From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: 2024 salary cap increases to $255.4 million
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 20:43:00 -0500
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 01:43 UTC

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

The NFL announced today that the 2024 Salary Cap will be $255.4 million
per club, with an additional $74 million per club payment for player
benefits, which includes Performance Based Pay and benefits for retired
players.

12:47 PM · Feb 23, 2024

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1761085351752261754

This puts the Chargers at $22M over the cap, rather than $35.5M, as it
would have been under what was predicted to be the 2024 cap number:

https://twitter.com/tylerjschoon/status/1761090337479766436

The $22M increases to $31.7M per Popper once draft picks are included:

https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1761190647363694937

Suddenly the Chargers don't have to get rid of a bunch of players.

--Robin

Re: 2024 salary cap increases to $255.4 million

<87zfvq5mwi.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4332&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4332

From: eddiegrove@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Re: 2024 salary cap increases to $255.4 million
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 21:42:05 -1000
 by: Eddie Grove - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 07:42 UTC

Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> writes:

> Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
>
> The NFL announced today that the 2024 Salary Cap will be $255.4
> million per club, with an additional $74 million per club payment for
> player benefits, which includes Performance Based Pay and benefits for
> retired players.
>
> 12:47 PM · Feb 23, 2024
>

> https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1761085351752261754
>

> This puts the Chargers at $22M over the cap, rather than $35.5M, as it
> would have been under what was predicted to be the 2024 cap number:
>
> https://twitter.com/tylerjschoon/status/1761090337479766436

That just goes to show you you shouldn't believe those predictions.
Florio reported on them, and said the sources he trusts said $243M was
way too low.

> The $22M increases to $31.7M per Popper once draft picks are included:
>
> https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1761190647363694937
>

> Suddenly the Chargers don't have to get rid of a bunch of players.
>
> --Robin

Whereas most fans rejoice at the news, I think it is a shame.
After a long period of overspending, now is the time to cut a lot and
reshape the team.

The biggest mistake most teams make is overpaying for good but not great
players. Anything that makes that easier is a hindrance to the poorly
run teams. I count the Chargers in that group until proven otherwise.
If people are stunned at the upcoming cuts the Chargers make, I will
(only) then change my mind.

Re: 2024 salary cap increases to $255.4 million

<l41kf8FqlrdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4333&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4333

From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 14:58:30 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 19:58 UTC

Eddie Grove wrote:
> Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> writes:
>
>> Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
>>
>> The NFL announced today that the 2024 Salary Cap will be $255.4
>> million per club, with an additional $74 million per club payment for
>> player benefits, which includes Performance Based Pay and benefits for
>> retired players.
>>
>> 12:47 PM · Feb 23, 2024
>>

>> https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1761085351752261754
>>

>> This puts the Chargers at $22M over the cap, rather than $35.5M, as it
>> would have been under what was predicted to be the 2024 cap number:
>>
>> https://twitter.com/tylerjschoon/status/1761090337479766436
>
> That just goes to show you you shouldn't believe those predictions.
> Florio reported on them, and said the sources he trusts said $243M was
> way too low.
>
>> The $22M increases to $31.7M per Popper once draft picks are included:
>>
>> https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1761190647363694937
>>

>> Suddenly the Chargers don't have to get rid of a bunch of players.
>>
>> --Robin
>
> Whereas most fans rejoice at the news, I think it is a shame.
> After a long period of overspending, now is the time to cut a lot and
> reshape the team.
>
> The biggest mistake most teams make is overpaying for good but not great
> players. Anything that makes that easier is a hindrance to the poorly
> run teams. I count the Chargers in that group until proven otherwise.
> If people are stunned at the upcoming cuts the Chargers make, I will
> (only) then change my mind.

Well, no matter what the cap number is, teams have to manage it, so the
problem you identify will always exist, just at higher numbers for the
"merely good" players. And it's not as though the teams are operating
unilaterally in signing players--the market sets parameters, and fan
pressure may make the difference in a close case.

I'm glad that this may reduce the number of players league-wide who may
now not be dropped simply due to financial constraints. Most fans want
to see their teams keep their best players, and this will allow more
teams to do so.

I don't think the Chargers' personnel decisions are going to "stun"
anyone, since everyone knows of the four players with huge 2024
commitments, and the possibility that any of them could be moved off the
team. But the cap increase certainly reduces the pressure to
release/trade two or three of them. In particular, while fans seem
disposed to let go of Bosa, Minter spoke highly of the edge group in his
intro conference, and he may push to retain him.

--Robin

Re: 2024 salary cap increases to $255.4 million

<urifgv$2kth2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4336&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4336

From: phlash74@gmail.com (phlash74)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 08:50:39 -0800
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 16:50 UTC

On 2/23/24 11:42 PM, Eddie Grove wrote:
> Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> writes:
>
>> Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
>>
>> The NFL announced today that the 2024 Salary Cap will be $255.4
>> million per club, with an additional $74 million per club payment for
>> player benefits, which includes Performance Based Pay and benefits for
>> retired players.
>>
>> 12:47 PM · Feb 23, 2024
>>

>> https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1761085351752261754
>>

>> This puts the Chargers at $22M over the cap, rather than $35.5M, as it
>> would have been under what was predicted to be the 2024 cap number:
>>
>> https://twitter.com/tylerjschoon/status/1761090337479766436
>
> That just goes to show you you shouldn't believe those predictions.
> Florio reported on them, and said the sources he trusts said $243M was
> way too low.
>
>> The $22M increases to $31.7M per Popper once draft picks are included:
>>
>> https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1761190647363694937
>>

>> Suddenly the Chargers don't have to get rid of a bunch of players.
>>
>> --Robin
>
> Whereas most fans rejoice at the news, I think it is a shame.
> After a long period of overspending, now is the time to cut a lot and
> reshape the team.
>
> The biggest mistake most teams make is overpaying for good but not great
> players. Anything that makes that easier is a hindrance to the poorly
> run teams. I count the Chargers in that group until proven otherwise.
> If people are stunned at the upcoming cuts the Chargers make, I will
> (only) then change my mind.

They're still well over the cap, and the same four players (Allen, Bosa,
Mack, and Williams) are likely going to have to be released,
restructured, or traded in order to make things work - at a minimum, if
they want to sign any players from outside, at least three of the four
will be impacted in some way.

If Telesco was still the GM, I'd have the same worry about them kicking
the can down the road but with the new coaching staff and front office,
I think they're not going to hesitate to make tough decisions that are
in the long term interest of the team.

Michael

Re: 2024 salary cap increases to $255.4 million

<87frxexx6j.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4337&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4337

From: eddiegrove@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 20:01:40 -1000
 by: Eddie Grove - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 06:01 UTC

phlash74 <phlash74@gmail.com> writes:

> If Telesco was still the GM, I'd have the same worry about them
> kicking the can down the road but with the new coaching staff and
> front office, I think they're not going to hesitate to make tough
> decisions that are in the long term interest of the team.
>
> Michael

One can only hope.

It's kind of funny you telling me to be more optimistic. :)

Eddie

Re: 2024 salary cap increases to $255.4 million

<url60e$3aor4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4338&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4338

From: phlash74@gmail.com (phlash74)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 09:26:34 -0800
 by: phlash74 - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:26 UTC

On 2/26/24 10:01 PM, Eddie Grove wrote:
> phlash74 <phlash74@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> If Telesco was still the GM, I'd have the same worry about them
>> kicking the can down the road but with the new coaching staff and
>> front office, I think they're not going to hesitate to make tough
>> decisions that are in the long term interest of the team.
>>
>> Michael
>
> One can only hope.
>
> It's kind of funny you telling me to be more optimistic. :)
>
> Eddie

Holy hell, have I become the Iceberg of the group by default? :P

In my defense, I am already on record at 12-5 and an AFC Championship
appearance for next season.

Michael