From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: NFL World Shocked as Legendary TE Antonio Gates Will Not Be a
First-Ballot Hall of Famer
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 14:19:01 -0500
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 19:19 UTC

This really is unbelievable:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-world-shocked-antonio-gates-not-first-ballot-hall-of-famer-trends/

By
Lorenzo Reyna
February 8, 2024

Re: NFL World Shocked as Legendary TE Antonio Gates Will Not Be a First-Ballot Hall of Famer

<92d1184b-fbc7-4ebf-bb8f-feaa799ce8f4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4302&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4302

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 12:56:52 -0800 (PST)
First-Ballot Hall of Famer
From: phlash74@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 20:56 UTC

On Friday, February 9, 2024 at 11:19:10 AM UTC-8, Robin Miller wrote:
> This really is unbelievable:
>
> https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-world-shocked-antonio-gates-not-first-ballot-hall-of-famer-trends/
>
> By
> Lorenzo Reyna
> February 8, 2024

I've never understood the idea of artificially limiting the number of Hall of Famers elected in a given year. Just a yes/no with a 75% or 80% threshold should ensure that it remains an exclusive club yet no slam dunk HOFers have to wait because a few other guys get elected the same year.

To be clear, I don't have any issue with any of the players who were elected. But it's absolutely insane that Gates didn't get the votes. Every article I saw prior to yesterday said Gates and Peppers were the locks, and the other ones were borderline depending on which WR pulled more votes, etc. I think he's at worst the third best TE in history behind Gonzalez and Gronkowski (Kelce may pass him by the time he's done).

I'm sure he'll get in next year, but it's definitely a slap in the face. Shawne Merriman was raving mad about it on Twitter: https://twitter.com/shawnemerriman/status/1755764336575017447

Shawne Merriman
@shawnemerriman
Antonio Gates not being a first ballot is an absolute embarrassment, they should be ashamed.
5:23 PM · Feb 8, 2024

Michael

Re: NFL World Shocked as Legendary TE Antonio Gates Will Not Be a First-Ballot Hall of Famer

<l2oehbFfscaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4303&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4303

From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
First-Ballot Hall of Famer
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 00:05:40 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 05:05 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> On Friday, February 9, 2024 at 11:19:10 AM UTC-8, Robin Miller wrote:
>> This really is unbelievable:
>>
>> https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-world-shocked-antonio-gates-not-first-ballot-hall-of-famer-trends/
>>
>> By
>> Lorenzo Reyna
>> February 8, 2024
>
> I've never understood the idea of artificially limiting the number of Hall of Famers elected in a given year. Just a yes/no with a 75% or 80% threshold should ensure that it remains an exclusive club yet no slam dunk HOFers have to wait because a few other guys get elected the same year.
>
> To be clear, I don't have any issue with any of the players who were elected. But it's absolutely insane that Gates didn't get the votes. Every article I saw prior to yesterday said Gates and Peppers were the locks, and the other ones were borderline depending on which WR pulled more votes, etc. I think he's at worst the third best TE in history behind Gonzalez and Gronkowski (Kelce may pass him by the time he's done).
>
> I'm sure he'll get in next year, but it's definitely a slap in the face. Shawne Merriman was raving mad about it on Twitter: https://twitter.com/shawnemerriman/status/1755764336575017447
>
> Shawne Merriman
> @shawnemerriman
> Antonio Gates not being a first ballot is an absolute embarrassment, they should be ashamed.
> 5:23 PM · Feb 8, 2024
>
> Michael

Is it limited? This says that between 4 and 9 should be elected each year:

https://www.profootballhof.com/hall-of-famers/selection-process/

--Robin

Re: NFL World Shocked as Legendary TE Antonio Gates Will Not Be a First-Ballot Hall of Famer

<e550ef9b-e289-48c3-b2fe-1f328e383cdan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4309&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4309

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 07:01:55 -0800 (PST)
First-Ballot Hall of Famer
From: phlash74@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:01 UTC

On Friday, February 9, 2024 at 9:05:50 PM UTC-8, Robin Miller wrote:
> phlash74 wrote:
> > On Friday, February 9, 2024 at 11:19:10 AM UTC-8, Robin Miller wrote:
> >> This really is unbelievable:
> >>
> >> https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-world-shocked-antonio-gates-not-first-ballot-hall-of-famer-trends/
> >>
> >> By
> >> Lorenzo Reyna
> >> February 8, 2024
> >
> > I've never understood the idea of artificially limiting the number of Hall of Famers elected in a given year. Just a yes/no with a 75% or 80% threshold should ensure that it remains an exclusive club yet no slam dunk HOFers have to wait because a few other guys get elected the same year.
> >
> > To be clear, I don't have any issue with any of the players who were elected. But it's absolutely insane that Gates didn't get the votes. Every article I saw prior to yesterday said Gates and Peppers were the locks, and the other ones were borderline depending on which WR pulled more votes, etc. I think he's at worst the third best TE in history behind Gonzalez and Gronkowski (Kelce may pass him by the time he's done).
> >
> > I'm sure he'll get in next year, but it's definitely a slap in the face.. Shawne Merriman was raving mad about it on Twitter: https://twitter.com/shawnemerriman/status/1755764336575017447
> >
> > Shawne Merriman
> > @shawnemerriman
> > Antonio Gates not being a first ballot is an absolute embarrassment, they should be ashamed.
> > 5:23 PM · Feb 8, 2024
> >
> > Michael
> >
> Is it limited? This says that between 4 and 9 should be elected each year:
>
> https://www.profootballhof.com/hall-of-famers/selection-process/
>

> --Robin

There's a FAQ on the same page that talks about how the modern nominees are limited to 5: https://www.profootballhof.com/hall-of-famers/selection-process-faq/

"In advance of the Hall of Fame selection meeting, the Selectors are provided detailed biographies on each of the 19 Finalists. At the annual meeting, each Finalist is thoroughly discussed by the committee before a series of reduction votes are taken. First, the Coach/Contributor and Seniors Finalists are discussed and voted on for election. They must receive the same 80% affirmative vote as the Modern-Era Player Finalists. Next, there is a vote that reduces the Modern-Era Player Finalists list from 15 to 10. ***Following that, a vote is taken to reduce the list from 10 to 5 names.*** The five remaining Modern-Era Player Finalists for Hall of Fame election are voted on individually (yes or no) for membership."

*** emphasis mine

So Gates almost certainly made the first cut from 15 to 10, but didn't survive the second cut from 10 to 5, where Hester, Peppers, Freeney, Johnson, and Willis all made it, and they all obviously reached the threshold in the last vote.

I'd assume he gets in next year, but in addition to his fellow finalists Torry Holt, Reggie Wayne, and Jared Allen, there are first timers on the ballot next year such as Eli Manning, Luke Kuechly, and Terrell Suggs. It's going to be crowded getting down to that last group of 5.

Michael

Re: NFL World Shocked as Legendary TE Antonio Gates Will Not Be a First-Ballot Hall of Famer

<l2uusdFmvtkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4310&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4310

From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
First-Ballot Hall of Famer
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 11:21:31 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 16:21 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> On Friday, February 9, 2024 at 9:05:50 PM UTC-8, Robin Miller wrote:
>> phlash74 wrote:

>>> I've never understood the idea of artificially limiting the number of Hall of Famers elected in a given year. Just a yes/no with a 75% or 80% threshold should ensure that it remains an exclusive club yet no slam dunk HOFers have to wait because a few other guys get elected the same year.
>>>
>>> To be clear, I don't have any issue with any of the players who were elected. But it's absolutely insane that Gates didn't get the votes. Every article I saw prior to yesterday said Gates and Peppers were the locks, and the other ones were borderline depending on which WR pulled more votes, etc. I think he's at worst the third best TE in history behind Gonzalez and Gronkowski (Kelce may pass him by the time he's done).
>>>
>>> I'm sure he'll get in next year, but it's definitely a slap in the face. Shawne Merriman was raving mad about it on Twitter: https://twitter.com/shawnemerriman/status/1755764336575017447
>>>
>>> Shawne Merriman
>>> @shawnemerriman
>>> Antonio Gates not being a first ballot is an absolute embarrassment, they should be ashamed.
>>> 5:23 PM · Feb 8, 2024
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>
>> Is it limited? This says that between 4 and 9 should be elected each year:
>>
>> https://www.profootballhof.com/hall-of-famers/selection-process/
>>

>> --Robin
>
> There's a FAQ on the same page that talks about how the modern nominees are limited to 5: https://www.profootballhof.com/hall-of-famers/selection-process-faq/
>
> "In advance of the Hall of Fame selection meeting, the Selectors are provided detailed biographies on each of the 19 Finalists. At the annual meeting, each Finalist is thoroughly discussed by the committee before a series of reduction votes are taken. First, the Coach/Contributor and Seniors Finalists are discussed and voted on for election. They must receive the same 80% affirmative vote as the Modern-Era Player Finalists. Next, there is a vote that reduces the Modern-Era Player Finalists list from 15 to 10. ***Following that, a vote is taken to reduce the list from 10 to 5 names.*** The five remaining Modern-Era Player Finalists for Hall of Fame election are voted on individually (yes or no) for membership."
>
> *** emphasis mine
>
> So Gates almost certainly made the first cut from 15 to 10, but didn't survive the second cut from 10 to 5, where Hester, Peppers, Freeney, Johnson, and Willis all made it, and they all obviously reached the threshold in the last vote.
>
> I'd assume he gets in next year, but in addition to his fellow finalists Torry Holt, Reggie Wayne, and Jared Allen, there are first timers on the ballot next year such as Eli Manning, Luke Kuechly, and Terrell Suggs. It's going to be crowded getting down to that last group of 5.
>
> Michael

Thanks, Michael. I knew about the 15 --> 10 --> 5 process, but assumed
that Gates made it to the round of 5 but somehow didn't get the 80%
required for admission. To realize that he didn't even make it to the
round of 5 is even more shocking. Everyone (sports writers included)
assumed that he was a lock.

--Robin