From: phlash74@gmail.com (phlash74)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: ESPN.com: Chargers agree to two year deal with Baltimore RB Gus
Edwards
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:54:18 -0700
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 20:54 UTC

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39709972/rb-gus-edwards-get-2-year-deal-chargers

Source: RB Gus Edwards to get 2-year deal with Chargers
play
ESPN
Mar 11, 2024, 04:30 PM ET

Baltimore Ravens free agent running back Gus Edwards has agreed to a
two-year contract with the Los Angeles Chargers, a source told ESPN's
Adam Schefter on Monday.

Edwards now will be reunited with former Ravens and current Chargers
offensive coordinator Greg Roman. And he now goes from being coached by
John Harbaugh to his brother Jim.

His addition to the Chargers comes as running back Austin Ekeler is a
pending unrestricted free agent.

Edwards has been a major reason why the Ravens produced the most rushing
yards (17,484) in the NFL since 2018. Despite sharing the backfield with
Mark Ingram and J.K. Dobbins, he has run for 3,395 yards, the most by a
Baltimore running back over the last six seasons.

In 2023, after Dobbins suffered a season-ending Achilles injury in Week
1, Edwards took over as Baltimore's primary back and repeatedly found
the end zone, although he lacked his usual explosiveness. His 13
touchdown runs were tied for the third-most by an NFL rushing back last
season, and he fell one shy of tying the Ravens' single-season franchise
record. But he averaged 4.1 yards per carry, the first time in his
career that he was held under five yards per attempt.

Edwards, 28, and Nick Chubb are the only two players in NFL history to
start their career with three straight seasons of 700-plus rushing yards
and at least 5.0 yards per carry. That streak ended just four days
before the 2021 regular-season opener, when he tore an ACL in practice.
He has since returned to play the next two seasons, becoming the team's
most consistent runner between the tackles.

After going undrafted out of Rutgers in 2018, Edwards cracked the
starting lineup as a rookie once Lamar Jackson took over as the starting
quarterback midway through that season and Baltimore switched to a
run-pass option offense. He owns the most rushing yards and rushing
touchdowns (26) by an undrafted player in Ravens history.

ESPN's Jamison Hensley contributed to this report.

Re: ESPN.com: Chargers agree to two year deal with Baltimore RB Gus Edwards

<l59at3F9slU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4365&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4365

From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Edwards
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:20:32 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:20 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39709972/rb-gus-edwards-get-2-year-deal-chargers
>

> Source: RB Gus Edwards to get 2-year deal with Chargers
> play
> ESPN
> Mar 11, 2024, 04:30 PM ET
>
> Baltimore Ravens free agent running back Gus Edwards has agreed to a
> two-year contract with the Los Angeles Chargers, a source told ESPN's
> Adam Schefter on Monday.
>
> Edwards now will be reunited with former Ravens and current Chargers
> offensive coordinator Greg Roman. And he now goes from being coached by
> John Harbaugh to his brother Jim.
>
> His addition to the Chargers comes as running back Austin Ekeler is a
> pending unrestricted free agent.
>
> Edwards has been a major reason why the Ravens produced the most rushing
> yards (17,484) in the NFL since 2018. Despite sharing the backfield with
> Mark Ingram and J.K. Dobbins, he has run for 3,395 yards, the most by a
> Baltimore running back over the last six seasons.
>
> In 2023, after Dobbins suffered a season-ending Achilles injury in Week
> 1, Edwards took over as Baltimore's primary back and repeatedly found
> the end zone, although he lacked his usual explosiveness. His 13
> touchdown runs were tied for the third-most by an NFL rushing back last
> season, and he fell one shy of tying the Ravens' single-season franchise
> record. But he averaged 4.1 yards per carry, the first time in his
> career that he was held under five yards per attempt.
>
> Edwards, 28, and Nick Chubb are the only two players in NFL history to
> start their career with three straight seasons of 700-plus rushing yards
> and at least 5.0 yards per carry. That streak ended just four days
> before the 2021 regular-season opener, when he tore an ACL in practice.
> He has since returned to play the next two seasons, becoming the team's
> most consistent runner between the tackles.
>
> After going undrafted out of Rutgers in 2018, Edwards cracked the
> starting lineup as a rookie once Lamar Jackson took over as the starting
> quarterback midway through that season and Baltimore switched to a
> run-pass option offense. He owns the most rushing yards and rushing
> touchdowns (26) by an undrafted player in Ravens history.
>
> ESPN's Jamison Hensley contributed to this report.

Seems like a pretty good add, although he's not a receiver, with a total
of 30 career receptions. He seems pretty durable, missing only 2021 and
half of 2022. I don't know if the 2022 absence was from the ACL injury
mentioned above.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdwaGu00.htm

So the Chargers now have to clear $20M plus what they have agreed to pay
him. (Plus more down the road, of course.)

It will be interesting to see where Ekeler ends up and for how much.

Will anyone sign Kelley?

--Robin

Re: ESPN.com: Chargers agree to two year deal with Baltimore RB Gus Edwards

<l59bhlFc0gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4366&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4366

From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Edwards
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:31:32 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:31 UTC

Robin Miller wrote:
> phlash74 wrote:
>> https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39709972/rb-gus-edwards-get-2-year-deal-chargers
>>

>> Source: RB Gus Edwards to get 2-year deal with Chargers
>> play
>> ESPN
>> Mar 11, 2024, 04:30 PM ET
>>
>> Baltimore Ravens free agent running back Gus Edwards has agreed to a
>> two-year contract with the Los Angeles Chargers, a source told ESPN's
>> Adam Schefter on Monday.
>>
>> Edwards now will be reunited with former Ravens and current Chargers
>> offensive coordinator Greg Roman. And he now goes from being coached
>> by John Harbaugh to his brother Jim.
>>
>> His addition to the Chargers comes as running back Austin Ekeler is a
>> pending unrestricted free agent.
>>
>> Edwards has been a major reason why the Ravens produced the most
>> rushing yards (17,484) in the NFL since 2018. Despite sharing the
>> backfield with Mark Ingram and J.K. Dobbins, he has run for 3,395
>> yards, the most by a Baltimore running back over the last six seasons.
>>
>> In 2023, after Dobbins suffered a season-ending Achilles injury in
>> Week 1, Edwards took over as Baltimore's primary back and repeatedly
>> found the end zone, although he lacked his usual explosiveness. His 13
>> touchdown runs were tied for the third-most by an NFL rushing back
>> last season, and he fell one shy of tying the Ravens' single-season
>> franchise record. But he averaged 4.1 yards per carry, the first time
>> in his career that he was held under five yards per attempt.
>>
>> Edwards, 28, and Nick Chubb are the only two players in NFL history to
>> start their career with three straight seasons of 700-plus rushing
>> yards and at least 5.0 yards per carry. That streak ended just four
>> days before the 2021 regular-season opener, when he tore an ACL in
>> practice. He has since returned to play the next two seasons, becoming
>> the team's most consistent runner between the tackles.
>>
>> After going undrafted out of Rutgers in 2018, Edwards cracked the
>> starting lineup as a rookie once Lamar Jackson took over as the
>> starting quarterback midway through that season and Baltimore switched
>> to a run-pass option offense. He owns the most rushing yards and
>> rushing touchdowns (26) by an undrafted player in Ravens history.
>>
>> ESPN's Jamison Hensley contributed to this report.
>

> Seems like a pretty good add, although he's not a receiver, with a total
> of 30 career receptions. He seems pretty durable, missing only 2021 and
> half of 2022. I don't know if the 2022 absence was from the ACL injury
> mentioned above.

Actually, checking his 2022 game logs, he missed the first six games of
the season, and two later, so this probably was all recovery time from
the ACL.

> https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdwaGu00.htm
>
> So the Chargers now have to clear $20M plus what they have agreed to pay
> him. (Plus more down the road, of course.)
>
> It will be interesting to see where Ekeler ends up and for how much.
>
> Will anyone sign Kelley?
>
> --Robin

Re: ESPN.com: Chargers agree to two year deal with Baltimore RB Gus Edwards

<usntc2$3r7dp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4367&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4367

From: phlash74@gmail.com (phlash74)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Edwards
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:33:54 -0700
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:33 UTC

On 3/11/24 2:20 PM, Robin Miller wrote:
> phlash74 wrote:
>> https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39709972/rb-gus-edwards-get-2-year-deal-chargers
>>
>> Source: RB Gus Edwards to get 2-year deal with Chargers
>> play
>> ESPN
>> Mar 11, 2024, 04:30 PM ET
>>
>> Baltimore Ravens free agent running back Gus Edwards has agreed to a
>> two-year contract with the Los Angeles Chargers, a source told ESPN's
>> Adam Schefter on Monday.
>>
>> Edwards now will be reunited with former Ravens and current Chargers
>> offensive coordinator Greg Roman. And he now goes from being coached
>> by John Harbaugh to his brother Jim.
>>
>> His addition to the Chargers comes as running back Austin Ekeler is a
>> pending unrestricted free agent.
>>
>> Edwards has been a major reason why the Ravens produced the most
>> rushing yards (17,484) in the NFL since 2018. Despite sharing the
>> backfield with Mark Ingram and J.K. Dobbins, he has run for 3,395
>> yards, the most by a Baltimore running back over the last six seasons.
>>
>> In 2023, after Dobbins suffered a season-ending Achilles injury in
>> Week 1, Edwards took over as Baltimore's primary back and repeatedly
>> found the end zone, although he lacked his usual explosiveness. His 13
>> touchdown runs were tied for the third-most by an NFL rushing back
>> last season, and he fell one shy of tying the Ravens' single-season
>> franchise record. But he averaged 4.1 yards per carry, the first time
>> in his career that he was held under five yards per attempt.
>>
>> Edwards, 28, and Nick Chubb are the only two players in NFL history to
>> start their career with three straight seasons of 700-plus rushing
>> yards and at least 5.0 yards per carry. That streak ended just four
>> days before the 2021 regular-season opener, when he tore an ACL in
>> practice. He has since returned to play the next two seasons, becoming
>> the team's most consistent runner between the tackles.
>>
>> After going undrafted out of Rutgers in 2018, Edwards cracked the
>> starting lineup as a rookie once Lamar Jackson took over as the
>> starting quarterback midway through that season and Baltimore switched
>> to a run-pass option offense. He owns the most rushing yards and
>> rushing touchdowns (26) by an undrafted player in Ravens history.
>>
>> ESPN's Jamison Hensley contributed to this report.
>

> Seems like a pretty good add, although he's not a receiver, with a total
> of 30 career receptions. He seems pretty durable, missing only 2021 and
> half of 2022. I don't know if the 2022 absence was from the ACL injury
> mentioned above.
>
> https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdwaGu00.htm
>
> So the Chargers now have to clear $20M plus what they have agreed to pay
> him. (Plus more down the road, of course.)
>
> It will be interesting to see where Ekeler ends up and for how much.
>
> Will anyone sign Kelley?
>
> --Robin

Just saw on Twitter (not sure of source) that it is allegedly $7 million
over the two years, so $3.5 million per. Nice pickup at a good price.

Yes, he missed the first six games of 2022 while still rehabbing the ACL
injury, he played two games and then missed two more due to a hamstring.
Other than that, he's played every game since 2019.

I'd still expect them to draft a RB on day two or three. I don't think
there's any chance Ekeler comes back now.

Michael

Re: ESPN.com: Chargers agree to two year deal with Baltimore RB Gus Edwards

<l59c46FephU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4368&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4368

From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Edwards
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:41:24 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:41 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> [...]
>> ACL injury mentioned above.
>>
>> https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdwaGu00.htm
>>
>> So the Chargers now have to clear $20M plus what they have agreed to
>> pay him. (Plus more down the road, of course.)
>>
>> It will be interesting to see where Ekeler ends up and for how much.
>>
>> Will anyone sign Kelley?
>>
>> --Robin
>>

> Just saw on Twitter (not sure of source) that it is allegedly $7 million
> over the two years, so $3.5 million per. Nice pickup at a good price.
>
> Yes, he missed the first six games of 2022 while still rehabbing the ACL
> injury, he played two games and then missed two more due to a hamstring.
> Other than that, he's played every game since 2019.
>
> I'd still expect them to draft a RB on day two or three. I don't think
> there's any chance Ekeler comes back now.

That sounds like a great deal for the Chargers. Thanks for the info!

--Robin