Sailing is fun, but scrubbing the decks is aardvark. -- Heard on Noahs' ark

sport / alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants / The Giants have replaced Gabe Kapler with Bob Melvin

SubjectAuthor
* The Giants have replaced Gabe Kapler with Bob MelvinJohnW
`* The Giants have replaced Gabe Kapler with Bob Melvinpoldy
 +- The Giants have replaced Gabe Kapler with Bob MelvinJohnW
 `- The Giants have replaced Gabe Kapler with Bob MelvinJohnW

1
The Giants have replaced Gabe Kapler with Bob Melvin

<15a61271-0e1b-4fdf-9e54-1ba9262d94afn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=431&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#431

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 12:53:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The Giants have replaced Gabe Kapler with Bob Melvin
From: jwalsh589@gmail.com (JohnW)
 by: JohnW - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 19:53 UTC

I don't think many of the Giants' fans will be impressed
with this signing. He just another Kapler, only he did
poorly with a loaded team.

Look over last year's roster and ask yourself how the
Padres "managed" to so poorly.

Re: The Giants have replaced Gabe Kapler with Bob Melvin

<uheddb$1pkug$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=433&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#433

From: poldy@kfu.com (poldy)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 12:07:23 -0700
 by: poldy - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:07 UTC

On 10/24/23 12:53 PM, JohnW wrote:
> I don't think many of the Giants' fans will be impressed
> with this signing. He just another Kapler, only he did
> poorly with a loaded team.
>
> Look over last year's roster and ask yourself how the
> Padres "managed" to so poorly.

He's been a manager for 20 seasons, has a .500 record.

His postseason record isn't good. But he was 6-6 with the Padres last
season when they eliminated the Dodgers.

Supposedly they think he could help the Giants sign Yamamoto and Lee
because he's coached some Japanese and Korean players before.

BTW, Bochy supposedly retired 3 seasons ago but decided to take the job
with the Rangers and he's 68 now.

My guess is it wasn't a real retirement. Giants either forced him out
or he didn't like the front office so he bailed.

Then he goes to a team that has spent like crazy in free agency the last
two seasons.

But look where it got them, they lost over 100 games in 2021 and now
they're in the WS. So did Arizona, lose over 100 games in 2021 and
they're also in the WS, but they developed some good players in their
farm system, including probably the rookie of the year, Corbin Carroll,
which was picked after the Giants pick in 2019.

But Giants farm system has been shit for about 10 years, especially when
it comes to hitters.

--
Serenity Now!

Re: The Giants have replaced Gabe Kapler with Bob Melvin

<50295947-2bbf-4ea0-ac44-106ba53598b7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=435&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#435

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 22:24:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: jwalsh589@gmail.com (JohnW)
 by: JohnW - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 05:24 UTC

On Thursday, October 26, 2023 at 9:07:25 AM UTC-10, poldy wrote:
> On 10/24/23 12:53 PM, JohnW wrote:
> > I don't think many of the Giants' fans will be impressed
> > with this signing. He just another Kapler, only he did
> > poorly with a loaded team.
> >
> > Look over last year's roster and ask yourself how the
> > Padres "managed" to so poorly.
> He's been a manager for 20 seasons, has a .500 record.
>
> His postseason record isn't good. But he was 6-6 with the Padres last
> season when they eliminated the Dodgers.
>
> Supposedly they think he could help the Giants sign Yamamoto and Lee
> because he's coached some Japanese and Korean players before.
>

> BTW, Bochy supposedly retired 3 seasons ago but decided to take the job
> with the Rangers and he's 68 now.
>
> My guess is it wasn't a real retirement. Giants either forced him out
> or he didn't like the front office so he bailed.
>
> Then he goes to a team that has spent like crazy in free agency the last
> two seasons.
>
> But look where it got them, they lost over 100 games in 2021 and now
> they're in the WS. So did Arizona, lose over 100 games in 2021 and
> they're also in the WS, but they developed some good players in their
> farm system, including probably the rookie of the year, Corbin Carroll,
> which was picked after the Giants pick in 2019.
>
> But Giants farm system has been shit for about 10 years, especially when
> it comes to hitters.
>

> --
> Serenity Now!
You're probably right about Bochy. He had enough of Zaidi's metrics and
decided to leave. Add the dubious signings and Bochy needed no further
motivation.
Game 1 goes to the Rangers.

Re: The Giants have replaced Gabe Kapler with Bob Melvin

<7b4ba32e-0a23-4ff6-9e32-bb6cf0469a0en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=436&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#436

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 22:29:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: jwalsh589@gmail.com (JohnW)
 by: JohnW - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 05:29 UTC

On Thursday, October 26, 2023 at 9:07:25 AM UTC-10, poldy wrote:
> On 10/24/23 12:53 PM, JohnW wrote:
> > I don't think many of the Giants' fans will be impressed
> > with this signing. He just another Kapler, only he did
> > poorly with a loaded team.
> >
> > Look over last year's roster and ask yourself how the
> > Padres "managed" to so poorly.
> He's been a manager for 20 seasons, has a .500 record.
>
> His postseason record isn't good. But he was 6-6 with the Padres last
> season when they eliminated the Dodgers.
>
> Supposedly they think he could help the Giants sign Yamamoto and Lee
> because he's coached some Japanese and Korean players before.
>

> BTW, Bochy supposedly retired 3 seasons ago but decided to take the job
> with the Rangers and he's 68 now.
>
> My guess is it wasn't a real retirement. Giants either forced him out
> or he didn't like the front office so he bailed.
>
> Then he goes to a team that has spent like crazy in free agency the last
> two seasons.
>
> But look where it got them, they lost over 100 games in 2021 and now
> they're in the WS. So did Arizona, lose over 100 games in 2021 and
> they're also in the WS, but they developed some good players in their
> farm system, including probably the rookie of the year, Corbin Carroll,
> which was picked after the Giants pick in 2019.
>
> But Giants farm system has been shit for about 10 years, especially when
> it comes to hitters.
>

> --
> Serenity Now!
We'll have to wait and see. Will he actually sign the players and will he
let Melvin actually run the team? You got that right about the farm system.