off outside
> the gate and pick us up after the game. We lived in the Bronx then. You
> could do that back in the 60s and early 70s; drop your kid off at the
> ballpark and not worry about him. People looked out for each other then.
> I was with my mom (who was a HUGE fan) the night they clinched the NL
> East. Ed Charles HR sailed over out heads in left field. She wouldn't
> let me go down on the field after the game but the neighbor we went to
> the game with got me some grass. I sealed it in a air tight bag and kept
> it for years. I gave my ticket stub and grass to my son when I thought
> he was old enough to appreciate it. I told him it's the most valuable
> thing you own that nobody will give you a cent for (No way to prove it's
> the real thing). He still has it and says he's passing it on to his son

Well *you* know it's the real thing, so that counts for something! That
was a great night though, even watching it on TV as I did. I had the
pleasure of hearing Lindsay Nelson call the game winning moment. And
then the melee started...

You were fortunate though in terms of going to games. As a kid, I saw a
total of 2 Mets Helmet Day games (went with a large family group both
times), and one Yankee game (with a church group) - and that was it. We
lived about 2.5 hours from the city, and it just wasn't in the cards to
get there very often.

Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81

<uv96at$1q0vd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3756&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3756

From: dont@tryit.com (tmp6986)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
81
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 13:23:41 -0400
 by: tmp6986 - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 17:23 UTC

On 4/11/2024 11:30 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:
> That was the first game I ever went to
>

> tmp6986 <dont@tryit.com> wrote:
>> On 4/8/2024 4:23 PM, ernie* wrote:
>>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/jerry-grote-world-series-champion-catcher-with-the-mets-dead-at-81/ar-BB1lgTWG
>>>

>>> I feel another part of my childhood has been ripped away. He was the
>>> backbone of one of the great young pitching staffs in baseball lore. A
>>> true Met. RIP Jerry Grote
>>>

>> That's true, and this is very sad to hear. Grote, of course, was a huge
>> piece of that Mets team that went to 2 World Series in 1969 and 1973. I
>> believe he caught every inning both times, both WS and the LCS too.
>>
>> Similar to Buddy Harrelson at SS, you never had to worry about the
>> catcher defense when Grote was back there. He took care of it and then
>> some. He was incredible at foul pop ups and throwing out baserunners,
>> and absolutely had the trust of the pitchers.
>>
>> One of my fondest baseball memories was being in the stands to watch him
>> hit a walk off HR at the 1969 Helmet Day game - and the right fielder
>> watching it sail over the fence was a guy named Henry Aaron.

On top of it being Helmet Day with a full house, it was a great game
too. I just looked up the box score to refresh my memory a little. They
were down 5-0, then came back to tie it, then win in the 11th.

Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81

<uva0gg$epd$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3758&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3758

From: rainbow@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
81
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 20:49:50 -0400
 by: Popping Mad - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 00:49 UTC

On 4/11/24 13:23, tmp6986 wrote:
> hen came back to tie it, then win in the 11th.

As a 6 year old I was fratinizing with the ballpen talking to the
relivers. I distintly remember it being extra innings. My mother
would never let us forget.

Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81

<uvbgok$bc5$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3762&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3762

From: mrbrklyn@panix.com (Ruben Safir)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 14:33:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ruben Safir - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 14:33 UTC

tmp6986 <dont@tryit.com> wrote:
> On 4/11/2024 11:30 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:
>> That was the first game I ever went to
>>

>> tmp6986 <dont@tryit.com> wrote:

>>> That's true, and this is very sad to hear. Grote, of course, was a huge
>>> piece of that Mets team that went to 2 World Series in 1969 and 1973. I
>>> believe he caught every inning both times, both WS and the LCS too.
>>>
>>> Similar to Buddy Harrelson at SS, you never had to worry about the
>>> catcher defense when Grote was back there. He took care of it and then
>>> some. He was incredible at foul pop ups and throwing out baserunners,
>>> and absolutely had the trust of the pitchers.
>>>
>>> One of my fondest baseball memories was being in the stands to watch him
>>> hit a walk off HR at the 1969 Helmet Day game - and the right fielder
>>> watching it sail over the fence was a guy named Henry Aaron.
>>>

> On top of it being Helmet Day with a full house, it was a great game
> too. I just looked up the box score to refresh my memory a little. They
> were down 5-0, then came back to tie it, then win in the 11th.

I remember it being extra innings and spending the end of the game
talking to the pitchers in the ballpen from the bleechers.

quite impressive to a 6 year old.

Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81

<uvgp9s$3m7sc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3771&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3771

From: dont@tryit.com (tmp6986)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
81
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 10:30:18 -0400
 by: tmp6986 - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 14:30 UTC

On 4/12/2024 10:33 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:
> tmp6986 <dont@tryit.com> wrote:
>> On 4/11/2024 11:30 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:
>>> That was the first game I ever went to

>> On top of it being Helmet Day with a full house, it was a great game
>> too. I just looked up the box score to refresh my memory a little. They
>> were down 5-0, then came back to tie it, then win in the 11th.
>>

> I remember it being extra innings and spending the end of the game
> talking to the pitchers in the ballpen from the bleechers.
>
> quite impressive to a 6 year old.

I can imagine. We were in the Mezzanine on the first base side for that
one. Had a good view of Grote's HR going over the RF fence. No where
near the bullpens, but I do remember getting a big kick out of starting
a massive LGM chant along with my brother. There were no scoreboard
prompts needed!

Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81

<uvgsue$5ak$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3772&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3772

From: mrbrklyn@panix.com (Ruben Safir)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 15:32:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ruben Safir - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 15:32 UTC

tmp6986 <dont@tryit.com> wrote:
> On 4/12/2024 10:33 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:
>> tmp6986 <dont@tryit.com> wrote:

>>> On top of it being Helmet Day with a full house, it was a great game
>>> too. I just looked up the box score to refresh my memory a little. They
>>> were down 5-0, then came back to tie it, then win in the 11th.
>>>

>> I remember it being extra innings and spending the end of the game
>> talking to the pitchers in the ballpen from the bleechers.
>>
>> quite impressive to a 6 year old.
>>

> I can imagine. We were in the Mezzanine on the first base side for that
> one. Had a good view of Grote's HR going over the RF fence. No where
> near the bullpens, but I do remember getting a big kick out of starting
> a massive LGM chant along with my brother. There were no scoreboard
> prompts needed!

that is a good point and it annoys me that the scoreboard drives the fan
expereince now. Really, an Organ and an enthusiastic crowd needs no
help.

Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81

<uvhscv$3tdsu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3773&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3773

From: alreadydeleted9@hotmail.com (ernie*)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
81
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:29:18 -0400
 by: ernie* - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 00:29 UTC

On 4/14/2024 11:32 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:
> tmp6986 <dont@tryit.com> wrote:

>>> I remember it being extra innings and spending the end of the game
>>> talking to the pitchers in the ballpen from the bleechers.
>>>
>>> quite impressive to a 6 year old.
>>>

>> I can imagine. We were in the Mezzanine on the first base side for that
>> one. Had a good view of Grote's HR going over the RF fence. No where
>> near the bullpens, but I do remember getting a big kick out of starting
>> a massive LGM chant along with my brother. There were no scoreboard
>> prompts needed!
>>

> that is a good point and it annoys me that the scoreboard drives the fan
> expereince now. Really, an Organ and an enthusiastic crowd needs no
> help.

God bless Jane Jarvis.

Re: Jerry Grote, World Series-champion catcher with the Mets, dead at 81

<uvidht$ssn$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=3775&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#3775

From: rainbow@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
81
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 01:21:32 -0400
 by: Popping Mad - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 05:21 UTC

On 4/14/24 20:29, ernie* wrote:

> God bless Jane Jarvis.

Thomas Organs had the back page of the year book