From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Chargers' free agents
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 14:40:02 -0500
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18
 by: Robin Miller - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 19:40 UTC

https://www.chargers.com/news/chargers-2024-free-agents-salary-cap
[lists 27]

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/los-angeles-chargers/ [lists 25]

The difference between the two lists is that the Chargers.com list has
four players not included in the Spotrac list (Will Grier, Justin
Hollins, Dean Marlowe and Blake Lynch), while the Spotrac list has two
players not included on the Chargers.com list (WR Darius Shepherd and S
AJ Finley). Of these six players, five were on the Chargers'
season-ending roster. They released Shepherd with an injury settlement
earlier in the season. So I'll go with 28 apparent free agents, adding
Finley to the 27 on the chargers.com list:

Unrestricted Free Agents (UFA) (20)

UFA: Any player with four or more accrued seasons and an expired
contract; free to negotiate and sign with any team.

Essang Bassey

Will Clapp

Michael Davis

Austin Ekeler

Alex Erickson

Gerald Everett

Alohi Gilman

Will Grier

Jalen Guyton

Jaylinn Hawkins

Justin Hollins

Austin Johnson

Joshua Kelley

Dean Marlowe

Kenneth Murray, Jr.

Tanner Muse

Easton Stick

Cameron Tom

Nick Vannett

Nick Williams

Restricted Free Agents (RFA) (3)

RFA: A player with three accrued seasons and an expired contract. RFAs
are free to negotiate and sign with any team, but their original team
can offer them one of various qualifying offers ("tenders") that come
with the right of first refusal and/or draft-pick compensation.

AJ Finley

Blake Lynch

Amen Ogbongbemiga

Exclusive Rights Free Agents (ERFA) (5)

ERFA: Any player with fewer than three accrued seasons and an expired
contract. If his original team offers him a one-year contract at the
league minimum (based on his credited seasons), the player cannot
negotiate with other teams.

Zack Bailey

Cameron Dicker

Keelan Doss [Spotrac has him as UFA, but I think ERFA is correct]

Raheem Layne

Foster Sarell

just Gilman and Dicker? A bunch are maybe re-sign (Austin Johnson?
Guyton? Bassey? a number of the younger players), as otherwise the
chargers would be left with only half a team under contract.

A number of question marks regarding the veterans. Gerald Everett was
decent. Is it time to give up on Michael Davis and Kenneth Murray? I
assume Ekeler is gone.

--Robin

Re: Chargers' free agents

<27ca885d-224b-42be-bb5d-bb0c29e27c1dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4186&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4186

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 12:57:35 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Chargers' free agents
From: phlash74@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 20:57 UTC

On Thursday, January 18, 2024 at 11:40:12 AM UTC-8, Robin Miller wrote:
> https://www.chargers.com/news/chargers-2024-free-agents-salary-cap
> [lists 27]
>
> https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/los-angeles-chargers/ [lists 25]
>
> The difference between the two lists is that the Chargers.com list has
> four players not included in the Spotrac list (Will Grier, Justin
> Hollins, Dean Marlowe and Blake Lynch), while the Spotrac list has two
> players not included on the Chargers.com list (WR Darius Shepherd and S
> AJ Finley). Of these six players, five were on the Chargers'
> season-ending roster. They released Shepherd with an injury settlement
> earlier in the season. So I'll go with 28 apparent free agents, adding
> Finley to the 27 on the chargers.com list:
>

> Unrestricted Free Agents (UFA) (20)
>
> UFA: Any player with four or more accrued seasons and an expired
> contract; free to negotiate and sign with any team.
>

> Essang Bassey
>
> Will Clapp
>
> Michael Davis
>
> Austin Ekeler
>
> Alex Erickson
>
> Gerald Everett
>
> Alohi Gilman
>
> Will Grier
>
> Jalen Guyton
>
> Jaylinn Hawkins
>
> Justin Hollins
>
> Austin Johnson
>
> Joshua Kelley
>
> Dean Marlowe
>
> Kenneth Murray, Jr.
>
> Tanner Muse
>
> Easton Stick
>
> Cameron Tom
>
> Nick Vannett
>
> Nick Williams
>

> Restricted Free Agents (RFA) (3)
>
> RFA: A player with three accrued seasons and an expired contract. RFAs
> are free to negotiate and sign with any team, but their original team
> can offer them one of various qualifying offers ("tenders") that come
> with the right of first refusal and/or draft-pick compensation.
>
> AJ Finley
>
> Blake Lynch
>
> Amen Ogbongbemiga
>

> Exclusive Rights Free Agents (ERFA) (5)
>
> ERFA: Any player with fewer than three accrued seasons and an expired
> contract. If his original team offers him a one-year contract at the
> league minimum (based on his credited seasons), the player cannot
> negotiate with other teams.
>
> Zack Bailey
>
> Cameron Dicker
>
> Keelan Doss [Spotrac has him as UFA, but I think ERFA is correct]
>
> Raheem Layne
>
> Foster Sarell

> just Gilman and Dicker? A bunch are maybe re-sign (Austin Johnson?
> Guyton? Bassey? a number of the younger players), as otherwise the
> chargers would be left with only half a team under contract.
>
> A number of question marks regarding the veterans. Gerald Everett was
> decent. Is it time to give up on Michael Davis and Kenneth Murray? I
> assume Ekeler is gone.
>
> --Robin

Of the veteran UFAs, I'd only prioritize keeping Everett, Gilman, and Guyton. A few others I could be persuaded on. Obviously they'll keep Dicker, the rest of the free agents are almost certainly gone imo. There's going to be a lot of turnover, I expect Bosa to be dealt if possible as well. Williams also might end up a cap casualty. Hope they can restructure Keenan and Khalil Mack to get some cap room. I'm kinda leaning towards the idea of trading back a few spots if they can still get the TE Brock Bowers out of Georgia..

Michael

Re: Chargers' free agents

<l0tlgnFm1ilU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4189&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4189

From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 17:02:56 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 22:02 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> [...]
>> Guyton? Bassey? a number of the younger players), as otherwise the
>> chargers would be left with only half a team under contract.
>>
>> A number of question marks regarding the veterans. Gerald Everett was
>> decent. Is it time to give up on Michael Davis and Kenneth Murray? I
>> assume Ekeler is gone.
>>
>> --Robin
>
> Of the veteran UFAs, I'd only prioritize keeping Everett, Gilman, and Guyton. A few others I could be persuaded on. Obviously they'll keep Dicker, the rest of the free agents are almost certainly gone imo. There's going to be a lot of turnover, I expect Bosa to be dealt if possible as well. Williams also might end up a cap casualty. Hope they can restructure Keenan and Khalil Mack to get some cap room. I'm kinda leaning towards the idea of trading back a few spots if they can still get the TE Brock Bowers out of Georgia.

I also hope that they can keep Allen and Mack. I imagine they will try
to trade Bosa and Williams. I'm fine with that, even if the return is
only a 4th or 5th round draft pick, just to get out from under those
salary obligations.

I think trading back in the first is a good idea, given how many needs
the Chargers have.

--Robin