From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Michael (phlash74) wins season record prediction contest
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 13:04:34 -0500
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 18:04 UTC

Sadly, the Iceberg approach wins (much) more often than not. And my
personal 20+ year losing streak continues!

Last season Michael and Eddie Grove were co-winners, although, like this
season, no one predicted the exact final record.

Here are this season's seven predictions, with Michael's (at the end of
the list) being the closest to the team's actual record. Injuries played
a big part in the Chargers' season, but so did Staley's failure to field
a winning defense.

--Robin

Rene G: 12-5 with 1 or 2 playoff wins.

Robin: 12-5 It really depends on the defense.

Jim Lehmann: 11-6 with one playoff win. Lose the AFC West on a tie breaker.

Staley and Telesco get another year reprieve....

Tweekgeek: 11-6

Icecube melted away... but because the DB's are so thinly spread, my gut
will be churning for the whole season... That being said, my prediction
is... 11-6

max headroom: 10-7

WEEK 1 · Sun 09/10 Miami Dolphins W 1-0
WEEK 2 · Sun 09/17 @Tennessee Titans W 2-0
WEEK 3 · Sun 09/24 @ Minnesota Vikings L 2-1
WEEK 4 · Sun 10/01 Las Vegas Raiders W 3-1
WEEK 5 BYE
WEEK 6 · Mon 10/16 Dallas Cowboys L 3-2
WEEK 7 · Sun 10/22 @Kansas City Chiefs L 3-3
WEEK 8 · Sun 10/29 Chicago Bears W 4-3
WEEK 9 · Mon 11/06 @New York Jets L 4-4
WEEK 10 · Sun 11/12 Detroit Lions W 5-4
WEEK 11 · Sun 11/19 @Green Bay Packers W 6-4
WEEK 12 · Sun 11/26 Baltimore Ravens L 6-5
WEEK 13 · Sun 12/03 @New England Patriots W 7-5
WEEK 14 · Sun 12/10 Denver Broncos W 8-5
WEEK 15 · Thu 12/14 @Las Vegas Raiders W 9-5
WEEK 16 · Sat 12/23 Buffalo Bills L 9-6
WEEK 17 · Sun 12/31 @Denver Broncos W 10-6
WEEK 18 · TBD Kansas City Chiefs L 10-7

Pure crap shoot. I was more impressed with last year's roster than this
year's.

Eddie Grove: 9-8

I'll probably change my mind, but my preliminary guess is 9-8. The
over-under is 9.5, public betting over, so I'll go under.

Later (responding to max headroom): I was going to up my prediction from
9-8 to 10-7, but it's more fun if we have different predictions, so I
guess I'll stay at 9-8 until the next time I waffle, or if you waffle first.

phlash74 (Michael): 7-10

The schedule is tougher, and this team showed this year they never make
adjustments when needed. Occasionally their talent wins out against bad
teams, but they finished the season with exactly one win against a team
that finished over .500 (Miami at 9-8). So I’ll go on record as saying
Staley will follow in the footsteps of Telesco’s other failed hires and
after two winning seasons and one playoff appearance, will have two
losing seasons before finally getting fired. Chargers go 7-10 next year
and obviously miss the playoffs.

p.s. On the one tenth of one percent chance that Dean is embarrassed
enough to clean house and hire a proven head coach with a decent
offensive game plan, they’ll go 11-6 and at least reach the AFC
Championship Game. The talent is there for the most part, the coaching
sucks.

Fine, I'll be a man of my word. Put me down for 7-10.

Re: Michael (phlash74) wins season record prediction contest

<kvtj4iFcduuU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4149&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4149

From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 13:06:02 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 18:06 UTC

Robin Miller wrote:

> [...]
> adjustments when needed. Occasionally their talent wins out against bad
> teams, but they finished the season with exactly one win against a team
> that finished over .500 (Miami at 9-8). So I’ll go on record as saying
> Staley will follow in the footsteps of Telesco’s other failed hires and
> after two winning seasons and one playoff appearance, will have two
> losing seasons before finally getting fired. Chargers go 7-10 next year
> and obviously miss the playoffs.
>
> p.s. On the one tenth of one percent chance that Dean is embarrassed
> enough to clean house and hire a proven head coach with a decent
> offensive game plan, they’ll go 11-6 and at least reach the AFC
> Championship Game. The talent is there for the most part, the coaching
> sucks.
>
> Fine, I'll be a man of my word. Put me down for 7-10.

Hope everyone is back next season!

--Robin

Re: Michael (phlash74) wins season record prediction contest

<c70bed27-558a-40d7-a752-b35ece53f26cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4151&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4151

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 17:25:54 -0800 (PST)
From: phlash74@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 01:25 UTC

On Saturday, January 6, 2024 at 10:06:12 AM UTC-8, Robin Miller wrote:
> [...]
> > adjustments when needed. Occasionally their talent wins out against bad
> > teams, but they finished the season with exactly one win against a team
> > that finished over .500 (Miami at 9-8). So I’ll go on record as saying
> > Staley will follow in the footsteps of Telesco’s other failed hires and
> > after two winning seasons and one playoff appearance, will have two
> > losing seasons before finally getting fired. Chargers go 7-10 next year
> > and obviously miss the playoffs.
> >
> > p.s. On the one tenth of one percent chance that Dean is embarrassed
> > enough to clean house and hire a proven head coach with a decent
> > offensive game plan, they’ll go 11-6 and at least reach the AFC
> > Championship Game. The talent is there for the most part, the coaching
> > sucks.
> >
> > Fine, I'll be a man of my word. Put me down for 7-10.

Little did I know I was being optimistic in predicting 7 wins.

Just in case, I'll register my prediction for next year early again. It's kind of cheating because I have 2 predictions (similar to last year's early pick), but I hope you'll allow me the leeway here.

If the Chargers hire Jim Harbaugh as head coach, they will go 12-5 and reach the AFC Championship Game. If they hire anyone else (Bill Belichick included), they will go 8-9 and miss the playoffs. Lock it in.

Michael

p.s. Matt Prater of Arizona missed two late field goals against Seattle, either of which would have won the game for the Cardinals and given the Chargers the 4th pick instead of the 5th pick in next years draft.

Re: Michael (phlash74) wins season record prediction contest

<l012saFuleU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4152&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4152

From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 20:53:10 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 01:53 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Fine, I'll be a man of my word. Put me down for 7-10.
>> Hope everyone is back next season!
>>
>> --Robin
>
> Little did I know I was being optimistic in predicting 7 wins.
>
> Just in case, I'll register my prediction for next year early again. It's kind of cheating because I have 2 predictions (similar to last year's early pick), but I hope you'll allow me the leeway here.
>
> If the Chargers hire Jim Harbaugh as head coach, they will go 12-5 and reach the AFC Championship Game. If they hire anyone else (Bill Belichick included), they will go 8-9 and miss the playoffs. Lock it in.
>
> Michael
>
> p.s. Matt Prater of Arizona missed two late field goals against Seattle, either of which would have won the game for the Cardinals and given the Chargers the 4th pick instead of the 5th pick in next years draft.

I'll save your prediction, but you have about eight months to change it.

It's great that, finally, the Chargers seem to have a placekicker they
can rely on. I feel bad for Prater, though.

It's a shame that Dicker's miss a couple of weeks ago was blocked. He
only missed two FGAs the whole season.

--Robin

--Robin